Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [VESA] Publishes DisplayPort™ Standard Version 1.4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[VESA] Publishes DisplayPort™ Standard Version 1.4 - Page 4

post #31 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophobe View Post

I said... rolleyes.gif a new spec superior to what is currently being used. Gsync is by most reports is slightly better than Freesync but with a cost burden, why would nvidia downgrade? Learn to freaking read already.

Learn about the technologies before you yell at others?
GSync was better because the module allowed Nvidia's tech to douple and tripple frames as the refresh got really low, below the VRR window. This made the tech much smoother than AMD. AMD has since implemented the same thing through the driver and thus it is the same now. Give us an example of how you possibly think there could be a "superior version" of variable refresh, because without your example no one knows what the heck you are ranting about since we are explaining everything and you keep yelling how we are all somehow wrong about it all.

The only thing I could possibly think of to make VRR spec better would be the including of something to control the monitor backlight with the VRR, but that probably wouldnt ever be done in a connectivity spec in the first place and would be insanely difficult to pull off without swings in brightness all over the place. But again, such a thing wouldnt be for the connectivity spec anyway.
Edited by EniGma1987 - 3/1/16 at 11:41pm
Gaming
(17 items)
 
Gaming PC
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
7700K AS Rock Z170 OC Formula Titan X Pascal 2050MHz 64GB DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34-1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
950 EVO m.2 OS drive 850 EVO 1TB games drive Intel 730 series 500GB games drive Custom water cooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Pro x64 AMH A399U E-Element mechanical, black switches, Vortex b... EVGA G3 1kw 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Lian-Li PC-V1000L Redragon M901 LH Labs Pulse X Infinity DAC Custom built balanced tube amp with SS diamond ... 
Audio
MrSpeakers Alpha Prime 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming
(17 items)
 
Gaming PC
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
7700K AS Rock Z170 OC Formula Titan X Pascal 2050MHz 64GB DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34-1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
950 EVO m.2 OS drive 850 EVO 1TB games drive Intel 730 series 500GB games drive Custom water cooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Pro x64 AMH A399U E-Element mechanical, black switches, Vortex b... EVGA G3 1kw 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Lian-Li PC-V1000L Redragon M901 LH Labs Pulse X Infinity DAC Custom built balanced tube amp with SS diamond ... 
Audio
MrSpeakers Alpha Prime 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post

Learn about the technologies before you yell at others?
GSync was better because the module allowed Nvidia's tech to douple and tripple frames as the refresh got really low, below the VRR window. This made the tech much smoother than AMD. AMD has since implemented the same thing through the driver and thus it is the same now. Give us an example of how you possibly think there could be a "superior version" of variable refresh, because without your example no one knows what the heck you are ranting about since we are explaining everything and you keep yelling how we are all somehow wrong about it all.

The only thing I could possibly think of to make VRR spec better would be the including of something to control the monitor backlight with the VRR, but that probably wouldnt ever be done in a connectivity spec in the first place and would be insanely difficult to pull off without swings in brightness all over the place. But again, such a thing wouldnt be for the connectivity spec anyway.

AMD has fixed low refresh frame smoothing that Gsync didn't suffer from? I didn't know that. I didn't realize that "it's the same now"... your words.

And that being said, /facepalm, I'm not an engineer, I certainly don't work for VESA nor would I or ANY OF YOU be any more competent at creating any digital transport protocols. Or is that something you actually do for a living? Or do you just like to pretend on forums? tongue.gif
Edited by xenophobe - 3/1/16 at 11:47pm
The Big Ugly 2.5
(13 items)
 
Spectre x360
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k Asus P8P67 B3 MSI GTX 1080 Ti 16GB Corsair XMS3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Barracuda 7200.12 1TB Hitachi 7K3000 2TB Pioneer BDR-206D 
OSMonitorPowerCase
W7 Pro x64 Dell U3415W Corsair AX850 Corsair 600T 
Mouse
Logitech G500 
CPURAMHard DriveOS
i7 6500U 8GB DDL3L 256GB M.2  Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardCase
2560 x 1440 Touchscreen Awesome! Aluminum Billet 
  hide details  
Reply
The Big Ugly 2.5
(13 items)
 
Spectre x360
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k Asus P8P67 B3 MSI GTX 1080 Ti 16GB Corsair XMS3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Barracuda 7200.12 1TB Hitachi 7K3000 2TB Pioneer BDR-206D 
OSMonitorPowerCase
W7 Pro x64 Dell U3415W Corsair AX850 Corsair 600T 
Mouse
Logitech G500 
CPURAMHard DriveOS
i7 6500U 8GB DDL3L 256GB M.2  Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardCase
2560 x 1440 Touchscreen Awesome! Aluminum Billet 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophobe View Post

AMD has fixed low refresh frame smoothing that Gsync didn't suffer from? I didn't know that. I didn't realize that "it's the same now"... your words.

And that being said, /facepalm, I'm not an engineer, I certainly don't work for VESA nor would I or ANY OF YOU be any more competent at creating any digital transport protocols. Or is that something you actually do for a living? Or do you just like to pretend on forums? tongue.gif


Hahaha. So, your saying it is impossible to think of an example feature that you think could make something better since you are not an enginner who designs specs? Your digging this hole deeper for yourself with every post...
Gaming
(17 items)
 
Gaming PC
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
7700K AS Rock Z170 OC Formula Titan X Pascal 2050MHz 64GB DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34-1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
950 EVO m.2 OS drive 850 EVO 1TB games drive Intel 730 series 500GB games drive Custom water cooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Pro x64 AMH A399U E-Element mechanical, black switches, Vortex b... EVGA G3 1kw 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Lian-Li PC-V1000L Redragon M901 LH Labs Pulse X Infinity DAC Custom built balanced tube amp with SS diamond ... 
Audio
MrSpeakers Alpha Prime 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming
(17 items)
 
Gaming PC
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
7700K AS Rock Z170 OC Formula Titan X Pascal 2050MHz 64GB DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34-1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
950 EVO m.2 OS drive 850 EVO 1TB games drive Intel 730 series 500GB games drive Custom water cooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Pro x64 AMH A399U E-Element mechanical, black switches, Vortex b... EVGA G3 1kw 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Lian-Li PC-V1000L Redragon M901 LH Labs Pulse X Infinity DAC Custom built balanced tube amp with SS diamond ... 
Audio
MrSpeakers Alpha Prime 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophobe View Post

AMD has fixed low refresh frame smoothing that Gsync didn't suffer from? I didn't know that. I didn't realize that "it's the same now"... your words.

And that being said, /facepalm, I'm not an engineer, I certainly don't work for VESA nor would I or ANY OF YOU be any more competent at creating any digital transport protocols. Or is that something you actually do for a living? Or do you just like to pretend on forums? tongue.gif

I feel like you commented in this thread thinking that the VESA open standard "adaptive sync" = freesync, and made the leap to adaptive sync being AMD proprietary technology. I also feel like you then proceeded to lay blame on others for not being able to understand you, and in an attempt to save face, you tried to pass on a new point as what you were originally trying to say.

Imma make it real simple for you. A-sync is like a video game that can work on any graphics chip... all the companies need to do is put out a driver that allows their chip to work with the game. Free-sync is the "driver". The only difference from that example and this sync technology, is that the graphics card also needs to use display port... and actually that is not even going to be necessary in the future (iirc hdmi is getting support soon).

Would have been much easier for you to just go.. "oh, ok." and move on....
Sorry AMD
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-8400 ROG STRIX Z370-I GAMING ZOTAC GTX 1080 Ti Mini 16gb Gskill Ripjaw V 3600mhz CL16 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
256gb m.2 Crucial noctua nh-l9i Windows 10 Pro AOC G2460PF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Mechanical Eagle Z-77 (Cheap) Corsair SF600 Fractal Design Node 202 Logitech G400 
Audio
Sennheiser PC 350 (hero mod) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen™ 1700 Asrock Fatal1ty x370 Gaming K4 Zotac mini GTX 1080ti TridentZ 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
256GB M.2 SSD 1TB HDD Windows 10 Pro Acer XG270HU 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 750W Thermaltake Toughpower Gold Rated Thermaltake View 27 w/ riser Logitech G40 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
fx-8350 @5ghz 990fxa-ud3 rev 1.1 PowerColor 290x @1150/1500mhz Gskill 8gig 1600mhz (2x4) @2033 mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
1TB WD Caviar Black rs360 raystorm kit Windows 8 Pro 700 Watt Corsair 
CaseMouse
HAF 912  Logitech G400 
  hide details  
Reply
Sorry AMD
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-8400 ROG STRIX Z370-I GAMING ZOTAC GTX 1080 Ti Mini 16gb Gskill Ripjaw V 3600mhz CL16 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
256gb m.2 Crucial noctua nh-l9i Windows 10 Pro AOC G2460PF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Mechanical Eagle Z-77 (Cheap) Corsair SF600 Fractal Design Node 202 Logitech G400 
Audio
Sennheiser PC 350 (hero mod) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen™ 1700 Asrock Fatal1ty x370 Gaming K4 Zotac mini GTX 1080ti TridentZ 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
256GB M.2 SSD 1TB HDD Windows 10 Pro Acer XG270HU 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 750W Thermaltake Toughpower Gold Rated Thermaltake View 27 w/ riser Logitech G40 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
fx-8350 @5ghz 990fxa-ud3 rev 1.1 PowerColor 290x @1150/1500mhz Gskill 8gig 1600mhz (2x4) @2033 mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
1TB WD Caviar Black rs360 raystorm kit Windows 8 Pro 700 Watt Corsair 
CaseMouse
HAF 912  Logitech G400 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowarez View Post

Might see dp 1.4 by 2021 if were lucky now thats its done wait another 5-6 years till its actually used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post

i bet longer, if it ever is mainstream, ...

There were cases when introduction of new technology was delayed or got chaotic due to the lack of standards. Situation when the standard is ready waiting for the implementation is much healthier and it gives incentive for faster implementation.
post #36 of 74
RIP HDMI 2.0
post #37 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargonplay View Post

Please explain how in earth Gsync is better than FreeSync? They both accomplish the same thing, getting rid of tearing, they both successfully and flawlessly work when comparing both solutions on the latest drivers and monitors, and the only thing they differ is their input lag, on which FreeSync wins by a long mile when not using Vsync and Gsync wins when using Vsync to cap the FPS at high refresh rates (144FPS) while freesync wins with Vsync on at low FPS (45FPS) and Nvidia wins at 45 FPS with Vsync Off.

How is Gsync better? No BS please.

As far as I'm aware Freesync works at minimum 45 FPS, and that gives the upper hand to Gsync which works at minimum 30 FPS. Also, out of personal experience with the two I'd say Gsync works far better at getting rid of tearing. I'm not an Nvidia, or AMD fanboy.

There are other things that give the edge to Nvidias Gsync as well, but I sadly can't remember them atm.

P.S: It could have been related to the monitors I tested.
post #38 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post

As far as I'm aware Freesync works at minimum 45 FPS, and that gives the upper hand to Gsync which works at minimum 30 FPS. Also, out of personal experience with the two I'd say Gsync works far better at getting rid of tearing. I'm not an Nvidia, or AMD fanboy.

There are other things that give the edge to Nvidias Gsync as well, but I sadly can't remember them atm.

P.S: It could have been related to the monitors I tested.
I'll humour you a bit and ask you what monitors were these that you tested and when was this?
post #39 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugSeven View Post

I'll humour you a bit and ask you what monitors were these that you tested and when was this?

Are you sure that you'll humor me? smile.gif

I tried the AOC G2460VQ6 and the Freesync span was between 48 to 75. There are other monitors that have a higher span, obviously. Hence why I said it might be related to the monitor I have tested.

Edit: So, I asked a friend about his monitor on steam which is a MG279Q and apparently it only works at the span 35 to 90hz which means you need to cap your fps under 90, or less to enjoy Freesync.
Edited by Pragmatist - 3/2/16 at 3:56am
post #40 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post

Are you sure that you'll humor me? smile.gif

I tried the AOC G2460VQ6 and the Freesync span was between 48 to 75. There are other monitors that have a higher span, obviously. Hence why I said it might be related to the monitor I have tested.

Edit: So, I asked a friend about his monitor on steam which is a MG279Q and apparently it only works at the span 35 to 90hz which means you need to cap your fps under 90, or less to enjoy Freesync.
So everything you know about freesync is informed by that AOC and a friend's MG279Q? Google freesync monitors for a more pragmatic view point.smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [VESA] Publishes DisplayPort™ Standard Version 1.4