Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › FX-8320E In An Matx Case... Possible Heat Issues?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FX-8320E In An Matx Case... Possible Heat Issues? - Page 3

post #21 of 48
The FX series "core" are modules in AMD architecture. You can consider them as hyperthreading, in Intel terms. But in reality, it is not that simple. If you want to read up on it, there are plenty of articles about the architecture -
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/100583-analyzing-bulldozers-scaling-single-thread-performance

If you run highly threaded workload, you will see the added benefit that an FX-6300 chip can beat a dual core i3. However, most workload are still not highly threaded. In single thread apps, such as most gaming, I believe i3 is faster than FX6300. I don't know what kind of workload you do. Is this for HTPC? Are most HTPC streaming apps single threaded? Or what kind of server apps you plan to run?
A couple of videos but I think they are for gaming comparisons only -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4dUCeF2jnU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLkaNWo0EV0

16GB of memory is almost too much for HTPC or server, unless you run VM. Even if you run VM it is good enough. That bundle comes with 8GB of memory. You can buy another stick to make it 16GB. In the future if you need to, buy 2 more sticks to make it 32GB. 32GB is plenty if you need to run multiple VMs (<=3).

The only thing I am sure is that Gigabyte board. Yes you are right some good and some bad reviews. Perhaps read up some more reviews on it?

Oh btw I am not bashing AMD. To me the FX8300 is equivalent to an i5 on the cheap and I built 5 PCs for my employees to do work. Great budget chips.
post #22 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBettaFish View Post

The FX series "core" are modules in AMD architecture. You can consider them as hyperthreading, in Intel terms. But in reality, it is not that simple. If you want to read up on it, there are plenty of articles about the architecture -
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/100583-analyzing-bulldozers-scaling-single-thread-performance

If you run highly threaded workload, you will see the added benefit that an FX-6300 chip can beat a dual core i3. However, most workload are still not highly threaded. In single thread apps, such as most gaming, I believe i3 is faster than FX6300. I don't know what kind of workload you do. Is this for HTPC? Are most HTPC streaming apps single threaded? Or what kind of server apps you plan to run?
A couple of videos but I think they are for gaming comparisons only -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4dUCeF2jnU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLkaNWo0EV0

16GB of memory is almost too much for HTPC or server, unless you run VM. Even if you run VM it is good enough. That bundle comes with 8GB of memory. You can buy another stick to make it 16GB. In the future if you need to, buy 2 more sticks to make it 32GB. 32GB is plenty if you need to run multiple VMs (<=3).

The only thing I am sure is that Gigabyte board. Yes you are right some good and some bad reviews. Perhaps read up some more reviews on it?

Oh btw I am not bashing AMD. To me the FX8300 is equivalent to an i5 on the cheap and I built 5 PCs for my employees to do work. Great budget chips.

Ok, so here is exactly what I will be using my server for. I will migrate all files that need to be shared between my desktop and laptops in my house. Also i will migrate all my media, videos (AVI, MKV, MP4) and so on to the server and will be shared using Universal Media Player to stream to my Ipads, PS3, and Xbox One.. Also music will be on the server. It will also have files just stored on it such as family pictures and videos and all of the personal files will be backed up.
post #23 of 48
I took a quick look at UMP and I believe it has low hardware requirements, but if you need 1080p contents, you might be better off with an i5 or FX83xx series, then you will be set for years. Also, for what you need 16GB is plenty for now. You do want to have lots of space or RAID and a good backup plan for all that storage
http://www.universalmediaserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1540
post #24 of 48
Not to threadjack but good find with that Universal Media Server. Got me looking into building a mATX APU server.
White Lightning
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Processor  ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero (WI-FI AC) ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB ROG STRIX  Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 3200 White LED  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX300 525GB M.2 SSD  Toshiba X300 4TB Desktop 3.5  LG WH16NS40 Super Multi Blue 16x Blu-ray Disc  Corsair Hydro Series H110i Extreme Performance... 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Corsair Corsair Air Series AF140 LED Quiet Edi... Windows 10 Pro AOC 2757 27" 1080p IPS Monitor  Seasonic SS-760XP2 Platinum 
Case
Cooler Master Mastercase Pro 5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320E @ 4.1GHz Asrock 970M Pro3 mATX XFX Radeon RX 460 4 GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Gr... PNY Anarchy 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR3 1866MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SAMSUNG DVD Writer SH-224FB Scythe Samurai ZZ Rev.B CPU Cooler Windows 7 Pro SP1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC 27" I2757FH IPS LED HD Monitor Zalman ZM-K200M USB Keyboard EVGA 500W 80 PLUS Certified Power Supply Thermaltake Urban S1 Mini Tower Computer Case  
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Zalman ZM-400M USB Mouse Jeecoo Mouse Pad 320x270x3mm Non-slip Rubber Ba... Z313 Multimedia Speaker System  AzureWave Broadcom BCM94352HMB/BCM94352 802.11/... 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Marvell 6282 Processor( 1.60GHz 256KB) Marvell 88F6282 SoC 256MB DDR3 1600 MHz Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB  
OS
LenovoEMC LifeLine 4.0 
  hide details  
Reply
White Lightning
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Processor  ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero (WI-FI AC) ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB ROG STRIX  Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 3200 White LED  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX300 525GB M.2 SSD  Toshiba X300 4TB Desktop 3.5  LG WH16NS40 Super Multi Blue 16x Blu-ray Disc  Corsair Hydro Series H110i Extreme Performance... 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Corsair Corsair Air Series AF140 LED Quiet Edi... Windows 10 Pro AOC 2757 27" 1080p IPS Monitor  Seasonic SS-760XP2 Platinum 
Case
Cooler Master Mastercase Pro 5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320E @ 4.1GHz Asrock 970M Pro3 mATX XFX Radeon RX 460 4 GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Gr... PNY Anarchy 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR3 1866MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SAMSUNG DVD Writer SH-224FB Scythe Samurai ZZ Rev.B CPU Cooler Windows 7 Pro SP1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC 27" I2757FH IPS LED HD Monitor Zalman ZM-K200M USB Keyboard EVGA 500W 80 PLUS Certified Power Supply Thermaltake Urban S1 Mini Tower Computer Case  
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Zalman ZM-400M USB Mouse Jeecoo Mouse Pad 320x270x3mm Non-slip Rubber Ba... Z313 Multimedia Speaker System  AzureWave Broadcom BCM94352HMB/BCM94352 802.11/... 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Marvell 6282 Processor( 1.60GHz 256KB) Marvell 88F6282 SoC 256MB DDR3 1600 MHz Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB  
OS
LenovoEMC LifeLine 4.0 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBettaFish View Post

I took a quick look at UMP and I believe it has low hardware requirements, but if you need 1080p contents, you might be better off with an i5 or FX83xx series, then you will be set for years. Also, for what you need 16GB is plenty for now. You do want to have lots of space or RAID and a good backup plan for all that storage
http://www.universalmediaserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1540

Exacty why it seems that I am building a server that is overkill for now but down the road I might start running more off the server once i learn more than the basics. I have an SSD already for the OS and hdd's for storage for now so thats why i am not listing them. Windows or Linux is the way i'll be going with OS.
post #26 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDub07 View Post

Not to threadjack but good find with that Universal Media Server. Got me looking into building a mATX APU server.

I stumbled upon UMP actually, i was a lot time user of PS3 Media Player and a while back to started acting up and would not stream newer formats and the audio/video would constantly go out of sync. After looking into Plex and other streaming clients i found UMP (Which is actually setup the same way as PS3MP) and love it. It play almost anything and i like how it keeps all my media organized the way i have it on my pc. Something Plex and many others did not want to do so it's easier for me to keep it all organized and quickly access it all. I really would like to build a mATX server but i'd rather go larger with ATX since AMD mATX motherboards are worrisome with heat issues.
post #27 of 48
Also, is there a better PSU in that price range? Thermaltake PSU is just average. You don't need 750 watts. At most you will need 350 watts with a low end video card. You might be better off getting a very good gold or platinum PSU in that price range.
post #28 of 48
I think your considering a two different things here. If you just want something that "serves" your media to other devices and you access it remotely I think your looking at too high of a level equipment. My lil $80 NAS can play 1080p to my Xbox One and its a 1.6GHz single core. Will this server have other uses or just primary "serving" media to other devices in your house. heck you may want to look at APU build vs a Core i3 with hyperthreading.
White Lightning
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Processor  ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero (WI-FI AC) ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB ROG STRIX  Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 3200 White LED  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX300 525GB M.2 SSD  Toshiba X300 4TB Desktop 3.5  LG WH16NS40 Super Multi Blue 16x Blu-ray Disc  Corsair Hydro Series H110i Extreme Performance... 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Corsair Corsair Air Series AF140 LED Quiet Edi... Windows 10 Pro AOC 2757 27" 1080p IPS Monitor  Seasonic SS-760XP2 Platinum 
Case
Cooler Master Mastercase Pro 5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320E @ 4.1GHz Asrock 970M Pro3 mATX XFX Radeon RX 460 4 GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Gr... PNY Anarchy 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR3 1866MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SAMSUNG DVD Writer SH-224FB Scythe Samurai ZZ Rev.B CPU Cooler Windows 7 Pro SP1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC 27" I2757FH IPS LED HD Monitor Zalman ZM-K200M USB Keyboard EVGA 500W 80 PLUS Certified Power Supply Thermaltake Urban S1 Mini Tower Computer Case  
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Zalman ZM-400M USB Mouse Jeecoo Mouse Pad 320x270x3mm Non-slip Rubber Ba... Z313 Multimedia Speaker System  AzureWave Broadcom BCM94352HMB/BCM94352 802.11/... 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Marvell 6282 Processor( 1.60GHz 256KB) Marvell 88F6282 SoC 256MB DDR3 1600 MHz Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB  
OS
LenovoEMC LifeLine 4.0 
  hide details  
Reply
White Lightning
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Processor  ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero (WI-FI AC) ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB ROG STRIX  Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 3200 White LED  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX300 525GB M.2 SSD  Toshiba X300 4TB Desktop 3.5  LG WH16NS40 Super Multi Blue 16x Blu-ray Disc  Corsair Hydro Series H110i Extreme Performance... 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Corsair Corsair Air Series AF140 LED Quiet Edi... Windows 10 Pro AOC 2757 27" 1080p IPS Monitor  Seasonic SS-760XP2 Platinum 
Case
Cooler Master Mastercase Pro 5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320E @ 4.1GHz Asrock 970M Pro3 mATX XFX Radeon RX 460 4 GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Gr... PNY Anarchy 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR3 1866MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SAMSUNG DVD Writer SH-224FB Scythe Samurai ZZ Rev.B CPU Cooler Windows 7 Pro SP1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC 27" I2757FH IPS LED HD Monitor Zalman ZM-K200M USB Keyboard EVGA 500W 80 PLUS Certified Power Supply Thermaltake Urban S1 Mini Tower Computer Case  
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Zalman ZM-400M USB Mouse Jeecoo Mouse Pad 320x270x3mm Non-slip Rubber Ba... Z313 Multimedia Speaker System  AzureWave Broadcom BCM94352HMB/BCM94352 802.11/... 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Marvell 6282 Processor( 1.60GHz 256KB) Marvell 88F6282 SoC 256MB DDR3 1600 MHz Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB  
OS
LenovoEMC LifeLine 4.0 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDub07 View Post

I think your considering a two different things here. If you just want something that "serves" your media to other devices and you access it remotely I think your looking at too high of a level equipment. My lil $80 NAS can play 1080p to my Xbox One and its a 1.6GHz single core. Will this server have other uses or just primary "serving" media to other devices in your house. heck you may want to look at APU build vs a Core i3 with hyperthreading.

When I complete the build it will primarily be use for centralized storage and to "serve" but once I learn what more I can do with it I'd only hope its role will expand.
post #30 of 48
Here are a few good PSUs around $50 (after MIR) -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151117&ignorebbr=1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194110&ignorebbr=1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104172&ignorebbr=1
Any of these is better than Thermaltake IMHO.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › FX-8320E In An Matx Case... Possible Heat Issues?