Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [sa] News of Nvidia’s Pascal tapeout and silicon is important
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[sa] News of Nvidia’s Pascal tapeout and silicon is important - Page 6

post #51 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaesthetic View Post

It really doesn't take a genius to realize that he is one.

Charlie isn't an AMD fanatic. He examines them like any other company. Charlie rights about Apple, Samsung, etc. When you look at these articles and the AMD ones they aren't any different in quality. What you need to appreciate is that he only hates Nvidia because they lied to him and the way they tried bullying him over that lie pretty much made him personally dislikes and distrusts them because of direct experience.

There's nothing wrong with holding a grudge against someone who personally wronged you as long as you don't allow it to effect your work. His venom embedded in his Nvidia articles still end up nearly always right a few weeks to a year later.
post #52 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomonshv View Post

O Rly? I humbly submit Exhibit A:


and that 980 Ti lightning is not even that fast. most 980 Tis can easily do 100Mhz better on the clock alone. my 980 Ti classy is water cooled and does 1540MHz without a problem. unfortunately OCing a 970 doesn't yield results anywhere near as dramatic because the card is starved on ROPs, RAM and other things. i use to have a pair of 970s in SLI. they were rubbish.

agreed , been there done that sold 970 sli yes the performance should be there but we all know why it isent dont believe all those benches you see until you have on hands experience.
post #53 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantmagnet View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaesthetic View Post

It really doesn't take a genius to realize that he is one.

Charlie isn't an AMD fanatic. He examines them like any other company. Charlie rights about Apple, Samsung, etc. When you look at these articles and the AMD ones they aren't any different in quality. What you need to appreciate is that he only hates Nvidia because they lied to him and the way they tried bullying him over that lie pretty much made him personally dislikes and distrusts them because of direct experience.

There's nothing wrong with holding a grudge against someone who personally wronged you as long as you don't allow it to effect your work. His venom embedded in his Nvidia articles still end up nearly always right a few weeks to a year later.
What did Nvidia do to the guy, again?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6700k 4.5 GHz 1.3v Asus Z170i MSI 980Ti 1490/7760 MHz G.skill DDR4 8 GB x2 3733 MHz 15-15-15-35-1 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB Crucial M4 256 GB NH-C14S Windows 10 Student 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
TBD Cooler Master Quick Fire TK Corsair SF600 Fractal Core 500 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Zowie EC2-A Zowie G TF-X Fiio E17 v1 Sennheiser HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6700k 4.5 GHz 1.3v Asus Z170i MSI 980Ti 1490/7760 MHz G.skill DDR4 8 GB x2 3733 MHz 15-15-15-35-1 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB Crucial M4 256 GB NH-C14S Windows 10 Student 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
TBD Cooler Master Quick Fire TK Corsair SF600 Fractal Core 500 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Zowie EC2-A Zowie G TF-X Fiio E17 v1 Sennheiser HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #54 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post

What did Nvidia do to the guy, again?

plus 1
post #55 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomonshv View Post

O Rly? I humbly submit Exhibit A:


and that 980 Ti lightning is not even that fast. most 980 Tis can easily do 100Mhz better on the clock alone. my 980 Ti classy is water cooled and does 1540MHz without a problem. unfortunately OCing a 970 doesn't yield results anywhere near as dramatic because the card is starved on ROPs, RAM and other things. i use to have a pair of 970s in SLI. they were rubbish.

980Ti lightning is the fastest custom 980TI card afaik in TPU reviews. It's max boost clock is at 1493Mhz at stock while five of the 11 980Ti cards tested by TPU don't even breach 1500Mhz at max OC much less 100Mhz over the 980Ti lightning.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_980_Ti_Waterforce/26.html

970 doesn't do as well at OCing because it boosts higher and can keep the clocks there due to lower TDP. TPU's stock 980Ti seems to be throttling below 1.2Ghz most of the time.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e2140@3.2Ghz abit IP35-E HIS IceQ4 4850 4GB 667@800 5-5-5-15 
OSPower
win xp 32 bit Corsair 450VX@stock 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e2140@3.2Ghz abit IP35-E HIS IceQ4 4850 4GB 667@800 5-5-5-15 
OSPower
win xp 32 bit Corsair 450VX@stock 
  hide details  
Reply
post #56 of 90
Maybe Zen and Polaris are the last chance for S|A too, site is not really visited anymore...

edit :
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamervivek View Post

It's max boost clock is at 1493Mhz at stock

Just no.
Quote:
Maximum overclock of our sample is +87 MHz to the GPU's base clock (7% overclock), which results in a maximum boost clock of 1518 MHz on the GPU and 2090 MHz on the memory (18% overclock).

Edited by Olivon - 2/4/16 at 6:07am
post #57 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamervivek View Post

980Ti lightning is the fastest custom 980TI card afaik in TPU reviews. It's max boost clock is at 1493Mhz at stock while five of the 11 980Ti cards tested by TPU don't even breach 1500Mhz at max OC much less 100Mhz over the 980Ti lightning.

Hardocp had their Lightning run at 1404 Mhz out of the box.

And techpowerup gained 11.7% from overclocking to 1518 Mhz. 11.7% from a 25 Mhz clock increase would be great but probably not realistic even with the good memory increase they got.

The Lightning numbers would be a pretty safe average for a 980 Ti. I don't think I've ever seen one that could not hit 1400 Mhz. So you can pretty much add 25% to 980 Ti fps from any source.
Upstairs Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asus Maximus VI Hero evga 1080 Ti with Hybrid mod Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb WD Caviar Black Corsair h100i GTX Windows 8.1 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
xb280hk EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Upstairs Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asus Maximus VI Hero evga 1080 Ti with Hybrid mod Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb WD Caviar Black Corsair h100i GTX Windows 8.1 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
xb280hk EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #58 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg75 View Post

Hardocp had their Lightning run at 1404 Mhz out of the box.

And techpowerup gained 11.7% from overclocking to 1518 Mhz. 11.7% from a 25 Mhz clock increase would be great but probably not realistic even with the good memory increase they got.

The Lightning numbers would be a pretty safe average for a 980 Ti. I don't think I've ever seen one that could not hit 1400 Mhz. So you can pretty much add 25% to 980 Ti fps from any source.

The Lightning numbers you see are by far the best out of box results, MSI upped their game from the 290x and opted to bin both the memory and core
post #59 of 90
With what I've read at the source, here and the SA forums, I can't see Pascal hitting market before mid H2 at best. Combine that with nvidia lying about having silicone, waving Maxwell 2 around as if it was Pascal is eerily reminiscent of the Fermi launch, lacking only the wood-screws and a chopped off PCB. Either way, noone should be supriced with a first "big" GPU launch from nvidia on a new process being less than stellar.
First 40nm: GF100 aka Fermi. Was never sold as a "fully enabled" chip. Fixed with the GF110.
First 28nm: GK100. Chip killed, replaced by a disabled GK110 as the original Titan. Full chip released to consumers (780ti) 9 months later.
That said, nvidia is the one with the most experience with huge chips (>500mm2) and if someone is gonna pull it off, it's gonna be nvidia. As for how long that is gonna take, I'd guess new-years at the earliest for the.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlhil2 View Post

I wouldn't call it "hate..", but, choice. some people are just more comfortable with a certain team for other reasons also. I mean, do the guys who bought the Fury X hate nvidia because they chose to buy the slower card? and by "slower", I mean compared to like 90% of the 980Ti's out of the box...and some of these guys chose the Fury X over the 980Ti AFTER telling others to "wait til Fiji drops to see which is the better card..", etc, etc...

As an owner of a Fury X, I can give you my reasons:

Support for PLP eyefinity (AFAIK, not possible with nvidia HW) (5440x1600)
Better IO (3x full-sides DP)re-checked my sources, seems there are 980ti's with 3 full-sized DP
Performance scaling better with resolution (5440x1600 > 4K)
No interest in supporting things like nvidia gameworks.
Known good compatibility with DP MST hubs (I have many screens)
Highest performance available supporting PLP eyefinty. (Was considering going from 2x 7970 -> 2x 285 just for that feature)
Better performance over time.

Most of the games I play are not "day one AAA". I played the last bioshock about a year ago. I play small, silly indie games. I play CS:GO. By the time I get and play a AAA title, it's months if not years since release, and most -> all issues are worked out anyway. And, by going back and comparing the 7970 with the 680/ 280x - 770 I notice the one on top switching. Perhaps this is a one-time thing, perhaps it's not. Also, with OC, over 600GB/s of bandthwith is funny.
Edited by Dupl3xxx - 2/4/16 at 6:22am
post #60 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jologskyblues View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by escksu View Post

What do you mean by competitive refresh? compete with whom?

Who else but AMD/RTG and their Radeon offerings, obviously. rolleyes.gif

Here, I'll elaborate for you, if Pascal ends up slower than Polaris and/or is delayed, I'll just wait for a refreshed Pascal that performs at least on par whatever the competition is offering at the time. If not, then Volta it is.

Refreshing architectures to improve the competitive positioning is of SKUs are nothing new. For example, going from the failure that was the GTX 480 to the more successful GTX 580, the latter a refresh of the former, both of which are based on Fermi.
Seems like you have made up with your mind already so why do you even need to wait them to have competitive product against AMD when you already have decided that you won't buy other than beloved nvidia? rolleyes.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [sa] News of Nvidia’s Pascal tapeout and silicon is important