Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › CAMSucks! - An alternative for the CAM software for the NZXT GRID+
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CAMSucks! - An alternative for the CAM software for the NZXT GRID+ - Page 2

post #11 of 24
Thread Starter 
Aw man I didn't notice your replies until now. Sorry guys for not replying. I didn't expect there would be this much interest in my program.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Wrath View Post

I'm working on a project to get my computer's system stats and am currently trying to get temperature information for my CPU and GPU. I'm having trouble figuring out how to use this with my project as I am relatively new to Java. If anyone could give me an example for retrieving GPU and CPU temps, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Edit: I have found a different solution. I am now using a temperature logger to send my computer temperatures to a text file which I can then pull information from.

PS, awesome work on the project biggrin.gif

This is about the same thing that happens in my project. I use java to write and execute a Visual Basic script that retrieves the temperature data from openhardwaremonitor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunqe View Post

Hi Roel, since the CAM software makes my blood pressure meter break I was delighted to find your java project.

However, I don't seem to be able to control the fans. I can monitor them perfectly, all the data seems to be there, but nothing happens when I try manual or automatic control.

I tried both the zip package and compiling it myself. Open hardware monitor is running.

Any ideas what I can look for?

Many thanks.

Cheers.

My program is not ideal. I found that after a reboot the GRID has to be power-cycled before the fans can be controlled again. I always turn my PC's power supply off when I'm done with but I can see how this is an issue. I think this might an initialization step that I'm missing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunqe View Post

You can ignore the above. I decided to remove the grid+ v2. I find the lack of PWM support disturbing and actually my MB does a better job of handling the fans.

Thanks anyway smile.gif

This is by far a better solution. The GRID is far from ideal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rascustoms View Post

I'm very interested in this project for a couple reasons, one because CAM had gotten so bloated I just gave up on having it installed and just left the fans run at the default 40%. The other is I spend atleast 50% of my time in linux and NZXT has refused to port CAM despite many requests. I tried running it on windows 10 however but I can't get the .jar to run. Nothing appears to open, any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi yes I had the same problem after I updated my java runtime. I can still run it by compiling the source with netbeans. But I'll look into it and try to bring an new jar online.

Again sorry guys that I didn't reply sooner. I wish I could have helped you when you needed it.
post #12 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rascustoms View Post

I'm very interested in this project for a couple reasons, one because CAM had gotten so bloated I just gave up on having it installed and just left the fans run at the default 40%. The other is I spend atleast 50% of my time in linux and NZXT has refused to port CAM despite many requests. I tried running it on windows 10 however but I can't get the .jar to run. Nothing appears to open, any suggestions?

Thanks

Try this version. I completely removed all java versions and installed the latest version and then compiled the project again. The jar seems to work again on my system. Let me know if it works.

CAMSucksDist.zip 351k .zip file
post #13 of 24
Unfortunately it appears to have the same issue. I'm running JVM version 8 update 91. Is the latest version as per your git source? I might have a crack at building that so I can at least catch an error message or something.

Also how much of your code is windows reliant? Is it mainly the open hardware monitor (WMI) interface? Sorry if that is an obvious question, but java is not a language I'm particularly familiar with, so just reading through the code it's not immediately obvious.

Thanks for your help
post #14 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rascustoms View Post

Unfortunately it appears to have the same issue. I'm running JVM version 8 update 91. Is the latest version as per your git source? I might have a crack at building that so I can at least catch an error message or something.

Also how much of your code is windows reliant? Is it mainly the open hardware monitor (WMI) interface? Sorry if that is an obvious question, but java is not a language I'm particularly familiar with, so just reading through the code it's not immediately obvious.

Thanks for your help

Hmm I would assume so. The only connections to the outside of the program are the GRID via COM and the sensors via WMI. The rxtx library that I should be compatible with linux.
http://rxtx.qbang.org/wiki/index.php/Installation_on_Linux
So to port my project to linux one would need a way to get sensor data in linux. Might be as simple as creating a bash script and running it trough java.

I removed everything java I could find and installed the latest java JDK. So maybe try removing everything too?
post #15 of 24
Reinstalled Java this time with the JDK rather then the JRE and it's running now. However it doesn't appear to be controlling the grid correctly. Neither auto or manual will change the speed below max. It is reporting the fan speed though and getting data from open hw monitor (however it is reporting speed dropping to 0 occasionally and sometimes speed on a fan that isn't even connected?). Any ideas?

Thanks
post #16 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rascustoms View Post

Reinstalled Java this time with the JDK rather then the JRE and it's running now. However it doesn't appear to be controlling the grid correctly. Neither auto or manual will change the speed below max. It is reporting the fan speed though and getting data from open hw monitor (however it is reporting speed dropping to 0 occasionally and sometimes speed on a fan that isn't even connected?). Any ideas?

Thanks

Yeah that's weird. As I said before the grid does act weird when I have rebooted my PC and didn't power-cycle it in between boots. Maybe try power-cycling your PC and see if you can control it then?

Another thing it might be is the driver of the GRID that messes stuff up. Try uninstalling the driver and try letting Windows install a new driver. Afterwards check which COM port is assigned to the grid and make sure the program connect tho that one and not any other.
post #17 of 24
Hi, I have been following this thread with interest.

Based on ideas in CAMSucks, I have developed a CAM replacement application in Python. My project is available on GitHub with screenshots and detailed information.

I also posted a note about this in the NZXT subreddit.

Please have a look. Feedback, bug reports and pull requests are welcome!
post #18 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by akej74 View Post

Hi, I have been following this thread with interest.

Based on ideas in CAMSucks, I have developed a CAM replacement application in Python. My project is available on GitHub with screenshots and detailed information.

I also posted a note about this in the NZXT subreddit.

Please have a look. Feedback, bug reports and pull requests are welcome!

Man! What an awesome project!

So refined so advanced. I'm humbled by your excellence. I will definitely try it out right now. I didn't know individual fan control was a thing!

AMAZING!!!

Made my day man!
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoelGoossens View Post

Man! What an awesome project!

So refined so advanced. I'm humbled by your excellence. I will definitely try it out right now. I didn't know individual fan control was a thing!

AMAZING!!!

Made my day man!

Thanks for the kind words! Regarding individual fan control, I believe that's only available in the latest version of the Grid (Grid+ V2). Did you use that one or the earlier version?
post #20 of 24
Thread Starter 
Yes I think I do.
I also noticed that my GRID responses with 0x20 to the init command.
I'm a noob when it comes to Python but I think I'm gonna try and implement support for the v1.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › CAMSucks! - An alternative for the CAM software for the NZXT GRID+