Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [Anand] Ashes of the Singularity Revisited: A Beta Look at DirectX 12 & Asynchronous Shading
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Anand] Ashes of the Singularity Revisited: A Beta Look at DirectX 12 & Asynchronous Shading - Page 12

post #111 of 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivon View Post

Really clever from their part knowing that there is no DX12 game available and just DX11 only games wink.gif
future is dx12 not dx11, otherwise nvidia wouldn't make dx12 cards. wink.gif
post #112 of 1175
One of the issues we will see with DX12, is windows 10 adaptation.
For people who refuse currently to install and move on to windows 10, DX12 is meaningless.

Also AoS CPU bottlenecking the game, seems to be part of the impact done on nvidia, as their need for CPU in order to schedule the work on async compute, might be hampered.

Still, I'm going to wait until the game is actually out and drivers are out with full implementations of DX12 done.
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #113 of 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightDee8D View Post

future is dx12 not dx11, otherwise nvidia wouldn't make dx12 cards. wink.gif

Yes but you are not buying a GPU so it can be useful in 2 years. You are buying a GPU to be useful now. In 2 years, you will have better (or worse) options which will fit the bill.
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #114 of 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivon View Post

Really clever from their part knowing that there is no DX12 game available and just DX11 only games wink.gif

Oh, AMD will still be optimizing for DX11 games, just not Ashes.
Kn0wledge
(20 items)
 
Pati3nce
(14 items)
 
Wisd0m
(10 items)
 
Reply
Kn0wledge
(20 items)
 
Pati3nce
(14 items)
 
Wisd0m
(10 items)
 
Reply
post #115 of 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post

Yes but you are not buying a GPU so it can be useful in 2 years. You are buying a GPU to be useful now. In 2 years, you will have better (or worse) options which will fit the bill.
Excactly and when you buy a card you don't want to wait 2 or 3 years for the drivers to be optimized
At launch, from start, nVidia seems way more optimized than AMD ones.
AMD talk a lot about DX12 because they know they are having hard time with nVidia drivers team.
post #116 of 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post

Yes but you are not buying a GPU so it can be useful in 2 years. You are buying a GPU to be useful now. In 2 years, you will have better (or worse) options which will fit the bill.
or , you can buy a gpu which gets performance boost in next 2 years and save money ? people bought 780 , ditching their 680. on the other side 7970 got performance through driver and better support. thus saving you money so you can buy big 14 nm gpu. wink.gif
post #117 of 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post

Yes but you are not buying a GPU so it can be useful in 2 years. You are buying a GPU to be useful now. In 2 years, you will have better (or worse) options which will fit the bill.

And AMD are competitive, with their cards beating, all of their intended NVIDIA price competitors under DX11 save for the Fury-X vs GTX 980 Ti.
https://www.techpowerup.com/mobile/reviews/ASUS/GTX_980_Ti_Matrix/23.html

In recent DX11 titles, AMD graphics cards have been quite surprising.

What DX12 does is allow for:

390 > GTX 970 by a long shot instead of a little
390X > GTX 980
Fury uncontested
Fury-X = GTX 980 Ti
TitanX uncontested

What Async compute allows for is:

390 > GTX 980
390x = GTX 980 Ti
TitanX
Fury uncontested
Fury-X uncontested.

So really, DX11 or DX12 w/wo Async doesn't change AMDs price competition figures for the worse. It only makes AMD GCN that much better.
Edited by Mahigan - 2/25/16 at 12:15am
Kn0wledge
(20 items)
 
Pati3nce
(14 items)
 
Wisd0m
(10 items)
 
Reply
Kn0wledge
(20 items)
 
Pati3nce
(14 items)
 
Wisd0m
(10 items)
 
Reply
post #118 of 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocknut View Post

The bench just shows how awful AMD DX11 overhead is.

If u serious about gaming now AMD is not a recommended buy until DirectX12 game gain some market share.

IMO, I dont think I will even care for AMD DirectX12 advantage until DirectX12 game market share hit 50%.

All the posts like these are ridiculously funny.. rolleyes.gif

AMD cards are hamstrung by DX11, that's true. But what's also true, is even with that disadvantage Hawai has competed with and beaten Kepler, and now competes very well with Maxwell, and in some cases even beats it. All while being "awful" at using the archaic API known as DX11..

Do any of you even pay attention to the performance of anything without a green sticker on it? AMD are a lot closer than you think:



The titles those averages come from are these; http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_145313535440811&key=7777bc3c17029328d03146e0ed767841&libId=ijk77dug01000kb5000DAgkmupsr8&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.overclock.net%2Ft%2F1579868%2Fpcghw-fallout-4-in-art-test-with-benchmarks-for-release%2F100&v=1&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.overclock.net%2Fforums%2Fposts%2Fby_user%2Fid%2F428406%2Fpage%2F120&title=%5BNVIDIA%5D%20Engaging%20the%20Voyage%20to%20Vulkan%20-%20Page%204&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.viglink.com%2Fapi%2Fclick%3Fformat%3Dgo%26amp%3Bjsonp%3Dvglnk_145313535440811%26amp%3Bkey%3D7777bc3c17029328d03146e0ed767841%26amp%3BlibId...&out=http%3A%2F%2Fimgur.com%2Fa%2FOcJUK

Let that sink in for a second.. They have Nvidia matched under most tiers except the 980Ti, while being awful, what's it going to be like when they are actually good? lachen.gif
post #119 of 1175
I got a strong feeling that some people are feeling butt hurt about the benchmark results.... ok maybe I am being overly sensitive.lol.....
post #120 of 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaSceptre View Post

All the posts like these are ridiculously funny.. rolleyes.gif

AMD cards are hamstrung by DX11, that's true. But what's also true, is even with that disadvantage Hawai has competed with and beaten Kepler, and now competes very well with Maxwell, and in some cases even beats it. All while being "awful" at using the archaic API known as DX11..

Do any of you even pay attention to the performance of anything without a green sticker on it? AMD are a lot closer than you think:



The titles those averages come from are these; http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_145313535440811&key=7777bc3c17029328d03146e0ed767841&libId=ijk77dug01000kb5000DAgkmupsr8&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.overclock.net%2Ft%2F1579868%2Fpcghw-fallout-4-in-art-test-with-benchmarks-for-release%2F100&v=1&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.overclock.net%2Fforums%2Fposts%2Fby_user%2Fid%2F428406%2Fpage%2F120&title=%5BNVIDIA%5D%20Engaging%20the%20Voyage%20to%20Vulkan%20-%20Page%204&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.viglink.com%2Fapi%2Fclick%3Fformat%3Dgo%26amp%3Bjsonp%3Dvglnk_145313535440811%26amp%3Bkey%3D7777bc3c17029328d03146e0ed767841%26amp%3BlibId...&out=http%3A%2F%2Fimgur.com%2Fa%2FOcJUK

Let that sink in for a second.. They have Nvidia matched under most tiers except the 980Ti, while being awful, what's it going to be like when they are actually good? lachen.gif

Fury X is almost as fast as 980ti in DX11. I just wonder in which way is Nvidia much faster than AMD?????

As I have mentioned before, pple who do not own and use AMD GPU keep talking about how bad AMD drivers are.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [Anand] Ashes of the Singularity Revisited: A Beta Look at DirectX 12 & Asynchronous Shading