Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Techspot] HP to put FreeSync in all their AMD-based laptops
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Techspot] HP to put FreeSync in all their AMD-based laptops

post #1 of 49
Thread Starter 
http://www.techspot.com/news/63782-hp-put-freesync-all-their-amd-based-laptops.html
Quote:
The only laptop that's confirmed to get FreeSync at this stage is the HP Envy 15z, which will be updated in the first half of 2016 with new AMD 6th-generation 'Carrizo' APUs and support for variable refresh through the display itself as well as over HDMI. Other specifications for this laptop haven't be announced, but the previous models have retailed for around the $500 mark.


Very freaking cool. That is all.
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-7820HK Kaby Lake @ 4.2Ghz GTX 1070 @ 2Ghz boost @ 9008Mhz Vram 16GB 2x8 DDR4 2133 Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
5TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM Grizzly Conductonaut on GPU and CPU Win 8.1 WSUS ;) 17.3" 1080p IPS oc'd 100hz GSYNC 
MouseAudioAudio
Naga 2014 + G303 Monolith M560 with XBR 500 earpads Schiit Fulla 1 AMP/DAC over Type C 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-7820HK Kaby Lake @ 4.2Ghz GTX 1070 @ 2Ghz boost @ 9008Mhz Vram 16GB 2x8 DDR4 2133 Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
5TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM Grizzly Conductonaut on GPU and CPU Win 8.1 WSUS ;) 17.3" 1080p IPS oc'd 100hz GSYNC 
MouseAudioAudio
Naga 2014 + G303 Monolith M560 with XBR 500 earpads Schiit Fulla 1 AMP/DAC over Type C 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 49
FreeSync on Nintendo NX confirmed!

biggrin.gif

Seriously though, VRR on a lower tier Notebook could be an awesome thing. People wanting that "gaming" notebook, with an enjoyable experience, but can't afford a $1400 Sager with it, could really benefit from this move.

VRR is a huge deal, huge.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 49
I suppose that this is a step in the right direction, but are we going to see any 21:9 monitors with FreeSync any time soon? Everyone I see is sponsored by Nvidia these days.
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 49
That's a pretty sweet development, let's just hope they don't gimp the hell out of the product and make the Freesync addition superfluous.
Lil' Roy Taylor
(11 items)
 
  
Reply
Lil' Roy Taylor
(11 items)
 
  
Reply
post #5 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

FreeSync on Nintendo NX confirmed!

biggrin.gif

Seriously though, VRR on a lower tier Notebook could be an awesome thing. People wanting that "gaming" notebook, with an enjoyable experience, but can't afford a $1400 Sager with it, could really benefit from this move.

VRR is a huge deal, huge.

Honestly, this by itself is a huge deal imo, Freesync/Gsync changes the entire experience of gaming, it really helps the immersion. Low end hardware and with Directx 12 games coming, this is very huge indeed. So glad to see HP step up to the plate, no one else has yet. I find their prices to be modest as well, maybe a 7th generation AMD FX laptop for $699 this time next year, with Freesync and Directx 12 games, can probably match a high end desktop in terms of immersion/lowering settings some, and that includes the Pixels Per INch of us 1440p owners, as these 1080p laptops actually are nicer rez than 1440p due to the PPI calculation.
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-7820HK Kaby Lake @ 4.2Ghz GTX 1070 @ 2Ghz boost @ 9008Mhz Vram 16GB 2x8 DDR4 2133 Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
5TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM Grizzly Conductonaut on GPU and CPU Win 8.1 WSUS ;) 17.3" 1080p IPS oc'd 100hz GSYNC 
MouseAudioAudio
Naga 2014 + G303 Monolith M560 with XBR 500 earpads Schiit Fulla 1 AMP/DAC over Type C 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-7820HK Kaby Lake @ 4.2Ghz GTX 1070 @ 2Ghz boost @ 9008Mhz Vram 16GB 2x8 DDR4 2133 Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
5TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM Grizzly Conductonaut on GPU and CPU Win 8.1 WSUS ;) 17.3" 1080p IPS oc'd 100hz GSYNC 
MouseAudioAudio
Naga 2014 + G303 Monolith M560 with XBR 500 earpads Schiit Fulla 1 AMP/DAC over Type C 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by caenlen View Post

Honestly, this by itself is a huge deal imo, Freesync/Gsync changes the entire experience of gaming, it really helps the immersion. Low end hardware and with Directx 12 games coming, this is very huge indeed. So glad to see HP step up to the plate, no one else has yet. I find their prices to be modest as well, maybe a 7th generation AMD FX laptop for $699 this time next year, with Freesync and Directx 12 games, can probably match a high end desktop in terms of immersion/lowering settings some, and that includes the Pixels Per INch of us 1440p owners, as these 1080p laptops actually are nicer rez than 1440p due to the PPI calculation.

Currently on an Acer Predator, and G-Sync is amazing, I can't say enough about how amazing VRR is to the gaming experience. What stood out to myself in the announcement is the part of FreeSync over HDMI. While it was announced in the past that it was being worked on, HP is the first company I can recall actually announcing a product that will take advantage of it.

So, if it works well, it opens up hope that the HDMI port on the back of the next consoles could easily support FreeSync. That would change up the console game, and I am just looking at it from hooking a console to a PC display. It would be silly to think of the TV manufacturers getting behind it.

EDIT:

My comments tying console to this are just from the idea of pushing mass adoption of a product, and the fact that if another manufacturer successfully launched FS over HDMI, others would be likely to follow.

Also, went over to HP's website and configured their 15z a little. Assuming they don't charge more for FreeSync, a person should be able to get a decent gaming laptop for around $650 or so. Depending on APU options.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

Currently on an Acer Predator, and G-Sync is amazing, I can't say enough about how amazing VRR is to the gaming experience. What stood out to myself in the announcement is the part of FreeSync over HDMI. While it was announced in the past that it was being worked on, HP is the first company I can recall actually announcing a product that will take advantage of it.

So, if it works well, it opens up hope that the HDMI port on the back of the next consoles could easily support FreeSync. That would change up the console game, and I am just looking at it from hooking a console to a PC display. It would be silly to think of the TV manufacturers getting behind it.

EDIT:

My comments tying console to this are just from the idea of pushing mass adoption of a product, and the fact that if another manufacturer successfully launched FS over HDMI, others would be likely to follow.

Also, went over to HP's website and configured their 15z a little. Assuming they don't charge more for FreeSync, a person should be able to get a decent gaming laptop for around $650 or so. Depending on APU options.

That is great idea, I hope that does happen for future consoles. ^^
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-7820HK Kaby Lake @ 4.2Ghz GTX 1070 @ 2Ghz boost @ 9008Mhz Vram 16GB 2x8 DDR4 2133 Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
5TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM Grizzly Conductonaut on GPU and CPU Win 8.1 WSUS ;) 17.3" 1080p IPS oc'd 100hz GSYNC 
MouseAudioAudio
Naga 2014 + G303 Monolith M560 with XBR 500 earpads Schiit Fulla 1 AMP/DAC over Type C 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-7820HK Kaby Lake @ 4.2Ghz GTX 1070 @ 2Ghz boost @ 9008Mhz Vram 16GB 2x8 DDR4 2133 Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
5TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM Grizzly Conductonaut on GPU and CPU Win 8.1 WSUS ;) 17.3" 1080p IPS oc'd 100hz GSYNC 
MouseAudioAudio
Naga 2014 + G303 Monolith M560 with XBR 500 earpads Schiit Fulla 1 AMP/DAC over Type C 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 49

This will make no difference, they'll still intentionally cripple AMD products and price them equally to better performing Intel parts just to entice people to buy Intel.

 

To hell with HP and the rest of them.

The girlfriend.
(15 items)
 
The Mistress
(13 items)
 
Media Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8320 @ 4.5 Crosshair V (Third One) 290 Tri-X OC 16GB HyperX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB Toshiba 3TB Hitachi 2TB Swiftech H220-X 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 8.1/Mint Viewsonic VX2457-mhd Fuhlen L411 Slim Super Flower Golden King 650W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Enthoo Pro G400 Super Flower 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-6410 Lenovo Lancer 4B2 K16.3 R5 128 Shaders/M230 Hynix 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400rmp Win 8.1 CMN1487 TN LED 14" 1366*768 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Lenovo AccuType 2900mAh/41Wh Elan Trackpad/Logitech M90 Super Flower 
Audio
AMD Avalon(Connexant) 
  hide details  
Reply
The girlfriend.
(15 items)
 
The Mistress
(13 items)
 
Media Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8320 @ 4.5 Crosshair V (Third One) 290 Tri-X OC 16GB HyperX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB Toshiba 3TB Hitachi 2TB Swiftech H220-X 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 8.1/Mint Viewsonic VX2457-mhd Fuhlen L411 Slim Super Flower Golden King 650W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Enthoo Pro G400 Super Flower 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-6410 Lenovo Lancer 4B2 K16.3 R5 128 Shaders/M230 Hynix 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400rmp Win 8.1 CMN1487 TN LED 14" 1366*768 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Lenovo AccuType 2900mAh/41Wh Elan Trackpad/Logitech M90 Super Flower 
Audio
AMD Avalon(Connexant) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 49
This is the direction I was advocating Nvidia should take next a year after refining Gsync. They really botched this idea by limiting it to high end pricey laptops.


AMD are on the right track here as long as this implementation of Freesync makes movie watching better than normal. If they can pull that off then the smoothing perks of variable refresh rate will be known to more than people who love to play games.
post #10 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantmagnet View Post

This is the direction I was advocating Nvidia should take next a year after refining Gsync. They really botched this idea by limiting it to high end pricey laptops.
Dat gsync module.
Lil' Roy Taylor
(11 items)
 
  
Reply
Lil' Roy Taylor
(11 items)
 
  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Techspot] HP to put FreeSync in all their AMD-based laptops