Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Various] GTX 1080 Reviews
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Various] GTX 1080 Reviews - Page 514  

post #5131 of 6175
Quote:
Originally Posted by NABBO View Post

cool.gif

and memory over 12Gbps

That's a given, the memory on every GTX 1080 I've seen is highly overclockable.
post #5132 of 6175
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyp View Post

I posted this on the ek 1080 forum, but thought I would share it with those who are interested in watercooling the card.

I contacted EKWB and asked if there were any plans for the EVGA FTW and the Gigabyte Xtreme to receive waterblocks. Below is the response I received:

"As of now, we unfortunately have no plans to release a waterblock for the EVGA FTW or the GIGABYTE Xtreme GTX 1080s. We do have waterblocks for the ASUS Strix, MSI Gaming X, and GIGABYTE G1 Gaming cards in the works. The ASUS Strix block is due around the end of this month, but we do not have an official date for the other two currently.

Regards,
Jesse
EKWB US Support"

Well that sucks but I don't use EK stuff anyways. All I am hoping for is that Alphacool has a heatsink/plate for whichever cards I decide to get so that I can use the universal blocks from my 970's.
Computer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 Nvidia GTX 1080ti FE (EK block) CORSAIR Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo Mushkin Reactor Custom Loop Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Ben Q BL3201PT Logitech G110 EVGA 1300w Thermatake Core P5 
MouseAudio
LOGITECH G502 PROTEUS CORE Corsair 2100 
  hide details  
Computer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 Nvidia GTX 1080ti FE (EK block) CORSAIR Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo Mushkin Reactor Custom Loop Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Ben Q BL3201PT Logitech G110 EVGA 1300w Thermatake Core P5 
MouseAudio
LOGITECH G502 PROTEUS CORE Corsair 2100 
  hide details  
post #5133 of 6175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oj010 View Post



2,800 MHz done and dusted.

Is that even stable? This seems weird considering the problems people have been reporting with OCing.

Oh LN2. -102 temp. Yeah. I don't care about LN2, you're not going to be gaming while doing that so it's not a practical OC.
Edited by DIYDeath - 6/8/16 at 12:42pm
post #5134 of 6175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krgwow View Post

Hmmm
I really don't think, even with mature drivers, that we will see one day a GTX 1080 come near close to SLI 980 Ti's. Even if they are on stock...

Yep. It cracks me up when people expect (not you) performance increases through mature drivers... Nvidia is not going to give away free performance, that's not how it works with Nvidia anymore... bug fixes, yes, performance increases , not a chance in hell...lol release benchmarks is as good as it gets, and that's what the customer pays for, not future free performance increases... LMAO
Simplicity
(11 items)
 
Apotheosis
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asus Z87 Pro TBD Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 RAM 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro Dell U2713HM Alienware TactX gaming Seasonic 850W Gold  
CaseMouse
Cooler Master HAF XB Alienware TactX premium mouse 
  hide details  
Simplicity
(11 items)
 
Apotheosis
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asus Z87 Pro TBD Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 RAM 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro Dell U2713HM Alienware TactX gaming Seasonic 850W Gold  
CaseMouse
Cooler Master HAF XB Alienware TactX premium mouse 
  hide details  
post #5135 of 6175
Quote:
Originally Posted by provost View Post

Yep. It cracks me up when people expect (not you) performance increases through mature drivers... Nvidia is not going to give away free performance, that's not how it works with Nvidia anymore... bug fixes, yes, performance increases , not a chance in hell...lol release benchmarks is as good as it gets, and that's what the customer pays for, not future free performance increases... LMAO

Optimization=performance increase and drivers optimize...
post #5136 of 6175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYDeath View Post

Is that even stable? This seems weird considering the problems people have been reporting with OCing.

Oh LN2. -102 temp. Yeah. I don't care about LN2, you're not going to be gaming while doing that so it's not a practical OC.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it smile.gif
post #5137 of 6175
Quote:
Originally Posted by provost View Post

Yep. It cracks me up when people expect (not you) performance increases through mature drivers... Nvidia is not going to give away free performance, that's not how it works with Nvidia anymore... bug fixes, yes, performance increases , not a chance in hell...lol release benchmarks is as good as it gets, and that's what the customer pays for, not future free performance increases... LMAO

Would you prefer they do it like a certain other company, releasing a buggy driver up front and taking several years to iron out the maximum performance?
post #5138 of 6175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oj010 View Post

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it smile.gif

No, it's fact. -102=LN2 and you don't game while doing LN2, or at least the average person won't be gaming while doing LN2. In car analogy it's like having the bugatti veyron and pointing out it's massive top speed. You'll never reach that top speed without race track so while it's impressive it's not exactly practical.

Replace veyron with 1080, top speed with that insane OC and race track with LN2, same thing applies. I'm not downplaying that OC as much as I'm pointing out that it's not indicative of the average OC potential on air/water which is what really matters for practicality.
post #5139 of 6175
Quote:
Originally Posted by provost View Post

Yep. It cracks me up when people expect (not you) performance increases through mature drivers... Nvidia is not going to give away free performance, that's not how it works with Nvidia anymore... bug fixes, yes, performance increases , not a chance in hell...lol release benchmarks is as good as it gets, and that's what the customer pays for, not future free performance increases... LMAO

I believe the last driver release from Nvidia gave a nice little performance boost in Doom. Sure it's only one driver and one game but it is a performance increase nonetheless.
post #5140 of 6175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYDeath View Post

No, it's fact. -102=LN2 and you don't game while doing LN2, or at least the average person won't be gaming while doing LN2. In car analogy it's like having the bugatti veyron and pointing out it's massive top speed. You'll never reach that top speed without race track so while it's impressive it's not exactly practical.

Replace veyron with 1080, top speed with that insane OC and race track with LN2, same thing applies. I'm not downplaying that OC as much as I'm pointing out that it's not indicative of the average OC potential on air/water which is what really matters for practicality.

I agree and disagree. I'm with you in the fact LN2 overclocks are not representative of what we can expect to see and use in the real world. It does show though what the card is capable of when the temperature variable is nullified.

I would use the analogy of an LN2 card being like a top fuel dragster. Everything is stretched to the mechanical limit and with thoughtful care, the car can outperform anything else on the planet in terms of raw acceleration. Put that same dragster in LA traffic for an hour and it would destroy itself and become unusable.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Various] GTX 1080 Reviews