Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Case Mods › Case Mod Work Logs › [Scratch Build] 18yo first custom pc build and case: project "Tall boy"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Scratch Build] 18yo first custom pc build and case: project "Tall boy" - Page 3

post #21 of 31
Thread Starter 
thanks for the reaction.

I get your argument and will be looking into an other motherboard (I had first chosen for a non k cpu and was counting on temperature scaling instead of overclocking)

but what i don't get is not buying the 980ti as for performance, it was last generations top dog so i should still be a top contender
And as far as performance/dollar I will be buying it used with warranty for about :
-gtx 970 4gb -> 200€
-gtx 980ti 6gb ->400€
-titan x 12gb ->450-500€

so i'm still thinking about this because i'm not going for an all out performance build but something more balanced.

SO.... i don't get why you shoot the gtx 980ti down?

and for the storage i will indeed probably end up using the samsung evo 850

chiao!
Edited by darksidecookie - 9/6/16 at 1:27pm
post #22 of 31
love how its named after an atom bomb biggrin.gif made me look
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TainePC View Post

love how its named after an atom bomb biggrin.gif made me look

The tall boy was a large earthquake bomb designed to be dropped by a structure and shake it down. It was not nuclear. The two atom bombs dropped on Japan were Little Boy and Fat Man.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5930K Haswell-e Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1 Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler Win 7 Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX760 Scratch built. Currently under construction at ... Logitech M525 El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3930k ASUS P9X79 WS MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB... Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDR... 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Inter... COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Slee... 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Ultimate 3 x Asus VG248QE Vizio VO320E 32" TV Logitech G510s 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX750W Antec Two Hundred v2 Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers 
AudioOtherOtherOther
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-... LSI 9211-8i HBA card HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in... StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Ho... 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5930K Haswell-e Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1 Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler Win 7 Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX760 Scratch built. Currently under construction at ... Logitech M525 El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3930k ASUS P9X79 WS MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB... Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDR... 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Inter... COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Slee... 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Ultimate 3 x Asus VG248QE Vizio VO320E 32" TV Logitech G510s 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX750W Antec Two Hundred v2 Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers 
AudioOtherOtherOther
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-... LSI 9211-8i HBA card HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in... StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Ho... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee0 View Post

Hello! You have an awesome empty case and I would be more than happy to help you fill it! thumb.gif
...

Do NOT buy a new 980ti! You really only have 2 options for an enthusiast card these days. Either Nvidias NEW titan x (without GTX before it) It costs 1 200 usd from nvidia. OR you can buy nvidias new card the gtx 1080. It is also really good, you won't really need more than a 1080 IMHO.

Storage Samsung's 850 EVO series is the best ssd!

That's what he said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksidecookie View Post

thanks for the reaction.

I get your argument and will be looking into an other motherboard (I had first chosen for a non k cpu and was counting on temperature scaling instead of overclocking)

but what i don't get is not buying the 980ti as for performance, it was last generations top dog so i should still be a top contender
And as far as performance/dollar I will be buying it use with warranty for about :
-gtx 970 4gb -> 200€
-gtx 980ti 6gb ->400€
-titan x 12gb ->450-500€

I agree with Lee0 in that you should get the new series of cards. GTX 1070 meets or surpases 980ti in performance charts, and cuts the power down dramatically. On Amazon.co.uk I'm seeing 1070's for less then 400€. Newer architecture has benefits too, it will likely improve even more with drivers.

And back to what I said yesterday, your power requirements would go down with new gen, so cheaper SFX PSU and less heat generation.
post #25 of 31
Thread Starter 
unfortunately the cheapest gtx 1070 I have acces to at the moment is 550€ so wi'll see when the time comes to buy the components,

but with these advantages it is hard to not go with the 1070 biggrin.gif
post #26 of 31
Also the best 1080s so far has been Gainward and palit's pheonix glh and super jetstream models. They are cheaper than more mainstream card's like Asus' but better. Good luck!
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee0 View Post

Also the best 1080s so far has been Gainward and palit's pheonix glh and super jetstream models. They are cheaper than more mainstream card's like Asus' but better. Good luck!

The ASUS Strix GTX1080 is good (similar temps), Gainward has better clocks though. However the Gainward is a 3 slot wide card, I'd be worried that would not fit in this tiny case (have to measure that out).
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash4fun View Post

The ASUS Strix GTX1080 is good (similar temps), Gainward has better clocks though. However the Gainward is a 3 slot wide card, I'd be worried that would not fit in this tiny case (have to measure that out).




Quote:
''The Phoenix and the game rock is the perfect all-rounder

The test field includes two all-rounders who embody the best choice of Pascal flagship for most players: The Gainward GeForce GTX 1080 Phoenix GLH and the Palit GeForce GTX 1080 Game Rock Premium Edition. Both graphics cards are among the three fastest models in the test field and - just as important - are also with audible distance to the competition the two quietest candidates. While its power consumption is in the upper third, however, is not abnormally high. The only drawback is the enormous scale that result from the three-slot cooler with overhang. A look into his own, in order to verify that the graphics card can be installed easily, therefore is mandatory for both models.''

Also the pheonix and super jetstream glh are only 2.5 slot cards, the zotac amp! extreme however is 3 slot.
post #29 of 31
Subbing to this! Wow i want a dark side cookie now, nom noms upsidedwnsmiley.gif
i7 Gaming Rig
(12 items)
 
C2Q Gaming Rig
(12 items)
 
AM1 Gaming Rig
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3.4GHZ (Turbo 3.8GHZ) Asus P8H61-M LX2 Evga Gtx 1060 6GB (1700MHZ Core / 9000MHZ Mem) 16GB DDR3 PC-1600 (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2TB WD Sata 7200RPM 64MB Cache Lg Sata Dvd-Rw Cooler Master Hyper T4 Win 10 Pro 64 Bit 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
LG 24M47H-P 24 Inch (1080P) Evga 500W  Cooler Master N200 Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 Channel PCI-E 1x 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel C2Q Q9650 @ 4GHZ 1.225v Asus P5Q-E Msi Gtx 960 2GB (1300MHZ Core / 8000MHZ Mem)  8GB DDR2 PC-6400 (4x2GB) Kingston  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
x2 500GB Seagate Sata 7200RPM 32MB Cache  Lg Sata Dvd-Rw Arctic Freezer 7 Rev. 2 Win 10 Pro 64 Bit 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
Acer G185H 19 Inch Thermaltake TR2 RX-550W Cooler Master Elite 334 Nvidia Edition Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 Channel PCI-E 1x 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Amd Athlon 5350 @ 2.1GHZ 1.3v Ecs KAM1-l Mini-ITX Evga Gtx 750Ti 2GB (1330MHZ Core / 6000MHZ Mem) 8GB DDR3 PC-1600 (1x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
500GB Seagate Sata 7200RPM 32MB Cache  Lg Sata Dvd-Rw  Arctic Alpine M1 Win 10 Pro 64 Bit 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
Phillips 52 Inch Flatscreen Evga 430W Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini-ITX Realtek HD 
  hide details  
Reply
i7 Gaming Rig
(12 items)
 
C2Q Gaming Rig
(12 items)
 
AM1 Gaming Rig
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3.4GHZ (Turbo 3.8GHZ) Asus P8H61-M LX2 Evga Gtx 1060 6GB (1700MHZ Core / 9000MHZ Mem) 16GB DDR3 PC-1600 (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2TB WD Sata 7200RPM 64MB Cache Lg Sata Dvd-Rw Cooler Master Hyper T4 Win 10 Pro 64 Bit 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
LG 24M47H-P 24 Inch (1080P) Evga 500W  Cooler Master N200 Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 Channel PCI-E 1x 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel C2Q Q9650 @ 4GHZ 1.225v Asus P5Q-E Msi Gtx 960 2GB (1300MHZ Core / 8000MHZ Mem)  8GB DDR2 PC-6400 (4x2GB) Kingston  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
x2 500GB Seagate Sata 7200RPM 32MB Cache  Lg Sata Dvd-Rw Arctic Freezer 7 Rev. 2 Win 10 Pro 64 Bit 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
Acer G185H 19 Inch Thermaltake TR2 RX-550W Cooler Master Elite 334 Nvidia Edition Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 Channel PCI-E 1x 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Amd Athlon 5350 @ 2.1GHZ 1.3v Ecs KAM1-l Mini-ITX Evga Gtx 750Ti 2GB (1330MHZ Core / 6000MHZ Mem) 8GB DDR3 PC-1600 (1x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
500GB Seagate Sata 7200RPM 32MB Cache  Lg Sata Dvd-Rw  Arctic Alpine M1 Win 10 Pro 64 Bit 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
Phillips 52 Inch Flatscreen Evga 430W Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini-ITX Realtek HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 31
Thread Starter 
HI all

Small(ish) update:

first off all, i did get the job but not fast enough so i'm still a week or two away from ordering the parts .

This is because i want to buy all the essential parts at once to make sure they work before installing everything .

these essential components are:

-6700k
-corsair sf600 psu
-kingston hyperX 16gb DDR4 RAM (1 stick so it can be upgraded to 32gb in the future)
-samsung 850 evo M.2 SSD
-Fractal design kelvin s24 cooler
-ASUS z170i itx motherboard

Second i've been working on a logo and watermark




and some photo's of the burnmarks the laser left mellowsmiley.gif but I don't think this will be big enough of a problem to pain the whole case.
Mainly because the burnmarks are only around the screw holes, and as the screws will be countersunk the burnmarks will mostly be removed. (I hope )




Hopefully the next update will involve components biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Case Mod Work Logs
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Case Mods › Case Mod Work Logs › [Scratch Build] 18yo first custom pc build and case: project "Tall boy"