Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › System rebuild, Believe VRMS on MSI 990FXA Gaming Burned Up.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

System rebuild, Believe VRMS on MSI 990FXA Gaming Burned Up.

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
After using my latest build for a few months,
-SILVER STONE CS-GD09B CASE
-MSI 990FXA GAMING
-FX-8370
-CROSSFIRED XFX R9 390 DD (BESTBUY)
-32 GB DDR3 1866 PNY XLR8 ( 4 X 8 GB STICKS )
-CORSAIR HX1050
-COOLERMASTER GeminII S524 Ver.2 w/ after market thermal take 140mm Riing 14 LED White )
-2 x COOLERMASTER 120MM slickleflow blue led blowing in to the case right side.
-1 x COOLERMASTER 120MM BLADEMASTER blowing into case left side.


I noticed in the biosm and also in windows ( using hw monitor pro ) my TPMIN sensor temps quit showing up. Also, in the bios my voltages displayed for all the components were 2.040 volts on every sensor. I used my fluke DIMM and did some probing, the voltages coming from the PSU were completely normal. Then even used a standalone PSU tester, PSU was operating in normally.

I pulled the system apart and check to make sure everything was seated / slotted / connected correctly. However, I kept have the same problem, so then down graded bios original, didn't work. Went insane with cable management custom cutting/splicing every cable for most discrete routing and ensuring highest optimum air floor. ( I've been an electrician. I am very comfortable with electrical work with custom wiring. )

Having spent a month already trouble shooting I went next door to micro-center, practically know every employees name now there, haha. I talked to one of there head motherboard sales rep, explaining my situation. He told me that believe it or not the MSI 970 and MSI 990 FXA machines they had built for display did the same thing, explaining that while working with the technicians also in the store they took temp readings from the north bridges and noticed that for the MSI boards no matter which one all had VRM temps significantly higher than other competitors. ( Processors in these machines were FX-8320 and FX-8350 ) Sure enough after awhile all the MSI machines lost their ability for reading the TPMIN sensors and voltages.

What do you know about that?!

Looking for a new motherboard, crosshair formula s had way too many features, and sabortooths just dont look good to me with their desert cammo colors. ASROCK...eh, call me an old timer i still dont trust them I remember when they first appeared 15 years ago with issues. Kinda has stuck with me.

PS. also upgraded my PSU for a physically smaller one. Went with the corsair AXi 860.


Any, thoughts? I appreciate it everyone.
Edited by Mckayman - 1/29/16 at 9:09am
BlUEFlAME
(20 items)
 
FireBird
(16 items)
 
BlUEBlACKQUAD
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
FX 8370 Black Edition 4.3GHZ 21.5X locked full ... Asus Sabertooth 990FX R3.0 XFX R9-390A-8DFR XFX R9-390A-8DFR 
RAMRAMHard DriveCooling
PNY MD16384KD3-1866-K-X10 PNY MD16384KD3-1866-K-X10 Samsung NVME SSD 960 EVO M.2 CoolerMaster GeminII S524 V2.0 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro Retail USB Drive Set AOC I2757Fh Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 Corsair AX860i Digital ATX Power Supply 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
SilverStone Grandia Series SST-GD09B Razer DeathAdder 2013 Razer Goliathus Extended Control Edition JBL LSR 2300 Series 2325P 
AudioOtherOther
Herculus DJ Console RMX NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Fan Controller NetGear A6210 USB 3.0 WiFI AC Adapter 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd a10 7850k Asus A88XM-A XFX R9 390 PNY 16GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
250GB Samsung Evo 850 500GB Generical 2.5" HDD 5400rpm LG DVD Burner CoolMaster 120V 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 64bit AOC 27" IPS Razor ProType  Corsair 750watt M 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Dell XPS 8100 Case DeathAdder 2013 Ed. Razer Goliathus Control Extended Ed.  JBL 2300 Pro Seriers Monitors 
  hide details  
Reply
BlUEFlAME
(20 items)
 
FireBird
(16 items)
 
BlUEBlACKQUAD
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
FX 8370 Black Edition 4.3GHZ 21.5X locked full ... Asus Sabertooth 990FX R3.0 XFX R9-390A-8DFR XFX R9-390A-8DFR 
RAMRAMHard DriveCooling
PNY MD16384KD3-1866-K-X10 PNY MD16384KD3-1866-K-X10 Samsung NVME SSD 960 EVO M.2 CoolerMaster GeminII S524 V2.0 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro Retail USB Drive Set AOC I2757Fh Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 Corsair AX860i Digital ATX Power Supply 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
SilverStone Grandia Series SST-GD09B Razer DeathAdder 2013 Razer Goliathus Extended Control Edition JBL LSR 2300 Series 2325P 
AudioOtherOther
Herculus DJ Console RMX NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Fan Controller NetGear A6210 USB 3.0 WiFI AC Adapter 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd a10 7850k Asus A88XM-A XFX R9 390 PNY 16GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
250GB Samsung Evo 850 500GB Generical 2.5" HDD 5400rpm LG DVD Burner CoolMaster 120V 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 64bit AOC 27" IPS Razor ProType  Corsair 750watt M 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Dell XPS 8100 Case DeathAdder 2013 Ed. Razer Goliathus Control Extended Ed.  JBL 2300 Pro Seriers Monitors 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 16
Why go with the AX860 when the EVGA SuperNova G2/P2 are newer better and cheaper?
Same thing with the Corsair RMx newer better cheaper as well as way more quiet.
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD40EZRX  WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64 Bit Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone XTD Laser Roccat Sense Metor 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 598 Onkyo TX NR646  Harman Kardon HKTS 60 Dali Opticon Vokal 
AudioOtherOther
x2 Dali Opticon 2 CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD40EZRX  WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64 Bit Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone XTD Laser Roccat Sense Metor 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 598 Onkyo TX NR646  Harman Kardon HKTS 60 Dali Opticon Vokal 
AudioOtherOther
x2 Dali Opticon 2 CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckayman View Post

After using my latest build for a few months,
-SILVER STONE CS-GD09B CASE
-MSI 990FXA GAMING
-FX-8370
-CROSSFIRED XFX R9 390 DD (BESTBUY)
-32 GB DDR3 1866 PNY XLR8 ( 4 X 8 GB STICKS )
-CORSAIR HX1050
-COOLERMASTER GeminII S524 Ver.2 w/ after market thermal take 140mm Riing 14 LED White )
-2 x COOLERMASTER 120MM slickleflow blue led blowing in to the case right side.
-1 x COOLERMASTER 120MM BLADEMASTER blowing into case left side.


I noticed in the biosm and also in windows ( using hw monitor pro ) my TPMIN sensor temps quit showing up. Also, in the bios my voltages displayed for all the components were 2.040 volts on every sensor. I used my fluke DIMM and did some probing, the voltages coming from the PSU were completely normal. Then even used a standalone PSU tester, PSU was operating in normally.

I pulled the system apart and check to make sure everything was seated / slotted / connected correctly. However, I kept have the same problem, so then down graded bios original, didn't work. Went insane with cable management custom cutting/splicing every cable for most discrete routing and ensuring highest optimum air floor. ( I've been an electrician. I am very comfortable with electrical work with custom wiring. )

Having spent a month already trouble shooting I went next door to micro-center, practically know every employees name now there, haha. I talked to one of there head motherboard sales rep, explaining my situation. He told me that believe it or not the MSI 970 and MSI 990 FXA machines they had built for display did the same thing, explaining that while working with the technicians also in the store they took temp readings from the north bridges and noticed that for the MSI boards no matter which one all had VRM temps significantly higher than other competitors. ( Processors in these machines were FX-8320 and FX-8350 ) Sure enough after awhile all the MSI machines lost their ability for reading the TPMIN sensors and voltages.

What do you know about that?!

Looking for a new motherboard, crosshair formula s had way too many features, and sabortooths just dont look good to me with their desert cammo colors. ASROCK...eh, call me an old timer i still dont trust them I remember when they first appeared 15 years ago with issues. Kinda has stuck with me.

PS. also upgraded my PSU for a physically smaller one. Went with the corsair AXi 860.


Any, thoughts? I appreciate it everyone.
proof.gif
I call baloney.

The 990 Gaming has one of the coolest running VRM setups I've seen and I've ran these 990 boards Gigabyte UD5 , 2 CHV-Z's , Asrock extreme 3 , GD-65 and GD 80 motherboards pushing every sku of 8 core FX processor except the FX 9590 or the 8320e at clockspeeds up to 5.8 ghz.
Ryzen Shine!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1800X @ 4125mhz 1.432 Volts MSI X370 Titanium   Fury  G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 pro Hp 1260 I liquid unobtanium Koolance 480mm radiator, 39... Win 7 HP/Winspy 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
24" hp @ 1900x1200 Logitech G19 PC power and cooling 910 watt silencer Thermaltake P5 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech MX 518 fUnc industries 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen Shine!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1800X @ 4125mhz 1.432 Volts MSI X370 Titanium   Fury  G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 pro Hp 1260 I liquid unobtanium Koolance 480mm radiator, 39... Win 7 HP/Winspy 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
24" hp @ 1900x1200 Logitech G19 PC power and cooling 910 watt silencer Thermaltake P5 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech MX 518 fUnc industries 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 16
Coolest running? Have you actually measured the temperatures it runs at? Based how the thermal pads on the VRM heatsink weeps out the silicone oil in them, the VRM runs extremely hot on 970 & 990FX Gaming boards. The fact that the VRM is built with Niko-Semi fets (fire emitting transistors in this case) also supports the fact that it runs hot.

I also wonder how you´ve measured the temperatures on C5F-Z since the temperature information is not accessible without some inside information. I agree with you on one matter, GD65 & GD80 are the only properly built AM3+ boards from MSI smile.gif
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckayman View Post

Having spent a month already trouble shooting I went next door to micro-center, practically know every employees name now there, haha. I talked to one of there head motherboard sales rep, explaining my situation. He told me that believe it or not the MSI 970 and MSI 990 FXA machines they had built for display did the same thing, explaining that while working with the technicians also in the store they took temp readings from the north bridges and noticed that for the MSI boards no matter which one all had VRM temps significantly higher than other competitors. ( Processors in these machines were FX-8320 and FX-8350 ) Sure enough after awhile all the MSI machines lost their ability for reading the TPMIN sensors and voltages.

What do you know about that?!
Any, thoughts? I appreciate it everyone.

Ok, i believe it. biggrin.gif The 990 Gaming has the same VRM as 970 Gaming.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1501416/msi-970-gaming-anyone

For AM3+ buy only ASUS (better) or Gigabyte (has some BIOS quirks, but aside that, it's well built).
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stilt 
Based how the thermal pads on the VRM heatsink weeps out the silicone oil in them, the VRM runs extremely hot on 970 & 990FX Gaming boards. The fact that the VRM is built with Niko-Semi fets (fire emitting transistors in this case) also supports the fact that it runs hot.

In fact, i vividly remember a member of this forum, posting pictures of his newly bought 970 Gaming, that was full of oil and was asking if he had to RMA it. I remember it, because it was strange. And it was actually all over the place,not just in VRM area. I remember i had attributed it to manufacturing machinery error that sprayed the motherboard with oil. I can't find it now, but by accident, i found another, this one clearly coming out of the VRM.

https://upload.vstanced.com/image/P2I

^ Military class, as in "the lowest bidder". lachen.gif

EDIT: Here it is! The splashes are too far away from the VRM:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1501416/msi-970-gaming-anyone/120#post_23252127

Makes you wonder what's happening in MSI's QC, because the motherboard is brand new.
Edited by Undervolter - 1/29/16 at 3:36pm
Main
(16 items)
 
Dedicated Encoder
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8320@4Ghz Gigabyte 970 UD3P rev2.1 Gainward GTX 750Ti Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 16GB (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
Crucial BX100 250GB Western Digital Green 2TB LiteOn Blu-Ray Burner IHBS 112-2 LG BH16NS55 Blu-Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Scythe Katana 3 Windows 7 Pro 64bit ASUS 22" VS228HR Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA 430W Sharkoon VG4-V Logitech M90 Onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8300 Asrock 970 Extreme3 HIS 6570 Silence Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) CAS9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Plextor M6S 128GB Toshiba 2TB SATAIII LiteOn Blu Ray burner IHBS 112-2 Xigmatek Balder 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung S22B350H Microsoft Wired 600 Corsair VS350 
CaseMouseAudio
Lepa LPC 306 Logitech M90 Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Main
(16 items)
 
Dedicated Encoder
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8320@4Ghz Gigabyte 970 UD3P rev2.1 Gainward GTX 750Ti Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 16GB (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
Crucial BX100 250GB Western Digital Green 2TB LiteOn Blu-Ray Burner IHBS 112-2 LG BH16NS55 Blu-Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Scythe Katana 3 Windows 7 Pro 64bit ASUS 22" VS228HR Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA 430W Sharkoon VG4-V Logitech M90 Onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8300 Asrock 970 Extreme3 HIS 6570 Silence Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) CAS9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Plextor M6S 128GB Toshiba 2TB SATAIII LiteOn Blu Ray burner IHBS 112-2 Xigmatek Balder 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung S22B350H Microsoft Wired 600 Corsair VS350 
CaseMouseAudio
Lepa LPC 306 Logitech M90 Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post

Coolest running? Have you actually measured the temperatures it runs at? Based how the thermal pads on the VRM heatsink weeps out the silicone oil in them, the VRM runs extremely hot on 970 & 990FX Gaming boards. The fact that the VRM is built with Niko-Semi fets (fire emitting transistors in this case) also supports the fact that it runs hot.

I also wonder how you´ve measured the temperatures on C5F-Z since the temperature information is not accessible without some inside information. I agree with you on one matter, GD65 & GD80 are the only properly built AM3+ boards from MSI smile.gif


Best measure of proof I can provide - and I could comfortably rest my hand on any of the heatsinks during this bench.
http://cdn.overclock.net/2/2f/2f08df55_Untitledrealbench5ghz1.64volts.png
70F ambient temp. Very good airflow
Ryzen Shine!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1800X @ 4125mhz 1.432 Volts MSI X370 Titanium   Fury  G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 pro Hp 1260 I liquid unobtanium Koolance 480mm radiator, 39... Win 7 HP/Winspy 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
24" hp @ 1900x1200 Logitech G19 PC power and cooling 910 watt silencer Thermaltake P5 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech MX 518 fUnc industries 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen Shine!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1800X @ 4125mhz 1.432 Volts MSI X370 Titanium   Fury  G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 pro Hp 1260 I liquid unobtanium Koolance 480mm radiator, 39... Win 7 HP/Winspy 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
24" hp @ 1900x1200 Logitech G19 PC power and cooling 910 watt silencer Thermaltake P5 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech MX 518 fUnc industries 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post

Best measure of proof I can provide - and I could comfortably rest my hand on any of the heatsinks during this bench.
http://cdn.overclock.net/2/2f/2f08df55_Untitledrealbench5ghz1.64volts.png
70F ambient temp. Very good airflow

Even with good airflow, at 5Ghz, shouldn't the VRM heatsink be at least at 60C??? At 60C you would burn your hand in 5 seconds. Which leaves another possibility. That the thermal pad isn't working well and the heat isn't transfered properly to the heatsink. Unless you have igloo temperatures inside the case. biggrin.gif
Main
(16 items)
 
Dedicated Encoder
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8320@4Ghz Gigabyte 970 UD3P rev2.1 Gainward GTX 750Ti Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 16GB (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
Crucial BX100 250GB Western Digital Green 2TB LiteOn Blu-Ray Burner IHBS 112-2 LG BH16NS55 Blu-Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Scythe Katana 3 Windows 7 Pro 64bit ASUS 22" VS228HR Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA 430W Sharkoon VG4-V Logitech M90 Onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8300 Asrock 970 Extreme3 HIS 6570 Silence Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) CAS9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Plextor M6S 128GB Toshiba 2TB SATAIII LiteOn Blu Ray burner IHBS 112-2 Xigmatek Balder 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung S22B350H Microsoft Wired 600 Corsair VS350 
CaseMouseAudio
Lepa LPC 306 Logitech M90 Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Main
(16 items)
 
Dedicated Encoder
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8320@4Ghz Gigabyte 970 UD3P rev2.1 Gainward GTX 750Ti Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 16GB (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
Crucial BX100 250GB Western Digital Green 2TB LiteOn Blu-Ray Burner IHBS 112-2 LG BH16NS55 Blu-Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Scythe Katana 3 Windows 7 Pro 64bit ASUS 22" VS228HR Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA 430W Sharkoon VG4-V Logitech M90 Onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8300 Asrock 970 Extreme3 HIS 6570 Silence Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) CAS9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Plextor M6S 128GB Toshiba 2TB SATAIII LiteOn Blu Ray burner IHBS 112-2 Xigmatek Balder 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung S22B350H Microsoft Wired 600 Corsair VS350 
CaseMouseAudio
Lepa LPC 306 Logitech M90 Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undervolter View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post

Best measure of proof I can provide - and I could comfortably rest my hand on any of the heatsinks during this bench.
http://cdn.overclock.net/2/2f/2f08df55_Untitledrealbench5ghz1.64volts.png
70F ambient temp. Very good airflow

Even with good airflow, at 5Ghz, shouldn't the VRM heatsink be at least at 60C??? At 60C you would burn your hand in 5 seconds. Which leaves another possibility. That the thermal pad isn't working well and the heat isn't transfered properly to the heatsink. Unless you have igloo temperatures inside the case. biggrin.gif

The board was not in a case it was about 70F in the room , the heatsinks were making good contact, the thing just runs cool - remarkably cool. I felt the back side of the motherboard as well, nothing terribly uncomfortable there either.
Ryzen Shine!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1800X @ 4125mhz 1.432 Volts MSI X370 Titanium   Fury  G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 pro Hp 1260 I liquid unobtanium Koolance 480mm radiator, 39... Win 7 HP/Winspy 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
24" hp @ 1900x1200 Logitech G19 PC power and cooling 910 watt silencer Thermaltake P5 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech MX 518 fUnc industries 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen Shine!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1800X @ 4125mhz 1.432 Volts MSI X370 Titanium   Fury  G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 pro Hp 1260 I liquid unobtanium Koolance 480mm radiator, 39... Win 7 HP/Winspy 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
24" hp @ 1900x1200 Logitech G19 PC power and cooling 910 watt silencer Thermaltake P5 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech MX 518 fUnc industries 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post

The board was not in a case it was about 70F in the room , the heatsinks were making good contact, the thing just runs cool - remarkably cool. I felt the back side of the motherboard as well, nothing terribly uncomfortable there either.
I know you know what you're doing, so I take your word for it, but you're the exception to the rule. I don't trust any MSI AM3+ board except for the GD80.

I'd almost be suspicious that you somehow got a 990 Gaming that doesn't have Nikos on it, because if you're running it like that with Nikos, it should have blown like the Fourth of July. Even the ones that hold up run very hot long before 5.8 GHz.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon X4 870K 4700mhz 1.63v ASUS A88X-PRO Radeon HD 6970 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston V300 Toshiba 2.5" laptop HDD, 1TB Micron C300 SSD Generic 2TB HDD WL2000GSA1672 (external) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT 500GB ASUS DVD-RW Prolimatech Black Series Megahalems Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon "Sarah" 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 ViewSonic VG2030wm IBM Model M Fractal Design Newton R3 600W 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech Marble Mouse Behringer UCA222 Upgraded Realistic Minimus-7 speakers, Lepai 20... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T9900 Dell 0G848F Intel Mobile 4 series 4GB Crucial DDR2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OWC Mercury Electra 3G 44GB SSD stock DVD-RW Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1 "Rebecca" 1366x768 WXGA 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon X4 870K 4700mhz 1.63v ASUS A88X-PRO Radeon HD 6970 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston V300 Toshiba 2.5" laptop HDD, 1TB Micron C300 SSD Generic 2TB HDD WL2000GSA1672 (external) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT 500GB ASUS DVD-RW Prolimatech Black Series Megahalems Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon "Sarah" 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 ViewSonic VG2030wm IBM Model M Fractal Design Newton R3 600W 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech Marble Mouse Behringer UCA222 Upgraded Realistic Minimus-7 speakers, Lepai 20... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T9900 Dell 0G848F Intel Mobile 4 series 4GB Crucial DDR2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OWC Mercury Electra 3G 44GB SSD stock DVD-RW Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1 "Rebecca" 1366x768 WXGA 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 16
Unfortunately what you are experiencing seems pretty common with these boards.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › System rebuild, Believe VRMS on MSI 990FXA Gaming Burned Up.