Lots of stuff in this update, so lets break it down!New Components and Test Fitting
X99 Phoenix SLI from Gigabyte. Honestly, this has to be my favorite board I've ever had the pleasure of working with. It's not often you get a motherboard that perfectly fits the style of your build. Lest we not forget, the board has a ton of features, which in a later post, once the build is complete, I'll do a short review on.
Corsair Dominator Platinum Memory. I've always been a fan of Corsairs memory, for two reasons. I am a big fan of the simple, yet sleek design that doesn't look out of place in most builds. They offer pretty much everything from low profile, to large high performance in a variety of colors that work for various schemes and if they don't (in this case the Dominator Platinum), it's usually designed in such a way that it's neutral but still lends to the "high quality" look you want in a build like this.
The second is quality. I think I've probably used over 20 Corsair memory kits over time, and have not once had a single problem that required an RMA.
Some pictures of me test fitting the board and memory into the internal case frame just to see how it looked.
Set in the new LE-2016 reservoir to see how it stacks up against the board. It will obviously sit a bit higher, but it was more just to see how the colors worked next to each other.
Just a little test bench time to make sure everything works properly. Good news, it does!Painting the Case
Got the outer frame of the case removed. Honestly, this is by far one of the nicest things about this case. The super thick aluminum shell comes off the internals by just a few screws. For modding purposes, this is an extremely nice feature.
Getting ready to get a coat of primer on here.
White pearl base coat applied.
After the base coat dried, Dan got to work on the vinyl detailing, applying some gloss black vinyl on the front and top.
Skipped ahead a bit here, but here's the finished product after he was done with it. After this it's going to be readied for clear coating, to protect the paint and keep the vinyl details from peeling up.Custom GPU Backplates
I was really excited for this part, because it's so simple and yet lends a really nice design element to the build. I started by measuring out the mounting holes on the GPU, and laser cutting a test piece.
The whole thing is made from two layers of 1/8" acrylic, the top being a really nice quality matte black. I used a pretty standard solvent to adhere the two layers.
Dropped and glued the colored inserts in.
And there you have it, much nicer than just the bare card showing in the middle of the case. The plate attaches to two of the free holes on the GPU that the water block doesn't use.
Next were going to get the internal frame put back in the case, and we'll get to work installing parts!