Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › LG 34UC88/34UC98/34UM88 Monitors Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LG 34UC88/34UC98/34UM88 Monitors Thread - Page 20

post #191 of 960
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADDYDC650 View Post

How is the QNIX better? I know it has a higher refresh rate but does it help you score higher in fps games? Am I missing out by not going for something like the Acer Predator x34?

By not going for something like X34 you are missing tons of quality issues and dozens of RMA exchanges.
post #192 of 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krzych04650 View Post

By not going for something like X34 you are missing tons of quality issues and dozens of RMA exchanges.

This is so spot on. I went through two x34's and a pg34 rog before finally giving up and grabbing the 34uc88. 400$ cheaper and infinantly better, I will never in my life purchase another asus or acer monitor. Lesson learned.
post #193 of 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krzych04650 View Post

By not going for something like X34 you are missing tons of quality issues and dozens of RMA exchanges.
That's the reason I didn't buy a different monitor. I knew that LG'S
newest UltraWide's have better QC. I was only asking in regards to 100Hz vs 60Hz. Is it that much of a dramatic difference that it's worth hundreds more?
Gaming PC
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN R7 1800X @4.1Ghz GA-AX370-Gaming K7 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Samsung 49KS8000 Corsair K70 RGB Corsair AX1200i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Mastercase Maker 5  Corsair M65 RGB Custom SF 49ERS mouse pad Philips X1 headphones with V-MODA BoomPro mic 
Audio
Sound BlasterX Katana 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming PC
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN R7 1800X @4.1Ghz GA-AX370-Gaming K7 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Samsung 49KS8000 Corsair K70 RGB Corsair AX1200i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Mastercase Maker 5  Corsair M65 RGB Custom SF 49ERS mouse pad Philips X1 headphones with V-MODA BoomPro mic 
Audio
Sound BlasterX Katana 
  hide details  
Reply
post #194 of 960
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADDYDC650 View Post

That's the reason I didn't buy a different monitor. I knew that LG'S
newest UltraWide's have better QC. I was only asking in regards to 100Hz vs 60Hz. Is it that much of a dramatic difference that it's worth hundreds more?

Depends. There is obvious difference, but only for specific needs. From my experience, higher refresh rate gives huge boost to cursor smoothness, which I guess translates to more responsive experience in games that are kind of similar to moving cursor around desktop, first person shooters for example, but you won't get huge benefit in actual animation smoothness.

If you are used to 60 Hz and you are not playing super fast games competitively then you won't really see that much of a benefit, especially considering that 100 FPS on 3440x1440 can be achieved in very few games other than CS GO and etc.


Also practically we are talking about quality 60 Hz monitor vs crappy 100 Hz one, so there are serious tradeoffs if getting 100 Hz option if buying right now.

So at this moment - not worth it at all. Maybe at the end of a year when some new DP 1.3 monitors will come out and 100 Hz+ 3440x1440 will be more reasonably accessible than only in overclocked to the balls panels in monitors from joke manufacturers like Asus or Acer.
Edited by Krzych04650 - 8/19/16 at 9:56pm
post #195 of 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krzych04650 View Post

Depends. There is obvious difference, but if you are used to 60 Hz and you are not playing super fast games competitively then you won't really see that much of a benefit, especially considering that 100 FPS on 3440x1440 can be achieved in very few games other than CS GO and etc.

Also practically we are talking about quality 60 Hz monitor vs crappy 100 Hz one, so there are serious tradeoffs if getting 100 Hz option if buying right now.

So at this moment - not worth it at all. Maybe at the end of a year when some new DP 1.3 monitors will come out and 100 Hz+ 3440x1440 will be more reasonably accessible than only in overclocked to the balls panels in monitors from joke manufacturers like Asus or Acer.
Good points. Might as well wait a year or two for the UltraWide/4k 144Hz monitors to be more affordable. I'll need one before Quake Champions 120Hz hits in 2018.
Gaming PC
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN R7 1800X @4.1Ghz GA-AX370-Gaming K7 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Samsung 49KS8000 Corsair K70 RGB Corsair AX1200i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Mastercase Maker 5  Corsair M65 RGB Custom SF 49ERS mouse pad Philips X1 headphones with V-MODA BoomPro mic 
Audio
Sound BlasterX Katana 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming PC
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN R7 1800X @4.1Ghz GA-AX370-Gaming K7 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Samsung 49KS8000 Corsair K70 RGB Corsair AX1200i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Mastercase Maker 5  Corsair M65 RGB Custom SF 49ERS mouse pad Philips X1 headphones with V-MODA BoomPro mic 
Audio
Sound BlasterX Katana 
  hide details  
Reply
post #196 of 960
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADDYDC650 View Post

Good points. Might as well wait a year or two for the UltraWide/4k 144Hz monitors to be more affordable. I'll sit on this bad boy until then.

To be able to drive 5120x2160 at 144 Hz you will need to wait like 5 years to such GPU power being available, and probably still need SLI/Crossfire two the most powerful ones.

Now TitanX Pascal may be able to run games like Witcher 3 maxed out without dropping below 45 FPS in
demanding areas, I mean 3440x1440, probably, but at 5120x2160 it probably won't even get 30 FPS average.

My Sapphire Fury, in Witcher 3 3440x1440, Ultra, No hairworks and only SSAO, drops to low 30s in places like Crockback Bog, and I was barely able to keep myself around 42-43 FPS on 1500 MHz 980 Ti, so you have an idea how much power you need for 3440x1440, let alone 5120x2160. Such monitors may be produced soon for productivity and 21:9 content creation purposes, but for games this just not accessible right now and won't be for a long time, without spending $2500 only for GPUs.
Edited by Krzych04650 - 8/19/16 at 10:03pm
post #197 of 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krzych04650 View Post

To be able to drive 5120x2160 at 144 Hz you will need to wait like 5 years to such GPU power being available, and probably still need SLI/Crossfire two the most powerful ones.

Now TitanX Pascal may be able to run games like Witcher 3 maxed out without dropping below 45 FPS in
demanding areas, I mean 3440x1440, probably, but at 5120x2160 it probably won't even get 30 FPS average.

My Sapphire Fury, in Witcher 3 3440x1440, Ultra, No hairworks and only SSAO, drops to low 30s in places like Crockback Bog, and I was barely able to keep myself around 42-43 FPS on 1500 MHz 980 Ti, so you have an idea how much power you need for 3440x1440, let alone 5120x2160. Such monitors may be produced soon for productivity and 21:9 content creation purposes, but for games this just not accessible right now and won't be for a long time, without spending $2500 only for GPUs.
I don't plan on keeping my Titan XP for 1-2 years. I'll have 2 of the top dogs which I'm sure will handle 4K without issue. My Titan XP should be able to handle 3440x1440p 60Hz perfectly.
Gaming PC
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN R7 1800X @4.1Ghz GA-AX370-Gaming K7 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Samsung 49KS8000 Corsair K70 RGB Corsair AX1200i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Mastercase Maker 5  Corsair M65 RGB Custom SF 49ERS mouse pad Philips X1 headphones with V-MODA BoomPro mic 
Audio
Sound BlasterX Katana 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming PC
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN R7 1800X @4.1Ghz GA-AX370-Gaming K7 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Samsung 49KS8000 Corsair K70 RGB Corsair AX1200i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Mastercase Maker 5  Corsair M65 RGB Custom SF 49ERS mouse pad Philips X1 headphones with V-MODA BoomPro mic 
Audio
Sound BlasterX Katana 
  hide details  
Reply
post #198 of 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADDYDC650 View Post

How is the QNIX better? I know it has a higher refresh rate but does it help you score higher in fps games? Am I missing out by not going for something like the Acer Predator x34?

Don't get me wrong, these 2 LG models are probably the best ultrawide monitors in the market at the moment and I wouldn't even consider the more expensive ones from other brands. They are really good for what they are, but I'm sure we can all agree that they aren't geared towards gaming. I consider them a jack of all trades type of monitor as mentioned on my last post.

For fast-paced games, you will always notice the difference for anything 100Hz+ vs 60-75Hz and I did for games like CS:GO, Overwatch, League of Legends, etc. The higher refresh rate allowed me to track my mouse/cursor and camera movements a lot quicker, so for someone who has been used to 120Hz for some years now, it took some time to adapt to a slower refresh rate. Even simple things like mouse movement in Windows or moving Word docs or Excel sheets has a smoother experience at higher refresh rates.

As an example, try moving your browser with OCN on a tab in a quick circular motion. With my UC88 @ 75Hz, the text becomes blurry and makes it almost impossible to read. Comparing that to my Qnix @ 120Hz, I can actually read the text while the browser is moving. Translating this example to gaming, I would be able to focus on targets much quicker with a higher refresh rate. To answer your question, 120Hz allowed me to react faster, but it didn't really make me a better player by any means. A faster reaction could be the difference between getting a kill or getting killed, so it depends on how competitive your level of gaming is. I'm personally more of a casual gamer nowadays, so dropping to a lower refresh rate was just a matter of adjustment.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K [Delid] Asrock Z77E-ITX EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HyperX Fury 16GB 1866 DDR3 HX318C10FBK2/16 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB Silicon Power S60 120GB Western Digital Blue Scorpio 1TB Seagate Constellation 2 1TB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech Apogee Drive II XSPC RX240+EX240 [Painted White] 5x 2150RPM Gentle Typhoons PWM [Painted Black+W... Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 80 Inline Reservoir  
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 10 LG 34UC88-B 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440 75Hz HP ZR2240w IPS Qnix QX2710 1440p 110Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
WASD CODE 87-Key [MX Clear + PBT Keycaps] Seasonix X-750 Case Labs Mercury S3 Logitech G502 
AudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 598 SE Micca OriGen 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K [Delid] Asrock Z77E-ITX EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HyperX Fury 16GB 1866 DDR3 HX318C10FBK2/16 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB Silicon Power S60 120GB Western Digital Blue Scorpio 1TB Seagate Constellation 2 1TB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech Apogee Drive II XSPC RX240+EX240 [Painted White] 5x 2150RPM Gentle Typhoons PWM [Painted Black+W... Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 80 Inline Reservoir  
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 10 LG 34UC88-B 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440 75Hz HP ZR2240w IPS Qnix QX2710 1440p 110Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
WASD CODE 87-Key [MX Clear + PBT Keycaps] Seasonix X-750 Case Labs Mercury S3 Logitech G502 
AudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 598 SE Micca OriGen 
  hide details  
Reply
post #199 of 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokin View Post

Don't get me wrong, these 2 LG models are probably the best ultrawide monitors in the market at the moment and I wouldn't even consider the more expensive ones from other brands. They are really good for what they are, but I'm sure we can all agree that they aren't geared towards gaming. I consider them a jack of all trades type of monitor as mentioned on my last post.

For fast-paced games, you will always notice the difference for anything 100Hz+ vs 60-75Hz and I did for games like CS:GO, Overwatch, League of Legends, etc. The higher refresh rate allowed me to track my mouse/cursor and camera movements a lot quicker, so for someone who has been used to 120Hz for some years now, it took some time to adapt to a slower refresh rate. Even simple things like mouse movement in Windows or moving Word docs or Excel sheets has a smoother experience at higher refresh rates.

As an example, try moving your browser with OCN on a tab in a quick circular motion. With my UC88 @ 75Hz, the text becomes blurry and makes it almost impossible to read. Comparing that to my Qnix @ 120Hz, I can actually read the text while the browser is moving. Translating this example to gaming, I would be able to focus on targets much quicker with a higher refresh rate. To answer your question, 120Hz allowed me to react faster, but it didn't really make me a better player by any means. A faster reaction could be the difference between getting a kill or getting killed, so it depends on how competitive your level of gaming is. I'm personally more of a casual gamer nowadays, so dropping to a lower refresh rate was just a matter of adjustment.
I get what you mean. I'm not a professional gamer and I don't game nearly as much as I used to. These days you'll find me playing Rocket League more than any other game.

I can imagine what you are saying in regards to smoothness but like you said, I haven't experienced 75Hz+ so 60Hz is fine. Also, not sure why folks don't consider this a gaming monitor. It plays games more than fine and looks stunning while doing so. There are better gaming monitors for sure but this one is great for casuals.
Gaming PC
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN R7 1800X @4.1Ghz GA-AX370-Gaming K7 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Samsung 49KS8000 Corsair K70 RGB Corsair AX1200i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Mastercase Maker 5  Corsair M65 RGB Custom SF 49ERS mouse pad Philips X1 headphones with V-MODA BoomPro mic 
Audio
Sound BlasterX Katana 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming PC
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN R7 1800X @4.1Ghz GA-AX370-Gaming K7 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Samsung 49KS8000 Corsair K70 RGB Corsair AX1200i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Mastercase Maker 5  Corsair M65 RGB Custom SF 49ERS mouse pad Philips X1 headphones with V-MODA BoomPro mic 
Audio
Sound BlasterX Katana 
  hide details  
Reply
post #200 of 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADDYDC650 View Post

I get what you mean. I'm not a professional gamer and I don't game nearly as much as I used to. These days you'll find me playing Rocket League more than any other game.

I can imagine what you are saying in regards to smoothness but like you said, I haven't experienced 75Hz+ so 60Hz is fine. Also, not sure why folks don't consider this a gaming monitor. It plays games more than fine and looks stunning while doing so. There are better gaming monitors for sure but this one is great for casuals.

Ahh I understand. 75Hz would be a big improvement over the standard 60Hz, but keep in mind you would need an AMD GPU to turn on Freesync and 75Hz.

Gaming monitors tend to focus on high refresh rates and low response times. While this isn't a gaming monitor per se, the huge resolution, 21:9 ratio, curvature, colors, contrast, etc. make gaming very immersive and beautiful. I played an open world MMO RPG (Black Desert Online) and it was probably the best RPG experience I've had in a very long time. I haven't had the chance to play single-player games on this monitor yet, but I am looking forward to doing so.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K [Delid] Asrock Z77E-ITX EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HyperX Fury 16GB 1866 DDR3 HX318C10FBK2/16 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB Silicon Power S60 120GB Western Digital Blue Scorpio 1TB Seagate Constellation 2 1TB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech Apogee Drive II XSPC RX240+EX240 [Painted White] 5x 2150RPM Gentle Typhoons PWM [Painted Black+W... Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 80 Inline Reservoir  
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 10 LG 34UC88-B 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440 75Hz HP ZR2240w IPS Qnix QX2710 1440p 110Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
WASD CODE 87-Key [MX Clear + PBT Keycaps] Seasonix X-750 Case Labs Mercury S3 Logitech G502 
AudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 598 SE Micca OriGen 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K [Delid] Asrock Z77E-ITX EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HyperX Fury 16GB 1866 DDR3 HX318C10FBK2/16 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB Silicon Power S60 120GB Western Digital Blue Scorpio 1TB Seagate Constellation 2 1TB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech Apogee Drive II XSPC RX240+EX240 [Painted White] 5x 2150RPM Gentle Typhoons PWM [Painted Black+W... Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 80 Inline Reservoir  
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 10 LG 34UC88-B 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440 75Hz HP ZR2240w IPS Qnix QX2710 1440p 110Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
WASD CODE 87-Key [MX Clear + PBT Keycaps] Seasonix X-750 Case Labs Mercury S3 Logitech G502 
AudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 598 SE Micca OriGen 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › LG 34UC88/34UC98/34UM88 Monitors Thread