Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Should I wait?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should I wait?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Currently running a 760 with an 8350. Future plans are to switch to Intel by the end of this year. But I am wondering if I should go ahead and upgrade my card? Mostly will be benefiting me gaming wise but also for video editing. Also I see my 760 hindering my ability to upgrade to better monitors at this point which I do want to upgrade but believe a card upgrade needs to come first.

Would running two 760's be better for now?
The Slug
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Asus Z170-A ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SSD Hyper 212 Evo Windows 10 Acer 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 2 Seasonic 650W Fractal Define S Logitech G502 
  hide details  
Reply
The Slug
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Asus Z170-A ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SSD Hyper 212 Evo Windows 10 Acer 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 2 Seasonic 650W Fractal Define S Logitech G502 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 11
I just upgraded from my 580ti ferni to 970 to hold me over until new cards release, can find good deals on this site for slightly used cards. Could possibly look into that.
post #3 of 11
if you plan upgrading the resolution or running downsampling dont get 2GB video cards... hold for incoming video cards or get a cheap R9 390x/GTX 980 or better
post #4 of 11
It depends on how long you want to wait and how much money you have to spend on a card right now. What kind of monitor are you looking to upgrade to in the near future? That makes a big difference. If you buy a high end GTX 900 series card you can always sell it in 10 months when we have Pascal/Polaris.

In all honesty I would spend the money now and grab a 6600k/6700k, mobo, and DDR4.

The gains you will get going from a GTX 760 to Pascal will be a MUCH larger gain then Kaby Lake.
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Money wise there isn't an issue but I may have to wait a tad longer depending on price of said card. The reason I ask if I should wait is because I've seen various time frames for Pascal/Polaris release. If they are releasing and become obtainable in the next couple months I can hold off. If they aren't really obtainable till later this year or next year has me questioning waiting. Just due to the fact of running the newer games coming out at a reasonable FPS. I am looking at picking up at least a 1080p 144hz monitor. After that I'll decide on the others. I have two right now and it would just replace one of them.

Do you guys think upgrading cpu/mobo/ram is a better option for performance gain as of now and will keep me content till Polaris/Pascal?
The Slug
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Asus Z170-A ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SSD Hyper 212 Evo Windows 10 Acer 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 2 Seasonic 650W Fractal Define S Logitech G502 
  hide details  
Reply
The Slug
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Asus Z170-A ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SSD Hyper 212 Evo Windows 10 Acer 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 2 Seasonic 650W Fractal Define S Logitech G502 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Do you guys think upgrading cpu/mobo/ram is a better option for performance gain as of now and will keep me content till Polaris/Pascal?

I would say no. The bigger performance gain for gaming would be to upgrade the 760 to a 970/980/980ti. Your CPU isn't holding you back for gaming frame rates as much as your GPU. You won't run near 144fps without a higher tier card. Your CPU wouldn't contribute nearly as much. I have heard anywhere from Q2 to early next year for the higher end cards of Polaris/Pascal. GPU's have great resale value though. You may not even need to upgrde from Maxwell anyway.
post #7 of 11

yeah upgrade to 390 or 980 now and upgrade cpu and board later. No real reason to upgrade your cpu if you are only running 1 video card.

 

also maybe an ssd if you don't already have one.

Silvia
(7 items)
 
Red Queen
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I5-7600k Asrock Z270M Extreme 4 GTX 1060 Galax HOF 
Hard DriveOSCase
Samsung 850 pro windows 10 pro enthoo evolv matx tempered glass 
  hide details  
Reply
Silvia
(7 items)
 
Red Queen
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I5-7600k Asrock Z270M Extreme 4 GTX 1060 Galax HOF 
Hard DriveOSCase
Samsung 850 pro windows 10 pro enthoo evolv matx tempered glass 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humafold View Post

I would say no. The bigger performance gain for gaming would be to upgrade the 760 to a 970/980/980ti. Your CPU isn't holding you back for gaming frame rates as much as your GPU. You won't run near 144fps without a higher tier card. Your CPU wouldn't contribute nearly as much. I have heard anywhere from Q2 to early next year for the higher end cards of Polaris/Pascal. GPU's have great resale value though. You may not even need to upgrde from Maxwell anyway.

I know the 760 wouldn't be capable of handling the 144 monitor which is one of the main issues. I've heard the same time frames you have. It would be nice to know if they could at least let us know when they will release in a smaller window. Doesn't have to be an exact date. lol I also want to believe the hype when it comes to the performance increase but also am wary of it.

I plan on building a new rig this year at some point any ways. So I'm just looking something to hold me over till that happens and the new cards come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlay View Post

yeah upgrade to 390 or 980 now and upgrade cpu and board later. No real reason to upgrade your cpu if you are only running 1 video card.

also maybe an ssd if you don't already have one.

Already have an SSD.


Question is... I've read up on both the 900 series and 390's. I honestly don't know what to get in that aspect. Makes my head hurt. lol Do they just come down to which one I can get at a better price? I also have no experience with AMD cards.
The Slug
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Asus Z170-A ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SSD Hyper 212 Evo Windows 10 Acer 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 2 Seasonic 650W Fractal Define S Logitech G502 
  hide details  
Reply
The Slug
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Asus Z170-A ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SSD Hyper 212 Evo Windows 10 Acer 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 2 Seasonic 650W Fractal Define S Logitech G502 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneeder View Post

Question is... I've read up on both the 900 series and 390's. I honestly don't know what to get in that aspect. Makes my head hurt. lol Do they just come down to which one I can get at a better price? I also have no experience with AMD cards.

 

For the most part yes however some programs for video editing might run better depending on which card you use. But for the most part the cheaper card is the better option.

Silvia
(7 items)
 
Red Queen
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I5-7600k Asrock Z270M Extreme 4 GTX 1060 Galax HOF 
Hard DriveOSCase
Samsung 850 pro windows 10 pro enthoo evolv matx tempered glass 
  hide details  
Reply
Silvia
(7 items)
 
Red Queen
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I5-7600k Asrock Z270M Extreme 4 GTX 1060 Galax HOF 
Hard DriveOSCase
Samsung 850 pro windows 10 pro enthoo evolv matx tempered glass 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneeder View Post

Money wise there isn't an issue but I may have to wait a tad longer depending on price of said card. The reason I ask if I should wait is because I've seen various time frames for Pascal/Polaris release. If they are releasing and become obtainable in the next couple months I can hold off. If they aren't really obtainable till later this year or next year has me questioning waiting. Just due to the fact of running the newer games coming out at a reasonable FPS. I am looking at picking up at least a 1080p 144hz monitor. After that I'll decide on the others. I have two right now and it would just replace one of them.

Do you guys think upgrading cpu/mobo/ram is a better option for performance gain as of now and will keep me content till Polaris/Pascal?
around H2 2016 for Polaris and probably Pascal

And yeah a cpu upgrade to Haswell-E or Skylake is a good choice in games that prefer higher Singlethread performance you would see better performance than with the FX 8350 on DX11 games specially games that require a good performance cpu wise like Battlefield,CS GO and ARMA III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneeder View Post

I know the 760 wouldn't be capable of handling the 144 monitor which is one of the main issues. I've heard the same time frames you have. It would be nice to know if they could at least let us know when they will release in a smaller window. Doesn't have to be an exact date. lol I also want to believe the hype when it comes to the performance increase but also am wary of it.

I plan on building a new rig this year at some point any ways. So I'm just looking something to hold me over till that happens and the new cards come out.
Already have an SSD.


Question is... I've read up on both the 900 series and 390's. I honestly don't know what to get in that aspect. Makes my head hurt. lol Do they just come down to which one I can get at a better price? I also have no experience with AMD cards.
The R9 390 performs like a GTX 970 but with 8GB and usually costs 300-275usd(newegg) and the R9 390x performs like a GTX 980 but it has 8GB and costs 375-350usd
Edited by PontiacGTX - 2/26/16 at 2:09pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Should I wait?