Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Xeon Hacking and Overclocking X79/X99 [Beyond X58]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Xeon Hacking and Overclocking X79/X99 [Beyond X58] - Page 35

post #341 of 1531
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyNightOwl View Post

In general, yes, a possible lack of IPC is my main concern. You see, I've calculated the following (best case scenario, a 2690 v2):

3.2 * 1.3 * 1.05 = 4.36, which is above my X5650's 4GHz. The numbers are base clock, Westmere to Ivy IPC, and FSB overclock respectively. Is that a valid calculation in your opinion?

Also, does it make sense to go for an Ivy six-core over a Sandy six-core, and if yes, why?

No, that isn't valid. Ivy is not even close to 30% faster clock to clock compared to Westmere, more like 15% or so. Haswell is about 25% faster clock to clock.

One reason to go to Ivy is the increased IPC, about 5% faster than Sandy. I don't think ES chips are worth the potential issues though.

There are other things to consider like memory speed that could change things, but this is fairly close:

Westmere at 4.8ghz =

Sandy-E at 4.4ghz
Ivy-E at 4.2ghz
Haswell-E at 3.8ghz

I'd say just stick with the 3930k and grab a good board for under $200.
Main
(15 items)
 
Server
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E5-1660 @ 4.6ghz 1.275v Asus x79 Deluxe Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce 32gb Patriot Viper III @ 2400 11-12-11-24 1t 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
4x4tb, 2x5tb, 2x8tb 7200rpm 850+840 Evo 500gb, BX100 500gb, 960 Evo 500gb Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorPower
2x Lenovo L220x, Hisense h8c 55" Corsair RM850i 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2x Xeon x5670 ASUS Z8NA-D6C Windforce 7950 48gb NANYA DDR3 1333mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
2x Toshiba 2tb 7200rpm Raid 1 2x Raijintek Aidos 750w ToughPower Gold DIYPC D480-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
Main
(15 items)
 
Server
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E5-1660 @ 4.6ghz 1.275v Asus x79 Deluxe Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce 32gb Patriot Viper III @ 2400 11-12-11-24 1t 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
4x4tb, 2x5tb, 2x8tb 7200rpm 850+840 Evo 500gb, BX100 500gb, 960 Evo 500gb Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorPower
2x Lenovo L220x, Hisense h8c 55" Corsair RM850i 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2x Xeon x5670 ASUS Z8NA-D6C Windforce 7950 48gb NANYA DDR3 1333mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
2x Toshiba 2tb 7200rpm Raid 1 2x Raijintek Aidos 750w ToughPower Gold DIYPC D480-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
post #342 of 1531
What would you say about this article:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9482/intel-broadwell-pt2-overclocking-ipc/3

where they find substantial IPC gains going from Haswell to Ivy/Sandy and then even more from Broadwell to Haswell?

Also, are the 2687W ES unlocked? The retail ones? See this one e.g.:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-E5-2687W-QB7R-ES-8C-16HT-3-1Ghz-3-8Ghz-Turbo-20M-L3-LGA2011-TDP-155W-/272271942012?hash=item3f64ac217c:g:vKYAAOSwp5JWYWTZ

Not that I'm going to get that, but it looks like a decent deal to me. E.g. for a friend who's on budget and does no gaming, only programming and graphics, I think it would be a godsend (save the usual find-a-board hassle).
post #343 of 1531
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyNightOwl View Post

What would you say about this article:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9482/intel-broadwell-pt2-overclocking-ipc/3

where they find substantial IPC gains going from Haswell to Ivy/Sandy and then even more from Broadwell to Haswell?

Also, are the 2687W ES unlocked? The retail ones? See this one e.g.:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-E5-2687W-QB7R-ES-8C-16HT-3-1Ghz-3-8Ghz-Turbo-20M-L3-LGA2011-TDP-155W-/272271942012?hash=item3f64ac217c:g:vKYAAOSwp5JWYWTZ

Not that I'm going to get that, but it looks like a decent deal to me. E.g. for a friend who's on budget and does no gaming, only programming and graphics, I think it would be a godsend (save the usual find-a-board hassle).

That sounds about right. On average, the IPC gain from Sandy to Haswell is about 15%. The gain from Westmere to Sandy is about 10%. There you have 25% from Westmere to Haswell. Some of the benchmarks might skew the results a bit like Dolphin which takes advantage of some of the newer instructions I believe. Cinebench would probably be a more realistic best case improvement.

No e5-2xxx or Dual QPI Xeon is unlocked as far as I know, ES or otherwise.

If you want to go with more cores and don't want to overclock I'd recommend getting a dual socket board instead and put whatever chips you want in there.
Main
(15 items)
 
Server
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E5-1660 @ 4.6ghz 1.275v Asus x79 Deluxe Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce 32gb Patriot Viper III @ 2400 11-12-11-24 1t 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
4x4tb, 2x5tb, 2x8tb 7200rpm 850+840 Evo 500gb, BX100 500gb, 960 Evo 500gb Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorPower
2x Lenovo L220x, Hisense h8c 55" Corsair RM850i 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2x Xeon x5670 ASUS Z8NA-D6C Windforce 7950 48gb NANYA DDR3 1333mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
2x Toshiba 2tb 7200rpm Raid 1 2x Raijintek Aidos 750w ToughPower Gold DIYPC D480-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
Main
(15 items)
 
Server
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E5-1660 @ 4.6ghz 1.275v Asus x79 Deluxe Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce 32gb Patriot Viper III @ 2400 11-12-11-24 1t 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
4x4tb, 2x5tb, 2x8tb 7200rpm 850+840 Evo 500gb, BX100 500gb, 960 Evo 500gb Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorPower
2x Lenovo L220x, Hisense h8c 55" Corsair RM850i 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2x Xeon x5670 ASUS Z8NA-D6C Windforce 7950 48gb NANYA DDR3 1333mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
2x Toshiba 2tb 7200rpm Raid 1 2x Raijintek Aidos 750w ToughPower Gold DIYPC D480-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
post #344 of 1531
Why, I'm all for overclocking, I've had and still am having a lot of fun with the X5650 here! I'm researching the options for shifting the balance to a tad more cores without sacrificing raw clock speed, so to say. I know that the 3930K may go as high as 4.6 or even 4.8 if i'm lucky, and give it good cooling, and will do that as soon as a board pops up. But, on the other hand, I'm also thinking "what next?", after these 6-core Sandy/Ivy get old and the board remains, what cna I put into it? For this reason I'm also considering X99 and Haswell/Broadwell Xeons.
post #345 of 1531
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyNightOwl View Post

Why, I'm all for overclocking, I've had and still am having a lot of fun with the X5650 here! I'm researching the options for shifting the balance to a tad more cores without sacrificing raw clock speed, so to say. I know that the 3930K may go as high as 4.6 or even 4.8 if i'm lucky, and give it good cooling, and will do that as soon as a board pops up. But, on the other hand, I'm also thinking "what next?", after these 6-core Sandy/Ivy get old and the board remains, what cna I put into it? For this reason I'm also considering X99 and Haswell/Broadwell Xeons.

Possibly the unlocked E5-1680v2. But yeah, x99 would give more options like the 6950x.
Main
(15 items)
 
Server
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E5-1660 @ 4.6ghz 1.275v Asus x79 Deluxe Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce 32gb Patriot Viper III @ 2400 11-12-11-24 1t 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
4x4tb, 2x5tb, 2x8tb 7200rpm 850+840 Evo 500gb, BX100 500gb, 960 Evo 500gb Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorPower
2x Lenovo L220x, Hisense h8c 55" Corsair RM850i 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2x Xeon x5670 ASUS Z8NA-D6C Windforce 7950 48gb NANYA DDR3 1333mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
2x Toshiba 2tb 7200rpm Raid 1 2x Raijintek Aidos 750w ToughPower Gold DIYPC D480-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
Main
(15 items)
 
Server
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E5-1660 @ 4.6ghz 1.275v Asus x79 Deluxe Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce 32gb Patriot Viper III @ 2400 11-12-11-24 1t 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
4x4tb, 2x5tb, 2x8tb 7200rpm 850+840 Evo 500gb, BX100 500gb, 960 Evo 500gb Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorPower
2x Lenovo L220x, Hisense h8c 55" Corsair RM850i 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2x Xeon x5670 ASUS Z8NA-D6C Windforce 7950 48gb NANYA DDR3 1333mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
2x Toshiba 2tb 7200rpm Raid 1 2x Raijintek Aidos 750w ToughPower Gold DIYPC D480-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
post #346 of 1531
As far as I know the E5-2670 surge came from Facebook server upgrade....
What do you guys think? What processors the Facebook severs upgraded most into?
post #347 of 1531
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohiuddin View Post

As far as I know the E5-2670 surge came from Facebook server upgrade....
What do you guys think? What processors the Facebook severs upgraded most into?


I remember reading when the whole meltdown of sandy 2670's into the market was happening, that insiders were saying that they just did a straight move from Sandy 2670 8 core 16 thread chips to the Haswell-E E5 2670 V3 12 cores 24 threads chips. A fairly decent upgrade i'd say, although you wouldn't know it from some of the problems FB has been having lately lol.

http://ark.intel.com/products/81709/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2670-v3-30M-Cache-2_30-GHz
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5960X ASUS Rampage V Extreme MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666mhz DDR4 C15 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
PNY CS2211 MLC SATA III SSD WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm Writemaster DVD/CD +/- RW EK Supremacy EVO 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Mayhem's Pastel Ice White Coolant Coollaboratory Liquid Copper TIM XSPC EX480mm Radiator Black Ice GTX 360mm Radiator 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK XTC 420mm Radiator Swiftech MCP655-B 12v Pump EK RES X3 250 Reservoir Bitspower/EK 3/8" x 1/2" Compression fitting 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q 27" 1440p 144hz G-Sync ASUS VG23AH 23.5" Passive 3d 1080p 60hz  Razer Blackwidow Chroma Tournament Edition 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA Supernova G2 1000 Caselabs SMA8 -XXL Window, Ventilated sides/t... Razer Ouroboros Norman Rockwell collection series print Mousepad 
AudioAudio
Sennheiser HD700 300ohm Open Back Headphones SupremeFX Hi-Fi 5.25" Bay AMP/DAC  
  hide details  
Reply
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5960X ASUS Rampage V Extreme MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666mhz DDR4 C15 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
PNY CS2211 MLC SATA III SSD WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm Writemaster DVD/CD +/- RW EK Supremacy EVO 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Mayhem's Pastel Ice White Coolant Coollaboratory Liquid Copper TIM XSPC EX480mm Radiator Black Ice GTX 360mm Radiator 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK XTC 420mm Radiator Swiftech MCP655-B 12v Pump EK RES X3 250 Reservoir Bitspower/EK 3/8" x 1/2" Compression fitting 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q 27" 1440p 144hz G-Sync ASUS VG23AH 23.5" Passive 3d 1080p 60hz  Razer Blackwidow Chroma Tournament Edition 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA Supernova G2 1000 Caselabs SMA8 -XXL Window, Ventilated sides/t... Razer Ouroboros Norman Rockwell collection series print Mousepad 
AudioAudio
Sennheiser HD700 300ohm Open Back Headphones SupremeFX Hi-Fi 5.25" Bay AMP/DAC  
  hide details  
Reply
post #348 of 1531
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkIdeals View Post

I remember reading when the whole meltdown of sandy 2670's into the market was happening, that insiders were saying that they just did a straight move from Sandy 2670 8 core 16 thread chips to the Haswell-E E5 2670 V3 12 cores 24 threads chips. A fairly decent upgrade i'd say, although you wouldn't know it from some of the problems FB has been having lately lol.

http://ark.intel.com/products/81709/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2670-v3-30M-Cache-2_30-GHz
Sad that it is x99 based. I hope v2 xeons get a price cut. Best e5 2690v2.. Just think of it @sub 100usd.... tongue.gif
post #349 of 1531
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohiuddin View Post

Sad that it is x99 based. I hope v2 xeons get a price cut. Best e5 2690v2.. Just think of it @sub 100usd.... tongue.gif

I agree that the best V2 Xeon is the E5-2690 v2 which can be had for $299. I doubt they will get much lower than that in price though... I think if anybody is in need of an X79 CPU they should definitely be looking at the 2690 v2 as their first choice.

But the best V3 and V4 Xeons on X99 are a complete toss up. I am sort of leaning the E5-2687W v3, but that one can only be had for around $880 which makes it completely not worth it compared to the earlier X79 E5-2690 v2. Then you have the v4 CPUs which are even worse because there are barely any good ones on the market selling for less than retail price. I would lean towards the E5-2687W v4 as well probably.

- Insan1tyOne headscratch.gif
MiniNova
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E5 2637 V3 Asrock X99E-ITX/ac Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! 16GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline @ 2133mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo M.2 250GB WD Caviar Black 2TB Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Education Edition 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 34UM95-P ErgoDox EZ EVGA G1 1000W Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries Sensei Steelseries 4HD Beyerdynamic T5p Headphones Schiit Mjolnir 2 Amp / Gungnir USB Gen. 2 DAC 
  hide details  
Reply
MiniNova
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E5 2637 V3 Asrock X99E-ITX/ac Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! 16GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline @ 2133mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo M.2 250GB WD Caviar Black 2TB Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Education Edition 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 34UM95-P ErgoDox EZ EVGA G1 1000W Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries Sensei Steelseries 4HD Beyerdynamic T5p Headphones Schiit Mjolnir 2 Amp / Gungnir USB Gen. 2 DAC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #350 of 1531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insan1tyOne View Post

I agree that the best V2 Xeon is the E5-2690 v2 which can be had for $299. I doubt they will get much lower than that in price though... I think if anybody is in need of an X79 CPU they should definitely be looking at the 2690 v2 as their first choice.

But the best V3 and V4 Xeons on X99 are a complete toss up. I am sort of leaning the E5-2687W v3, but that one can only be had for around $880 which makes it completely not worth it compared to the earlier X79 E5-2690 v2. Then you have the v4 CPUs which are even worse because there are barely any good ones on the market selling for less than retail price. I would lean towards the E5-2687W v4 as well probably.

- Insan1tyOne headscratch.gif


The E5 2683 V3 is also a good deal. 14 Cores 28 Threads @ 2ghz base and 3ghz boost and sells used for ~$300 (seen them for $260) If you value clock speed the 2687W is indeed a trooper at 3.5ghz boost, but "only" 10 cores 20 threads of course.
Edited by DarkIdeals - 6/26/16 at 2:53pm
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5960X ASUS Rampage V Extreme MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666mhz DDR4 C15 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
PNY CS2211 MLC SATA III SSD WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm Writemaster DVD/CD +/- RW EK Supremacy EVO 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Mayhem's Pastel Ice White Coolant Coollaboratory Liquid Copper TIM XSPC EX480mm Radiator Black Ice GTX 360mm Radiator 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK XTC 420mm Radiator Swiftech MCP655-B 12v Pump EK RES X3 250 Reservoir Bitspower/EK 3/8" x 1/2" Compression fitting 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q 27" 1440p 144hz G-Sync ASUS VG23AH 23.5" Passive 3d 1080p 60hz  Razer Blackwidow Chroma Tournament Edition 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA Supernova G2 1000 Caselabs SMA8 -XXL Window, Ventilated sides/t... Razer Ouroboros Norman Rockwell collection series print Mousepad 
AudioAudio
Sennheiser HD700 300ohm Open Back Headphones SupremeFX Hi-Fi 5.25" Bay AMP/DAC  
  hide details  
Reply
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5960X ASUS Rampage V Extreme MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666mhz DDR4 C15 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
PNY CS2211 MLC SATA III SSD WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm Writemaster DVD/CD +/- RW EK Supremacy EVO 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Mayhem's Pastel Ice White Coolant Coollaboratory Liquid Copper TIM XSPC EX480mm Radiator Black Ice GTX 360mm Radiator 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK XTC 420mm Radiator Swiftech MCP655-B 12v Pump EK RES X3 250 Reservoir Bitspower/EK 3/8" x 1/2" Compression fitting 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q 27" 1440p 144hz G-Sync ASUS VG23AH 23.5" Passive 3d 1080p 60hz  Razer Blackwidow Chroma Tournament Edition 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA Supernova G2 1000 Caselabs SMA8 -XXL Window, Ventilated sides/t... Razer Ouroboros Norman Rockwell collection series print Mousepad 
AudioAudio
Sennheiser HD700 300ohm Open Back Headphones SupremeFX Hi-Fi 5.25" Bay AMP/DAC  
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Xeon Hacking and Overclocking X79/X99 [Beyond X58]