Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Side case fan next to gpu exhaust or inflow ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Side case fan next to gpu exhaust or inflow ?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Hi guys,
The side case 200mm fan right next to the GPU should be at inflow or exhaust ? Although mine is at inflow, Someone told me recently that the g1 gaming cards exhaust a lot of heat , although I have two exhaust fans at top, including the 3rd one which is the cpu cooler and the 3 in flow fans at bottom , front and side ...I am just confused what to do
post #2 of 14
I always used my sidefans as intake and I put exaust in the back or top. Heat rises remember but will go with airflow if its strong enough.
post #3 of 14
what you want to do is to balance the airflow with a slight positive pressure. it would help if we know what case and fans you are working with so we know how much intake airflow you have. you indicated you have 3 intake fans at front, bottom and side and 2 exhaust at the top? do you mean 2 roof fans? or do you mean 1 roof and 1 rear? w/o knowing the case you are working with we couldn't offer the best airflow recommendations but as of right now, i would say if there is room on the roof to mount 2 intake fans, configure the roof fan that is closer to the front as intake fan to introduce cool intake air to the HSF of the cpu and put the 2nd fan on the rear exhaust port rather then the roof.. then you want to have front and floor fan as intake while the side fan as exhaust.

this is all dependent on what case you are working with and what kind of fan you are using. it's also dependent on where your computer case is located and the airflow pattern around the outside of your case. if your case is tall and located in a semi enclosed area (such as under a desk where the side and roof of the case is blocked by the desk, heat may be trapped by the desk and the roof intake idea would work negatively towards your cooling system.

so as of now we would need more information to offer better advice.
post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
I have a cooler master 690 II basic edition mid tower casing , I have 3 inflow fans one is a thermaltake 120mm at front , the second is corsair 120mm at bottom and a third is a cooler master 200mm side case fan....I have three exhaust fans two of them are at the top which are 120mm thermaltake fans and at the rear is my cpu cooler at exhaust, which I don't think exhausts the case heat because it's a cpu cooler with a radiator , I guess counting the CPU water cooler fan as an exhaust as a case fan is pretty much useless ....its just someone recently told me that my gpu which has three fans exhaust a lot of heat I thought if I set my side case fan right next to it at exhaust that would help but that might screw up the system ventilation
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by funfordcobra View Post

I always used my sidefans as intake and I put exaust in the back or top. Heat rises remember but will go with airflow if its strong enough.

I think it's been shown that the force of hot air rising is far far outweighed by any air movement from fans in the case, so it's pretty much negligible and not worth considering in the equation.

In terms of OPs question, could you do a little study, maybe set the air-con to 20 degrees, leave it running for an hour and get a stable room temperature. Then run a stress test on your gpu, record max temp after an hour or so, then flip the fan and repeat the process and see if there are noticeable gains?
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
air con at 20 degrees ? lol its winter here man i will freeze to death :'(
post #7 of 14
Wrong
http://pcfoo.com/2013/12/pcconvection/

Natural convection will not resist forced ventilation.

Heat goes the way forced flow is going. Simple physics.
post #8 of 14
My thinking is that the GPU cards are sucking in a lot of air from inside the case and then blowing it out the top of the card back into the case.If the side fan blows down on the cards it will interfere with the hot air exiting the top of the card as much as it will blow cool air into the intake of the card. What you want to do is get cool air into the case and exhaust hot air so having the side fan blow in against the top of the card is not ideal. Out seems better if it is right over the card. That will help get the air out of the card where it is going rather than force it back down into the card. You then need to get the cool air into the front of the GPU fans I would do that with a front fan. Probably not a front fan blowing through 100 hot hard drives if possible.

I dunno.. Works good for me with my setup anyhow.
Boring Black
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7-6700K ASUS Z170-DELUXE GTX980TI SC BP EVGA GTX980TI SC BP EVGA 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
GSKILL TRIDENT Z DDR4 3200 INTEL 750 NVME SSD 2.5" INTEL 730 SSD 2.5" NOCTUA NH D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit QNIX 2750 Evolution II Ducky Legend EVGA 1600W Titanium 
CaseMouse
Caselabs S8S SteelSeries Sensi Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
Boring Black
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7-6700K ASUS Z170-DELUXE GTX980TI SC BP EVGA GTX980TI SC BP EVGA 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
GSKILL TRIDENT Z DDR4 3200 INTEL 750 NVME SSD 2.5" INTEL 730 SSD 2.5" NOCTUA NH D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit QNIX 2750 Evolution II Ducky Legend EVGA 1600W Titanium 
CaseMouse
Caselabs S8S SteelSeries Sensi Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SauronTheGreat View Post

Hi guys,
The side case 200mm fan right next to the GPU should be at inflow or exhaust ? Although mine is at inflow, Someone told me recently that the g1 gaming cards exhaust a lot of heat , although I have two exhaust fans at top, including the 3rd one which is the cpu cooler and the 3 in flow fans at bottom , front and side ...I am just confused what to do
You might find "Ways to Better Cooling linked in my sig of interest. 1st post is list of topics, click on topic to see it. I suggest starting with post #5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfordcobra View Post

I always used my sidefans as intake and I put exaust in the back or top. Heat rises remember but will go with airflow if its strong enough.
Air heated or not goes where the fans in the system push / pull it. Simple as that. "Heat rises" has no place in any system cooling discussion where fans are being use.. None at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyclum View Post

what you want to do is to balance the airflow with a slight positive pressure. it would help if we know what case and fans you are working with so we know how much intake airflow you have. you indicated you have 3 intake fans at front, bottom and side and 2 exhaust at the top? do you mean 2 roof fans? or do you mean 1 roof and 1 rear? w/o knowing the case you are working with we couldn't offer the best airflow recommendations but as of right now, i would say if there is room on the roof to mount 2 intake fans, configure the roof fan that is closer to the front as intake fan to introduce cool intake air to the HSF of the cpu and put the 2nd fan on the rear exhaust port rather then the roof.. then you want to have front and floor fan as intake while the side fan as exhaust.
What psyclum said.

Using top fans in most air cooled systems ends up moving heated exhaust air up from GPU into CPU intake. It's better to try for front to back airflow with maybe an extra bottom intake to supply GPU and occasionally a rear top exhaust. Usually opening up the back of case around the GPU is the best way to improve GTU heat removal .. or out the side if side vent is over or slightly above GPU.
this is all dependent on what case you are working with and what kind of fan you are using. it's also dependent on where your computer case is located and the airflow pattern around the outside of your case. if your case is tall and located in a semi enclosed area (such as under a desk where the side and roof of the case is blocked by the desk, heat may be trapped by the desk and the roof intake idea would work negatively towards your cooling system.

so as of now we would need more information to offer better advice.
post #10 of 14
Maybe read more of the VERY SHORT thread post before you spout stuff that's not pertinent? Your post has already been pointed out and linked. (by me in my post without the bloatware before you)thumb.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Side case fan next to gpu exhaust or inflow ?