Overclock.net › Forums › Overclockers Care › Overclock.net BOINC Team › 7th BOINC Pentathlon - June 5th-19th 2016
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

7th BOINC Pentathlon - June 5th-19th 2016 - Page 125

post #1241 of 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic8192 View Post

Scubadiver59 has some 4P stuff for sale. He might give a folder/boincer a discount?

I've already PM'd him. Haven't heard back yet. Wish I could afford the quad Intel 12C setup.....
post #1242 of 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithanul View Post

I been curious about this. Can the Pi 3s BOINC? Been planning to get one to mess around with and learn some coding with.

I think so. I have the Raspberry Pi 2, and it can run a (very) few projects. The only difference that would cause a problem is that the Pi 3 has an Arm8 processor instead of Arm7, but I'm not sure if that matters or not.

ATM, Einstein doesn't work properly on Raspbian because of a bug in ca-certificates. It was fixed in Debian, but hasn't gotten pushed to Raspbian last I checked.
One and Only
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4770K MSi Z87-GD65 GAMING EVGA GTX 760 SC GSkill 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate LG Blu-Ray Read/Write Hyper 212 Evo Linux Ubuntu 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer 19.5" 1600x900 Generic SPI 700W Rosewill Challenger 
MouseAudio
Generic Logitech Small Office Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
One and Only
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4770K MSi Z87-GD65 GAMING EVGA GTX 760 SC GSkill 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate LG Blu-Ray Read/Write Hyper 212 Evo Linux Ubuntu 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer 19.5" 1600x900 Generic SPI 700W Rosewill Challenger 
MouseAudio
Generic Logitech Small Office Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1243 of 1534
For a single 4P CPU someone could buy an entire 2P system with more cores. Since boinc is single thread per task it's not worth the expense to fit more cores on one motherboard.

They can be pretty to look at. Especially that task manager with all those cores.
Edited by mmonnin - 6/18/16 at 8:36pm
post #1244 of 1534
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this the best finish for OCN ever? thumb.gif

Great job everyone!

biggrin.gif
Blue Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
W3670 4.0 GHz (HT On) 1.345v 24/7 Asus P6X58D Premium DUAL EVGA GTX 560 Ti SC 1G in SLI 12G Corsair Dominator GT2000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Kingston V300 120G SSD, 2x 1TB Barracuda HD's LG BlueRay/LightScribe Burner Windows 7 Pro 64Bit 3x24", 1x22" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Wireless Logitech K320 ULTRA X4 1200W Custom Danger Den LDR-29 Wireless Logitech M310 
Mouse Pad
Custom 
  hide details  
Reply
Blue Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
W3670 4.0 GHz (HT On) 1.345v 24/7 Asus P6X58D Premium DUAL EVGA GTX 560 Ti SC 1G in SLI 12G Corsair Dominator GT2000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Kingston V300 120G SSD, 2x 1TB Barracuda HD's LG BlueRay/LightScribe Burner Windows 7 Pro 64Bit 3x24", 1x22" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Wireless Logitech K320 ULTRA X4 1200W Custom Danger Den LDR-29 Wireless Logitech M310 
Mouse Pad
Custom 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1245 of 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonnin View Post

For a single 4P CPU someone could buy an entire 2P system with more cores. Since boinc is single thread per task it's not worth the expense to fit more cores on one motherboard.

They can be pretty to look at. Especially that task manager with all those cores.

If it is all about money then 4P is not even a consideration. I have 2 4P rigs and I don't regret getting them and I have no plan to get rid of them, they are awesome!
post #1246 of 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thKor View Post

I've already PM'd him. Haven't heard back yet. Wish I could afford the quad Intel 12C setup.....

From what I have seen, the 2P v4 2011 chips are monsters. I am going to work on getting one of those to play with this year.

I have been underwhelmed with my arm v7 processor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1954 View Post

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this the best finish for OCN ever? thumb.gif

Great job everyone!

biggrin.gif

Yes, our previous best was 7th in 2013, but this is now our best thumb.gif
post #1247 of 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSluether View Post

I think so. I have the Raspberry Pi 2, and it can run a (very) few projects. The only difference that would cause a problem is that the Pi 3 has an Arm8 processor instead of Arm7, but I'm not sure if that matters or not.

ATM, Einstein doesn't work properly on Raspbian because of a bug in ca-certificates. It was fixed in Debian, but hasn't gotten pushed to Raspbian last I checked.

That shouldn't matter, ARMv8 can run ARMv7 code without problems, generally. I would highly recommend getting some kind of heatsink, though; the Pi 3's SoC tends to run very hot, from what I've heard.
SPEAR
(22 items)
 
Laptop #3
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Gigabyte WF3 Radeon R9 270X x2 G.Skill Ripjaws X 4x4gb @ 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Agility 3 120gb (Linux) OCZ Agility 3 120gb (Windows) WD Caviar Black 2tb Hitachi 500gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Sony Optiarc LightScribe LaCie external BluRay writer Antec Kühler H2O 920 + Corsair SP120 P/P Arch Linux + radeonsi + E20 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro (Insider release) ASUS VS238H-V @ 70hz Corsair K90 Corsair TX750 V2 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
None CM Storm Recon Altec Lansing ATP3 Creative Aurvana Live! 
OtherOther
Masscool Shin-Etsu G751 ASUS PCE-N10 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4980HQ @ 2.8/4.0GHz Intel Iris Pro 5200 AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2x8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
1TB PCIe SSD OS X 10.11.2 El Capitan 15" @ 2880x1800 
  hide details  
Reply
SPEAR
(22 items)
 
Laptop #3
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Gigabyte WF3 Radeon R9 270X x2 G.Skill Ripjaws X 4x4gb @ 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Agility 3 120gb (Linux) OCZ Agility 3 120gb (Windows) WD Caviar Black 2tb Hitachi 500gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Sony Optiarc LightScribe LaCie external BluRay writer Antec Kühler H2O 920 + Corsair SP120 P/P Arch Linux + radeonsi + E20 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro (Insider release) ASUS VS238H-V @ 70hz Corsair K90 Corsair TX750 V2 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
None CM Storm Recon Altec Lansing ATP3 Creative Aurvana Live! 
OtherOther
Masscool Shin-Etsu G751 ASUS PCE-N10 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4980HQ @ 2.8/4.0GHz Intel Iris Pro 5200 AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2x8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
1TB PCIe SSD OS X 10.11.2 El Capitan 15" @ 2880x1800 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1248 of 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithanul View Post

I been curious about this. Can the Pi 3s BOINC? Been planning to get one to mess around with and learn some coding with.

Though, I plan to buy a 2P system and install on the bench I have now. Got enough radiators, may setup it up with quick disconnects.

Supposedly they can. Finding actual guides and information is difficult though, because so many of the boinc forums they're all "oh, just check this master thread".... A thread that has eight bajillion pages, and no links in the OP. My biggest "problem" is that by comparison, there aren't that many projects that truly nab my attention that support RPi (well, okay, there's Einstein@Home, and then maybe Universe@Home and SETI@Home). Versus things like the ODroid's, where on some projects you can get a million points (or more) in a month if you have 8-10 devices, and Android support is more widespread (Einstein@Home, GPUGrid, Rosetta@Home, and World Community Grid all come to mind pretty quickly for projects I've run a decent amount in the past, and three of them mesh with my main "pursuits" that I want to get whatever computational power I have on tap)...

Or, in short, I love the idea of getting say 10 Raspberry Pi's and maybe even 15 of the ODroid XU4's, but while they have that insane amount of power efficiency going, I have this nagging feeling that it would be "easier" to "sneak" 3x 2P setups into the place. The crazed one that likes to tweak and mess around with things in the back of my mind sure loves the idea of 25 miniature devices cranking out a reasonably decent amount of research, especially since we could just put them in the bedroom (or even on my "old" desk - I'm swapping my main rig back to the Obutto R3volution so the desk hubby and I built back in March is looking slightly bare, for the moment anyways), and doubly so because even with all those small devices going they wouldn't take up that much power (they take up what, 4W of power when fully loaded?)

We'll see though, because finding results (or even people who've stuck with it long term) seems to be difficult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSluether View Post

I think so. I have the Raspberry Pi 2, and it can run a (very) few projects. The only difference that would cause a problem is that the Pi 3 has an Arm8 processor instead of Arm7, but I'm not sure if that matters or not.

ATM, Einstein doesn't work properly on Raspbian because of a bug in ca-certificates. It was fixed in Debian, but hasn't gotten pushed to Raspbian last I checked.

Interesting to know.
JägerWulfe
(19 items)
 
 
Gigadestroyer
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4770K Gigabyte Z87X-OC MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G Golden Edition G.Skill Triden-X 16GB DDR3-2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 2TB SATA3 Maxtor 2TB Black LG DVD-RW Cryorig R1 ultimate 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit BenQ VP2210 BenQ VP2210 Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNova 1000G2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Roccat Nyth Steel Series Worgen 
AudioAudioAudio
JDS Labs O2 + ODAC Rev.B AKG K712 Audio Technica ATH-M50X 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 780 Classified Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Kingston 64GB SSDnow 200 CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Pro 240 Windows 7 64 Bit Dell E2213H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 v2 EVGA 1000w G2 Open Bench Table Corsair M95 
Mouse Pad
3' wide battle mat 
  hide details  
Reply
JägerWulfe
(19 items)
 
 
Gigadestroyer
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4770K Gigabyte Z87X-OC MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G Golden Edition G.Skill Triden-X 16GB DDR3-2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 2TB SATA3 Maxtor 2TB Black LG DVD-RW Cryorig R1 ultimate 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit BenQ VP2210 BenQ VP2210 Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNova 1000G2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Roccat Nyth Steel Series Worgen 
AudioAudioAudio
JDS Labs O2 + ODAC Rev.B AKG K712 Audio Technica ATH-M50X 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 780 Classified Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Kingston 64GB SSDnow 200 CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Pro 240 Windows 7 64 Bit Dell E2213H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 v2 EVGA 1000w G2 Open Bench Table Corsair M95 
Mouse Pad
3' wide battle mat 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1249 of 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWulfe View Post

Supposedly they can. Finding actual guides and information is difficult though, because so many of the boinc forums they're all "oh, just check this master thread".... A thread that has eight bajillion pages, and no links in the OP. My biggest "problem" is that by comparison, there aren't that many projects that truly nab my attention that support RPi (well, okay, there's Einstein@Home, and then maybe Universe@Home and SETI@Home). Versus things like the ODroid's, where on some projects you can get a million points (or more) in a month if you have 8-10 devices, and Android support is more widespread (Einstein@Home, GPUGrid, Rosetta@Home, and World Community Grid all come to mind pretty quickly for projects I've run a decent amount in the past, and three of them mesh with my main "pursuits" that I want to get whatever computational power I have on tap)...

Or, in short, I love the idea of getting say 10 Raspberry Pi's and maybe even 15 of the ODroid XU4's, but while they have that insane amount of power efficiency going, I have this nagging feeling that it would be "easier" to "sneak" 3x 2P setups into the place. The crazed one that likes to tweak and mess around with things in the back of my mind sure loves the idea of 25 miniature devices cranking out a reasonably decent amount of research, especially since we could just put them in the bedroom (or even on my "old" desk - I'm swapping my main rig back to the Obutto R3volution so the desk hubby and I built back in March is looking slightly bare, for the moment anyways), and doubly so because even with all those small devices going they wouldn't take up that much power (they take up what, 4W of power when fully loaded?)

We'll see though, because finding results (or even people who've stuck with it long term) seems to be difficult.
Interesting to know.

Hehe, got the same issue like me.

I just love messing with hardware. Peeps in the Guard unit have learn to not get me on the subject. tongue.gif I usually will talk their ear off, but when ever someone has a question on hardware. I am the one they come to.

Basically I probably being doing little projects with a Pi 3, but be neat in between to do some BOINCing on it. First project is making that auto water controller I read in a Linux magazine. I so want to fool around with that since I am working on my garden. Huh....I wonder if there a way to smack PH and water level readers on one.

Especially since I do plan to build an aquaponics garden later on this year or next.
 
Black Dragon
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
5960X Gigabyte X99-UD3P GTX 1080Ti FTW3 (soon) GTX 1080 Ti SC (soon) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
GSkill TridentZ 32GB 3200MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Crucial m4 512GB Seagate Barracuda 3TB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK EVO Monsoon Premium Bay Res v.2/ Vero D5 pump insta... HWLab Black Ice 360/ 3x eLoops in Push/Pull Phobya 200/ Cooler Master Mega Flow Fan in Push 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Overlord 1440P Corsair K70 Vengeance Corsair AX1200W 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Haf X Modded Logitech G500s 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1900X ASUS PRIME X399-A GTX960 FTW @ 1552MHz / Stock volts Corsair Dominators 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Intel SSD Corsair H55/Kraken G10 on GTX960 Mint Mate 18.2 Corsair AX1200i 
Case
Fractal Define S 
CPUOSCase
Intel Core i3 Ubuntu 14.04LTS Toshiba Satellite Ultrabook 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Black Dragon
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
5960X Gigabyte X99-UD3P GTX 1080Ti FTW3 (soon) GTX 1080 Ti SC (soon) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
GSkill TridentZ 32GB 3200MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Crucial m4 512GB Seagate Barracuda 3TB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK EVO Monsoon Premium Bay Res v.2/ Vero D5 pump insta... HWLab Black Ice 360/ 3x eLoops in Push/Pull Phobya 200/ Cooler Master Mega Flow Fan in Push 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Overlord 1440P Corsair K70 Vengeance Corsair AX1200W 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Haf X Modded Logitech G500s 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1900X ASUS PRIME X399-A GTX960 FTW @ 1552MHz / Stock volts Corsair Dominators 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Intel SSD Corsair H55/Kraken G10 on GTX960 Mint Mate 18.2 Corsair AX1200i 
Case
Fractal Define S 
CPUOSCase
Intel Core i3 Ubuntu 14.04LTS Toshiba Satellite Ultrabook 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1250 of 1534
Congratz to this team - awesome stuff.
Love the Bronze medal. wheee.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Overclock.net BOINC Team
Overclock.net › Forums › Overclockers Care › Overclock.net BOINC Team › 7th BOINC Pentathlon - June 5th-19th 2016