Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › New Build Issue with PC bugging out after an hour
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Build Issue with PC bugging out after an hour

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Hey ya'll,
Was wondering if I could get some insight on the problem I'm having.
I've put together a new rig, that I will use for work stuff, over the weekend.
I've got
i7-5930k (microcenter had a real nice sale)
Gigabyte x99-UD3P
16gb Crutial Ram 2133
GTX 740
Corsair CS600M PSU
500GB Samsung 850 Evo
Win 7

I use Core Temp, CPUZ, hardware monitor to check on things. Iwas stressing out the system couple days before to make sure no faulty hardware.

So the way it goes after an hour or so Core temp and hardware monitor are no longer reporting changing stats such as CPU temps/voltage. If I try to restart the program, Core temp doesnt turn back on, the temps icons that it shows in the bottom right corner never disappear when Core temp is closed and once again the temps are not updating. With hardware monitor when I try to restart that, when it restarts it shows nothing. Same thing with CPUZ when restarted, every field is just blank.
When doing things on the PC I've notice a lag when trying to open any program, even it should open up instantly, especially since I get that loading circle. Also at one point yesterday of being idle for some hours one of the threads was stuck at 100% with nothing running.

Now since I discovered this a bit late in the evening yesterday and had to go to sleep, I didn't try anything except turn off the PC unplug all the power, discharge any stored power and remove the CMOS battery. Figured maybe some mobo settings got messed up. Besides that I've no Idea what could cause this, unless something is wrong with the mobo? CPU?

It's a brand new installed version of Win7 and almost nothing installed on it, except for like 2 programs.
post #2 of 17
I can almost promise you its the mobo.

Those cheap gigabyte boards are possessed by the devil. I had a similar model on x79 and it was an absolute nightmare. I talked to the people at microcenter and they said they get returned all the time.

I would go back and return the gigabyte board for the MSI x99 SLI plus which is a really solid mobo. http://www.microcenter.com/product/446613/X99S_SLI_Plus_LGA_2011-3_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

Also....how much of this PC is new? I get a really bad feeling you were led around the shop by an idiot.
Yin&Yang
(19 items)
 
Soon
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4820K Gigabyte X79 UP4 GTX 660 (waiting for new AMD cards) Samsung green  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Adata SP900  Seagate 2TB hard drive (the power of 1 edition)  Custom WC Loop Linux (various versions) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster T240HD Coolermaster XT Green switches XFX 1000w Corsair 800D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Naga Epic 2014 edition Razer Vespula Stax Lambda Nova Classic Custom DIY DAC 
AudioAudioOther
300b PP monoblocks Snell J3 NZXT Hue 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz 8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz EVGA X99 SR?  AMD 390x 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
AMD 390x 128 GB ECC DDR4  1TB PCI-e SSD Custom WC Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Linux 16:10 Samsung PLS 4K monitor Corsair RGB keyboard with custom cherry MX supe... EVGA 1600 watt titanium  
CaseMouseAudio
Caselabs Magnum STH10 DIY my own mouse Snell J 3 
  hide details  
Reply
Yin&Yang
(19 items)
 
Soon
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4820K Gigabyte X79 UP4 GTX 660 (waiting for new AMD cards) Samsung green  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Adata SP900  Seagate 2TB hard drive (the power of 1 edition)  Custom WC Loop Linux (various versions) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster T240HD Coolermaster XT Green switches XFX 1000w Corsair 800D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Naga Epic 2014 edition Razer Vespula Stax Lambda Nova Classic Custom DIY DAC 
AudioAudioOther
300b PP monoblocks Snell J3 NZXT Hue 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz 8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz EVGA X99 SR?  AMD 390x 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
AMD 390x 128 GB ECC DDR4  1TB PCI-e SSD Custom WC Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Linux 16:10 Samsung PLS 4K monitor Corsair RGB keyboard with custom cherry MX supe... EVGA 1600 watt titanium  
CaseMouseAudio
Caselabs Magnum STH10 DIY my own mouse Snell J 3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel View Post

I can almost promise you its the mobo.

Those cheap gigabyte boards are possessed by the devil. I had a similar model on x79 and it was an absolute nightmare. I talked to the people at microcenter and they said they get returned all the time.

I would go back and return the gigabyte board for the MSI x99 SLI plus which is a really solid mobo. http://www.microcenter.com/product/446613/X99S_SLI_Plus_LGA_2011-3_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

Also....how much of this PC is new? I get a really bad feeling you were led around the shop by an idiot.

If that is true, then that's what I get for trying something new for a change. I always go with MSI boards. Love them. They worked great for me and OC really well. My MicroCenter doesn't have any 2011 v3 MSI boards frown.gif. Is ASrock or Asus Boards any better? Thats the only others that they have. I know one of my friends hates Asus boards, cuz he RMAed one board 3 times. My work PC just crapped out today. So don't really wanna wait around for shipping, need this rig to be ready pretty soon. Unless I can Amazon Prime that MSI board you mentioned.

All of the parts that I got from microcenter are new, well everything besides the mobo was wrapped in that clear plastic. Don't think I ever saw a mobo wrapped in that thought. Inside the mobo box everything looked legit as it was packed in the factory with stickers and everything.
When I go to microcenter I know exactly what I want, I check the website before hand (it's a 40 minute drive after all, but their CPU and Mobo deals can't be beat). So when I'm there I tell them I need this and so on.
post #4 of 17
Normally I would say the asus boards are better, but considering I am fighting asus with an RMA right now because their USB controller on the mobo is broken...........mmmmm yeah I would say to go try and get the MSI board from amazon.


Get the mobo, test it out. If everything runs fine, great. But I also have a feeling the ram is also probably bad. EVERY single time I buy ram from microcenter, there is something wrong with it.
Yin&Yang
(19 items)
 
Soon
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4820K Gigabyte X79 UP4 GTX 660 (waiting for new AMD cards) Samsung green  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Adata SP900  Seagate 2TB hard drive (the power of 1 edition)  Custom WC Loop Linux (various versions) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster T240HD Coolermaster XT Green switches XFX 1000w Corsair 800D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Naga Epic 2014 edition Razer Vespula Stax Lambda Nova Classic Custom DIY DAC 
AudioAudioOther
300b PP monoblocks Snell J3 NZXT Hue 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz 8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz EVGA X99 SR?  AMD 390x 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
AMD 390x 128 GB ECC DDR4  1TB PCI-e SSD Custom WC Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Linux 16:10 Samsung PLS 4K monitor Corsair RGB keyboard with custom cherry MX supe... EVGA 1600 watt titanium  
CaseMouseAudio
Caselabs Magnum STH10 DIY my own mouse Snell J 3 
  hide details  
Reply
Yin&Yang
(19 items)
 
Soon
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4820K Gigabyte X79 UP4 GTX 660 (waiting for new AMD cards) Samsung green  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Adata SP900  Seagate 2TB hard drive (the power of 1 edition)  Custom WC Loop Linux (various versions) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster T240HD Coolermaster XT Green switches XFX 1000w Corsair 800D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Naga Epic 2014 edition Razer Vespula Stax Lambda Nova Classic Custom DIY DAC 
AudioAudioOther
300b PP monoblocks Snell J3 NZXT Hue 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz 8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz EVGA X99 SR?  AMD 390x 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
AMD 390x 128 GB ECC DDR4  1TB PCI-e SSD Custom WC Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Linux 16:10 Samsung PLS 4K monitor Corsair RGB keyboard with custom cherry MX supe... EVGA 1600 watt titanium  
CaseMouseAudio
Caselabs Magnum STH10 DIY my own mouse Snell J 3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel View Post

Normally I would say the asus boards are better, but considering I am fighting asus with an RMA right now because their USB controller on the mobo is broken...........mmmmm yeah I would say to go try and get the MSI board from amazon.


Get the mobo, test it out. If everything runs fine, great. But I also have a feeling the ram is also probably bad. EVERY single time I buy ram from microcenter, there is something wrong with it.

I think I might just replace the mobo and ram. I didn't get the ram I wanted just so I can parts faster. I always go with G.Skill, love their RAM.
My work PC hard drive starting acting up so I figure its time for a full upgrade and wanted to get things rolling pretty quick. I guess that's the moral of the story....

Damn all the Asus board MicroCenter has are over $300. not doing gaming on this rig MC -.-.

So I poped the CMOS back in, and on the first load things didn't feel good from the start. Had to restart PC, then an hour later same issue as before.... So I restarted again to see how it goes under a stress test. Which apparently led into a a blue screen lol.... Recovered a INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR 0xa0 error. No idea how hibernation turned itself back on. I disable that thing instantly, never can get it to work properly. Oh how I wish we were back in the days where technology was pretty much indestructible and now full of defects and bugs frown.gif.
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjBodya View Post

I think I might just replace the mobo and ram. I didn't get the ram I wanted just so I can parts faster. I always go with G.Skill, love their RAM.
My work PC hard drive starting acting up so I figure its time for a full upgrade and wanted to get things rolling pretty quick. I guess that's the moral of the story....

Damn all the Asus board MicroCenter has are over $300. not doing gaming on this rig MC -.-.

So I poped the CMOS back in, and on the first load things didn't feel good from the start. Had to restart PC, then an hour later same issue as before.... So I restarted again to see how it goes under a stress test. Which apparently led into a a blue screen lol.... Recovered a INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR 0xa0 error. No idea how hibernation turned itself back on. I disable that thing instantly, never can get it to work properly. Oh how I wish we were back in the days where technology was pretty much indestructible and now full of defects and bugs frown.gif.

Good call on both regards.

Gskill has some really impressive ram kits, but you can only get them through newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232213

for an extra 25 bucks more, you can get an extra 200 mhz. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232229

so for 40 bucks more than what you spent, you could have 50% speed bump with lower timings.
Yin&Yang
(19 items)
 
Soon
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4820K Gigabyte X79 UP4 GTX 660 (waiting for new AMD cards) Samsung green  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Adata SP900  Seagate 2TB hard drive (the power of 1 edition)  Custom WC Loop Linux (various versions) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster T240HD Coolermaster XT Green switches XFX 1000w Corsair 800D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Naga Epic 2014 edition Razer Vespula Stax Lambda Nova Classic Custom DIY DAC 
AudioAudioOther
300b PP monoblocks Snell J3 NZXT Hue 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz 8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz EVGA X99 SR?  AMD 390x 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
AMD 390x 128 GB ECC DDR4  1TB PCI-e SSD Custom WC Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Linux 16:10 Samsung PLS 4K monitor Corsair RGB keyboard with custom cherry MX supe... EVGA 1600 watt titanium  
CaseMouseAudio
Caselabs Magnum STH10 DIY my own mouse Snell J 3 
  hide details  
Reply
Yin&Yang
(19 items)
 
Soon
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4820K Gigabyte X79 UP4 GTX 660 (waiting for new AMD cards) Samsung green  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Adata SP900  Seagate 2TB hard drive (the power of 1 edition)  Custom WC Loop Linux (various versions) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster T240HD Coolermaster XT Green switches XFX 1000w Corsair 800D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Naga Epic 2014 edition Razer Vespula Stax Lambda Nova Classic Custom DIY DAC 
AudioAudioOther
300b PP monoblocks Snell J3 NZXT Hue 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz 8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz EVGA X99 SR?  AMD 390x 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
AMD 390x 128 GB ECC DDR4  1TB PCI-e SSD Custom WC Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Linux 16:10 Samsung PLS 4K monitor Corsair RGB keyboard with custom cherry MX supe... EVGA 1600 watt titanium  
CaseMouseAudio
Caselabs Magnum STH10 DIY my own mouse Snell J 3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel View Post

Good call on both regards.

Gskill has some really impressive ram kits, but you can only get them through newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232213

for an extra 25 bucks more, you can get an extra 200 mhz. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232229

so for 40 bucks more than what you spent, you could have 50% speed bump with lower timings.

Yup that is one of the reason I love G.Skill real good ram for a very very good price tag.

I've recently used a set of these
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231929&cm_re=g.skill_tridentz-_-20-231-929-_-Product
on a different rig with a 6700k. Still dont know what is the difference between the two besides looks, since then have the exact same Ram in both lines.
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjBodya View Post

Yup that is one of the reason I love G.Skill real good ram for a very very good price tag.

I've recently used a set of these
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231929&cm_re=g.skill_tridentz-_-20-231-929-_-Product
on a different rig with a 6700k. Still dont know what is the difference between the two besides looks, since then have the exact same Ram in both lines.

Time and binning.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232205

As time goes on the manufacturing process of the nand chips gets refined, so the quality and the yeild of chips are higher which results in better speed.

They could of just switched chip manufacturers.
Yin&Yang
(19 items)
 
Soon
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4820K Gigabyte X79 UP4 GTX 660 (waiting for new AMD cards) Samsung green  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Adata SP900  Seagate 2TB hard drive (the power of 1 edition)  Custom WC Loop Linux (various versions) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster T240HD Coolermaster XT Green switches XFX 1000w Corsair 800D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Naga Epic 2014 edition Razer Vespula Stax Lambda Nova Classic Custom DIY DAC 
AudioAudioOther
300b PP monoblocks Snell J3 NZXT Hue 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz 8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz EVGA X99 SR?  AMD 390x 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
AMD 390x 128 GB ECC DDR4  1TB PCI-e SSD Custom WC Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Linux 16:10 Samsung PLS 4K monitor Corsair RGB keyboard with custom cherry MX supe... EVGA 1600 watt titanium  
CaseMouseAudio
Caselabs Magnum STH10 DIY my own mouse Snell J 3 
  hide details  
Reply
Yin&Yang
(19 items)
 
Soon
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4820K Gigabyte X79 UP4 GTX 660 (waiting for new AMD cards) Samsung green  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Adata SP900  Seagate 2TB hard drive (the power of 1 edition)  Custom WC Loop Linux (various versions) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster T240HD Coolermaster XT Green switches XFX 1000w Corsair 800D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Naga Epic 2014 edition Razer Vespula Stax Lambda Nova Classic Custom DIY DAC 
AudioAudioOther
300b PP monoblocks Snell J3 NZXT Hue 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz 8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz EVGA X99 SR?  AMD 390x 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
AMD 390x 128 GB ECC DDR4  1TB PCI-e SSD Custom WC Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Linux 16:10 Samsung PLS 4K monitor Corsair RGB keyboard with custom cherry MX supe... EVGA 1600 watt titanium  
CaseMouseAudio
Caselabs Magnum STH10 DIY my own mouse Snell J 3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel View Post

Time and binning.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232205

As time goes on the manufacturing process of the nand chips gets refined, so the quality and the yeild of chips are higher which results in better speed.

They could of just switched chip manufacturers.
The different timings I get. What I dont get is when the timings are same
as for this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232217&cm_re=G.SKILL_Ripjaws_V_Series_16GB-_-20-232-217-_-Product
compare to the TridentZ you posted.
post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 
Just got the X99A SLI PLUS from Amazon, Yay for Prime

Won't be able to get the Ram from Newegg till Monday thought.
Got myself this kit of ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231913
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › New Build Issue with PC bugging out after an hour