Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Difficulty finding the right video card - Best Brand? RMA?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Difficulty finding the right video card - Best Brand? RMA?

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Knowing the new card releases are just around the corner, but still having to do a new build, Im having a difficult time deciding what card to get.

I'm going with Skylake 1151 as it is probably the newest release with a new line of CPU's knowing to coming out for it sometime in the future.

That said, I am leaning towards an R9 390. It's not too expensive, but has plenty of power and can be Crossfired later for decent 4K (1080p as of now). I can also sell it later and go big on the new generation GPU's and not be out as much money; say if I were replacing a 980Ti smile.gif
Is this sound logic?

After looking at many cards and reviews, I'm a little concerned about some of the support offered by vendors. Specifically, honoring their warranties and using serial based RMA's.
I'm worried about spending 350-400 bones on a DOA card (seems to be happening a lot more these days) that would be difficult to get replaced. So what are your experiences with the big names? Who should I go with, or stay away, etc?

Motherboard recommendations also welcome wink.gif
post #2 of 22
With regards to warranty, I'd say most would agree that EVGA has the best warranty in the business, its reflected in their prices to be honest in both motherboards and GPU's. I've also had good luck with Gigabyte over the past few years only in the GPU realm though.

I've had to RMA a few items over the years and I'm thankful most were all with EVGA, that's not to say that EVGA has a problem, they just have the best experience and whenever I do call tech I feel I can trust the guy on the other line.
post #3 of 22
That cross shipping from EVGA saved my ass a few times in the past... not like the current ordeal I am going through with MSI and a dead motherboard... not having a computer for up to three weeks is no fun at all.
The MJ Project
(27 items)
 
Plexonator
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-5820k MSI X99S Krait EVGA 980 Ti SC Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR4 2666 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO Samsung 840 EVO Western Digital 1TB Black Western Digital 1 TB Black 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC AX360 Primochill Revolver Fittings Primochill PETG Tubing Clear Alphacool Pump 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC AX240 XSPC Raystorm Pro White XSPC Razor 980/980Ti Block Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 150 Windows 10 Home Asus PB278Q Corsair K70 RGB 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA 1000w P2 Fractal Design Define S Logitech G602 Glorious PC Gaming Race Extended Black 
AudioAudioAudio
Schiit Modi 2 JBL LSR305 White Schiit Magni 2 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor Asus H170I-Plus D3 Mini ITX LGA1151 Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Microsoft Windows 10 Logitech K800 
PowerCase
Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX 
  hide details  
Reply
The MJ Project
(27 items)
 
Plexonator
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-5820k MSI X99S Krait EVGA 980 Ti SC Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR4 2666 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO Samsung 840 EVO Western Digital 1TB Black Western Digital 1 TB Black 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC AX360 Primochill Revolver Fittings Primochill PETG Tubing Clear Alphacool Pump 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC AX240 XSPC Raystorm Pro White XSPC Razor 980/980Ti Block Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 150 Windows 10 Home Asus PB278Q Corsair K70 RGB 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA 1000w P2 Fractal Design Define S Logitech G602 Glorious PC Gaming Race Extended Black 
AudioAudioAudio
Schiit Modi 2 JBL LSR305 White Schiit Magni 2 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor Asus H170I-Plus D3 Mini ITX LGA1151 Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Microsoft Windows 10 Logitech K800 
PowerCase
Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 22
Powercolor seems to be good wiyh their warranty and the 390 pcs+ is 280 at newegg
post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgtnubb View Post

With regards to warranty, I'd say most would agree that EVGA has the best warranty in the business, its reflected in their prices to be honest in both motherboards and GPU's. I've also had good luck with Gigabyte over the past few years only in the GPU realm though.

I've had to RMA a few items over the years and I'm thankful most were all with EVGA, that's not to say that EVGA has a problem, they just have the best experience and whenever I do call tech I feel I can trust the guy on the other line.

Does EVGA do serial based warranty?

Prices are definitely higher, for boards with even less features. TBF tho that was only a quick scan at Newegg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazilianloser View Post

That cross shipping from EVGA saved my ass a few times in the past... not like the current ordeal I am going through with MSI and a dead motherboard... not having a computer for up to three weeks is no fun at all.

Cross shipping? Please explain thumb.gif

Whats the issue with MSI? This one seems to have a lot a reviews complaining about there service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

Powercolor seems to be good wiyh their warranty and the 390 pcs+ is 280 at newegg

Here's one of the recent reviews on NE;

**Defective on arrival. First fan (closest to outside) works fine, Second fan is wobbly and grates against its mounts causing terrible noise, Third fan completely dead. This right out of the box! Its as if no testing or quality control went into things.

**No support (it seems). I tried to RMA on their site with no luck whatsoever. They have you jump through too many hoops on the broken site. You have to sign up for some "VIP member" thing and then consent at the same time they can share all your info with 3rd parties and THEN verify you signed up by email just to get through the process. Only the verify link doesn't work it errors out leaving your account not activated and you can't put in an RMA. I might add also this was done on a fresh installed Windows 7 with Chrome. Which means ALL those issues you "might" think could be caused by the OS and Browser from extended use? Null and Void.

So I tried to call them. EVERY department was a voicemail. Not a single person answered the phone.

At this point I was plenty frustrated and tried my final option. EMAIL. hoping they would at least answer that, I emailed support figuring it would take them up to 12hrs to respond and Blind Copied myself to ensure myself a copy (I do that ya know.. sometimes the send folder acts weird :/ ). No less than 40min later Yahoo announced it couldn't deliver the email

And here's another;

Powercolor RMA is very slow. Powercolor physically received the returned card on 1/11/16. I just got an email 14 days later stating it is now finally in their system and it would take up to another 3 weeks to process the request. I called in to their help center and now they do not have enough stock to replace my card. It has been 21 days and counting. Some manufacturers offer an advanced replacement but Powercolor does not.
post #6 of 22
Well they usually give you the option to ship a replacement to you as you are shipping the problematic product to them... i think it costs a premium this days but better than shipping the product and waiting weeks before seeing a replacement. My motherboard went out... I shipped last Monday, It arrived Thursday at their hands and still not showing received by their status tracker. Even after receiving it can take up to 15 days before they ship a replacement according to their info on the site... so basically I will be out of a computer for about a month unless they step it up.

EVGA also offers a step up program... at least they use to not sure this days. Where you can buy a card and if you get the money to upgrade you can do so through them in like 90 days paying the difference and shipping I think... I used it once but it was five+ years ago.
The MJ Project
(27 items)
 
Plexonator
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-5820k MSI X99S Krait EVGA 980 Ti SC Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR4 2666 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO Samsung 840 EVO Western Digital 1TB Black Western Digital 1 TB Black 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC AX360 Primochill Revolver Fittings Primochill PETG Tubing Clear Alphacool Pump 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC AX240 XSPC Raystorm Pro White XSPC Razor 980/980Ti Block Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 150 Windows 10 Home Asus PB278Q Corsair K70 RGB 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA 1000w P2 Fractal Design Define S Logitech G602 Glorious PC Gaming Race Extended Black 
AudioAudioAudio
Schiit Modi 2 JBL LSR305 White Schiit Magni 2 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor Asus H170I-Plus D3 Mini ITX LGA1151 Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Microsoft Windows 10 Logitech K800 
PowerCase
Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX 
  hide details  
Reply
The MJ Project
(27 items)
 
Plexonator
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-5820k MSI X99S Krait EVGA 980 Ti SC Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR4 2666 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO Samsung 840 EVO Western Digital 1TB Black Western Digital 1 TB Black 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC AX360 Primochill Revolver Fittings Primochill PETG Tubing Clear Alphacool Pump 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC AX240 XSPC Raystorm Pro White XSPC Razor 980/980Ti Block Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 150 Windows 10 Home Asus PB278Q Corsair K70 RGB 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA 1000w P2 Fractal Design Define S Logitech G602 Glorious PC Gaming Race Extended Black 
AudioAudioAudio
Schiit Modi 2 JBL LSR305 White Schiit Magni 2 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor Asus H170I-Plus D3 Mini ITX LGA1151 Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Microsoft Windows 10 Logitech K800 
PowerCase
Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazilianloser View Post

Well they usually give you the option to ship a replacement to you as you are shipping the problematic product to them... i think it costs a premium this days but better than shipping the product and waiting weeks before seeing a replacement. My motherboard went out... I shipped last Monday, It arrived Thursday at their hands and still not showing received by their status tracker. Even after receiving it can take up to 15 days before they ship a replacement according to their info on the site... so basically I will be out of a computer for about a month unless they step it up.

EVGA also offers a step up program... at least they use to not sure this days. Where you can buy a card and if you get the money to upgrade you can do so through them in like 90 days paying the difference and shipping I think... I used it once but it was five+ years ago.

Wow, that's pretty cool. Never heard of such a thing. You would think they wouldn't do that considering some people simply don't know what their doing and could be the end user's fault.
What you're doing with MSI is what I think to be the normal route.

Cant seem to find any EVGA 390's;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007709%20600565504
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSeaPirate View Post

Wow, that's pretty cool. Never heard of such a thing. You would think they wouldn't do that considering some people simply don't know what their doing and could be the end user's fault.
What you're doing with MSI is what I think to be the normal route.

Cant seem to find any EVGA 390's;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007709%20600565504
AMD AIB partners are, XFX,MSI,Sapphire,Powercolor,ASUS,Visiontek,Club3d,Gigabyte, DIamond,VTX3D,HIS

the best for 390s are
Cooling and quality wise
R9 390 PCS+, R9 390 Nitro/TriX,R9 390 Royalace/queen
Noise wise
XFX R9 390 DD, R9 390 Windforce

the pcs+ are quite reliable in general they are the best designed(also sapphire tri x...)on r9 290(same 390 gpu), also XFX but they were hotter

you can get a R9 390X at 340usd After rebate plus a hitman game
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150727
or
the R9 390 PCs+ for 280usd AR+ a free hitman game
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131672
Edited by PontiacGTX - 2/28/16 at 11:30am
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgtnubb View Post

With regards to warranty, I'd say most would agree that EVGA has the best warranty in the business, its reflected in their prices to be honest in both motherboards and GPU's. I've also had good luck with Gigabyte over the past few years only in the GPU realm though.

I've had to RMA a few items over the years and I'm thankful most were all with EVGA, that's not to say that EVGA has a problem, they just have the best experience and whenever I do call tech I feel I can trust the guy on the other line.
My experience with them hasn't been pleasant regarding RMA's, neither has their card cooling and "silent" fans.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
But I swear I got two bad cards in a row, no way people praise this company so much...
post #10 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

AMD AIB partners are, XFX,MSI,Sapphire,Powercolor,ASUS,Visiontek,Club3d,Gigabyte, DIamond,VTX3D,HIS

the best for 390s are
Cooling and quality wise
R9 390 PCS+, R9 390 Nitro/TriX,R9 390 Royalace/queen
Noise wise
XFX R9 390 DD, R9 390 Windforce

the pcs+ are quite reliable in general they are the best designed(also sapphire tri x...)on r9 290(same 390 gpu), also XFX but they were hotter

you can get a R9 390X at 340usd After rebate plus a hitman game
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150727
or
the R9 390 PCs+ for 280usd AR+ a free hitman game
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131672

Im not sure what you mean by AIB partners. Im thinking these are the only ones that make AMD GPU based cards.

Again, PowerColor is out, look at those reviews.

Cant find Royalace unless you're referring me to a casino wink.gif

Reports are indeed saying XFX has some coil whine. All my cads so far have been XFX and not one has died yet. I may go with them.

Sapphaire also looks like it might be a good choice.

I dont see any MSI 390's in stock, so I guess thats out anyway.

I think Im leaning ASUS (depending on my exchange with them as of right now) or XFX. Thoughts on XFX?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Difficulty finding the right video card - Best Brand? RMA?