Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › First Build, For gaming, overclocking, video production.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First Build, For gaming, overclocking, video production. - Page 2

post #11 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiryama View Post

Sounds good then man! never used them before so can't speak to it. Started using WD one day and haven't had one fail on me yet so! biggrin.gif

Just ditch the second set of ram, swamp out current for a 4 x 4gb . (Which still leaves you room to upgrade to a second 4x4 in future if you really dive into video editing and HAVE to have more ram)

Edit- response to second post

Yes however the board has 8DIMMs, if you just use 4 stick that will still work since it is quad channel. You just want to use 4 total instead of just 2. So you would use all 4 of the Grey/Black whicever the motherboard manual says to populate first.
Okay so you are saying instead of going 4*8 go 4*4
I am looking through the memory on newegg and can't see anything pop out at me
except for this kit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G2HZ2330
Timing 15-16-16
and 3000 speed seems really good to me
except for the fact that its almost the same price as my 32gb kit.. Would this still be worth it? Paying for lower speed memory at half the amount with better timing but almost the same price? What kit should I got for? I need it black/white.
post #12 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cainy1991 View Post

Haha... you say that now, but modding is an additive business.

I just went back to my old 290x I had before the 970(sold it for a profit biggrin.gif), Still has massive slow downs when the VRAM tops out.. but gives a much better experience than the 970 did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiryama View Post

Video editing will be able to take the VRAM into consideration and the R9 390 will have 8gb as well as full DX12 support righht now - the GTX970 only has 4gb of ram so you will see a larger performance from the VRAM aspect of things. Also if you wanted to OC the graphics card then you could fairly easily and basically have a 390X for lower cost! thumb.gif

Quick synopsis of what I linked to in the thread comparing the 2:
Edit - The Sapphire Radeon R9 390 is Black and Small amount of silver. Could repaint if it bothered you that it is silver not white.

Well I can barely run Skyrim now so modding hasn't been an option but I guess we will have to see.. But having the VRAM high would be a safe route to take.
Thanks for your feedback guys, now I just need to find a ram kit and a r9 390 I like.

Does the rest of the build look good? Ready to be bought?
I forgot to say Im getting this cable mod kit once it comes back into stock with the build. Not like it matters but maybe it does.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cablemod-c-series-axi-hxi-rm-cable-kit-white.html
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerNinja View Post

Okay so you are saying instead of going 4*8 go 4*4
I am looking through the memory on newegg and can't see anything pop out at me
except for this kit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G2HZ2330
Timing 15-16-16
and 3000 speed seems really good to me
except for the fact that its almost the same price as my 32gb kit.. Would this still be worth it? Paying for lower speed memory at half the amount with better timing but almost the same price? What kit should I got for? I need it black/white.
That is totally unnecessary amount of speed. Kingston beast 1866 4x4 would do just well!
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiryama View Post

That is totally unnecessary amount of speed. Kingston beast 1866 4x4 would do just well!

http://www.overclock.net/t/1586767/digital-foundry-memory-overclocking-and-how-it-affects-fps-in-8-different-games

Did you miss this one?


And yeah man other than that the build looks great.
New(old) build
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3 1231-V3 gigabyte GA-H97N GTX 1060 G-skill lifetime 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x WD green 1x ocz agility SSD  Modded deepcool Gammaxx Windows 8.1 with classic shell for games. 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Fedora KDE for everything else.  Yamakasi catleap q270 Gamdias hermes ultimate  EVGA G2 750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Core V1 G303 - Hand cancer edition.  goliathus  AKG k240  
  hide details  
Reply
New(old) build
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3 1231-V3 gigabyte GA-H97N GTX 1060 G-skill lifetime 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x WD green 1x ocz agility SSD  Modded deepcool Gammaxx Windows 8.1 with classic shell for games. 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Fedora KDE for everything else.  Yamakasi catleap q270 Gamdias hermes ultimate  EVGA G2 750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Core V1 G303 - Hand cancer edition.  goliathus  AKG k240  
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cainy1991 View Post

http://www.overclock.net/t/1586767/digital-foundry-memory-overclocking-and-how-it-affects-fps-in-8-different-games

Did you miss this one?


And yeah man other than that the build looks great.
Nope I recall it, but that is a completely different chipset than what he will be using not to mention that is DDR4 not DDR3 that I had listed which brings me to a very good point... I accidentally looked up DDr3 not 4 redface.gif

Edit - I would go with 2 of these then: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz Comes out to $110 still saving you $90 from prior set up
Edited by Jiryama - 1/20/16 at 7:54pm
post #16 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiryama View Post

That is totally unnecessary amount of speed. Kingston beast 1866 4x4 would do just well!
Isn't one of the main points of ddr4 is to Utilize ram speeds, for fps and other stuffs and whatever.
post #17 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiryama View Post



Edit - I would go with 2 of these then: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz Comes out to $110 still saving you $90 from prior set up
How about a set of these
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231901
Slightly higher latency but higher speeds.
post #18 of 22
CAS Timings are all specified in number of clock cycles, not time, so a bigger number can still have a lower actual latency.

3200 CAS16 has a real CAS latency of 16/1600*10^6 = 10ns,
3000 CAS15 takes 15/1500*10^6 = 10ns.

Sure it is technically higher speed but an increase in latency with speed makes it no faster than the other one. In short - Doesn't matter which one you go with both will perform similarly.

(Someone correct me if I am wrong - RAM is not my strong suite if I have one.)
Edited by Jiryama - 1/20/16 at 8:17pm
post #19 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiryama View Post

CAS Timings are all specified in number of clock cycles, not time, so a bigger number can still have a lower actual latency.

3200 CAS16 has a real CAS latency of 16/1600*10^6 = 10ns,
3000 CAS15 takes 15/1500*10^6 = 10ns.

Sure it is technically higher speed but an increase in latency with speed makes it no faster than the other one. In short - Doesn't matter which one you go with both will perform similarly.

(Someone correct me if I am wrong - RAM is not my strong suite if I have one.)
That's confusing.. If I have the money now and don't want to upgrade later maybe I should just get the 32gb and be done with it?
Also why are there so little 390 their is literally no white card.
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerNinja View Post

That's confusing.. If I have the money now and don't want to upgrade later maybe I should just get the 32gb and be done with it?
Also why are there so little 390 their is literally no white card.
Basically - You won't see a huge performance increase. Even Foundry only saw a 4 or less fps increase.
Your call buddy - personal preference. I doubt you will use anything over 12gb so 16 is just fine. But like I mentioned it is personal preference, if you have the money to spend and are intent, go for it. In your situation though i think it is misplaced money.

Couldn't tell you on the color scheme side of things, could always paint the covering on that Sapphire that I linked ye.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › First Build, For gaming, overclocking, video production.