Overclock.net › Forums › Hardware Vendors › Case Labs › Something Small (and Wicked) This Way Comes...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Something Small (and Wicked) This Way Comes... - Page 269

post #2681 of 2685
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovyrshin View Post

I've ordered BH8 for exactly this: VM sever with virtual desktop. Now I got in stock server case(tower). While there's nothing bad, I want something better looking.
Have to order fans/coolers and etc, so info on this page is appreciated.

What OS you using for the VM?

I have never set one up so I am not sure what I can do effectively/efficiently. I also don't know if a threadripper would be better for such a task or if Ryzen 7 1700 would be enough. This is not going to be a gaming only rig so I am willing to settle for slightly lower max FPS for this build.

This is the delimma I am facing:

Current PC is 955BE CPU w/ GTX 970

I was thinking about taking the CPU, MOBO, RAM, and PSU and building a server in a cheap case.

Selling my M8 and building something smaller that can still support watercooling.

OR build something with the VM server.

I figure with the 8 core options from AMD right now that i can have just 1 core dedicated to the server and keep 7 for the main PC for work and gaming.

If I can get $350-400 for my M8 then the funds will probably be fine for doing this because if I go the separate server route I would probably just build a R5 1600X based PC and use that money saved for a better PSU that does not spin up the fan until more wattage is used.

Now the other option is going this route with the BH8

Selling M8 and XE360 rad and rebuilding in the BH8 with 240/280 rads with current electronics until I can upgrade.

The tradeoff would be i guess that the BH8 can't hold as many HDDs as a dedicated case or the M8 so now I am trying to figure out just how many terabytes I really need for a media server. I am sure my neighbor would be interested in buying my XE360 rad from me to I could get a 140.2....

Regardless, I am probably over thinking this...
post #2682 of 2685
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrayniak View Post

What OS you using for the VM?
I'm running ESXi as hypervisor. Have multiple VM for desktops (Windows, Mac OS X), some VM for internal things (NAS and so on), and some spare resources (CPU/Memory) for testing my own stuff. Overall I'm using that config for a long time (several years I think) but moved to a beefy server just recently. I'm about to start a build log here, so you can get some useful info there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrayniak View Post

I have never set one up so I am not sure what I can do effectively/efficiently. I also don't know if a threadripper would be better for such a task or if Ryzen 7 1700 would be enough. This is not going to be a gaming only rig so I am willing to settle for slightly lower max FPS for this build.
Depends on how much $ you wanna spend. I have some benchmarks (bare metal vs hypervisor+one VM) and results are totally acceptable for me (5% less performance).
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrayniak View Post

This is the delimma I am facing:
Current PC is 955BE CPU w/ GTX 970
I was thinking about taking the CPU, MOBO, RAM, and PSU and building a server in a cheap case.
Selling my M8 and building something smaller that can still support watercooling.
OR build something with the VM server.
I figure with the 8 core options from AMD right now that i can have just 1 core dedicated to the server and keep 7 for the main PC for work and gaming.

It's offtopic here, but shortly: do you need VM server to be powerful (i.e. intense testing, machine learning, etc? or not?), do you need it 24/7? Do you have your gaming rig 24/7? Do you wanna move storage to that server and so on
I'm going with Xeon, for a total of 28cores (56 threads). A bit overkill probably wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrayniak View Post

The tradeoff would be i guess that the BH8 can't hold as many HDDs as a dedicated case or the M8 so now I am trying to figure out just how many terabytes I really need for a media server. I am sure my neighbor would be interested in buying my XE360 rad from me to I could get a 140.2....
I'm about to put 6xHDDs in BH8. 6x4Tb is 24Tb RAW, which will end up like 16TB in RAID6 (two redundant drives). For me it's more then enough, and I can go with smaller drives.

ps. I was considering something like M8 (or STH) myself, but new one is quite pricey (and I'm not doing watercooling, at least for now). And finding used one in is quite hard. If you already have it(and ok with dimensions), I'd stay with M8.
post #2683 of 2685
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovyrshin View Post

I'm running ESXi as hypervisor. Have multiple VM for desktops (Windows, Mac OS X), some VM for internal things (NAS and so on), and some spare resources (CPU/Memory) for testing my own stuff. Overall I'm using that config for a long time (several years I think) but moved to a beefy server just recently. I'm about to start a build log here, so you can get some useful info there.
Depends on how much $ you wanna spend. I have some benchmarks (bare metal vs hypervisor+one VM) and results are totally acceptable for me (5% less performance).
It's offtopic here, but shortly: do you need VM server to be powerful (i.e. intense testing, machine learning, etc? or not?), do you need it 24/7? Do you have your gaming rig 24/7? Do you wanna move storage to that server and so on
I'm going with Xeon, for a total of 28cores (56 threads). A bit overkill probably wink.gif
I'm about to put 6xHDDs in BH8. 6x4Tb is 24Tb RAW, which will end up like 16TB in RAID6 (two redundant drives). For me it's more then enough, and I can go with smaller drives.

ps. I was considering something like M8 (or STH) myself, but new one is quite pricey (and I'm not doing watercooling, at least for now). And finding used one in is quite hard. If you already have it(and ok with dimensions), I'd stay with M8.

PMing you to not take this thread too far off into left field.
post #2684 of 2685
Do you do GPU passthrough? I am thinking a BH8 with Threadripper 16 cores running Windows VM just for games, Photoshop, Soldworks, etc.
post #2685 of 2685
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumford View Post

Do you do GPU passthrough? I am thinking a BH8 with Threadripper 16 cores running Windows VM just for games, Photoshop, Soldworks, etc.
Exactly. Works perfectly fine. I got two crapy cards now, but it worked with Windows and Mac OS X running at the same time. Will likely get a pair of identical mid-range cards.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Case Labs
Overclock.net › Forums › Hardware Vendors › Case Labs › Something Small (and Wicked) This Way Comes...