Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › The Devil's Canyon is burning hot
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Devil's Canyon is burning hot - Page 2

post #11 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwamotto Tetsuz View Post

Get a watercooler if you want lower temps, and or delid. Delid and stay delid for best performance
Delid and staying delid should be overkill cooling performance already

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post

The answer is really this simple. P95 with AVX is a known issue on Devil's Canyon CPUs.

SMH my head at all of the "delid" recommendations - telling someone to butcher their CPU for no reason when all they need is the right software version.
Was thinking the same things. thumb.gif
Along with the 'Get a water cooler' tongue.gif

@frozenoden
Not knowing what your entire system is really makes impossible to offer much advice. You might find some of the guides and arcticles in 'Ways to Better Cooling' liked in my sig of interest. 1st post is index. Click on topic of interest to see it. The 5th topic is a good starting point.

Your 212 cooler doesn't have near the cooling ability of top coolers, and without knowing what your air temps are inside of case we have no idea how well it is even doing.
post #12 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post

The answer is really this simple. P95 with AVX is a known issue on Devil's Canyon CPUs.

SMH my head at all of the "delid" recommendations - telling someone to butcher their CPU for no reason when all they need is the right software version.

I'm not saying he should delid because he had high temps in a stress testing program, I'm saying if he wants to overclock further as he has stated he wants to, with the same heat sink and to have some temp headroom he should delid as it is a known way to drop temps of Ivy/Haswell/DC quite considerably without buying anything. It's hardly butchering your CPU if you do it right.
post #13 of 56
Thread Starter 
I'm lurking the delid club thread and it looks like they have a "safe" delid tool. I'm familiar with the vice method but its too sloppy for me, and the angle of the chip to the jaw could be damaging.
The trick is getting the delid tool for cheap.

Never knew Devil's Canyon had a problem with AVX, but I will certainly look into that when I have the free time. I do kind of feel like its cheating to lower the standards of the stress test to meet the capabilities of the CPU. And my voltage is already fairly low. I have an Asus VII Gene on standby so I can monitor the vcore with a multimeter, but that would be a few days off at best before I can set all that up.
post #14 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post


Not knowing what your entire system is really makes impossible to offer much advice. You might find some of the guides and arcticles in 'Ways to Better Cooling' liked in my sig of interest. 1st post is index. Click on topic of interest to see it. The 5th topic is a good starting point.

Specs:

CM HAF 912 case
H212+ cooler
Intel 4790k stock
GTX 680

I have all stock CM fans on the case, and with the winter weather here my temps when I took that screenshot were 23 °C and 27 °C in the case
Not sure what the exhaust air temp was but it wasn't much over 30 °C if I remember right. It could be a poor heat transfer on the heat sink... Watercooling isn't much of an option with my compact case but I may upgrade my CPU fan from stock CM, or slap the second one on.

It might be worth noting I have the CPU fan mounted in a pull configuration.
post #15 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenoden View Post


Never knew Devil's Canyon had a problem with AVX, but I will certainly look into that when I have the free time. I do kind of feel like its cheating to lower the standards of the stress test to meet the capabilities of the CPU. And my voltage is already fairly low. I have an Asus VII Gene on standby so I can monitor the vcore with a multimeter, but that would be a few days off at best before I can set all that up.

You aren't lowering the standards of the stress test to meet the capabilities if the CPU. The newer iterations of P95 have a component that they have not been able to get compatible with DC. It is a software compatibility issue. The hardware stayed the same, and they changed P95. If Adobe released a new version of Flash that crashed when run on AMD GPUs, it certainly would not be the fault of the GPU - it would be Adobe that caused the compatibility issue.
post #16 of 56
I know heating up the IHS works for me. Getting it at 80-125C and using small screw drivers to gentally see if the IHS comes off.
I had ripped off 2 Soldered IHS and one dead but delid
and tried heating up a non soldered one. Non soldered one done easily.

Still theres risk as theres the need to heat up the IHS, So going delid tool would be the most safe way
Edited by Iwamotto Tetsuz - 2/2/16 at 4:20pm
post #17 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenoden View Post

I'm lurking the delid club thread and it looks like they have a "safe" delid tool. I'm familiar with the vice method but its too sloppy for me, and the angle of the chip to the jaw could be damaging.
The trick is getting the delid tool for cheap.

Never knew Devil's Canyon had a problem with AVX, but I will certainly look into that when I have the free time. I do kind of feel like its cheating to lower the standards of the stress test to meet the capabilities of the CPU. And my voltage is already fairly low. I have an Asus VII Gene on standby so I can monitor the vcore with a multimeter, but that would be a few days off at best before I can set all that up.

Using the vice with hair dryer is free and much safer than vice or vice and hammer method. Just watch the vid. I've delidded 3 haswell cpu's this way and takes 30 seconds.

I would definitely fit the second fan to your heatsink for push/pull to get the most out of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post

You aren't lowering the standards of the stress test to meet the capabilities if the CPU. The newer iterations of P95 have a component that they have not been able to get compatible with DC. It is a software compatibility issue. The hardware stayed the same, and they changed P95. If Adobe released a new version of Flash that crashed when run on AMD GPUs, it certainly would not be the fault of the GPU - it would be Adobe that caused the compatibility issue.

I was under the impression that skylake cannot run p95 under a specific test setting due to a hardware incompatibility but that with haswell/DC the aversion to using p95 was simply because of the additional avx2 instructions over ivy etc caused the CPU to pull far too much power resulting in such high heat density on the CPU die that temperatures just become ludicrously hot compared to normal usage and as such wasn't recommended as a way to test stability. ie not necessary, rather than being incompatible as it clearly runs the later versions of p95, skylake on the other hand can't run some specific custom tests.
post #18 of 56
Thread Starter 
Contacted a guy from the delid club
http://www.overclock.net/t/1313179/official-delidded-club-guide/29730

He made a delid tool that he wants to send out for testing. I've PM'd him so we'll see how that goes. I will hold off on remounting my H212+ until I hear back, I need to order some more Gelid, and TIM for the die... Should I go with CL Ultra or CL Liquid Pro?
post #19 of 56
Every die is different, but if you plan to overclock seriously, water is the way to go. I've got an i3 4370 at 3.8GHz on a 120mm water cooler, with two fans. At full load, it has never gone above 55 Celsius.
post #20 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyverman1123 View Post

Every die is different, but if you plan to overclock seriously, water is the way to go. I've got an i3 4370 at 3.8GHz on a 120mm water cooler, with two fans. At full load, it has never gone above 55 Celsius.

Was this post meant for this thread? And not sure what it has to do with overclocking....a $19 Hyper TX-3 air cooler would have no trouble keeping a stock 4370 under 55 degrees.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › The Devil's Canyon is burning hot