Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Photography › Nikon D60 accessories and tips for a beginner
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nikon D60 accessories and tips for a beginner

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 
I'm starting to have interest in photography, and I have a Nikon D60. So far I want to take pics of my rig/parts, I would like to be outside and take so photos there (be it woods, a field, town/city) and specifically I would like to take some pictures in Italy for my honeymoon in May.

I'm looking for any accessories I might need/want. I still have to learn the camera, I'm just playing around with it for now. I know it isn't anything crazy, and I'm not expecting the most beautiful photo I've ever seen as I don't have any exp with this, but just want to make sure things come out decently.

So, I know one thing I'd like is a tripod, I'm seeing some that are sub $50 that are 50", so I'm looking at those. Anything else I should look at? I have 2 lenses at home for it, and what I believe is called a lens hood?


I've got a long way to go with learning, so I'm sure I might be told that I don't need any extra bits yet, but my hands aren't exactly still sometimes so I'm looking for a tripod now. I'm going to buy things over time as I go, but right now looking for a tripod less than $50 if that is possible.
Deepthought
(15 items)
 
Baldr
(14 items)
 
Terminal Dogma
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-7850K MSI A88XM-GAMING Integrated Crucial Ballistix Sport  
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 EVO  Prolimatech Genesis Black 2x Phanteks PH-F140HP 3x Noctua NF-P14S 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Debian 8 Samsung UN55H6350AFXZA Dell Generic Nanoxia Deep Silence 5 
MouseOther
Logitech G402 HP NC364T 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core I3 M370 Intel HD Toshiba Samsung 850 EVO 
OSOS
Windows 7 Ultimate Fedora 21 
  hide details  
Reply
Deepthought
(15 items)
 
Baldr
(14 items)
 
Terminal Dogma
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-7850K MSI A88XM-GAMING Integrated Crucial Ballistix Sport  
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 EVO  Prolimatech Genesis Black 2x Phanteks PH-F140HP 3x Noctua NF-P14S 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Debian 8 Samsung UN55H6350AFXZA Dell Generic Nanoxia Deep Silence 5 
MouseOther
Logitech G402 HP NC364T 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core I3 M370 Intel HD Toshiba Samsung 850 EVO 
OSOS
Windows 7 Ultimate Fedora 21 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 31
If you plan on walking great distances with the camera I would suggest a different strap. Not a spokesperson or anything but I have a BlackRapid sport and have loved it. It puts the weight of the camera across your body instead of one your neck and also puts the camera down by your hip easily accessible by your hands. http://www.blackrapid.com/products

There are many other brands/models of these straps so please research before to make sure you get one that suits you best.

The great part with the blackrapid is they have connectors for the camera that will act as a tripod mount for many Manfrotto tripods and possibly others with releasable tripod mounts. For example http://www.blackrapid.com/products/tripod-plate again do some research to make sure what you get would be compatible.

What lenses do you currently have? I only ask this because this could factor into your choice of tripod (or even a monopod). If you have heavy lenses or long lenses you want to make sure that you get a sturdy tripod with a wide spread. cheaper ones are great for price but I found some can be a bit hazardous with heavy or long lenses if you dont position them just right.

If youre taking photos outside I would suggest using your lens hood not only to protect from glare but also to protect from falls or other potential damage.

As far as camera and lenses with what you are looking to shoot I dont think any of this would be a problem. I dont know much of the D60 but any camera is capable of producing great images all of matter of the photographers abilities (these come in time).

My biggest advice to you would be to learn your camera and the settings. This will by far help you produce the best images regardless of equipment.

let me know if you have any other questions. Maybe some others will have differing views or throw in some additional thoughts.

PS: I am not a professional in any way so please take my advice for what it is. I am however a heavily involved hobbyist and love photography.
post #3 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by locrian1288 View Post

If you plan on walking great distances with the camera I would suggest a different strap. Not a spokesperson or anything but I have a BlackRapid sport and have loved it. It puts the weight of the camera across your body instead of one your neck and also puts the camera down by your hip easily accessible by your hands. http://www.blackrapid.com/products

The great part with the blackrapid is they have connectors for the camera that will act as a tripod mount for many Manfrotto tripods and possibly others with releasable tripod mounts. For example http://www.blackrapid.com/products/tripod-plate again do some research to make sure what you get would be compatible.

Definitely do plan on doing a lot of walking, especially in Italy. I'll look into the straps, thanks you, that didn't even come to mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by locrian1288 View Post

What lenses do you currently have? I only ask this because this could factor into your choice of tripod (or even a monopod). If you have heavy lenses or long lenses you want to make sure that you get a sturdy tripod with a wide spread. cheaper ones are great for price but I found some can be a bit hazardous with heavy or long lenses if you dont position them just right.

If youre taking photos outside I would suggest using your lens hood not only to protect from glare but also to protect from falls or other potential damage.

I'll be outside quite a bit, and also, I know there are normal shaped cylindrical lens hoods, and tulip lens hoods, either one works? I don't have a tulip, just the normal one. As far as lenses go, I don't know what they are, but I'll post up when I get home and look at them, probably around 9:00pm EST tonight. They aren't too big/long though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by locrian1288 View Post

As far as camera and lenses with what you are looking to shoot I dont think any of this would be a problem. I dont know much of the D60 but any camera is capable of producing great images all of matter of the photographers abilities (these come in time).

My biggest advice to you would be to learn your camera and the settings. This will by far help you produce the best images regardless of equipment.
let me know if you have any other questions. Maybe some others will have differing views or throw in some additional thoughts.

PS: I am not a professional in any way so please take my advice for what it is. I am however a heavily involved hobbyist and love photography.

Yeah I figured that learning the camera was the most important thing. I mean, how can you take good pictures if you don't know how to use the camera? tongue.gif

Thanks, I'll definitely let you know about the questions I'm sure will come along.

As a side note:




I still think that is a cool pic. Probably not a great one, but.. hey, I like it lol. Came out fuzzier than I wanted though.
Deepthought
(15 items)
 
Baldr
(14 items)
 
Terminal Dogma
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-7850K MSI A88XM-GAMING Integrated Crucial Ballistix Sport  
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 EVO  Prolimatech Genesis Black 2x Phanteks PH-F140HP 3x Noctua NF-P14S 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Debian 8 Samsung UN55H6350AFXZA Dell Generic Nanoxia Deep Silence 5 
MouseOther
Logitech G402 HP NC364T 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core I3 M370 Intel HD Toshiba Samsung 850 EVO 
OSOS
Windows 7 Ultimate Fedora 21 
  hide details  
Reply
Deepthought
(15 items)
 
Baldr
(14 items)
 
Terminal Dogma
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-7850K MSI A88XM-GAMING Integrated Crucial Ballistix Sport  
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 EVO  Prolimatech Genesis Black 2x Phanteks PH-F140HP 3x Noctua NF-P14S 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Debian 8 Samsung UN55H6350AFXZA Dell Generic Nanoxia Deep Silence 5 
MouseOther
Logitech G402 HP NC364T 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core I3 M370 Intel HD Toshiba Samsung 850 EVO 
OSOS
Windows 7 Ultimate Fedora 21 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 31
I would say just use the hoods that come with the lenses. Petal or Full doesnt really matter however the hood that came with the lens should ensure that it covers from glare while staying out of the way of the image.

The image doesnt look bad to me. Look at the center of the processor then to the right at the finger. The ridges in your finger look to be in focus. I would expect the bottom and top of the processor to start blurring due to how close you were to the item. Lighting is pretty good to me as well. I would suggest trying to get something to prop the image on instead of fingers that way you dont have those distractions.

You can create some really cool images with computer things especially when you start taking them apart. This isnt the best one but its one I had uploaded.

Storage Devices
post #5 of 31
What lenses do you have? I'm honestly tempted to say don't worry about accessories, just get out there and use the camera, learn how to use the modes,etc.. Fancy straps are nice if you're using heavier gear, but there's no harm using the stock strap on this body, I still use the stock straps quite a bit with my bodies and they're bigger and heavier. As for a tripod its only really something you'd need for longer exposures. If that's something that would interest you then by all means get one, but its not a necessity.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4278U @ 2.6GHz Apple Logic Board Intel Iris 5100 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
128GB SSD Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan Windows 10 13" IPS @ 2560 x 1600 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple British Keyboard 60W Magsafe 2 Apple Aluminium Unibody Apple Trackpad 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4278U @ 2.6GHz Apple Logic Board Intel Iris 5100 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
128GB SSD Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan Windows 10 13" IPS @ 2560 x 1600 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple British Keyboard 60W Magsafe 2 Apple Aluminium Unibody Apple Trackpad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1541 View Post

What lenses do you have? I'm honestly tempted to say don't worry about accessories, just get out there and use the camera, learn how to use the modes,etc.. Fancy straps are nice if you're using heavier gear, but there's no harm using the stock strap on this body, I still use the stock straps quite a bit with my bodies and they're bigger and heavier. As for a tripod its only really something you'd need for longer exposures. If that's something that would interest you then by all means get one, but its not a necessity.
A strap is definitely a convenience thing I find the neck straps uncomfortable even when I was using a d5000 with a kit lens. A tripod is also nice if you would like to set up your own portraits he mentioned his honeymoon so instead of handing people the camera a tripod could be used. But as mentioned a tripod isn't necessary if your not doing long exposure stuff just a matter of keeping your shutter speed in mind
post #7 of 31
I would also add that the strap not only keeps the camera weight off your neck but puts the camera in a comfortable position it makes it nice to navigate through crowds. Obviously it's a matter of opinion but suggestions were asked for and I personally love having a sling.

Something I just thought of would be a camera bag that doesn't screen camera bag and is comfortable to carry again my opinion but I like backpack bags when I'm walking. You can find really good ones for cheap I don't think this was mentioned in your current gear. The reason I say backpack is a lot do not scream camera gear.
post #8 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1541 View Post

What lenses do you have? I'm honestly tempted to say don't worry about accessories, just get out there and use the camera, learn how to use the modes,etc.. Fancy straps are nice if you're using heavier gear, but there's no harm using the stock strap on this body, I still use the stock straps quite a bit with my bodies and they're bigger and heavier. As for a tripod its only really something you'd need for longer exposures. If that's something that would interest you then by all means get one, but its not a necessity.


Lenses are a Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm 1:4-5.6G ED and a Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G, just to clarify I'm not looking for things like alternate flashes or new lenses, more of the things I listed (strap, tripod) and anything that I might be missing which could be deemed as needed, which i really don't think I'm missing anything on that front.

I do want to play around with time lapse (not sure what else I'd do with longer exposure, but I intend to find out!) and I figure that in some scenarios a tripod will be more useful. In a way, I kind of know what a longer exposure time DOES, i.e. how it works, but not really what the end result is. But yes, still very much so need to learn the camera, and I really need to learn more about lighting.

On straps, I have 2 pinched nerves in my back I'm still recovering from, one goes up to my neck, and the other goes to where the arm meets the shoulder, I forget the muscle name right now. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't be looking at a strap now. I mean, I do intend on going out for long walks and even hikes with the camera etc, so I'd want it to be comfortable anyhow. Solid advice though, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locrian1288 View Post

A strap is definitely a convenience thing I find the neck straps uncomfortable even when I was using a d5000 with a kit lens. A tripod is also nice if you would like to set up your own portraits he mentioned his honeymoon so instead of handing people the camera a tripod could be used. But as mentioned a tripod isn't necessary if your not doing long exposure stuff just a matter of keeping your shutter speed in mind


Definitely don't want to hand people a camera lol I'm picky enough about who uses MY gear, let alone my father in law to be's camera, so I'm extra careful. You just never know sometimes, you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by locrian1288 View Post

I would also add that the strap not only keeps the camera weight off your neck but puts the camera in a comfortable position it makes it nice to navigate through crowds. Obviously it's a matter of opinion but suggestions were asked for and I personally love having a sling.


Something I just thought of would be a camera bag that doesn't screen camera bag and is comfortable to carry again my opinion but I like backpack bags when I'm walking. You can find really good ones for cheap I don't think this was mentioned in your current gear. The reason I say backpack is a lot do not scream camera gear.

Yeah you know what, I'll look into the backpack in a month or two, or just before my trip. That sounds like a good idea. I can't really do messenger style bags (so a typical camera bag) for an extended period of time, thanks for that.


A question for the group, what format should I be storing my photos in on the camera? I've got a 32gig SD card, I still have to look up the max size this camera can handle and get a couple of that size.

Edit: looks like that size is 32 gigs. darn.

Well, is there anything in particular I should look for in terms of specifications when looking at an SD card for a camera? high-throughput, yes?
Edited by maddangerous - 1/27/16 at 7:59pm
Deepthought
(15 items)
 
Baldr
(14 items)
 
Terminal Dogma
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-7850K MSI A88XM-GAMING Integrated Crucial Ballistix Sport  
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 EVO  Prolimatech Genesis Black 2x Phanteks PH-F140HP 3x Noctua NF-P14S 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Debian 8 Samsung UN55H6350AFXZA Dell Generic Nanoxia Deep Silence 5 
MouseOther
Logitech G402 HP NC364T 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core I3 M370 Intel HD Toshiba Samsung 850 EVO 
OSOS
Windows 7 Ultimate Fedora 21 
  hide details  
Reply
Deepthought
(15 items)
 
Baldr
(14 items)
 
Terminal Dogma
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-7850K MSI A88XM-GAMING Integrated Crucial Ballistix Sport  
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 EVO  Prolimatech Genesis Black 2x Phanteks PH-F140HP 3x Noctua NF-P14S 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Debian 8 Samsung UN55H6350AFXZA Dell Generic Nanoxia Deep Silence 5 
MouseOther
Logitech G402 HP NC364T 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core I3 M370 Intel HD Toshiba Samsung 850 EVO 
OSOS
Windows 7 Ultimate Fedora 21 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by locrian1288 View Post

I would say just use the hoods that come with the lenses. Petal or Full doesnt really matter however the hood that came with the lens should ensure that it covers from glare while staying out of the way of the image.

The image doesnt look bad to me. Look at the center of the processor then to the right at the finger. The ridges in your finger look to be in focus. I would expect the bottom and top of the processor to start blurring due to how close you were to the item. Lighting is pretty good to me as well. I would suggest trying to get something to prop the image on instead of fingers that way you dont have those distractions.

You can create some really cool images with computer things especially when you start taking them apart. This isnt the best one but its one I had uploaded.

Storage Devices

I got lucky with the lighting, that was right next to a window where my desk is, on an overcast day.I couldn't find anything to prop the CPU up with, and I'm not sure that my cat would have left that shiny thing alone lol.

I do like computer things, so I do want to take pictures of those computer things lol.

I've read a few things that I should basically shoot with the lens hood on almost all the time, except when my light source is in the picture somewhere?
Deepthought
(15 items)
 
Baldr
(14 items)
 
Terminal Dogma
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-7850K MSI A88XM-GAMING Integrated Crucial Ballistix Sport  
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 EVO  Prolimatech Genesis Black 2x Phanteks PH-F140HP 3x Noctua NF-P14S 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Debian 8 Samsung UN55H6350AFXZA Dell Generic Nanoxia Deep Silence 5 
MouseOther
Logitech G402 HP NC364T 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core I3 M370 Intel HD Toshiba Samsung 850 EVO 
OSOS
Windows 7 Ultimate Fedora 21 
  hide details  
Reply
Deepthought
(15 items)
 
Baldr
(14 items)
 
Terminal Dogma
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-7850K MSI A88XM-GAMING Integrated Crucial Ballistix Sport  
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 EVO  Prolimatech Genesis Black 2x Phanteks PH-F140HP 3x Noctua NF-P14S 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Debian 8 Samsung UN55H6350AFXZA Dell Generic Nanoxia Deep Silence 5 
MouseOther
Logitech G402 HP NC364T 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core I3 M370 Intel HD Toshiba Samsung 850 EVO 
OSOS
Windows 7 Ultimate Fedora 21 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by locrian1288 View Post

I would also add that the strap not only keeps the camera weight off your neck but puts the camera in a comfortable position it makes it nice to navigate through crowds. Obviously it's a matter of opinion but suggestions were asked for and I personally love having a sling.

Something I just thought of would be a camera bag that doesn't screen camera bag and is comfortable to carry again my opinion but I like backpack bags when I'm walking. You can find really good ones for cheap I don't think this was mentioned in your current gear. The reason I say backpack is a lot do not scream camera gear.

I should probably point out that although I do use the normal straps quite a bit, I never have then around my neck, its always over my shoulder. A few hours of carrying a heavy body and large lens and you won't have much neck left tongue.gif I really should look into getting a genuine black rapid though, I had a knock-off version and although its nice, I just don't trust it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddangerous View Post

Lenses are a Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm 1:4-5.6G ED and a Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G, just to clarify I'm not looking for things like alternate flashes or new lenses, more of the things I listed (strap, tripod) and anything that I might be missing which could be deemed as needed, which i really don't think I'm missing anything on that front.

I do want to play around with time lapse (not sure what else I'd do with longer exposure, but I intend to find out!) and I figure that in some scenarios a tripod will be more useful. In a way, I kind of know what a longer exposure time DOES, i.e. how it works, but not really what the end result is. But yes, still very much so need to learn the camera, and I really need to learn more about lighting.

On straps, I have 2 pinched nerves in my back I'm still recovering from, one goes up to my neck, and the other goes to where the arm meets the shoulder, I forget the muscle name right now. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't be looking at a strap now. I mean, I do intend on going out for long walks and even hikes with the camera etc, so I'd want it to be comfortable anyhow. Solid advice though, thank you.
Definitely don't want to hand people a camera lol I'm picky enough about who uses MY gear, let alone my father in law to be's camera, so I'm extra careful. You just never know sometimes, you know?
Yeah you know what, I'll look into the backpack in a month or two, or just before my trip. That sounds like a good idea. I can't really do messenger style bags (so a typical camera bag) for an extended period of time, thanks for that.


A question for the group, what format should I be storing my photos in on the camera? I've got a 32gig SD card, I still have to look up the max size this camera can handle and get a couple of that size.

Edit: looks like that size is 32 gigs. darn.

Well, is there anything in particular I should look for in terms of specifications when looking at an SD card for a camera? high-throughput, yes?

Okay then, tripod and a new strap it is thumb.gif
Don't spend too much on a tripod though, especially if its going to be something you only use occasionally. $50 as you stated in the OP should be able to get you something relatively decent. Look for one with a ball head, they're more flexible than pan heads, and in that price range any pan/tilt head is probably going to be less than adequate, you can't really go wrong with a ball head.

For SD cards I tend to go for Sandisk Ultra/Extreme or Lexar Professional cards, I've got a few of each and neither have failed on me yet, unlike some cheaper cards. Most of my cards are 32GB as I don't like having too much on a card at once in case of failure, etc..
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4278U @ 2.6GHz Apple Logic Board Intel Iris 5100 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
128GB SSD Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan Windows 10 13" IPS @ 2560 x 1600 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple British Keyboard 60W Magsafe 2 Apple Aluminium Unibody Apple Trackpad 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4278U @ 2.6GHz Apple Logic Board Intel Iris 5100 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
128GB SSD Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan Windows 10 13" IPS @ 2560 x 1600 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple British Keyboard 60W Magsafe 2 Apple Aluminium Unibody Apple Trackpad 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Photography
Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Photography › Nikon D60 accessories and tips for a beginner