Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › [Official] NVIDIA GTX 1080 Owner's Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] NVIDIA GTX 1080 Owner's Club - Page 266

post #2651 of 11202
Coil whine. I haz it :/

Going to do the same thing I did with my 295X2 and leave it CSGO's menu for hours at about 900 FPS. That made most of my coil whine go away. One can only hope it will do the same. Then again it may just be my power supply doesn't play nice. I have a brand new EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 sitting here next to me. I should probably try it to see if I have less coil whine but screw all that re-cabling. Too lazy for that right now.
post #2652 of 11202
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzamples View Post

both cards have 3 windforce fans, how is it much of better cooling?
both have LED's
both have back plates

if xtreme gaming gets > 2100 MHz then what does G1 gaming get? > 2060 ???

i mean look how close these #'s are

g1 gaming

Core Clock 1721 MHz in OC Mode 1695 MHz in Gaming Mode
Boost Clock 1860 MHz in OC Mode 1835 MHz in Gaming Mode

xtreme gaming:

Boost: 1936 MHz / Base: 1784 MHz in OC mode
Boost: 1898 MHz / Base: 1759 MHz in Gaming mode

i mean the only justification for that $50 on the xtreme gaming edition is for the VR link, SLI bridge, mouse pad, power cable, and other accessories that come with it

G1 Gaming seems to have good cooling too, but the XTREME Gaming has a much larger heatsink. I haven't seen the actual heatsink design of both in detail though, not sure on heatpipe count and arrangements. But fans aren't everything; take my MSI Armor vs MSI Twin Frozr for example. Twin Frozr (GAMING X) runs MUCH cooler.

Stock speed doesn't say much about potential overclocking either. Overclocking is always a lottery though, and yes they shouldn't be a world apart. I've just seen considerably more > 2100 MHz reports for the XTREME Gaming than G1 Gaming (and some 2200+ MHz reports too).

I wish I waited for the XTREME Gaming to come in stock, but then again I might still be waiting to this day.
 
Legacy Build
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 8700k Delidded @ 5.0 GHz, 4.5 GHz... ASUS Maximus X Hero Z370 Wi-Fi AC Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 Ti AMP Extreme 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 960 Pro 1TB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 250GB EK Phoenix MLC 360mm 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
EK Vardar EVO 120ER x3 (bottom intake) Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Acer Predator XB270HU w/ Ideal Lume Standard Bi... Wooting One "Analog" Mechanical Keyboard (Red F... 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 650W w/ Ensourced... Lian-Li PC-O11WX Logitech G Pro Kingston HyperX Fury Pro XL 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD Yamaha RX-V579 Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE Fluance XL7C 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Fluance AVBP2 Gustard U12 Chord Mojo Blue Yeti w/ Pop Filter 
OtherOtherOtherOther
Fanatec CSL Elite Wheel Advanced Pack CODE 87-key Keyboard (Cherry MX Green) w/ Vorte... Ducky Pocket Mechanical Keyboard (Cherry MX Blue) THRUSTMASTER T16000M FCS Flight Stick 
OtherOtherOther
Furman M-8X2 (x2) AmazonBasics 7-port Powered USB 3.0 Hub Alfa Long-Range Dual-Band AC1200 Wireless USB 3... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 @ 3.6 GHz XFX nForce 680i LT XFX GeForce 8800 Ultra EVGA e-GeForce 9800GTX+ 
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
EVGA e-GeForce 9800GX2 EVGA GeForce GTX 295 dual PCB OCZ Reaper 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 Intel 330 Series 180GB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Thermalright Venomous-X Delta AFC1212D-PWM Silverstone AP141 Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG Flatron IPS235 Ducky Shine DK9087 Shine 2 (Cherry MX Red, gree... EVGA G2 850W Lian-Li PC-7HX 
MouseAudio
Mionix Castor Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty P... 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Legacy Build
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 8700k Delidded @ 5.0 GHz, 4.5 GHz... ASUS Maximus X Hero Z370 Wi-Fi AC Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 Ti AMP Extreme 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 960 Pro 1TB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 250GB EK Phoenix MLC 360mm 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
EK Vardar EVO 120ER x3 (bottom intake) Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Acer Predator XB270HU w/ Ideal Lume Standard Bi... Wooting One "Analog" Mechanical Keyboard (Red F... 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 650W w/ Ensourced... Lian-Li PC-O11WX Logitech G Pro Kingston HyperX Fury Pro XL 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD Yamaha RX-V579 Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE Fluance XL7C 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Fluance AVBP2 Gustard U12 Chord Mojo Blue Yeti w/ Pop Filter 
OtherOtherOtherOther
Fanatec CSL Elite Wheel Advanced Pack CODE 87-key Keyboard (Cherry MX Green) w/ Vorte... Ducky Pocket Mechanical Keyboard (Cherry MX Blue) THRUSTMASTER T16000M FCS Flight Stick 
OtherOtherOther
Furman M-8X2 (x2) AmazonBasics 7-port Powered USB 3.0 Hub Alfa Long-Range Dual-Band AC1200 Wireless USB 3... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 @ 3.6 GHz XFX nForce 680i LT XFX GeForce 8800 Ultra EVGA e-GeForce 9800GTX+ 
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
EVGA e-GeForce 9800GX2 EVGA GeForce GTX 295 dual PCB OCZ Reaper 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 Intel 330 Series 180GB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Thermalright Venomous-X Delta AFC1212D-PWM Silverstone AP141 Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG Flatron IPS235 Ducky Shine DK9087 Shine 2 (Cherry MX Red, gree... EVGA G2 850W Lian-Li PC-7HX 
MouseAudio
Mionix Castor Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty P... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2653 of 11202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivered082 View Post

I set the curve to manual with a +0 offset on all points, and test just one single voltage with an offset at a time. I reset each point that I test back to zero before testing the next. I get really impressive results from each point individually, but they don't seem to work well together when I put them each at their max stable voltage that I tested. I'm so confused as to why they work well as a single offset, but become very unstable as part of an offset curve. Look at my pictures in my post a page back to see what I am talking about. You may have to zoom in to see where I selected the 1.05v offset by itself.

What about your other setting? Overvoltage, power %, mem clock, fan curve?
post #2654 of 11202
Guys, a piece of advice. I can choose between GTX 1080 Asus Strix or FE + EK waterblock. What would you prefer? Is that 8 pin enough to power a watercooled card?
Fun times
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
Fun times
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
post #2655 of 11202
a tip from an anonymous person indicates that Nvidia might remove the " Disable SLi " option and replace it with " turn off 2nd GPU" meaning SLi will always be on until you shut off the 2nd GPU

kinda weird IMO
post #2656 of 11202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorginto View Post

Guys, a piece of advice. I can choose between GTX 1080 Asus Strix or FE + EK waterblock. What would you prefer? Is that 8 pin enough to power a watercooled card?

Yes, with Pascal and a modded bios to increase the power limit, a single 8 pin will be plenty to power it.
post #2657 of 11202
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinskiing View Post

What about your other setting? Overvoltage, power %, mem clock, fan curve?

This is with everything default. Power % makes no difference as the FTW never gets close to 100% TDP, at least mine doesn't. I did a fan curve, though to keep temps in the mid 50c range at load. The high clocks from the single voltage offsets when testing came with the memory at +0. I can push it to +600 but it adversely affects performance after +450. The only way for me to test and check 1.075, 1.081, and 1.093 were to push voltage 25%, 50%, and 100% respectively.

What confuses me is why I cannot create a stable curve based on the individual results for each voltage step. I can either hit over 2.2ghz with a single voltage having an offset, or a little over 2.1ghz with a standard curve with an offset of +100 across the board.
post #2658 of 11202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivered082 View Post

This is with everything default. Power % makes no difference as the FTW never gets close to 100% TDP, at least mine doesn't. I did a fan curve, though to keep temps in the mid 50c range at load. The high clocks from the single voltage offsets when testing came with the memory at +0. I can push it to +600 but it adversely affects performance after +450. The only way for me to test and check 1.075, 1.081, and 1.093 were to push voltage 25%, 50%, and 100% respectively.

What confuses me is why I cannot create a stable curve based on the individual results for each voltage step. I can either hit over 2.2ghz with a single voltage having an offset, or a little over 2.1ghz with a standard curve with an offset of +100 across the board.

This is excellent info, thanks! Sounds like I have some playing around to do. I want to break down the 2100MHz wall. :-D
post #2659 of 11202
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzamples View Post

both cards have 3 windforce fans, how is it much of better cooling?
both have LED's
both have back plates

if xtreme gaming gets > 2100 MHz then what does G1 gaming get? > 2060 ???

i mean look how close these #'s are

g1 gaming

Core Clock 1721 MHz in OC Mode 1695 MHz in Gaming Mode
Boost Clock 1860 MHz in OC Mode 1835 MHz in Gaming Mode

xtreme gaming:

Boost: 1936 MHz / Base: 1784 MHz in OC mode
Boost: 1898 MHz / Base: 1759 MHz in Gaming mode

i mean the only justification for that $50 on the xtreme gaming edition is for the VR link, SLI bridge, mouse pad, power cable, and other accessories that come with it

I believe the cheaper one has three medium sized fans and the more expensive one has two large fans and a medium fan that sits overlapping the other two and spins in an opposite direction, it explains it on the site. Plus slightly better components on the more expensive.

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5921#kf
post #2660 of 11202
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronicfx View Post

I believe the cheaper one has three medium sized fans and the more expensive one has two large fans and a stacked fan fan that sits overlapping the other two and spins in an opposite direction, it explains it on the site. Plus slightly better components on the more expensive. Does the G1 have the spill resistant coating on the PCB?

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5921#kf
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › [Official] NVIDIA GTX 1080 Owner's Club