Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [VG24/7] Hideo Kojima reveals the new Kojima Productions mascot
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[VG24/7] Hideo Kojima reveals the new Kojima Productions mascot - Page 4

post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookster View Post

I'm talking about the fact that without the caption, the character fundamentally doesn't evoke any emotional response from me. It's just a bland lifeless character. The design is interesting but it doesn't convey anything human, to me. It'd make for a good soldier character model, or something.

Real characters come to life at a glace. They evoke a certain reaction from the beholder. Faces like this one, do that. I think Kojima may be losing his touch.
]

All images of unknown mascots are the same. You have yet to be given a reason to care for this character or his story.

The only reason that image you posted does that is because you already know who snake is and his history as a character.

A mascot only becomes a mascot if the product the mascot represents brings something of value to the table. In the case of snake, a once in a lifetime legendary series in interactive entertainment.

Kojimas new game hasnt even got off the ground yet and you want to say this character has no "soul"? A mascot becomes a mascot after the fact, not beforehand.

Take the power of silhouetted image for example:




You know who these characters are (presumably) even without faces or details simply because they were given a chance and each brought something new to interactive entertainment.

Losing his touch? please. Yes, you and your opinion are the be all and end all of someone elses creative use by date.


Though whats interesting is no ones complaining about "more future sci fi crap" like they do with COD.
Edited by LoLomgbbq - 6/6/16 at 10:52pm
post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookster View Post


I'm talking about the fact that without the caption, the character fundamentally doesn't evoke any emotional response from me. It's just a bland lifeless character. The design is interesting but it doesn't convey anything human, to me. It'd make for a good soldier character model, or something.

Real characters come to life at a glace. They evoke a certain reaction from the beholder. Faces like this one, do that. I think Kojima may be losing his touch. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

I'm with ya on that mate. This new mascot dealie will forever be Undead Astronaut Wicket-keeper for me because first impressions are important. :2coolsmil

     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz 1.37v o/s  Biostar X370 GT7 Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB HBM2 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) @ 32... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Biostar M200-240 240GB m.2 SATA SSD (Win) Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD (Linux) SanDisk Ultra II 480GB SSD (Games) Seagate 2TB SSHD (Storage) 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
LG DVD RW Swiftech H220-X2 Swiftech Komodo RX-ECO Vega Water Block XSPC EX240 Rad 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Gentle Typhoon 120mm x4 Ubuntu 17.10 w/ custom kernel Windows 10 Pro Pixio PX277 27" 1440p 144Hz DP-Adaptive Sync w... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
JAR-OWL J1 Rainbow LED Mechanical SeaSonic X-Series 1050w Gold+ Corsair 760T Zowie FK1 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Razer Firefly Plantronics Rig 500e Gaming Headset Marantz Pro MPH-1 Monitoring Headphones S.M.S.L SD-793II Audio DAC + Headphone Amplifier 
Other
Xbox One Controller 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.6GHz Asrock Z97 Extreme6 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) @ 2133 10-10-10-... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Intel 530 Series 480GB SSD Seagate 2TB SSHD LG DVD RW Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 40" Vizio HDTV HP Generic EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650w 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair Carbide 300R Logitech Generic HyperX Cloud 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 @ 4.3GHz 1.35v Biostar TA970 v5.3 MSI HD 6950 2GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB (4x4GB) 1600 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Cryorig H5 Ultimate Corsair AF120 (White LED) x3 Corsair AF140 (White LED) x2 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2440L Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 EVGA B2 850w Corsair 300R 
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 300 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz 1.37v o/s  Biostar X370 GT7 Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB HBM2 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) @ 32... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Biostar M200-240 240GB m.2 SATA SSD (Win) Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD (Linux) SanDisk Ultra II 480GB SSD (Games) Seagate 2TB SSHD (Storage) 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
LG DVD RW Swiftech H220-X2 Swiftech Komodo RX-ECO Vega Water Block XSPC EX240 Rad 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Gentle Typhoon 120mm x4 Ubuntu 17.10 w/ custom kernel Windows 10 Pro Pixio PX277 27" 1440p 144Hz DP-Adaptive Sync w... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
JAR-OWL J1 Rainbow LED Mechanical SeaSonic X-Series 1050w Gold+ Corsair 760T Zowie FK1 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Razer Firefly Plantronics Rig 500e Gaming Headset Marantz Pro MPH-1 Monitoring Headphones S.M.S.L SD-793II Audio DAC + Headphone Amplifier 
Other
Xbox One Controller 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.6GHz Asrock Z97 Extreme6 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) @ 2133 10-10-10-... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Intel 530 Series 480GB SSD Seagate 2TB SSHD LG DVD RW Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 40" Vizio HDTV HP Generic EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650w 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair Carbide 300R Logitech Generic HyperX Cloud 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 @ 4.3GHz 1.35v Biostar TA970 v5.3 MSI HD 6950 2GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB (4x4GB) 1600 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Cryorig H5 Ultimate Corsair AF120 (White LED) x3 Corsair AF140 (White LED) x2 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2440L Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 EVGA B2 850w Corsair 300R 
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperZan View Post

I'm with ya on that mate. This new mascot dealie will forever be Undead Astronaut Wicket-keeper for me because first impressions are importantcoolsmiley03.png

Yeah, coz nothings worse than an original looking well designed character that gives a preview into the talent level of those working on the game rolleyes.gif
post #34 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoLomgbbq View Post


Yeah, coz nothings worse than an original looking well designed character that gives a preview into the talent level of those working on the game rolleyes.gif

 

It's just my opinion, it has no bearing on my opinion of the company's future projects. I don't know why you're so offended. Did you invent the guy?

     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz 1.37v o/s  Biostar X370 GT7 Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB HBM2 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) @ 32... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Biostar M200-240 240GB m.2 SATA SSD (Win) Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD (Linux) SanDisk Ultra II 480GB SSD (Games) Seagate 2TB SSHD (Storage) 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
LG DVD RW Swiftech H220-X2 Swiftech Komodo RX-ECO Vega Water Block XSPC EX240 Rad 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Gentle Typhoon 120mm x4 Ubuntu 17.10 w/ custom kernel Windows 10 Pro Pixio PX277 27" 1440p 144Hz DP-Adaptive Sync w... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
JAR-OWL J1 Rainbow LED Mechanical SeaSonic X-Series 1050w Gold+ Corsair 760T Zowie FK1 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Razer Firefly Plantronics Rig 500e Gaming Headset Marantz Pro MPH-1 Monitoring Headphones S.M.S.L SD-793II Audio DAC + Headphone Amplifier 
Other
Xbox One Controller 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.6GHz Asrock Z97 Extreme6 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) @ 2133 10-10-10-... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Intel 530 Series 480GB SSD Seagate 2TB SSHD LG DVD RW Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 40" Vizio HDTV HP Generic EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650w 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair Carbide 300R Logitech Generic HyperX Cloud 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 @ 4.3GHz 1.35v Biostar TA970 v5.3 MSI HD 6950 2GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB (4x4GB) 1600 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Cryorig H5 Ultimate Corsair AF120 (White LED) x3 Corsair AF140 (White LED) x2 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2440L Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 EVGA B2 850w Corsair 300R 
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 300 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz 1.37v o/s  Biostar X370 GT7 Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB HBM2 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) @ 32... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Biostar M200-240 240GB m.2 SATA SSD (Win) Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD (Linux) SanDisk Ultra II 480GB SSD (Games) Seagate 2TB SSHD (Storage) 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
LG DVD RW Swiftech H220-X2 Swiftech Komodo RX-ECO Vega Water Block XSPC EX240 Rad 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Gentle Typhoon 120mm x4 Ubuntu 17.10 w/ custom kernel Windows 10 Pro Pixio PX277 27" 1440p 144Hz DP-Adaptive Sync w... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
JAR-OWL J1 Rainbow LED Mechanical SeaSonic X-Series 1050w Gold+ Corsair 760T Zowie FK1 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Razer Firefly Plantronics Rig 500e Gaming Headset Marantz Pro MPH-1 Monitoring Headphones S.M.S.L SD-793II Audio DAC + Headphone Amplifier 
Other
Xbox One Controller 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.6GHz Asrock Z97 Extreme6 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) @ 2133 10-10-10-... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Intel 530 Series 480GB SSD Seagate 2TB SSHD LG DVD RW Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 40" Vizio HDTV HP Generic EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650w 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair Carbide 300R Logitech Generic HyperX Cloud 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 @ 4.3GHz 1.35v Biostar TA970 v5.3 MSI HD 6950 2GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB (4x4GB) 1600 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Cryorig H5 Ultimate Corsair AF120 (White LED) x3 Corsair AF140 (White LED) x2 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2440L Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 EVGA B2 850w Corsair 300R 
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperZan View Post

It's just my opinion, it has no bearing on my opinion of the company's future projects. I don't know why you're so offended. Did you invent the guy?

Im not offended. I just enjoy conversation.
post #36 of 37
Guys....

It's not a space knight.....

The flag is just his picture in profile. Militaristic governments don't typically go for complex designs, they want something that's immediately recognizable and simplisticly distinct from other nations' flags.

On the arm of his suit in the first picture you can clearly read "Extra Vehicular Creative Activity". That suit is clearly not designed for combat.

We've got another picture showing a rocky, icy landscape with a very thin atmosphere, reminiscent of a moon like Enceladus....

For ages now there has been a little tidbit of rhetoric on KP's home page talking about Homo Ludens, or those who play....

That mascot is clearly there on one of the moons around Jupiter or Saturn for the sole purpose of creating the worlds first extraplanetary theme park.




Kojimas next game is going to be a Theme Park/Rollercoaster Sim in low gravity!



thumbsupsmiley.pngwheee.gifwheee.gifwheee.gifwheee.gifwheee.gifthumbsupsmiley.png



Edit: Oh, and people seem to keep forgetting that MGS V wasn't a continuation of the series. Kojima said unto exhaustion that IV would be the last game in the series, then Konami, who owns the license and his job, told him to make another one.

He had nothing left to make because he wrapped everything up in IV, so in V he just said "Fig it, it's whatever. What kind of game is hip with the kids today? Open World? Check. Multiplayer? Check. Base building? Check. MMO-style fetch quests and loot whoring? Check. Countless useless collectibles? GOT'EM ALL! Here you go Konami execs, it's the game you've always wanted!"

Then proceeded to ramp up production values to 11 until Konami begged for financial mercy, told him to wrap up the game half-baked and get it and himself out the door.
Edited by Ganf - 6/7/16 at 2:34pm
My Mangled Mess
(17 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5930k Asrock X99 OC MSI R9 290x Lightning Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 4 Custom loop Windows 7 64-bit TBD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Das Professional S series Seasonic SS-1250XM NZXT H630 Saitek Cyborg M.M.O. 7 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
Razer Invicta Asus Essence STX II 7.1 w/daughterboard Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick CH Pro Flight Throttle (soon) 
Other
Saitek Pro Flight Pedals 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @4.7 stable Gigabyte Z68ap-d3 Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 @1250/1750 8gb Samsung low profile green series 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500gb, WD caviar blue OCZ Vertex 4 128gb SSD 24x dvdrw XSPC RASA RX360 kit 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 23" Acer Rosewill RK9000 w/MX cherry black switches PC Power and cooling 950w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Cyborg M.M.O. 7 Razer Scarab  Asus Xonar D1 
AudioAudio
Energy Take Classic 5.1 Home Theater Speaker Sy... Sony STRDH520 7.1 AV Receiver. 
  hide details  
Reply
My Mangled Mess
(17 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5930k Asrock X99 OC MSI R9 290x Lightning Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 4 Custom loop Windows 7 64-bit TBD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Das Professional S series Seasonic SS-1250XM NZXT H630 Saitek Cyborg M.M.O. 7 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
Razer Invicta Asus Essence STX II 7.1 w/daughterboard Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick CH Pro Flight Throttle (soon) 
Other
Saitek Pro Flight Pedals 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @4.7 stable Gigabyte Z68ap-d3 Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 @1250/1750 8gb Samsung low profile green series 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500gb, WD caviar blue OCZ Vertex 4 128gb SSD 24x dvdrw XSPC RASA RX360 kit 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 23" Acer Rosewill RK9000 w/MX cherry black switches PC Power and cooling 950w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Cyborg M.M.O. 7 Razer Scarab  Asus Xonar D1 
AudioAudio
Energy Take Classic 5.1 Home Theater Speaker Sy... Sony STRDH520 7.1 AV Receiver. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoLomgbbq View Post

All images of unknown mascots are the same. You have yet to be given a reason to care for this character or his story.

The only reason that image you posted does that is because you already know who snake is and his history as a character.
Mascots are rich in character so that your first impression leads you to draw plainly visible conclusions about them. Lead characters, generally, also share this trait. They have a readily apparent nature, and then character development occurs from there.

If your lead character doesn't have any easily discernible characteristics, your audience will carry a lack of attachment for that character.

You're kind of right when you say that I already like Snake because I know the history and character, but you're dead wrong if you think you can use that to invalidate my opinion of him as a mascot.

My first impression of Snake was in MGS; at your very first glace, you can see that Snake is highly reminiscent of 80's action heroes, except with a very 90's cleanliness, reservation, and refinement. The black sneaking suit, the semi-silent protagonist style, with a few key characteristics to bring us back to remind us that Snake is a 80's style "super-alpha" behind all that reservation. The Rambo bandanna, the cigarette. Snake actually takes advantage of our existing biases in a way that's subtle enough not to appear as plagiarism. We just discern it as Kojima created it: elements of classical 80's action heroes get invoked, but it's done very intentionally and everything we find out about Snake from there on fits the first impression.

What Kojima really did is merge very popular notions to create a character that we instantly felt at home with. That's why Snake is such an easy character to like. The subtleties we discover within the story were ever-more fruitful because they're often as well-done as the 2-dimensional first impression that we get from him. As a mascot, the creation of Snake was a success. It gave us a starting point that we all understood, and we all saw the character develop from that easily discernible first impression.

A mascot, or a lead character being trouted around as a mascot, is not successful if it doesn't evoke any emotional response from you. If you can't relate it to anything, the creator now has to work very hard to control the experience. The "beholder" will continually try to attach characteristics to the character, but unless the story is designed very carefully, you might get the wrong impressions and ultimately just end up confused about development within the lead.

A mascot only becomes a mascot if people can instantly feel at home when they see it. Snake was instantly successful in this respect for the reasons I already stated. He's been so successful that he embodies far more than just the cool notion of combining 90's style with 80's flare. He's a mascot unto himself now, for people who pick up the series.

For people that didn't pick up the series at MGS 1, they were introduced to many different Snakes. Big Boss, for instant, was a recent one who was designed to be very reminiscent of revolutionaries like Castro, yet in the guise of an American military man. Yet another very compelling idea, delivered very simply upon first impression.
Quote:
Kojimas new game hasnt even got off the ground yet and you want to say this character has no "soul"? A mascot becomes a mascot after the fact, not beforehand.

Take the power of silhouetted image for example:




You know who these characters are (presumably) even without faces or details simply because they were given a chance and each brought something new to interactive entertainment.

Losing his touch? please. Yes, you and your opinion are the be all and end all of someone elses creative use by date.


Though whats interesting is no ones complaining about "more future sci fi crap" like they do with COD.
I already answered most of this so I won't spend much time on it. It's not a good mascot and it's not a good lead. I said it evokes nothing to me and that I'm worried Kojima might be losing his touch. I might be wrong, but I don't think I am.

SuperZan coined it: "Undead Astronaut Wicket-Keeper "

That's a rather hilarious and true way to describe it, for me. It's just too much. I can't really identify with the notion of all those things coming together. I'll check it out, but I don't it'll be all that interesting to me. It seems like Kojima, himself, is confused about what he's trying to do with this character.. the same way he seemed confused about what he wanted to do with our revolutionary Big Boss in MGS 5. At least the idea of a revolutionary Big Boss was a good idea (albeit, he had that idea long ago), but this time, I don't think Kojima even has an inspired character to work with. It's a valid reason to be skeptical.
Edited by Mookster - 6/7/16 at 2:12pm
Trash Box
(15 items)
 
 
G73JH-A1
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 980x @ 4.4GHz Asus P6X58D-E Gigabyte 8GB GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 24GB Corsair Dominators 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveMonitorKeyboard
2x256GB C300's R0 1TB Samsung 850 Pro ASUS MG279Q, Catleap Q270 G19 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX1200 Silverstone RV-02 G9x 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 965BE 125W Asus M4A77D Asus 5770 Cucore 4GB Kingston 800MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
2x750GB Seagates 22x LG DVD-RW w7 Ultimate 64-bit  G15 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 430W 80+ Antec New Solution NSK6580B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
720QM AsusTek Mobility HD5870 8GB Kingston 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
256GB C300/500GB Seagate Bluray Combo w7 Ultimate 64-bit 17'' 1080P 
Case
G73JH-A1 
  hide details  
Reply
Trash Box
(15 items)
 
 
G73JH-A1
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 980x @ 4.4GHz Asus P6X58D-E Gigabyte 8GB GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 24GB Corsair Dominators 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveMonitorKeyboard
2x256GB C300's R0 1TB Samsung 850 Pro ASUS MG279Q, Catleap Q270 G19 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX1200 Silverstone RV-02 G9x 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 965BE 125W Asus M4A77D Asus 5770 Cucore 4GB Kingston 800MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
2x750GB Seagates 22x LG DVD-RW w7 Ultimate 64-bit  G15 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 430W 80+ Antec New Solution NSK6580B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
720QM AsusTek Mobility HD5870 8GB Kingston 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
256GB C300/500GB Seagate Bluray Combo w7 Ultimate 64-bit 17'' 1080P 
Case
G73JH-A1 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [VG24/7] Hideo Kojima reveals the new Kojima Productions mascot