Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › trying to build a new intel/nvidia system. No idea where to start
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

trying to build a new intel/nvidia system. No idea where to start - Page 2

post #11 of 21
I would suggest get a 4790K, Z97 mobo and DDR3 RAM and you get 99% performance of 6700k for much less. You can then used the saved money on a better GPU or bigger SSD.
post #12 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleBound View Post

I would suggest get a 4790K, Z97 mobo and DDR3 RAM and you get 99% performance of 6700k for much less. You can then used the saved money on a better GPU or bigger SSD.

thanks for the advice, but I don't really feel comfortable doing that..

I want a core system that I can keep for a while (like, at least 5 years). The GPU, SSD's, and, even CPU, and RAM I can upgrade at a later point if I need to..

Essentially, I feel that the LGA1151 socket still has a ways to go before its replaced/succeeded. In a few years from now, I will probably upgrade to whatever succeeds the i7-6700k (KabyLake, maybe even a CannonLake??). And I don't want to have to replace the entire system all over again just to do that.

I am not so worried about the graphics card, and storage options, as they can be bought in single purchases, comparatively cheaply. and they don't need to especially compatible the way a CPU socket, and RAM type are. So, I don't mind cheaping out on those components now. (if you can call a GTX-960 'cheap' lol) To me, the most important part is building a powerful core system that will last many years to come, which will be up-gradable to a KabyLake i7 when it comes out, and the price falls a bit....

I dunno.. Does that make sense? Am I being silly to think that I would be able to get much longevity/upgrade-ability going with a Z-170 board? And in 5 or so years from now, I will scoop it up a Kabylake i7 for hopefully less then $200 tongue.gif, along with another 16gb of ram, and a new videocard, then the entire system would be good hopefully for another 5 years, which, by then I will start the cycle again. tongue.gif (hopefully quantum computing is a thing by then tongue.giftongue.gif )

TBH, if I could afford it, I would go for a X99 chipset.. Those new Broadwells that are coming up look amazing! 10 cores, 20 threads, at a max freq of 3.5ghz! just jaw-dropping!

does that make sense? or am I just being silly?
Edited by ketatrypt - 2/28/16 at 3:01am
 
Old '775
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-6600k Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Evga GTX 970 Superclocked+ 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC 3200Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
1tb Western Digital Caviar Black Kingston SSDNow V300 Series (240gb) LG BD-DVD-RW CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 pro Asus VE247 (LED backlit) Samsung Syncmaster 2333hd Cooler Master Devastator II combo 
PowerCaseMouseOther
XFX pro 650w Rosewill Stealth Mid-ATX Cougar 550M optical mouse D-link PCI-Expess Wireless N-300 (dual band) Card 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 quad Q 8200 OC'd ASUS P5K GTS 450 8gb DDR2 pc6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500gb OEM drive LG blue Ray Windows 7.awsome ASUS VE247 
Power
XFX pro 650w 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Old '775
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-6600k Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Evga GTX 970 Superclocked+ 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC 3200Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
1tb Western Digital Caviar Black Kingston SSDNow V300 Series (240gb) LG BD-DVD-RW CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 pro Asus VE247 (LED backlit) Samsung Syncmaster 2333hd Cooler Master Devastator II combo 
PowerCaseMouseOther
XFX pro 650w Rosewill Stealth Mid-ATX Cougar 550M optical mouse D-link PCI-Expess Wireless N-300 (dual band) Card 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 quad Q 8200 OC'd ASUS P5K GTS 450 8gb DDR2 pc6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500gb OEM drive LG blue Ray Windows 7.awsome ASUS VE247 
Power
XFX pro 650w 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketatrypt View Post

ya I am totally gonna go air, I don't want to risk something breaking and having water leak everywhere.. Been looking, and think I will just get the hyper 212 evo. Its reasonably cheap, and the reviews look good.

So yea.. Pretty pumped.. got it all planned out, and here is what I will be looking at:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($365.98 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($50.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($229.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($170.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($100.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($305.55 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Raidmax ATX-402WB ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1289.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-28 01:16 EST-0500

And then I have my own 650w XFX psu, and a 250gb SSD, which will form a fully functional PC which I can install win 10 onto. Hopefully I am not forgetting anything? Maybe a couple extra 120mm fans, but, that can wait I suppose.

I just gotta call newegg and see if they can add the heatsink, case, and gpu to the 'bundle', as it might offer more savings hopefully (they have a bundle creator thing, but I cant add those parts)

im quite excited lol tongue.gif itll be like a second christmas tongue.gif But seriously, the last time I got a PC this new (as in not 5 year old tech) was back in '97.. I still remember that day, thinking how awsome the pentium 233mhz with MMX was, and how great it was to have 64mb of ram, and a 6.4gb hard drive.. internet was via 33.6k dialup haha lol those were the days frown.gif I miss POD racer, and the old stickdeath.
why would you choose a 960 for the sane price of a 380x?
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketatrypt View Post

ya I am totally gonna go air, I don't want to risk something breaking and having water leak everywhere.. Been looking, and think I will just get the hyper 212 evo. Its reasonably cheap, and the reviews look good.

So yea.. Pretty pumped.. got it all planned out, and here is what I will be looking at:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($365.98 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($50.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($229.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($170.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($100.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($305.55 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Raidmax ATX-402WB ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1289.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-28 01:16 EST-0500

And then I have my own 650w XFX psu, and a 250gb SSD, which will form a fully functional PC which I can install win 10 onto. Hopefully I am not forgetting anything? Maybe a couple extra 120mm fans, but, that can wait I suppose.

I just gotta call newegg and see if they can add the heatsink, case, and gpu to the 'bundle', as it might offer more savings hopefully (they have a bundle creator thing, but I cant add those parts)

im quite excited lol tongue.gif itll be like a second christmas tongue.gif But seriously, the last time I got a PC this new (as in not 5 year old tech) was back in '97.. I still remember that day, thinking how awsome the pentium 233mhz with MMX was, and how great it was to have 64mb of ram, and a 6.4gb hard drive.. internet was via 33.6k dialup haha lol those were the days frown.gif I miss POD racer, and the old stickdeath.
why would you choose a 960 for the sane price of a 380x?
If he were getting a Core i3 or AMD CPU I would say Nvidia is the better option, but in this case I would have to agree with you.

With a 6600k, you are most likely better off getting the 380X or even the 380, as with such a powerful CPU the DX11 Overhead with AMD won't be such an issue.
post #15 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

why would you choose a 960 for the sane price of a 380x?


CUDA cores, and PhysX.

I can mine cryptocurrencies with CUDA much more effeciently, and, physX just looks beatitful..

Not to mention, I am pretty biased against AMD in general.

Last Radeon card I had was a 9200.. I hated it.. Turned to Nvidia after that, and never looked back. (never had issues with Nvidia like I did with ATI iether)
Edited by ketatrypt - 2/28/16 at 6:45pm
 
Old '775
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-6600k Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Evga GTX 970 Superclocked+ 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC 3200Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
1tb Western Digital Caviar Black Kingston SSDNow V300 Series (240gb) LG BD-DVD-RW CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 pro Asus VE247 (LED backlit) Samsung Syncmaster 2333hd Cooler Master Devastator II combo 
PowerCaseMouseOther
XFX pro 650w Rosewill Stealth Mid-ATX Cougar 550M optical mouse D-link PCI-Expess Wireless N-300 (dual band) Card 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 quad Q 8200 OC'd ASUS P5K GTS 450 8gb DDR2 pc6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500gb OEM drive LG blue Ray Windows 7.awsome ASUS VE247 
Power
XFX pro 650w 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Old '775
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-6600k Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Evga GTX 970 Superclocked+ 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC 3200Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
1tb Western Digital Caviar Black Kingston SSDNow V300 Series (240gb) LG BD-DVD-RW CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 pro Asus VE247 (LED backlit) Samsung Syncmaster 2333hd Cooler Master Devastator II combo 
PowerCaseMouseOther
XFX pro 650w Rosewill Stealth Mid-ATX Cougar 550M optical mouse D-link PCI-Expess Wireless N-300 (dual band) Card 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 quad Q 8200 OC'd ASUS P5K GTS 450 8gb DDR2 pc6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500gb OEM drive LG blue Ray Windows 7.awsome ASUS VE247 
Power
XFX pro 650w 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketatrypt View Post

CUDA cores, and PhysX.

I can mine cryptocurrencies with CUDA much more effeciently, and, physX just looks beatitful..

Not to mention, I am pretty biased against AMD in general.

Last Radeon card I had was a 9200.. I hated it.. Turned to Nvidia after that, and never looked back. (never had issues with Nvidia like I did with ATI iether)
opencl minning is more efficient than cuda ,minning always performed better with amd. rolleyes.gif

Physx is being unused more games use intel physics than nvidia physics

Why be biased against amd if nvidia is the one that makes bad bussiness practices?and their products are overpriced...indeed the 380 is faster than the 960 and the 380x is 10% faster than the 380,plus the 380/x have better Directx 12 performance and performs better at higher resolution

You cant compare a card from many years ago to GCN gpus.
Edited by PontiacGTX - 2/29/16 at 4:38am
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

opencl minning is more efficient than cuda ,minning always performed better with amd. rolleyes.gif

Physx is being unused more games use intel physics than nvidia physics

Why be biased against amd if nvidia is the one that makes bad bussiness practices?and their products are overpriced...indeed the 380 is faster than the 960 and the 380x is 10% faster than the 380,plus the 380/x have better Directx 12 performance and performs better at higher resolution

You cant compare a card from many years ago to GCN gpus.

AMD still has shaky DX 11 support leading to worse performance in demanding spots in game compared to competing Nvidia gpu's. I'm guessing you guys never watch the Digital Foundry videos.

AMD does have the advantage in DX12. Least for now. Other then Ashes of singularity (Almost a joke) is DX12 even implemented in any of the games that's supposed to support it? I read about games that will get it added, but when? Anyone playing those games at launch will play using DX11.

Where are all the games with active DX12 support today?
     
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-7820x H115i TUF X299 Mark 1 GTX 1080 ti 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB @ 3600 Samsung 960 evo 500gb m.2 Samsung 850 evo 500GB 1Tb HDD 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 pro Acer Predator X34 (34" 21:9 Gsync) DAS Keyboard 4 Professional SeaSonic X Series X-850 (SS-850KM3 Active PFC F3)  
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout with Window Logitech G700s ONKYO TX-NR525 (Receiver) Polk Audio CS2 Series II (Center) 
AudioAudio
Polk Audio Monitor40 Series II (x4) Polk Audio PSW Series PSW505 (12" Sub) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4790k MSI Z97A Gaming 6 EVGA 1050 Ti Corsair Vegence Pro 16gb (2400) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston V300 (OS) Seagate 1tb hybrid hdd Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
XB270HU (1440p/144Hz/Gsync) RM850 Rosewill R5 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-7820x H115i TUF X299 Mark 1 GTX 1080 ti 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB @ 3600 Samsung 960 evo 500gb m.2 Samsung 850 evo 500GB 1Tb HDD 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 pro Acer Predator X34 (34" 21:9 Gsync) DAS Keyboard 4 Professional SeaSonic X Series X-850 (SS-850KM3 Active PFC F3)  
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout with Window Logitech G700s ONKYO TX-NR525 (Receiver) Polk Audio CS2 Series II (Center) 
AudioAudio
Polk Audio Monitor40 Series II (x4) Polk Audio PSW Series PSW505 (12" Sub) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4790k MSI Z97A Gaming 6 EVGA 1050 Ti Corsair Vegence Pro 16gb (2400) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston V300 (OS) Seagate 1tb hybrid hdd Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
XB270HU (1440p/144Hz/Gsync) RM850 Rosewill R5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeit View Post

AMD still has shaky DX 11 support leading to worse performance in demanding spots in game compared to competing Nvidia gpu's. I'm guessing you guys never watch the Digital Foundry videos.

AMD does have the advantage in DX12. Least for now. Other then Ashes of singularity (Almost a joke) is DX12 even implemented in any of the games that's supposed to support it? I read about games that will get it added, but when? Anyone playing those games at launch will play using DX11.

Where are all the games with active DX12 support today?
DX11 isnt an issue if you are gpu bound where a 380x is most of the times..

And the performance on DX11 is fine 380x can beat a 960 even a 380 can match it.

Most of DX12 games are under development
Edited by PontiacGTX - 2/29/16 at 8:52am
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
DX11 isnt an issue if you are gpu bound where a 380x is most of the times..

And the performance on DX11 is fine 380x can beat a 960 even a 380 can match it.

Most of DX12 games are under development

I'd suggest watching some of these guys stuff since they have specially made software for doing things like detecting frame time latency, inconsistency, and the such.

A video explaining how they come by their numbers.


*It isn't all bad for AMD. In one of their videos they mention that after driver updates AMD's DX11 performance improved considerably. Problem being it was crap for early buyers of the game and first impressions matter the most.
Edited by Chargeit - 2/29/16 at 9:06am
     
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-7820x H115i TUF X299 Mark 1 GTX 1080 ti 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB @ 3600 Samsung 960 evo 500gb m.2 Samsung 850 evo 500GB 1Tb HDD 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 pro Acer Predator X34 (34" 21:9 Gsync) DAS Keyboard 4 Professional SeaSonic X Series X-850 (SS-850KM3 Active PFC F3)  
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout with Window Logitech G700s ONKYO TX-NR525 (Receiver) Polk Audio CS2 Series II (Center) 
AudioAudio
Polk Audio Monitor40 Series II (x4) Polk Audio PSW Series PSW505 (12" Sub) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4790k MSI Z97A Gaming 6 EVGA 1050 Ti Corsair Vegence Pro 16gb (2400) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston V300 (OS) Seagate 1tb hybrid hdd Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
XB270HU (1440p/144Hz/Gsync) RM850 Rosewill R5 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-7820x H115i TUF X299 Mark 1 GTX 1080 ti 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB @ 3600 Samsung 960 evo 500gb m.2 Samsung 850 evo 500GB 1Tb HDD 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 pro Acer Predator X34 (34" 21:9 Gsync) DAS Keyboard 4 Professional SeaSonic X Series X-850 (SS-850KM3 Active PFC F3)  
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout with Window Logitech G700s ONKYO TX-NR525 (Receiver) Polk Audio CS2 Series II (Center) 
AudioAudio
Polk Audio Monitor40 Series II (x4) Polk Audio PSW Series PSW505 (12" Sub) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4790k MSI Z97A Gaming 6 EVGA 1050 Ti Corsair Vegence Pro 16gb (2400) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston V300 (OS) Seagate 1tb hybrid hdd Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
XB270HU (1440p/144Hz/Gsync) RM850 Rosewill R5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 21
Thread Starter 
yea your right, AMD is better for scrypt mining, but that is more of a hobby then anything... But that doesn't fix my bias lol..

I actively play planetside 2, and that supports physX, as well as borderlands, fallout 4, etc. I mean, more games support physX then dx12 right now. If the scene drastically changes in the next couple years, and a 'true' winner actually gets ahead (like intel in the CPU market) then, maybe I will think harder about ATI.. Luckly, graphics cards are pretty cheap compared to other components. smile.gif

EDIT - OK I watched some of the videos yous posted - and I want to say, right away, the performance dips is the exact issue I had with the old ati 9200.. I replaced an 'old' nvidia gpu I had (forget exactly what) but, it really didn't help out much. Add that on top of the wierd layout that ATI uses for the control panel, and, well, gives me a good excuse not to use ATI again.. . Even if it has been bought out tongue.gif


But until then, we can all argue over our biases ;D
Edited by ketatrypt - 2/29/16 at 10:29am
 
Old '775
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-6600k Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Evga GTX 970 Superclocked+ 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC 3200Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
1tb Western Digital Caviar Black Kingston SSDNow V300 Series (240gb) LG BD-DVD-RW CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 pro Asus VE247 (LED backlit) Samsung Syncmaster 2333hd Cooler Master Devastator II combo 
PowerCaseMouseOther
XFX pro 650w Rosewill Stealth Mid-ATX Cougar 550M optical mouse D-link PCI-Expess Wireless N-300 (dual band) Card 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 quad Q 8200 OC'd ASUS P5K GTS 450 8gb DDR2 pc6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500gb OEM drive LG blue Ray Windows 7.awsome ASUS VE247 
Power
XFX pro 650w 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Old '775
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-6600k Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Evga GTX 970 Superclocked+ 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC 3200Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
1tb Western Digital Caviar Black Kingston SSDNow V300 Series (240gb) LG BD-DVD-RW CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 pro Asus VE247 (LED backlit) Samsung Syncmaster 2333hd Cooler Master Devastator II combo 
PowerCaseMouseOther
XFX pro 650w Rosewill Stealth Mid-ATX Cougar 550M optical mouse D-link PCI-Expess Wireless N-300 (dual band) Card 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 quad Q 8200 OC'd ASUS P5K GTS 450 8gb DDR2 pc6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500gb OEM drive LG blue Ray Windows 7.awsome ASUS VE247 
Power
XFX pro 650w 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › trying to build a new intel/nvidia system. No idea where to start