Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [ExtremeTech] Windows 10 now shows ads on the lock screen — here’s how to kill them
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[ExtremeTech] Windows 10 now shows ads on the lock screen — here’s how to kill them - Page 14

post #131 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by looniam View Post

yep MS themselves are spreading it:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt621549(v=vs.85).aspx
check your group policy. thumb.gif
Absolutely. thumb.gif




Also pretty cool link you've got there. Now again,who was the one who claimed they weren't forth tcoming to disable the "ads"?

If you have a PC and expect to have everything served on a silver platter....i feel bad for you.
post #132 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpossum View Post

So I don't understand what the motivation is for every one defending this.

Cognitive dissonance. So far, the more zealous fanboys have defended MS every single time in regards to Windows 10. You can check that right here on OCN, on past articles. Basically, by criticizing something they like you're causing discomfort by instilling a sense of wrongness in their decisions, which is akin to insulting their intelligence or sanity.

Yes, it also works the other way around, and this dissonance can affect those opposed to something. But notice you can separate the wheat from the chaff by analyzing the reasoning behind a proposition. Frequently, critics of Windows, and especially of Windows 10, point out how this OS transgress some of their principles: incessant privacy violations, uninstalling and installing programs without asking, automatically downloading Windows 10 "just in case" through WU if you're on 7/8, lack of transparency, the list goes on. Now you can discuss those points and others individually, and one may or may not care about any of that.

But notice once any of those points are proven, the zealots will not let your criticism go "unpunished", and they ALWAYS resort to non-factual emotive appeals: "You're a tinfoil hat wearing paranoid!", "What are you hiding? Why do you care?", "Apple and Google are doing it! Everyone else is doing it!", "Oh geez, how dare people like something you don't like?", "Why is that a big deal? Doesn't bother me!".
post #133 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLDii3 View Post

Absolutely. thumb.gif




Also pretty cool link you've got there. Now again,who was the one who claimed they weren't forth tcoming to disable the "ads"?

If you have a PC and expect to have everything served on a silver platter....i feel bad for you.

what ?
post #134 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by girugamesh View Post


But notice once any of those points are proven, the zealots will not let your criticism go "unpunished", and they ALWAYS resort to non-factual emotive appeals: "You're a tinfoil hat wearing paranoid!", "What are you hiding? Why do you care?", "Apple and Google are doing it! Everyone else is doing it!", "Oh geez, how dare people like something you don't like?", "Why is that a big deal? Doesn't bother me!".

People are genuinely scared of change, its a sad part of humanity when it gets to never changing the brand of underwear you normally have or the operating system on your PC. Its OK if its rational thought, but as you said you get to a point where rationality goes out of the window very quickly these days..
Edited by Pip Boy - 2/28/16 at 10:00am
post #135 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLDii3 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by looniam View Post

yep MS themselves are spreading it:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt621549(v=vs.85).aspx
check your group policy. thumb.gif
Absolutely. thumb.gif
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Also pretty cool link you've got there. Now again,who was the one who claimed they weren't forth tcoming to disable the "ads"?

If you have a PC and expect to have everything served on a silver platter....i feel bad for you.

that's the settings, not the group policy. doh.gif
Quote:
Windows spotlight is enabled by default. Administrators can replace Windows spotlight with a selected image using the Group Policy setting Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Personalization > Force a specific default lock screen image.
and also (at the top):
Quote:
Windows spotlight is an option for the lock screen background that displays different background images and occasionally offers suggestions on the lock screen. Windows spotlight is now available in Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Enterprise, and Windows 10 Education.
it's not every edition.

silver platter? no. but not have to go to technet as an IT admin. never needed to before for any previous OS.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K Asus P8Z77-V Pro EVGA 980TI SC+ 16Gb PNY ddr3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb 1 TB Seagate 3 TB WD Blue DVD DVDRW+/- 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EKWB P280 kit EK-VGA supremacy Win X LG 24MC57HQ-P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero [blues] EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 Stryker M [hammered and drilled] corsair M65 
AudioAudio
SB Recon3D Klipsch ProMedia 2.1  
  hide details  
Reply
loon 3.2
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K Asus P8Z77-V Pro EVGA 980TI SC+ 16Gb PNY ddr3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb 1 TB Seagate 3 TB WD Blue DVD DVDRW+/- 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EKWB P280 kit EK-VGA supremacy Win X LG 24MC57HQ-P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero [blues] EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 Stryker M [hammered and drilled] corsair M65 
AudioAudio
SB Recon3D Klipsch ProMedia 2.1  
  hide details  
Reply
post #136 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by looniam View Post

that's the settings, not the group policy. doh.gif
and also (at the top):
it's not every edition.

silver platter? no. but not have to go to technet as an IT admin. never needed to before for any previous OS.
So? There's no "Fun,tips and tricks" option anywhere. The "Group Policy" thing you're talking about has nothing to do with anything.

You don't need to do anything of that.

The Option in Settings is enough,you can use whatever wallpaper you may like for the Lockscreen.

Don't worry,happens when you don't even know what you are talking about. Maybe next time when you have tried W10. thumb.gif



So until now no one has the remote idea on how to turn this "Fun,tips and tricks" setting on.
Edited by GoLDii3 - 2/28/16 at 9:54am
post #137 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLDii3 View Post

So? There's no "Fun,tips and tricks" option anywhere. The "Group Policy" thing you're talking about has nothing to do with anything.

You don't need to do anything of that.

The Option in Settings is enough,you can use whatever wallpaper you may like for the Lockscreen.

Don't worry,happens when you don't even know what you are talking about. Maybe next time when you have tried W10. thumb.gif
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

first of all - it's MS themselves that are saying it, not me. so by your claim they- who makes the OS - are wrong.

and secondly, i have tried Win 10 but went back to 7 because i got tired of seeing this:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1583423/tt-windows-7-users-arent-budging-despite-free-windows-10-upgrade/300_50#post_24702404
i would have to reboot just to get the start menu as it was unresponsive. and would be as that after several re-installs and spending days to fix it.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K Asus P8Z77-V Pro EVGA 980TI SC+ 16Gb PNY ddr3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb 1 TB Seagate 3 TB WD Blue DVD DVDRW+/- 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EKWB P280 kit EK-VGA supremacy Win X LG 24MC57HQ-P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero [blues] EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 Stryker M [hammered and drilled] corsair M65 
AudioAudio
SB Recon3D Klipsch ProMedia 2.1  
  hide details  
Reply
loon 3.2
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K Asus P8Z77-V Pro EVGA 980TI SC+ 16Gb PNY ddr3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb 1 TB Seagate 3 TB WD Blue DVD DVDRW+/- 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EKWB P280 kit EK-VGA supremacy Win X LG 24MC57HQ-P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero [blues] EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 Stryker M [hammered and drilled] corsair M65 
AudioAudio
SB Recon3D Klipsch ProMedia 2.1  
  hide details  
Reply
post #138 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by looniam View Post

first of all - it's MS themselves that are saying it, not me. so by your claim they- who makes the OS - are wrong.
If by "my claim" you mean the one on page 13,i stand corrected then.

The option is not FUD,but the fact that they are portraying it as if it was present on every single PC is. "Windows 10 now show ads on the lockscreen". Where they at?

No one as of now,has provided proof of this option being present,except the OP and those two pictures.

And i could not replicate it with the same piece of software used by them,and anyone is free to try by themselves too.
Edited by GoLDii3 - 2/28/16 at 10:40am
post #139 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLDii3 View Post

If by "my claim" you mean the one on page 13,i stand corrected then.

The option is not FUD,but the fact that they are portraying it as if it was present on every single PC is. "Windows 10 now show ads on the lockscreen". Where they at?

No one as of now,has provided proof of this option being present,except the OP and those two pictures.

And i could not replicate it with the same piece of software used by them,and anyone is free to try by themselves too.

there is also (a different screen shot) here:
http://www.howtogeek.com/243263/how-to-disable-ads-on-your-windows-10-lock-screen/


however, yeah as you mention it does seem to be inferred that every windows 10 has it when that is not true.

i just may need to categorize extremetech as sensationalist as forbes in the future.

i'll just leave it at that and tip my hat to your skepticism and tenacity.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K Asus P8Z77-V Pro EVGA 980TI SC+ 16Gb PNY ddr3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb 1 TB Seagate 3 TB WD Blue DVD DVDRW+/- 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EKWB P280 kit EK-VGA supremacy Win X LG 24MC57HQ-P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero [blues] EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 Stryker M [hammered and drilled] corsair M65 
AudioAudio
SB Recon3D Klipsch ProMedia 2.1  
  hide details  
Reply
loon 3.2
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K Asus P8Z77-V Pro EVGA 980TI SC+ 16Gb PNY ddr3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb 1 TB Seagate 3 TB WD Blue DVD DVDRW+/- 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EKWB P280 kit EK-VGA supremacy Win X LG 24MC57HQ-P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero [blues] EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 Stryker M [hammered and drilled] corsair M65 
AudioAudio
SB Recon3D Klipsch ProMedia 2.1  
  hide details  
Reply
post #140 of 147
No adds on my lock screen.
 
FreeNAS Box
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel 4930K Rampage IV Extreme EVGA Titan X SC EVGA Titan X SC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Dominator Platinum 2133 840 Pro 256gb 840 evo 1tb EK Supremacy EVO 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech MPC 655 EK reservoir 250 EK Titan X nickel block EK Titan X nickel block 
OSOSKeyboardPower
Arch Linux Win10 Pro Corsair K95 RGB ax1200i 
CaseMouse
900d Logitech g502 
  hide details  
Reply
 
FreeNAS Box
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel 4930K Rampage IV Extreme EVGA Titan X SC EVGA Titan X SC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Dominator Platinum 2133 840 Pro 256gb 840 evo 1tb EK Supremacy EVO 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech MPC 655 EK reservoir 250 EK Titan X nickel block EK Titan X nickel block 
OSOSKeyboardPower
Arch Linux Win10 Pro Corsair K95 RGB ax1200i 
CaseMouse
900d Logitech g502 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [ExtremeTech] Windows 10 now shows ads on the lock screen — here’s how to kill them