Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [TS] Wired: Stop blocking our ads, Pay for an ad-free version or You can go elsewhere
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[TS] Wired: Stop blocking our ads, Pay for an ad-free version or You can go elsewhere - Page 8

post #71 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post

Oh, I understand, I was educating you on your ignorance of the publishing world.

You SHOULD care if sites that provide news make money...Because if they don't...You won't have news anymore. It really is //THAT// simple.

It's also not "bad behaviour" - Ads are ads.

Like I said, you can't have this both ways...Either you view the ads and therefor, the site survives, or you don't...and it dies.

You can only educate me on my ignorance if I do not already know about it. I do. You're just being condescending. It's not that I don't know, it's that I do not care. Contributing to an ad-plastered Internet is bad behavior. If the sites die for lack of ads, I'm okay with that.

We just come from completely opposite world views. You'll find no common ground here, move along.
post #72 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post

Oh, I understand, I was educating you on your ignorance of the publishing world.

You SHOULD care if sites that provide news make money...Because if they don't...You won't have news anymore. It really is //THAT// simple.

It's also not "bad behaviour" - Ads are ads.

Like I said, you can't have this both ways...Either you view the ads and therefor, the site survives, or you don't...and it dies.


I think you have an extreme bias here Masked as you always pop up in these adblocker threads defending sites to the death.


Here's your problem : your business model is flawed bud. Consumers don't want your product with the fee that you are charging (ads) It is the producers job, not the consumers job, to find a new profit model and make that work. Else you will go the way of the dinosaur. Consumers drive the market and you know this.
 
4th time
(18 items)
 
3rd time
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k ASrock x99 Fatal1ty professional Gigabyte 1080 ti Corsair Vengeance DDR4 CAS 15 32GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 850 1TB SSD Corsair 110i GTX Microsoft Windows 10 Professional Acer 24 inch IPS 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Acer 24 inch IPS Acer 24 inch IPS Samsung 40 inch Corsair Strafe RGB MX cherry blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX1000i Corsair Air 540 Corsair M65 RGB  Razer Manticor  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k ASROCK Fatal1ty p67 EVGA GTX 980 SC 16380 MBMBDDR3-SDRAM (Gskill) 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung HD103SJ x 2 Samsung 850 EVO  Corsair H100i Windows 10 Professional 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
Samsung - LN40D550 - 40" LCD TV - 1080p ACER R240HY ACER R240HY ACER R240HY 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
razer black widow Corsair TX850 Coolermaster HAF 932 CM Storm Recon 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
955 MSI 870S-G54 2 x 6850 HIS IceQ-x 8 Gigabytes Gskill 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB zalman 90mm Windows Ultimate x64 LG 47'  
MonitorPowerCase
Vizio 37' E370L  OCZ Modstream 700W Logisys CS888CL 
  hide details  
Reply
 
4th time
(18 items)
 
3rd time
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k ASrock x99 Fatal1ty professional Gigabyte 1080 ti Corsair Vengeance DDR4 CAS 15 32GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 850 1TB SSD Corsair 110i GTX Microsoft Windows 10 Professional Acer 24 inch IPS 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Acer 24 inch IPS Acer 24 inch IPS Samsung 40 inch Corsair Strafe RGB MX cherry blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX1000i Corsair Air 540 Corsair M65 RGB  Razer Manticor  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k ASROCK Fatal1ty p67 EVGA GTX 980 SC 16380 MBMBDDR3-SDRAM (Gskill) 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung HD103SJ x 2 Samsung 850 EVO  Corsair H100i Windows 10 Professional 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
Samsung - LN40D550 - 40" LCD TV - 1080p ACER R240HY ACER R240HY ACER R240HY 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
razer black widow Corsair TX850 Coolermaster HAF 932 CM Storm Recon 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
955 MSI 870S-G54 2 x 6850 HIS IceQ-x 8 Gigabytes Gskill 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB zalman 90mm Windows Ultimate x64 LG 47'  
MonitorPowerCase
Vizio 37' E370L  OCZ Modstream 700W Logisys CS888CL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #73 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejohnson View Post

If they wanted people to turn off adblocker, how about they turn off the 6 pop up ads, and the 15 animated ads that take forever to load and then start playing audio randomly.... Also, they need to stop with multiple page articles... It's the internet, you don't need to make each paragraph a page so you can have 80 ads per article.

Omg, are they really one of those lame sites that do this? Definitely not going to visit, or disable the ad tracker for them. Here's why: @Masked

Sites that do this are manipulating their total page views, in order to attract more advertisers and or simply make more from their ads.

If 1000 people view an article, the total site page views are listed as 10,000! Very very misleading to potential advertisers

Besides I truly hate those sites that make you click to read the rest of the content, it's not user friendly but self serving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrip541 View Post

Im more than willing to support sites i believe in. I pay for a couple subscriptions even though i already get access for free through my job. All you entitled freeloaders are the reason we cant have nice things.

If we had to pay a $4 subscription for every site that I visit regularly, my subscription fees would be in the 100's or thousands a month!

Are you aware that there are over 800 MILLION sites?

I been working online since 2002, and none of my sites has ever been reliant on ad revenue.

Facebook found a way to display ads that aren't intrusive, and are actually effective. These lame publications remind me of the Music industry, refuse to adapt and change and were left in the dust by Apple & Google for music streaming.
Edited by 2010rig - 2/9/16 at 7:14am
2010rig
(14 items)
 
Galaxy S3
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon S4 Dual core 1500mhz Adreno 225 Samsung 2GB 16GB Onboard Flash 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Android 4.4.2 - CM11 4.8" AMOLED 1280x720 2100 mAh battery Otterbox Defender 
  hide details  
Reply
2010rig
(14 items)
 
Galaxy S3
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon S4 Dual core 1500mhz Adreno 225 Samsung 2GB 16GB Onboard Flash 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Android 4.4.2 - CM11 4.8" AMOLED 1280x720 2100 mAh battery Otterbox Defender 
  hide details  
Reply
post #74 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkpriest667 View Post

I think you have an extreme bias here Masked as you always pop up in these adblocker threads defending sites to the death.


Here's your problem : your business model is flawed bud. Consumers don't want your product with the fee that you are charging (ads) It is the producers job, not the consumers job, to find a new profit model and make that work. Else you will go the way of the dinosaur. Consumers drive the market and you know this.

I've NEVER commented in an Adblocker thread...I've never defended these sites...In fact, this is the first time I've actually commented on AdBlocker, at all. - So...Yeah...

It's not MY business model - It is THE business model. It is publisher's business model.

If consumers don't want to view the ads or pay the "fees" then there will no longer be publishers.

The ad-model has worked until viewers decided they no longer wanted to see ads. Less ads ultimately leads to less or no content...Like I said, it's a proven cycle.

Consumers drive the market true but, consumers can only drive markets when they actually exist. What happens when the New York Times, dies...Or Vogue...GQ...Guitar Mag...Rolling Stone - Publishers that have actually DRIVEN entire industries? Are we better for it? Or worse off?

Rolling Stone has actually made band's CAREERS...They're struggling. NYT is down to rock bottom...You know, you could even swing media bias into this - What happens when only 1 source drives the news? - Answer: They get to make the news whatever they want...Ponder that little intellectual nugget.

Fox gets more sensational because they HAVE TO make money. So do the ads...Like I said, vicious cycle is vicious...The real problem is when 1 rules them all...You all complain about competition driving the market...You're single-handedly eliminating the competition, here.
post #75 of 397
I just went to wireds home page, there are 5 ads on it. THe top of the page is a giant video ad, then right below it is a animated ad for the same product....
Halfway down the page are 3 animated paypal ads. OK you have 5 ad slots, covered by 2 companies... how about you remove 3 of the ads, and only show the 2 that are actually there. No need to double or triple up on the same ad in the same field of view.

I visited one of the actual articles, there are 3 ads, on that page. One GIANT video ad at the top, then 2 ads at the bottom that match the style of the related article links and are nested in with the related article links... so they look like related articles.

While its not a huge amount of ads, its the way they are presented. Giant video ads can effect site performance. Nesting smaller ads to look like links to your other content is just trickery. People see a article that might be good only to find out its a ad for something and not a article at all.
Edited by ejohnson - 2/9/16 at 7:21am
post #76 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post

I've NEVER commented in an Adblocker thread...I've never defended these sites...In fact, this is the first time I've actually commented on AdBlocker, at all. - So...Yeah...

It's not MY business model - It is THE business model. It is publisher's business model.

If consumers don't want to view the ads or pay the "fees" then there will no longer be publishers.

The ad-model has worked until viewers decided they no longer wanted to see ads. Less ads ultimately leads to less or no content...Like I said, it's a proven cycle.

Consumers drive the market true but, consumers can only drive markets when they actually exist. What happens when the New York Times, dies...Or Vogue...GQ...Guitar Mag...Rolling Stone - Publishers that have actually DRIVEN entire industries? Are we better for it? Or worse off?

Rolling Stone has actually made band's CAREERS...They're struggling. NYT is down to rock bottom...You know, you could even swing media bias into this - What happens when only 1 source drives the news? - Answer: They get to make the news whatever they want...Ponder that little intellectual nugget.

Fox gets more sensational because they HAVE TO make money. So do the ads...Like I said, vicious cycle is vicious...The real problem is when 1 rules them all...You all complain about competition driving the market...You're single-handedly eliminating the competition, here.


My students and even myself are getting our news from other sources than print and text media. If Rolling Stone and NYT can't adapt then they will fail. That is how the market economy works. If the publishers want to exist they have to remain relevant. I'd go back and dig up the other times you defended them but I dont have the time and I am at work right now. The only reason I am even commenting in here is because my students are taking a test and I am caught up on grading.
 
4th time
(18 items)
 
3rd time
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k ASrock x99 Fatal1ty professional Gigabyte 1080 ti Corsair Vengeance DDR4 CAS 15 32GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 850 1TB SSD Corsair 110i GTX Microsoft Windows 10 Professional Acer 24 inch IPS 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Acer 24 inch IPS Acer 24 inch IPS Samsung 40 inch Corsair Strafe RGB MX cherry blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX1000i Corsair Air 540 Corsair M65 RGB  Razer Manticor  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k ASROCK Fatal1ty p67 EVGA GTX 980 SC 16380 MBMBDDR3-SDRAM (Gskill) 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung HD103SJ x 2 Samsung 850 EVO  Corsair H100i Windows 10 Professional 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
Samsung - LN40D550 - 40" LCD TV - 1080p ACER R240HY ACER R240HY ACER R240HY 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
razer black widow Corsair TX850 Coolermaster HAF 932 CM Storm Recon 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
955 MSI 870S-G54 2 x 6850 HIS IceQ-x 8 Gigabytes Gskill 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB zalman 90mm Windows Ultimate x64 LG 47'  
MonitorPowerCase
Vizio 37' E370L  OCZ Modstream 700W Logisys CS888CL 
  hide details  
Reply
 
4th time
(18 items)
 
3rd time
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k ASrock x99 Fatal1ty professional Gigabyte 1080 ti Corsair Vengeance DDR4 CAS 15 32GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 850 1TB SSD Corsair 110i GTX Microsoft Windows 10 Professional Acer 24 inch IPS 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Acer 24 inch IPS Acer 24 inch IPS Samsung 40 inch Corsair Strafe RGB MX cherry blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX1000i Corsair Air 540 Corsair M65 RGB  Razer Manticor  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k ASROCK Fatal1ty p67 EVGA GTX 980 SC 16380 MBMBDDR3-SDRAM (Gskill) 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung HD103SJ x 2 Samsung 850 EVO  Corsair H100i Windows 10 Professional 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
Samsung - LN40D550 - 40" LCD TV - 1080p ACER R240HY ACER R240HY ACER R240HY 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
razer black widow Corsair TX850 Coolermaster HAF 932 CM Storm Recon 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
955 MSI 870S-G54 2 x 6850 HIS IceQ-x 8 Gigabytes Gskill 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB zalman 90mm Windows Ultimate x64 LG 47'  
MonitorPowerCase
Vizio 37' E370L  OCZ Modstream 700W Logisys CS888CL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #77 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post


I agree entirely BUT, the malicious code only exists because of blocking apps.

It's the ultimate catch-22 and red herring in a nutshell...Really is.

The maliciousness ultimately roared into existence BECAUSE of ads being circumvented but, now it's so bad that users don't want to visit anyway so, what do you do?

I sympathize with Wired. - Perhaps the takeaway with Wired is that, they'll cut the malicious advertising in an effort to side with their readers?

I'm not sure that is the case, but I'll admit my ignorance on that particular part of the whole issue. smile.gif

Be that as it may though, executing malicious code is never an acceptable way to get around an ad blocker. If sites know that users are using adblockers to halt benign ads, then a simple "Hey, please disable your adblocker. Click here to learn more" banner would work.

By using dirty tricks and dangerous programming, ad networks only alienated users further and gave a battle cry to the ad blocking community. Furthermore, they alienated me, a sympathetic network engineer/administrator. There are innumerable devices behind the firewalls that I maintain. Not one of those devices can connect to the hostnames that ad networks run on. Why? Because malware infestations and drive-by downloads were so bad that my hand was forced.

I have no moral objection to ads and, even if I did, it would not be right for me to impose that upon my users. However, I do have an obligation to protect the network's security. Therefore, I did what I had to do. The day that ad networks realize that it is their malicious code to blame for people flocking to ad blockers is the day I'll drop those shields and let the ads back through.
Heisenberg
(10 items)
 
Redemption
(18 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core 2 Extreme @ 2.8GHz (upgrade) Intel GMA 950 2 x 2 DDR2 667MHz (upgrade) 120GB Mushkin ECO2 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
Replaced with 42 W/hr aux battery Mint 17.3 1280x800 Dell 65w Dell Adapter 
CaseOther
Latitude D630 Chassis Intel 7260-802.11ac 2x2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Not telling AsRock something Pixel Pusher 2 x 8 GB AMD Radeon RAM @ 1600mhz (All the VM's) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M4 128GB (8 second boot) Western Digital RE4 1TB Western Digital RE4 2TB Pioneer Blu-Ray Reader/Writer 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Dell U2713HM IBM Model M (CLICKY!!) 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec HCG-900 NZXT Source 210 (it was cheap) Logitech G502 Schiit Modi 
AudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 598 M-Audio AV40's 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4200U Microsoft BGA1168 Intel HD 4400 8 GB LPDDR3 Dual Channel @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SK Hynix 256GB SSD Windows 8.1 Professional 1920 x 1080p IPS Display Microsoft Touch Cover 2 
Power
48w PSU 
  hide details  
Reply
Heisenberg
(10 items)
 
Redemption
(18 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core 2 Extreme @ 2.8GHz (upgrade) Intel GMA 950 2 x 2 DDR2 667MHz (upgrade) 120GB Mushkin ECO2 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
Replaced with 42 W/hr aux battery Mint 17.3 1280x800 Dell 65w Dell Adapter 
CaseOther
Latitude D630 Chassis Intel 7260-802.11ac 2x2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Not telling AsRock something Pixel Pusher 2 x 8 GB AMD Radeon RAM @ 1600mhz (All the VM's) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M4 128GB (8 second boot) Western Digital RE4 1TB Western Digital RE4 2TB Pioneer Blu-Ray Reader/Writer 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Dell U2713HM IBM Model M (CLICKY!!) 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec HCG-900 NZXT Source 210 (it was cheap) Logitech G502 Schiit Modi 
AudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 598 M-Audio AV40's 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4200U Microsoft BGA1168 Intel HD 4400 8 GB LPDDR3 Dual Channel @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SK Hynix 256GB SSD Windows 8.1 Professional 1920 x 1080p IPS Display Microsoft Touch Cover 2 
Power
48w PSU 
  hide details  
Reply
post #78 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkpriest667 View Post

My students and even myself are getting our news from other sources than print and text media. If Rolling Stone and NYT can't adapt then they will fail. That is how the market economy works. If the publishers want to exist they have to remain relevant. I'd go back and dig up the other times you defended them but I dont have the time and I am at work right now. The only reason I am even commenting in here is because my students are taking a test and I am caught up on grading.

So you make a baseless accusation, I review my post history, tell you, you're wrong and the response is "but I don't have the time".

If you're going to toss an accusation, it's honorable to actually defend it...Especially when it's proven wrong.

Media bias is a real thing. Less media, more bias.

It doesn't change the fact that this IS the model. Ads are a necessary evil and you actually can't have this both ways.

Either you support the website by viewing the ads and thus, prolong it's existence.

Or you don't and it will wither away and die.

Again, I point you to bias. The less sites we support that uphold our views, the more biased the overall sourcing becomes.

Just think about a world run by Fox News. - I'm a republican and I HATE Fox...The sensationalism is off the charts but, that's how they get viewers.

I'm not saying do away with AdBlocker, I'm saying support the sites that uphold your views or, just like voting in America, it will eventually just suffocate and die.
post #79 of 397
@Masked

A quick Google search reveals that New York times could be worth almost $19 BILLION rolleyes.gif

http://www.mondaynote.com/2015/02/15/the-nytimes-could-be-worth-19bn-instead-of-2bn/

But hey, let's focus on their current market cap of $2 Billion. They're worth more than AMD lachen.gif they sure are about to hit "rock bottom"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkpriest667 View Post

My students and even myself are getting our news from other sources than print and text media. If Rolling Stone and NYT can't adapt then they will fail. That is how the market economy works. If the publishers want to exist they have to remain relevant. I'd go back and dig up the other times you defended them but I dont have the time and I am at work right now. The only reason I am even commenting in here is because my students are taking a test and I am caught up on grading.

The thing is, the NYT has adapted, they made $169 Million in revenue on 910,000 digital subscribers they didn't have 7 years ago. I'll need to see proof of how NYT is about to hit rock bottom
Edited by 2010rig - 2/9/16 at 7:34am
2010rig
(14 items)
 
Galaxy S3
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon S4 Dual core 1500mhz Adreno 225 Samsung 2GB 16GB Onboard Flash 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Android 4.4.2 - CM11 4.8" AMOLED 1280x720 2100 mAh battery Otterbox Defender 
  hide details  
Reply
2010rig
(14 items)
 
Galaxy S3
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon S4 Dual core 1500mhz Adreno 225 Samsung 2GB 16GB Onboard Flash 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Android 4.4.2 - CM11 4.8" AMOLED 1280x720 2100 mAh battery Otterbox Defender 
  hide details  
Reply
post #80 of 397
I subscribe to the WSJ, and at ~ $30/month You would expect no ads. :wth :. And honestly I will only click on ads that use the https://acceptableads.org/ policy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [TS] Wired: Stop blocking our ads, Pay for an ad-free version or You can go elsewhere