Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Various] GTX 1080 Reviews
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Various] GTX 1080 Reviews - Page 585  

post #5841 of 6175
Quote:
Originally Posted by zealord View Post

Well it is high end, but just because Nvidia is holding back and feeding us small portions. Nvidia wants that the idiots are buying all their cards and upgrade twice a year.

If Nvidia wanted to they could release a bigger and better card right now, but they DON'T HAVE TO because there is no competition and they can make easy money with that greedy route. From a business standpoint completely understandable. I'd do the same thing and milk my loyal blind fanbase.

The GTX 1080 is high end, but not because the GTX 1080 is high end, but because surroundings and circumstances make it high end.

So you're saying Nvidia has the new Titan and 1080 Ti are ready to roll and they're just sitting on their thumbs milking the 1080? I mean yeah, it's certainly possible but is your theory based on anything?
post #5842 of 6175
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNiceGuy View Post

So you're saying Nvidia has the new Titan and 1080 Ti are ready to roll and they're just sitting on their thumbs milking the 1080? I mean yeah, it's certainly possible but is your theory based on anything?

Of course they optimized everything from a business standpoint.

No they don't have GP102's in masses laying around their offices, but they prioritized GP104 so they could transitions into GP102 from there.

What I meant by that is they could've released a bigger card if they had considered it necessary. I don't know how long it takes. maybe a year or so ago.
current rig
(4 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsGraphicsKeyboard
2500k R9 290X Tri-X GTX 680 Filco Majestouch 2 Brown Ninja 
  hide details  
current rig
(4 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsGraphicsKeyboard
2500k R9 290X Tri-X GTX 680 Filco Majestouch 2 Brown Ninja 
  hide details  
post #5843 of 6175
Quote:
Originally Posted by zGunBLADEz View Post

Nvidia changed his whole market when they released the first titan.. Until then i didnt see people gaming on quadro gpus XD

So thats when the x80/x70 chip become the midrange

You mean released the Titan NAME. The Titan now is the 8800GTX/GTX580 of past years.
Super P's rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x ASUS X99-A II Asus GTX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
MyDigitalSSD BPX NVMe Samsung 850 EVO Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB External DVDRW 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK-XLC Predator 240 Swiftech 240mm Radiator Windows 10 Samsung 40" 4K - UN40KU6290 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G710+ EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 Fractal Design Define S G700s 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Vipamz Extended XXXL Asus U7 M-Audio AV40 Sennheiser HD 439 
  hide details  
Super P's rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x ASUS X99-A II Asus GTX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
MyDigitalSSD BPX NVMe Samsung 850 EVO Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB External DVDRW 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK-XLC Predator 240 Swiftech 240mm Radiator Windows 10 Samsung 40" 4K - UN40KU6290 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G710+ EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 Fractal Design Define S G700s 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Vipamz Extended XXXL Asus U7 M-Audio AV40 Sennheiser HD 439 
  hide details  
post #5844 of 6175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eorzean View Post

[/spoiler]
Smaller die size with a high end price. A better analogy would be calling the 1080 a Gallardo and the 1080 Ti is the Murcielago coming out later in the year, I guess.

Larger die size automatically means higher end?

Well then, you had better run right out and get your high end 386 CPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjdubb View Post

How is it not in the middle?

1. titan
2. x80ti
3. x80
4. x70
5. x60
6. x50


X80 and X70 are right smack in the middle, of gaming cards at least. I don't think they released anything else in the 9 series did they?

They haven't released a 1080 ti or a 1080 based Titan have they?

And if you're going to add cards that are 9+ months away from release to your list why did you exclude all of the ones that are currently on the market right now?

1. Titan
2. x80ti
3. x80
4. Titan Z
5. x70
6. 980t1
7. x60
8. 980
9. 970
10. x50
11. 960
12. 950

Where does it fall into that list?

Look, the ONLY way you can make this a "midrange" card is by both comparing it to cards that don't exist and ignoring cards that do exist, right? In otherwords, you have to be REALLY selective and do a lot of twisting facts around to make your argument work. You can't look at all of the products on the shelves and say it's midrange because it's not. You have to pick and choose what you do and don't want to include, and you play this pick and choose game because you can't admit you're wrong.
post #5845 of 6175
Quote:
Originally Posted by criminal View Post

You mean released the Titan NAME. The Titan now is the 8800 Ultra/GTX580 of past years.

Sorry I'm nitpicking. I just had a moment of nostalgia and couldn't resist.
post #5846 of 6175
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNiceGuy View Post

Sorry I'm nitpicking. I just had a moment of nostalgia and couldn't resist.

To be fair the only difference between the 8800GTX and 8800Ultra was the clock speeds and price! They both were full chips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moustang View Post

Larger die size automatically means higher end?

If you stay within the same series of cards and look at die size between them all, the die size does count for something. Take Maxwell for instance:

GM200(980Ti/ TitanX) - Biggest die - High End Chip - Maximum Performance
GM204(970/980) - Smaller die - Midrange chip - High Performance
GM206 (950/960) - Smallest die - Low end chip - Good Performance

1080 is a midrange die with High Performance. Its performance will be nothing special when 1080Ti/ Titan P drop.
Edited by criminal - 6/21/16 at 1:13pm
Super P's rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x ASUS X99-A II Asus GTX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
MyDigitalSSD BPX NVMe Samsung 850 EVO Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB External DVDRW 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK-XLC Predator 240 Swiftech 240mm Radiator Windows 10 Samsung 40" 4K - UN40KU6290 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G710+ EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 Fractal Design Define S G700s 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Vipamz Extended XXXL Asus U7 M-Audio AV40 Sennheiser HD 439 
  hide details  
Super P's rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x ASUS X99-A II Asus GTX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
MyDigitalSSD BPX NVMe Samsung 850 EVO Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB External DVDRW 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK-XLC Predator 240 Swiftech 240mm Radiator Windows 10 Samsung 40" 4K - UN40KU6290 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G710+ EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 Fractal Design Define S G700s 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Vipamz Extended XXXL Asus U7 M-Audio AV40 Sennheiser HD 439 
  hide details  
post #5847 of 6175
Quote:
Originally Posted by criminal View Post

To be fair the only difference between the 8800GTX and 8800Ultra was the clock speeds and price! They both were full chips.

funny thing is the first Titan (1000$ 2013) wasn't even the full chip applaud.gif
current rig
(4 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsGraphicsKeyboard
2500k R9 290X Tri-X GTX 680 Filco Majestouch 2 Brown Ninja 
  hide details  
current rig
(4 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsGraphicsKeyboard
2500k R9 290X Tri-X GTX 680 Filco Majestouch 2 Brown Ninja 
  hide details  
post #5848 of 6175
Quote:
Originally Posted by criminal View Post

To be fair the only difference between the 8800GTX and 8800Ultra was the clock speeds and price! They both were full chips.

Touche. You're absolutely right.
post #5849 of 6175
BTW, for anyone interested, Newegg has the EVGA 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 in stock and on sale right now.
post #5850 of 6175
Quote:
Originally Posted by moustang View Post

BTW, for anyone interested, Newegg has the EVGA 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 in stock and on sale right now.

Aaaaaand it's gone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Various] GTX 1080 Reviews