Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [OC3D] AMD's Zen will have a "greater than 40%" IPC improvement over Excavator, says Lisa Su
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[OC3D] AMD's Zen will have a "greater than 40%" IPC improvement over Excavator, says Lisa Su - Page 48

post #471 of 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by looncraz View Post

If AMD makes a 16-core die on 14nm LPP, I'd be quite surprised. The margin should be there to make it a viable product, though... however, a 16-core CPU with dual channel memory!?!? Doubtful.

Well, a 16C die on the 14nm node should be quite possible from a size standpoint, if a bit large. Maybe 400-430mm^2. My question though is how they're going to arrange the cores and their associated chunk of L3 cache on this thing. Pretty sure that will have an effect on how big the die ends up.
Leviathan
(17 items)
 
Charred
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Xeon E5-2690 Biostar TPower X79 PNY GTX 660 2GB HP GT 440 OEM 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Gskill Ripjaws 4x2GB 1600mhz Seagate Barracuda 500GB Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB Western Digital Caviar Blue 640GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Patriot Pyro 60GB Xigmatek Gaia Windows 7 Ultimate Acer S230HL 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Princeton 1280x1024 19" Logitech K120 Seasonic G550 Xclio Nighthawk 
Mouse
Logitech MX310 
  hide details  
Reply
Leviathan
(17 items)
 
Charred
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Xeon E5-2690 Biostar TPower X79 PNY GTX 660 2GB HP GT 440 OEM 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Gskill Ripjaws 4x2GB 1600mhz Seagate Barracuda 500GB Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB Western Digital Caviar Blue 640GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Patriot Pyro 60GB Xigmatek Gaia Windows 7 Ultimate Acer S230HL 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Princeton 1280x1024 19" Logitech K120 Seasonic G550 Xclio Nighthawk 
Mouse
Logitech MX310 
  hide details  
Reply
post #472 of 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrious View Post

Well, a 16C die on the 14nm node should be quite possible from a size standpoint, if a bit large. Maybe 400-430mm^2. My question though is how they're going to arrange the cores and their associated chunk of L3 cache on this thing. Pretty sure that will have an effect on how big the die ends up.

They'd probably have four L3 cache groups and a ring bus if they were to go that route.
post #473 of 841
For most users a 8 core E type FX is more than adequate. My wife is very happy with her air cooled 16 Gb, 4.3Ghz 8350. But I like to OC and game.
Disappointed that the Saberkitty died, and the Extreme9 can't get much more out the 9590. Meh, It gets the job done.
I think AMD will continue making AM3+ and FM2+ chips and sets as long as they keep selling. I think that they quit production on the Thubans too early. I wanted to replace my 960T with a 1100T, but by the time I got round to it, 8 core was the thing and ebay was the only option for Thubans. Plus needed another Mobo that could deliver the juice. The MSI 890fx_GD70 Mobo is a little bit short on juice. It would be fine with a E type FX.
With SSD drives, AMD systems are not that slow for most uses.
The 960T (95 watt ver) on a a Giga 760 USB 3 board actually is good for casual use. It plays blu-ray as well as the 9590 box does and does not need a a video card to do it. Pretty much any FM2+ system can do that too, quietly.
Once your R& D costs have been recovered it makes sense to keep producing product as long people are buying and there is room to continue with production..
post #474 of 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by looncraz View Post

They'd probably have four L3 cache groups and a ring bus if they were to go that route.
Yeah I figured as much, I'm talking about physical arrangement of the hardware on the die. If the core-cache arrangement is in what I'll refer to for now as the "Flat 4" (2 pairs of cores on each side of the central L3 cache block) arrangement, how the hell are they going to sanely place those on the die? If they were in the "Straight 4" arrangement (cores on one side, L3 cache on the other) like how Intel does it with pretty much everything they currently make, I'd see how it could be done.

All really depends on how big the Zen cores are in physical size.
Leviathan
(17 items)
 
Charred
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Xeon E5-2690 Biostar TPower X79 PNY GTX 660 2GB HP GT 440 OEM 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Gskill Ripjaws 4x2GB 1600mhz Seagate Barracuda 500GB Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB Western Digital Caviar Blue 640GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Patriot Pyro 60GB Xigmatek Gaia Windows 7 Ultimate Acer S230HL 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Princeton 1280x1024 19" Logitech K120 Seasonic G550 Xclio Nighthawk 
Mouse
Logitech MX310 
  hide details  
Reply
Leviathan
(17 items)
 
Charred
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Xeon E5-2690 Biostar TPower X79 PNY GTX 660 2GB HP GT 440 OEM 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Gskill Ripjaws 4x2GB 1600mhz Seagate Barracuda 500GB Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB Western Digital Caviar Blue 640GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Patriot Pyro 60GB Xigmatek Gaia Windows 7 Ultimate Acer S230HL 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Princeton 1280x1024 19" Logitech K120 Seasonic G550 Xclio Nighthawk 
Mouse
Logitech MX310 
  hide details  
Reply
post #475 of 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrious View Post

Yeah I figured as much, I'm talking about physical arrangement of the hardware on the die. If the core-cache arrangement is in what I'll refer to for now as the "Flat 4" (2 pairs of cores on each side of the central L3 cache block) arrangement, how the hell are they going to sanely place those on the die? If they were in the "Straight 4" arrangement (cores on one side, L3 cache on the other) like how Intel does it with pretty much everything they currently make, I'd see how it could be done.

All really depends on how big the Zen cores are in physical size.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 100
post #476 of 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by looncraz View Post

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 100
Holy s***
A big ass Integrated GPU, 16 cores, HBM stack (for the IGP, I presume) plus an additionnal quad channel DDR4 memory controller all on the same DIE?!!! That's just freakin impossible.... well atleast not for the consumer market biggrin.gif
Edited by DarkBlade6 - 2/13/16 at 11:52am
post #477 of 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by looncraz View Post

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 100
Is that from an official slide or is that just Fud's crap?
Leviathan
(17 items)
 
Charred
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Xeon E5-2690 Biostar TPower X79 PNY GTX 660 2GB HP GT 440 OEM 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Gskill Ripjaws 4x2GB 1600mhz Seagate Barracuda 500GB Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB Western Digital Caviar Blue 640GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Patriot Pyro 60GB Xigmatek Gaia Windows 7 Ultimate Acer S230HL 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Princeton 1280x1024 19" Logitech K120 Seasonic G550 Xclio Nighthawk 
Mouse
Logitech MX310 
  hide details  
Reply
Leviathan
(17 items)
 
Charred
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Xeon E5-2690 Biostar TPower X79 PNY GTX 660 2GB HP GT 440 OEM 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Gskill Ripjaws 4x2GB 1600mhz Seagate Barracuda 500GB Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB Western Digital Caviar Blue 640GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Patriot Pyro 60GB Xigmatek Gaia Windows 7 Ultimate Acer S230HL 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Princeton 1280x1024 19" Logitech K120 Seasonic G550 Xclio Nighthawk 
Mouse
Logitech MX310 
  hide details  
Reply
post #478 of 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithh View Post

No, it's a 2x 16 core config in a single die. So it's a quad channel DDR4 controller.

Unless AMD will make a separate design to be used only in server parts, each Zen die has up to eight cores and dual channel memory. This has been stated in the roadmaps also. They didn´t do this even when they were financially in much better condition (2011), so why do you expect they will do it now when they are at the edge of bankruptcy? MCM is a no-brainer especially when they are replacing the socket at the same time (socket could be designed to physically fit many separate dies).
post #479 of 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBlade6 View Post

Holy s***
A big ass Integrated GPU, 16 cores, HBM stack (for the IGP, I presume) plus an additionnal quad channel DDR4 memory controller all on the same DIE?!!! That's just freakin impossible.... well atleast not for the consumer market biggrin.gif

Why? We really don't know how big the AM4 socket will be.
post #480 of 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post

each Zen die has up to eight cores and dual channel memory.

Tell you what, when you're wrong about this I'm going to force feed you a serving of crow pie.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [OC3D] AMD's Zen will have a "greater than 40%" IPC improvement over Excavator, says Lisa Su