Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [OC3D/TF] Pascal GP100 Titan coming as early as April and the GP104 GTX 1080/1070 to launch in June
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[OC3D/TF] Pascal GP100 Titan coming as early as April and the GP104 GTX 1080/1070 to launch in June - Page 8  

post #71 of 293
Titan V. It will be the 5th titan card
Daily Rig
(21 items)
 
Bench Setup
(19 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k 4.7Ghz @ 1.28vcore / 1.88vccin Gigabyte x99 SOC Champion EVGA GTX 1080Ti G.SKILL Trident Z 32GB 3200Mhz CL14 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2x Intel 520 120Gb SSD in RAID 0  Intel 180Gb 530 SSD OS Drive 2Tb WD HDD  2x Intel 730 SSD 480GB in RAID 0 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2x HWLabs GTX360 Black Ice in Push Pull EK blocks for CPU / GPU's 6x corsair sp120 2350RPM 6x Ek Vardar 120 F4's 2200rpm  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
windows 10 XB270HU 2560x1440 - 144Hz - G-sync Razor blackwidow cooler master V1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 780T EVGA TORQ x10 evga mouse pad 2.1 audio / Hyper X cloud II / Sennheiser Gam... 
Other
EK pump / res 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
6600k Z170M OC Formula GTX780Ti AMD HD6450 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Trident Z 3600Mhz cl16 2x8GB 120Gb intel 520 120Gb intel 520 64Gb adata ssd  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
750Gb WD Black Sony  F1 Gemini CPU Pot Tek - 9 Fat 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
custom loop two 240rad's xp,W7,W8,W10 x-star 2560x1440  Rosewill Quark-650 Platinum / Antec HCP-850 Pla... 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Dimastech Mini V1.0 black razor abyssus Razor 
  hide details  
Daily Rig
(21 items)
 
Bench Setup
(19 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k 4.7Ghz @ 1.28vcore / 1.88vccin Gigabyte x99 SOC Champion EVGA GTX 1080Ti G.SKILL Trident Z 32GB 3200Mhz CL14 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2x Intel 520 120Gb SSD in RAID 0  Intel 180Gb 530 SSD OS Drive 2Tb WD HDD  2x Intel 730 SSD 480GB in RAID 0 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2x HWLabs GTX360 Black Ice in Push Pull EK blocks for CPU / GPU's 6x corsair sp120 2350RPM 6x Ek Vardar 120 F4's 2200rpm  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
windows 10 XB270HU 2560x1440 - 144Hz - G-sync Razor blackwidow cooler master V1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 780T EVGA TORQ x10 evga mouse pad 2.1 audio / Hyper X cloud II / Sennheiser Gam... 
Other
EK pump / res 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
6600k Z170M OC Formula GTX780Ti AMD HD6450 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Trident Z 3600Mhz cl16 2x8GB 120Gb intel 520 120Gb intel 520 64Gb adata ssd  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
750Gb WD Black Sony  F1 Gemini CPU Pot Tek - 9 Fat 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
custom loop two 240rad's xp,W7,W8,W10 x-star 2560x1440  Rosewill Quark-650 Platinum / Antec HCP-850 Pla... 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Dimastech Mini V1.0 black razor abyssus Razor 
  hide details  
post #72 of 293
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post

GTX670 = 4GB
GTX770 = 4GB
GTX970 = 4GB (3.5+0.5)

GTX680 = 4GB
GTX780 = 3GB GK110* (6GB in latter revisions)
GTX980 = 4GB

aside fermi cards and 780 being a full die, most of them are of the 104 variations with 4GB VRAM, i don't see what you're seeing.

No:

GTX 670: 2GB
GTX 770: 2GB
GTX 970: 4GB

GTX 680: 2GB
GTX 780: 3GB
GTX 980: 4GB

Let's not use the fact that there were options to get larger VRAM cards, as them being the amounts that the cards launched at.
post #73 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG StroOnZ View Post

No:

GTX 670: 2GB
GTX 770: 2GB
GTX 970: 4GB

GTX 680: 2GB
GTX 780: 3GB
GTX 980: 4GB

Let's not use the fact that there were options to get larger VRAM cards, as them being the amounts that the cards launched at.

but its a fact, 4GB is the norm.
they released at low capacities because GDDR5 chips didn't have the capacity to support larger VRAM pools.
post #74 of 293
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post

but its a fact, 4GB is the norm.
they released at low capacities because GDDR5 chips didn't have the capacity to support larger VRAM pools.

No, was the norm. Having 4GB or 6GB options is nothing new. But it will now become the minimum standard.
Edited by BiG StroOnZ - 1/26/16 at 2:10am
post #75 of 293
as i've said, i'm not arguing that more VRAM is better, rather i'm saying that 4GB VRAM isn't too anemic even on the newer games that can utilize VRAM upwards of 8GB.

with the fact that 104 variants all have 256bit, this means it'll be limited to 4GB or 8GB at most, depending on GDDR5/X max capacity.
the current trend is GDDR5X will have a 8Gbit chip capacity, means it'll have a maximum of 8Gbit x 8chips (256bit bus) = 8GByte of VRAM pool.

in this case, depending on when GDDR5X 8Gbit chips will be available, 3GB/4GB variants would probably be the initial release.

GTX 1050 - GP106 (or 107) - 128bit GDDR5 2GB
GTX 1050Ti - GP106 (or 107) - 128bit GDDR5 4GB
GTX 1060 - GP104 - 192bit GDDR5X 3GB / 6GB
GTX 1070 - GP104 - 256bit GDDR5X 4GB / 8GB

this would be highly likely, as you've pointed out they tend to "release" the lowest capacities first, and later add a much more impressive card.



as for the GP100 chips, HBM would be a bit of a different topic, since 4x HBM chips will require a buswidth of 4096bit with 8GB / 16GB capacities.
but in this case, can HBM be ran with only 3chips? e.g. 3x HBM2 = 3072bit with 6GB / 12GB capacities.
GTX 1080 - GP100 - 3072bit HBM2 6GB / 12GB
GTX 1080 Ti - GP100 - 4096bit HBM2 8GB
GTX Titan Y - GP100 - 4096bit HBM2 16GB

on the other hand, theres a much more believable although excessively amazing scenario.
GTX 1080 - GP100 - 2048bit HBM2 8GB (4Hi stack ~ 409GB/s)
GTX 1080 Ti - GP100 - 3072bit HBM2 12GB (4Hi stack ~ 614GB/s)
GTX Titan Y - GP100 - 3072bit HBM2 24GB (8Hi stack ~ 768GB/s)

the thing is, HBM2 has double the bandwidth of HBM1, and has a maximum capacity of 8GB (8Hi stack) per chip!
this means to say, even half the buswidth can have an equal bandwidth of 409GB/s for 4Hi stack HBM2.
logically speaking, even 2048bit buswidth has 20% more bandwidth than Titan X, on top of the cost savings of using less HBM chips and a narrower buswidth.
Edited by epic1337 - 1/26/16 at 2:44am
post #76 of 293
Considering that the 970 is the most popular card on Steam, I'd say 3.5GB is now the standard. tongue.gif
post #77 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilchronic View Post

Titan V. It will be the 5th titan card
Titan XXY if they release a hybrid like Fury.
BTW it's gonna be hilarious if Pascal Titan with HBM2 drops in March/April and AMD still wouldn't have released Gemini by then. I just hope they won't delay Polaris until Q4 2016 cause nvidia will be able to set the price on GP100 cards however they want.
Edited by Klocek001 - 1/26/16 at 2:27am
post #78 of 293
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post

as i've said, i'm not arguing that more VRAM is better, rather i'm saying that 4GB VRAM isn't too anemic even on the newer games that can utilize VRAM upwards of 8GB.

with the fact that 104 variants all have 256bit, this means it'll be limited to 4GB or 8GB at most, depending on GDDR5/X max capacity.
the current trend is GDDR5X will have a 8Gbit chip capacity, means it'll have a maximum of 8Gbit x 8chips (256bit bus) = 8GByte of VRAM pool.

in this case, depending on when GDDR5X 8Gbit chips will be available, 3GB/4GB variants would probably be the initial release.

GTX 1050 - GP106 (or 107) - 128bit GDDR5 2GB
GTX 1050Ti - GP106 (or 107) - 128bit GDDR5 4GB
GTX 1060 - GP104 - 192bit GDDR5X 3GB / 6GB
GTX 1070 - GP104 - 256bit GDDR5X 4GB / 8GB

this would be highly likely, as you've pointed out they tend to "release" the lowest capacities first, and later add a much more impressive card.


as for the GP100 chips, HBM would be a bit of a different topic, since 4x HBM chips will require a buswidth of 4096bit with 8GB / 16GB capacities.
but in this case, can HBM be ran with only 3chips? e.g. 3x HBM2 = 3072bit with 6GB / 12GB capacities.
GTX 1080 - GP100 - 3072bit HBM2 6GB / 12GB
GTX 1080 Ti - GP100 - 4096bit HBM2 8GB
GTX Titan Y - GP100 - 4096bit HBM2 16GB

I don't think there are going to be any 2GB or 3GB GTX cards with Pascal at all. As I mentioned previously, 4GB is going to be the standard amount for lower end cards, 6GB is going to be for mid to mid high cards, and 8-16GB is going to be for the ultra high end cards.

As I stated earlier, 1050 and 1060 will have 4GB, 1070 and 1080 will have 6GB and this is possible regardless of Bus Width, just take a look at how they added memory to the 660 Ti (also done with the 550 Ti). However, again, this alternative would only be based on the fact that you are certain they wouldn't use a 384-bit Bus Width (something I believe is actually possible, because Pascal is supposed to be a freaking monster). 1080 Ti will have 8GB of HBM2 and Titan Y or Titan V whatever they call it will have 16GB of HBM2.

Again, as I stated before, with plenty of explanation backing up my reasoning and additionally going along with the basis of this article in the OP. The GTX 1080 will more than likely NOT be a GP100 part but a GP104 part. Based on what we have seen with the 900 series. It makes no sense to not do this, and deviate from this new pattern they developed with the 900 series.
Edited by BiG StroOnZ - 1/26/16 at 2:57am
post #79 of 293
If GTX 1080 is GP104 you are not looking at a 384bit bus...

It will have 4/8/16GB
post #80 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG StroOnZ View Post

Again, as I stated before, with plenty of explanation backing up my reasoning and additionally going along with the basis of this article in the OP. The GTX 1080 will more than likely NOT be a GP100 part but a GP104 part. Based on what we have seen with the 900 series. It makes no sense to do this at all deviating from the new pattern they developed with the 900 series.

it isn't unusual at all.

looking at Nvidia's past history:
GTX480 = GF100 fermi
GTX580 = GF110 fermi
GTX680 = GK104 kepler
GTX780 = GK110 kepler
GTX980 = GM204 maxwell
by logic we should be getting a full die next.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [OC3D/TF] Pascal GP100 Titan coming as early as April and the GP104 GTX 1080/1070 to launch in June