Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Dark Rock TF With mITX 1151 Board?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dark Rock TF With mITX 1151 Board?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
I'm just wondering if anyone knows what kind of compatibility the Dark Rock TF has with a board like MSI Z170I GAMING PRO

Preferably I would have this with 2 sets of low profile ram and a full sized graphics card with backplate, however I'm not sure it will quite fit, haven't been able to find any m-itx builds with this cooler.
post #2 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintsEnd View Post

I'm just wondering if anyone knows what kind of compatibility the Dark Rock TF has with a board like MSI Z170I GAMING PRO

Preferably I would have this with 2 sets of low profile ram and a full sized graphics card with backplate, however I'm not sure it will quite fit, haven't been able to find any m-itx builds with this cooler.

It appears there are a number of components on that board that would be under the BQ backplate (which happens to be enormous) and would not allow it to sit flush. You may be better served with a Noctua NH-C14S.
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post

It appears there are a number of components on that board that would be under the BQ backplate (which happens to be enormous) and would not allow it to sit flush. You may be better served with a Noctua NH-C14S.

My second choice is Phanteks PH-TC14CS in Red or black

That was my 3rd choice, I love how noctua provides great information and compatibility. If only the heatsink was black. (that is why sadly its my third choice ,also although the fans performance is awesome, I personally do not like the color choices... Aesthetics are important to me)

I'm going to check to see how Phanteks PH-TC14CS compatibility is with a 1151 socket mitx board. Let me know if you know anything about this!
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintsEnd View Post

My second choice is Phanteks PH-TC14CS in Red or black

That was my 3rd choice, I love how noctua provides great information and compatibility. If only the heatsink was black. (that is why sadly its my third choice ,also although the fans performance is awesome, I personally do not like the color choices... Aesthetics are important to me)

I'm going to check to see how Phanteks PH-TC14CS compatibility is with a 1151 socket mitx board. Let me know if you know anything about this!

The Phanteks should work without an issue, but the install may wind up being a bit painful. No holes in the sink to drop the screwdriver through, you will be working around MB components with the L shaped screwdriver.
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post

The Phanteks should work without an issue, but the install may wind up being a bit painful. No holes in the sink to drop the screwdriver through, you will be working around MB components with the L shaped screwdriver.

Yea... I'm well aware of the lousy install. But I want the components to match, so I guess it will be a labor of love? rolleyes.gif
post #6 of 17
Hi ,

I'm looking at putting together an NCASE M1 build using the Dark Rock TF and the MSI Z710 Gaming Pro AC and wondered if you could point Me in the direction of Your source as to the components incompatibility, as other than this post I can find nothing else on the internet stating that the two don't work together ?

It looks like the TF backplate would stand off just fine , but it You have some solid info suggesting other wise I'd very much appreciate the input.

Many thanks

J
post #7 of 17
in my experience with itx,large tf coolers can affect the rear fan .maybe try thermalright?

http://www.thermalright.com/html/products/cpu_cooler/axp-100r.html
Edited by toyz72 - 2/14/16 at 9:24am
always changing
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4690k msi z97i-ack MSI r9 290 2x8 corsair 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
m4 128  wd 1tb black noctua u9s win7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
benq 2420z corsair  coolermaster v650 rosewell neutron 
MouseMouse PadAudio
rival 300 razer  corsair sp2500 
  hide details  
Reply
always changing
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4690k msi z97i-ack MSI r9 290 2x8 corsair 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
m4 128  wd 1tb black noctua u9s win7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
benq 2420z corsair  coolermaster v650 rosewell neutron 
MouseMouse PadAudio
rival 300 razer  corsair sp2500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post

It appears there are a number of components on that board that would be under the BQ backplate (which happens to be enormous) and would not allow it to sit flush. You may be better served with a Noctua NH-C14S.

Hi ,

I'm looking at putting together an NCASE M1 build using the Dark Rock TF and the MSI Z710 Gaming Pro AC and wondered if you could point Me in the direction of Your source as to the components incompatibility, as other than this post I can find nothing else on the internet stating that the two don't work together ?

It looks like the TF backplate would stand off just fine , but it You have some solid info suggesting other wise I'd very much appreciate the input.

Many thanks

J
post #9 of 17
Agreed In some cases this can be an issue, but I'm not too worried about a rear fan for this build as I'm planning a slightly different setup reference airflow..

I posted specifically as another poster actually mentioned incompatibilities with the Dark Rock TF and the MSI Z710 Gaming Pro board having issues with the Coolers backplate.

I'm putting together a build with this exact combination of components and wanted to know if the previous posters comments were FACT or speculation and if it was fact if could direct Me to where He sourced the information from.

As far as I have seen the Dark Rock TF and MSI board should work no problem as the M.2 port on the underside is well away from the backplate mount and the mount itself wouldn't interfere with any circuitry as its raised slightly from the MB itself.

Just want to ensure I've not missed anything that before I pull the trigger on components :/
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperAdept View Post

Hi ,

I'm looking at putting together an NCASE M1 build using the Dark Rock TF and the MSI Z710 Gaming Pro AC and wondered if you could point Me in the direction of Your source as to the components incompatibility, as other than this post I can find nothing else on the internet stating that the two don't work together ?

It looks like the TF backplate would stand off just fine , but it You have some solid info suggesting other wise I'd very much appreciate the input.

Many thanks

J

I have used the BQ install kit many times, but not on this particular MB. There is a thread here showing issues with a smaller backplate than BQ's on that board but I can't find it at the moment. But, take a quick look at the following and you will see what I am referring to:




You will clear the M.2, but the chips shown to the right of the socket in the above photo may cause the backplate not to sit flush. I know one user simply used a Noctua backplate in place of the BQ to solve the issue.
Edited by ciarlatano - 2/14/16 at 11:21am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Dark Rock TF With mITX 1151 Board?