Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › Ram Upgrade Problem
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ram Upgrade Problem

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Hi,
so I upgraded ram because my previous ram was broken,
System
CPUIntel Xeon E5 1620 @ 3.60GHz Sandy Bridge-EP/EX 32nm Technology
MotherboardDell Inc. 08HPGT (Chipset Model: Sandy Bridge-E) (Southbridge Model: X79)
RAM4x2GB ECC EDIMM, 1333MHz, 8GB (DDR3) (9-9-9-24)
GPUGeForce GTX 980 4gb Windforce OC
Casedell precision t3600
Storage465GB ATA Samsung SSD 850 SCSI + 1863GB ATA ST2000DM001-1CH1 SCSI
PSUdell precision t3600/635w (Dell Dual PSU Design)
Display(s)DELL U2412M
CoolingDell precision T3600 Default Fans
SoundRealtek High Definition Audio
Operating SystemWindows 10 Pro 64Bit
I upgraded to a g.skill trident 2x8gb kit 1600mhz speed.
The problem is that I get way lower specs than the ones paid for. Actually, I get less than 2.5 gb while I have to have 16gb.
Also, the speed is at 1333mhz while it had to be 1600mhz which is available in my pc according to specs sheet.
Also the clocks are at cas9 while the specs should be cas7.
anyway, not many options in the bios but I would like to somehow fix it since I paid so much money for it to be giving me 2.5gb 1333mhz ram instead of 16gb 16mhz.




UPDATE: for some reason in msconfig it was set to 2000mb by itself, so I changed it back and fixed it, but the latency and mhz are still lower than expected.

PS: I cannot change ram settings in bios, they are not there as many people suggest me. No profiles or anything, it is a very simple bios.
Edited by TwinDenis - 2/17/16 at 4:31am
post #2 of 11
We'll have to know:

The exact model of Dell computer you have. The Service tag would be very useful too.
And the exact manufacturer and part number for all the memory you have in the computer.
Which memory slots each memory module is in.
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX6300 Black M5A99X EVO R2.0 Nvidia GTS450 Team Vulcan PC3 12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO Asus DRW-1608P (x2) Custom Water Cooling Win7 (Ult), Win 8.1 & Win Server 2012 R2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 X Samsung 915N Ducky Shine III, Blue Cherry/Blue LEDs PCP&C 1kw Lian Li PC-71 (W/Window) 
MouseAudio
Logiteck G400s none 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX6300 Black M5A99X EVO R2.0 Nvidia GTS450 Team Vulcan PC3 12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO Asus DRW-1608P (x2) Custom Water Cooling Win7 (Ult), Win 8.1 & Win Server 2012 R2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 X Samsung 915N Ducky Shine III, Blue Cherry/Blue LEDs PCP&C 1kw Lian Li PC-71 (W/Window) 
MouseAudio
Logiteck G400s none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

We'll have to know:

The exact model of Dell computer you have. The Service tag would be very useful too.
And the exact manufacturer and part number for all the memory you have in the computer.
Which memory slots each memory module is in.
Ram is a g.skill trident series, 1600mhz cas7, 2x8gb version.
you can see more info here:

( http://postimg.org/image/4l5icn2b5/full/ )

Dell does not allow for service tag share. So I can give you the model name instead ^
post #4 of 11
The whole purpose of service tags is to make the specifications of any Dell computer available to anyone.Dell posts online the service tag of every used and refurbished computer that it sells.Service tags are not proprietary. Anyone that looks at any Dell computer can see the service tag number. If it was secret they wouldn't put it on a sticker on the outside of the computer, would they?

"Ram is a g.skill trident series, 1600mhz cas7, 2x8gb version." isn't enough information. The exact model number is needed. You can read it off of the label on the sticks.

I'm just trying to help you here, not to steal your specs.
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX6300 Black M5A99X EVO R2.0 Nvidia GTS450 Team Vulcan PC3 12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO Asus DRW-1608P (x2) Custom Water Cooling Win7 (Ult), Win 8.1 & Win Server 2012 R2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 X Samsung 915N Ducky Shine III, Blue Cherry/Blue LEDs PCP&C 1kw Lian Li PC-71 (W/Window) 
MouseAudio
Logiteck G400s none 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX6300 Black M5A99X EVO R2.0 Nvidia GTS450 Team Vulcan PC3 12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO Asus DRW-1608P (x2) Custom Water Cooling Win7 (Ult), Win 8.1 & Win Server 2012 R2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 X Samsung 915N Ducky Shine III, Blue Cherry/Blue LEDs PCP&C 1kw Lian Li PC-71 (W/Window) 
MouseAudio
Logiteck G400s none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

The whole purpose of service tags is to make the specifications of any Dell computer available to anyone.Dell posts online the service tag of every used and refurbished computer that it sells.Service tags are not proprietary. Anyone that looks at any Dell computer can see the service tag number. If it was secret they wouldn't put it on a sticker on the outside of the computer, would they?

"Ram is a g.skill trident series, 1600mhz cas7, 2x8gb version." isn't enough information. The exact model number is needed. You can read it off of the label on the sticks.

I'm just trying to help you here, not to steal your specs.
Thanks for trying to help,
okay I will.
post #6 of 11
Well you're trying to use consumer level RAM, which typically needs an XMP profile applied in the BIOS to work at the advertised speeds, along an enterprise motherboard and CPU, which is designed to use ECC memory anyways. The motherboard probably doesnt even support XMP profiles, and you said there is nowhere to put in RAM settings. You are boned.

Only way to fix it is get a better motherboard. Server motherboards are not designed for speed or overclock. They're designed for reliability.

I can't help you in selecting a motherboard.
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssateneth View Post

Well you're trying to use consumer level RAM, which typically needs an XMP profile applied in the BIOS to work at the advertised speeds, along an enterprise motherboard and CPU, which is designed to use ECC memory anyways. The motherboard probably doesnt even support XMP profiles, and you said there is nowhere to put in RAM settings. You are boned.

Only way to fix it is get a better motherboard. Server motherboards are not designed for speed or overclock. They're designed for reliability.

I can't help you in selecting a motherboard.
well if you got the money of course, because it costs 600+ to do the whole thing, essentially buying a new PC.
motherboard, cpu, psu and case.
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Is there a way to make it run XMP on windows besides bios?
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinDenis View Post

Is there a way to make it run XMP on windows besides bios?

The OS does not matter. The basic hardware settings, such as RAM, can only be applied in BIOS. There are -some- software solutions to change a few RAM timings, but they need hardware support from motherboard (the motherboard allows support of this. if you cant already change RAM timings in BIOS, you cant change RAM timings in OS)
post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssateneth View Post

The OS does not matter. The basic hardware settings, such as RAM, can only be applied in BIOS. There are -some- software solutions to change a few RAM timings, but they need hardware support from motherboard (the motherboard allows support of this. if you cant already change RAM timings in BIOS, you cant change RAM timings in OS)
In other words, what is the core cause of this?
Should I buy a new motherboard?
If so which one should I get?
Also is it okay if I leave it as it is or will it cause trouble?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Memory
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › Ram Upgrade Problem