Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Network Hardware › Running two PCI Express Quad Port Gigabit Cards
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Running two PCI Express Quad Port Gigabit Cards - Page 2

post #11 of 20
Someone just watched this video...

subbed for information! thumb.gif
post #12 of 20
Subbed

smil3dbd4e4c2e742.gif
Deepthought
(15 items)
 
Baldr
(14 items)
 
Terminal Dogma
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-7850K MSI A88XM-GAMING Integrated Crucial Ballistix Sport  
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 EVO  Prolimatech Genesis Black 2x Phanteks PH-F140HP 3x Noctua NF-P14S 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Debian 8 Samsung UN55H6350AFXZA Dell Generic Nanoxia Deep Silence 5 
MouseOther
Logitech G402 HP NC364T 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core I3 M370 Intel HD Toshiba Samsung 850 EVO 
OSOS
Windows 7 Ultimate Fedora 21 
  hide details  
Reply
Deepthought
(15 items)
 
Baldr
(14 items)
 
Terminal Dogma
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-7850K MSI A88XM-GAMING Integrated Crucial Ballistix Sport  
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 EVO  Prolimatech Genesis Black 2x Phanteks PH-F140HP 3x Noctua NF-P14S 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Debian 8 Samsung UN55H6350AFXZA Dell Generic Nanoxia Deep Silence 5 
MouseOther
Logitech G402 HP NC364T 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core I3 M370 Intel HD Toshiba Samsung 850 EVO 
OSOS
Windows 7 Ultimate Fedora 21 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmark2 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

I would assume a 16 port switch but that is just an assumption, can't wait for the reply.

Yeah... that... wouldn't work. At all. But I am curious what he's up to...

He said for 2x the performance so I assume he's trying to do what those boards do with two ethernet ports that advertise that you can connect both to the internet for double the performance. If two are 2x the performance, 8 must be like 8x or something?

 

Other than using the system as a server/switch/router I see no use in what he's doing. Speaking of which, I would really like to learn how to use Server 2012 as a router. I'm off to make a thread on it.


Edited by Liranan - 2/1/16 at 8:49am
The girlfriend.
(15 items)
 
The Mistress
(13 items)
 
Media Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-6410 Lenovo Lancer 4B2 K16.3 R5 128 Shaders/M230 Hynix 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400rmp Win 8.1 CMN1487 TN LED 14" 1366*768 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Lenovo AccuType 2900mAh/41Wh Elan Trackpad/Logitech M90 Super Flower 
Audio
AMD Avalon(Connexant) 
  hide details  
Reply
The girlfriend.
(15 items)
 
The Mistress
(13 items)
 
Media Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-6410 Lenovo Lancer 4B2 K16.3 R5 128 Shaders/M230 Hynix 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400rmp Win 8.1 CMN1487 TN LED 14" 1366*768 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Lenovo AccuType 2900mAh/41Wh Elan Trackpad/Logitech M90 Super Flower 
Audio
AMD Avalon(Connexant) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

He said for 2x the performance so I assume he's trying to do what those boards do with two ethernet ports that advertise that you can connect both to the internet for double the performance. If two are 2x the performance, 8 must be like 8x or something?

Other than using the system as a server/switch/router I see no use in what he's doing. Speaking of which, I would really like to learn how to use Server 2012 as a router. I'm off to make a thread on it.
I though the same I just wanted to test bought both of my cards they ship in a few days
post #15 of 20
No no... just... no. This isn't going to work.

NIC teaming only works when you have something ELSE that can support that much speed. You also have to use LACP teaming on the switch AND on the NIC itself. And TCP can only travel one path at a time. You could do 4 transfers at 1Gbit/s but NOT one transfer at 4Gbit/s.

Don't do this. This... just isn't a good plan.
Heisenberg
(10 items)
 
Redemption
(18 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core 2 Extreme @ 2.8GHz (upgrade) Intel GMA 950 2 x 2 DDR2 667MHz (upgrade) 120GB Mushkin ECO2 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
Replaced with 42 W/hr aux battery Mint 17.3 1280x800 Dell 65w Dell Adapter 
CaseOther
Latitude D630 Chassis Intel 7260-802.11ac 2x2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Not telling AsRock something Pixel Pusher 2 x 8 GB AMD Radeon RAM @ 1600mhz (All the VM's) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M4 128GB (8 second boot) Western Digital RE4 1TB Western Digital RE4 2TB Pioneer Blu-Ray Reader/Writer 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Dell U2713HM IBM Model M (CLICKY!!) 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec HCG-900 NZXT Source 210 (it was cheap) Logitech G502 Schiit Modi 
AudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 598 M-Audio AV40's 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4200U Microsoft BGA1168 Intel HD 4400 8 GB LPDDR3 Dual Channel @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SK Hynix 256GB SSD Windows 8.1 Professional 1920 x 1080p IPS Display Microsoft Touch Cover 2 
Power
48w PSU 
  hide details  
Reply
Heisenberg
(10 items)
 
Redemption
(18 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core 2 Extreme @ 2.8GHz (upgrade) Intel GMA 950 2 x 2 DDR2 667MHz (upgrade) 120GB Mushkin ECO2 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
Replaced with 42 W/hr aux battery Mint 17.3 1280x800 Dell 65w Dell Adapter 
CaseOther
Latitude D630 Chassis Intel 7260-802.11ac 2x2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Not telling AsRock something Pixel Pusher 2 x 8 GB AMD Radeon RAM @ 1600mhz (All the VM's) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M4 128GB (8 second boot) Western Digital RE4 1TB Western Digital RE4 2TB Pioneer Blu-Ray Reader/Writer 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Dell U2713HM IBM Model M (CLICKY!!) 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec HCG-900 NZXT Source 210 (it was cheap) Logitech G502 Schiit Modi 
AudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 598 M-Audio AV40's 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4200U Microsoft BGA1168 Intel HD 4400 8 GB LPDDR3 Dual Channel @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SK Hynix 256GB SSD Windows 8.1 Professional 1920 x 1080p IPS Display Microsoft Touch Cover 2 
Power
48w PSU 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderTheGoober View Post

Someone just watched this video...

subbed for information! thumb.gif

That is what I mean from my earlier comment... I am not expert in networking but there they use that technique to speed transfers inside a network from one computer to another and not to gain some boost to Internet speeds.
The MJ Project
(27 items)
 
Plexonator
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-5820k MSI X99S Krait EVGA 980 Ti SC Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR4 2666 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO Samsung 840 EVO Western Digital 1TB Black Western Digital 1 TB Black 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC AX360 Primochill Revolver Fittings Primochill PETG Tubing Clear Alphacool Pump 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC AX240 XSPC Raystorm Pro White XSPC Razor 980/980Ti Block Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 150 Windows 10 Home Asus PB278Q Corsair K70 RGB 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA 1000w P2 Fractal Design Define S Logitech G602 Glorious PC Gaming Race Extended Black 
AudioAudioAudio
Schiit Modi 2 JBL LSR305 White Schiit Magni 2 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor Asus H170I-Plus D3 Mini ITX LGA1151 Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Microsoft Windows 10 Logitech K800 
PowerCase
Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX 
  hide details  
Reply
The MJ Project
(27 items)
 
Plexonator
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-5820k MSI X99S Krait EVGA 980 Ti SC Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR4 2666 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO Samsung 840 EVO Western Digital 1TB Black Western Digital 1 TB Black 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC AX360 Primochill Revolver Fittings Primochill PETG Tubing Clear Alphacool Pump 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC AX240 XSPC Raystorm Pro White XSPC Razor 980/980Ti Block Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 150 Windows 10 Home Asus PB278Q Corsair K70 RGB 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA 1000w P2 Fractal Design Define S Logitech G602 Glorious PC Gaming Race Extended Black 
AudioAudioAudio
Schiit Modi 2 JBL LSR305 White Schiit Magni 2 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor Asus H170I-Plus D3 Mini ITX LGA1151 Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Microsoft Windows 10 Logitech K800 
PowerCase
Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 20

As you can see what you want isn't that easy to set up. Hardware/software incompatibilities can be really annoying so if you want better network use set up a PC with these NIC as server/router and connect all your PC's to that. Even then unless the server or both PC's are using SSD's or RAM disks you are unlikely to go over GBe speeds due to HD bottlenecks.

The girlfriend.
(15 items)
 
The Mistress
(13 items)
 
Media Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-6410 Lenovo Lancer 4B2 K16.3 R5 128 Shaders/M230 Hynix 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400rmp Win 8.1 CMN1487 TN LED 14" 1366*768 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Lenovo AccuType 2900mAh/41Wh Elan Trackpad/Logitech M90 Super Flower 
Audio
AMD Avalon(Connexant) 
  hide details  
Reply
The girlfriend.
(15 items)
 
The Mistress
(13 items)
 
Media Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-6410 Lenovo Lancer 4B2 K16.3 R5 128 Shaders/M230 Hynix 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400rmp Win 8.1 CMN1487 TN LED 14" 1366*768 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Lenovo AccuType 2900mAh/41Wh Elan Trackpad/Logitech M90 Super Flower 
Audio
AMD Avalon(Connexant) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmark2 View Post

No no... just... no. This isn't going to work.

NIC teaming only works when you have something ELSE that can support that much speed. You also have to use LACP teaming on the switch AND on the NIC itself. And TCP can only travel one path at a time. You could do 4 transfers at 1Gbit/s but NOT one transfer at 4Gbit/s.

Don't do this. This... just isn't a good plan.
Ok thanks for telling me I guess I will just put the second card I bought in my server. Thanks for the explanation thumb.gif
post #19 of 20
Hi


Here is what you would need to even start benefiting from those cards, according to each of these scenarios:


Scenario 1
One card on the server and one card on the PC to improve transfer speed between them:

- Only possible by using the multilink feature of SMB 3 which is only possible at the time of this post in windows server 2012, windows 8 and 10. (linux smb3 is not feature complete as of yet).
- Switch independent mode available (no LACP required) but may need to be setup under windows powershell depending on OS version.
- Total throughput available between both server and client = 500MB/s. (this means you should at least have both computers with a hdd/ssd capable of sustaining >300MB/s).



Scenario 2
Both cards on the same Server to feed a multitude of client PCs (with 8 nics you better be at a library.. in a big city)

- Server needs to be capable of link aggregation (either linux or windows server 2012)
- Switch independent mode available (no LACP required)
- Total server throughput = 1000MB/s. (linux does a lot of caching to the RAM, but still it would be nice if your HDD could sustain this speed).
- Client PC's can be made of potatoes.



tips:

- If you are planing this only to move big amounts of data within the server it self, don't do it. SMB 3 allows server side copy if you copy/paste data from within the same share. You would only need a measly 10mbps nic to copy gigabytes of data in a few seconds (depending on the server disk speeds). If you use a Server with linux with btrfs file system, those copies are instantaneous. (literally hundreds of gigabytes in less than a second).






I have personally configured and installed many servers across my company using scenario 2 with linux centos link aggregation mode 6 (no LACP required) with up to 5 nics. If you are deploying it to production in a fileserver capacity, I recommend lots and lots of RAM as linux caches all the latest files onto there, releasing a huge burden from the HDD life expectancy.




cheers
post #20 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyshagg View Post

Hi


Here is what you would need to even start benefiting from those cards, according to each of these scenarios:


Scenario 1
One card on the server and one card on the PC to improve transfer speed between them:

- Only possible by using the multilink feature of SMB 3 which is only possible at the time of this post in windows server 2012, windows 8 and 10. (linux smb3 is not feature complete as of yet).
- Switch independent mode available (no LACP required) but may need to be setup under windows powershell depending on OS version.
- Total throughput available between both server and client = 500MB/s. (this means you should at least have both computers with a hdd/ssd capable of sustaining >300MB/s).



Scenario 2
Both cards on the same Server to feed a multitude of client PCs (with 8 nics you better be at a library.. in a big city)

- Server needs to be capable of link aggregation (either linux or windows server 2012)
- Switch independent mode available (no LACP required)
- Total server throughput = 1000MB/s. (linux does a lot of caching to the RAM, but still it would be nice if your HDD could sustain this speed).
- Client PC's can be made of potatoes.



tips:

- If you are planing this only to move big amounts of data within the server it self, don't do it. SMB 3 allows server side copy if you copy/paste data from within the same share. You would only need a measly 10mbps nic to copy gigabytes of data in a few seconds (depending on the server disk speeds). If you use a Server with linux with btrfs file system, those copies are instantaneous. (literally hundreds of gigabytes in less than a second).






I have personally configured and installed many servers across my company using scenario 2 with linux centos link aggregation mode 6 (no LACP required) with up to 5 nics. If you are deploying it to production in a fileserver capacity, I recommend lots and lots of RAM as linux caches all the latest files onto there, releasing a huge burden from the HDD life expectancy.




cheers
Ok thanks for the information I plan to do Scenario number 1 thumb.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Network Hardware
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Network Hardware › Running two PCI Express Quad Port Gigabit Cards