Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [OC3D] AMD's Zen will have a "greater than 40%" IPC improvement over Excavator, says Lisa Su
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[OC3D] AMD's Zen will have a "greater than 40%" IPC improvement over Excavator, says Lisa Su - Page 31

post #301 of 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Robot View Post

Intel invented HyperThreading, but AMD invented Hype Threading wink.gif

I think you were just setting up the joke, but just in case--for the record Intel did not invent SMT.
post #302 of 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by looncraz View Post

Did you just misspeak? IPC is performance per clock/cycle. A lower frequency would be bad no matter what.

If, however, you meant "40% more performance at a significantly lower frequency," then, yes, that would be awesome - and would need more than 40% IPC required to accomplish that.

Well, IPC stands for instructions per cycle. Can't really say performance per clock/cycle because you need to account for cycles per second (frequency) as well.
post #303 of 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdarkreap3rxx View Post

Well, IPC stands for instructions per cycle. Can't really say performance per clock/cycle because you need to account for cycles per second (frequency) as well.

You're correct. I didn't want to out his thoughts or opinion it's just something fun to stare at as I do hold respect for looncraz. You as well. Just sometimes it's best to shut up, so I shut myself up. He's programmer knows tons about IPC and it's general influence. However you don't have to have the same ghz to complete more instructions in a cycle, so you're right as well as his interpretation.
Edited by SpeedyVT - 1/26/16 at 8:57am
Power Tower
(22 items)
 
SteamBox
(9 items)
 
Doge Miner
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1700X AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Radeon R9 200 Series G.Skill DDR4-2400 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
G.Skill DDR4-2400 G.Skill DDR4-2400 G.Skill DDR4-2400 Samsung 840 Pro 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
CX300 Crucial 480GB Toshiba 4TB Toshbia 4TB Western Digital Black 1TB 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
h110i Windows 10 42" LG TV 20" Digitizer ASUS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance Mechanical Keyboard  850watt Vampire Gold Rated NZXT S340 Elite Corsair RGB FPS Mouse 
Mouse PadAudio
Borderlands Mousepad Realtek HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Power Tower
(22 items)
 
SteamBox
(9 items)
 
Doge Miner
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1700X AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Radeon R9 200 Series G.Skill DDR4-2400 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
G.Skill DDR4-2400 G.Skill DDR4-2400 G.Skill DDR4-2400 Samsung 840 Pro 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
CX300 Crucial 480GB Toshiba 4TB Toshbia 4TB Western Digital Black 1TB 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
h110i Windows 10 42" LG TV 20" Digitizer ASUS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance Mechanical Keyboard  850watt Vampire Gold Rated NZXT S340 Elite Corsair RGB FPS Mouse 
Mouse PadAudio
Borderlands Mousepad Realtek HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #304 of 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyVT View Post

You're correct. I didn't want to out his thoughts or opinion it's just something fun to stare at as I do hold respect for looncraz. You as well. Just sometimes it's best to shut up, so I shut myself up. He's programmer knows tons about IPC and it's general influence. However you don't have to have the same ghz to complete more instructions in a cycle.

I don't even know what you're referencing lol. I just opened up the thread to the newest post, saw that, and replied. Really have no idea what the context is about here (as usual) biggrin.gif
post #305 of 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdarkreap3rxx View Post

I don't even know what you're referencing lol. I just opened up the thread to the newest post, saw that, and replied. Really have no idea what the context is about here (as usual) biggrin.gif

I know the feeling! tongue.gif However 40% IPC is outstanding, I wonder what frequency they judge it's gain at. Is it by stock clock of two different chips or not. We really don't know their baseline.
Power Tower
(22 items)
 
SteamBox
(9 items)
 
Doge Miner
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1700X AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Radeon R9 200 Series G.Skill DDR4-2400 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
G.Skill DDR4-2400 G.Skill DDR4-2400 G.Skill DDR4-2400 Samsung 840 Pro 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
CX300 Crucial 480GB Toshiba 4TB Toshbia 4TB Western Digital Black 1TB 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
h110i Windows 10 42" LG TV 20" Digitizer ASUS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance Mechanical Keyboard  850watt Vampire Gold Rated NZXT S340 Elite Corsair RGB FPS Mouse 
Mouse PadAudio
Borderlands Mousepad Realtek HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Power Tower
(22 items)
 
SteamBox
(9 items)
 
Doge Miner
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1700X AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Radeon R9 200 Series G.Skill DDR4-2400 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
G.Skill DDR4-2400 G.Skill DDR4-2400 G.Skill DDR4-2400 Samsung 840 Pro 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
CX300 Crucial 480GB Toshiba 4TB Toshbia 4TB Western Digital Black 1TB 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
h110i Windows 10 42" LG TV 20" Digitizer ASUS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance Mechanical Keyboard  850watt Vampire Gold Rated NZXT S340 Elite Corsair RGB FPS Mouse 
Mouse PadAudio
Borderlands Mousepad Realtek HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #306 of 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyVT View Post

You're correct. I didn't want to out his thoughts or opinion it's just something fun to stare at as I do hold respect for looncraz. You as well. Just sometimes it's best to shut up, so I shut myself up. He's programmer knows tons about IPC and it's general influence. However you don't have to have the same ghz to complete more instructions in a cycle, so you're right as well as his interpretation.

Your original comment:
Quote:
That's good news if it's 40% more IPC at a significantly lower frequency. It may make higher benches than we can expect.

This is backwards. 40% higher IPC and a lower frequency is worse than 40% higher IPC and the same frequency.

If you meant 40% higher performance at a lower frequency, then your comment makes sense.
post #307 of 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdarkreap3rxx View Post

Well, IPC stands for instructions per cycle. Can't really say performance per clock/cycle because you need to account for cycles per second (frequency) as well.

There is one cycle per clock, the rate at which those pass is irrelevant. If you have multiple cycles per clock (which can happen, of course - but not on any x86 CPU of which I am aware), then there's a difference.

If you care about the end performance over a period of time, then it is IPS (instructions per second).
post #308 of 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by looncraz View Post

There is one cycle per clock, the rate at which those pass is irrelevant. If you have multiple cycles per clock (which can happen, of course - but not on any x86 CPU of which I am aware), then there's a difference.

If you care about the end performance over a period of time, then it is IPS (instructions per second).

That's exactly what I said. Instructions per cycle (IPC) and cycles per second (frequency) = performance.
post #309 of 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by looncraz View Post

Your original comment:
This is backwards. 40% higher IPC and a lower frequency is worse than 40% higher IPC and the same frequency.

If you meant 40% higher performance at a lower frequency, then your comment makes sense.

What I'm saying is that often AMD compares IPC according to the stock clocks like they did with their FX series or their APUs. So they'll often compare a stock 2.7ghz processor to a 3.2ghz processor and well the 3.2ghz processor has more IPC. So we don't know if they're comparing IPC by clock for clock or stock for stock.

Is it a stock Excavator desktop IPC at 3.7ghz is 40% slower than a stock Zen processor at 2.7ghz, we don't know how they imply it.

I messaged a representative at AMD I'll fill us in as soon as I get a response.
Edited by SpeedyVT - 1/26/16 at 10:20am
Power Tower
(22 items)
 
SteamBox
(9 items)
 
Doge Miner
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1700X AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Radeon R9 200 Series G.Skill DDR4-2400 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
G.Skill DDR4-2400 G.Skill DDR4-2400 G.Skill DDR4-2400 Samsung 840 Pro 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
CX300 Crucial 480GB Toshiba 4TB Toshbia 4TB Western Digital Black 1TB 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
h110i Windows 10 42" LG TV 20" Digitizer ASUS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance Mechanical Keyboard  850watt Vampire Gold Rated NZXT S340 Elite Corsair RGB FPS Mouse 
Mouse PadAudio
Borderlands Mousepad Realtek HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Power Tower
(22 items)
 
SteamBox
(9 items)
 
Doge Miner
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1700X AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Radeon R9 200 Series G.Skill DDR4-2400 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
G.Skill DDR4-2400 G.Skill DDR4-2400 G.Skill DDR4-2400 Samsung 840 Pro 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
CX300 Crucial 480GB Toshiba 4TB Toshbia 4TB Western Digital Black 1TB 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
h110i Windows 10 42" LG TV 20" Digitizer ASUS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance Mechanical Keyboard  850watt Vampire Gold Rated NZXT S340 Elite Corsair RGB FPS Mouse 
Mouse PadAudio
Borderlands Mousepad Realtek HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #310 of 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyVT View Post

What I'm saying is that often AMD compares IPC according to the stock clocks like they did with their FX series or their APUs. So they'll often compare a stock 2.7ghz processor to a 3.2ghz processor and well the 3.2ghz processor has more IPC. So we don't know if they're comparing IPC by clock for clock or stock for stock.

Is it a stock Excavator desktop IPC at 3.7ghz is 40% slower than a stock Zen processor at 2.7ghz, we don't know how they imply it.

I messaged a representative at AMD I'll fill us in as soon as I get a response.
Frequency does not matter one bit when comparing IPC. IPC is how many instructions can be carried out per clock/cycle. If one cpu can do 1 operation per cycle, and another one does 2, that's double the IPC. But if the first one is clocked to 2Ghz (2 billion cycles per second), and the second one is clocked to 1Ghz, they perform just as many operations per second. IPC * Hz = performance.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [OC3D] AMD's Zen will have a "greater than 40%" IPC improvement over Excavator, says Lisa Su