Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › [Official] NVIDIA GTX 1070 Owner's Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] NVIDIA GTX 1070 Owner's Club - Page 89

post #881 of 9395
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjdubb View Post

It's not throttling in the traditional meaning. GPU boost varies based on how much headroom there is. As your temps rise the headroom shrinks and so does the amount of boost.

It appears for Pascal this first "step" is 48*c, then 54*c... so on and so forth

It has become so common to use the word throttling but unfortunately it confuses new Nvidia owners. Those of us that have been around this block a few times understand the difference, but for someone coming from an AMD card "throttling" has a whole different meaning.
So at least the minimum rated speed i should have with 1070 right?
I have a 660ti now and it easily reaches 80c, i am worried of buying a 1070 and if it have the same temps, then i will have a 1070 throttled down all the time.
post #882 of 9395
Okay the new drivers are out:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/105037/en-us

thumb.gif
post #883 of 9395
Quote:
Originally Posted by leandronb View Post

So at least the minimum rated speed i should have with 1070 right?
I have a 660ti now and it easily reaches 80c, i am worried of buying a 1070 and if it have the same temps, then i will have a 1070 throttled down all the time.

No you misunderstood that post. The throttling that happens is only to the BOOST speeds. Not to the base speeds. The minimum you will get is the base speeds advertised on the website of each manufacturer. That's regardless of temperature I believe. Trust me, I went crazy and tested, I put fan speed on 0% and got my card to around 90 degrees celsius. It won't throttle below advertised base speeds, in fact it maintained speeds around 1900MHz (which is boost). But if you overclock past that, then it's different. It throttles at certain junctures. Which is still very stupid, because the card is more than capable at holding those speeds and decent temperatures. Which is why we were annoyed a few pages back.
post #884 of 9395
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjdubb View Post

It's not throttling in the traditional meaning. GPU boost varies based on how much headroom there is. As your temps rise the headroom shrinks and so does the amount of boost.

It appears for Pascal this first "step" is 48*c, then 54*c... so on and so forth

It has become so common to use the word throttling but unfortunately it confuses new Nvidia owners. Those of us that have been around this block a few times understand the difference, but for someone coming from an AMD card "throttling" has a whole different meaning.

when I was doing another overclock session last night, my card would start throttling the boost as soon as it hit 60c. 45c it was hitting the frequency I had set it to. but as soon as 60 came up, it bumped it down a bit.
Narada
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1920X @4.1ghz Asus Zenith Extreme EVGA 1080 FTW G.Skill Trident RGB 32gb 3200mhz 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Raid 0 Kingston Hyper X SSD LG 34" UWHD EVGA 1600W G2 W100 
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Narada
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1920X @4.1ghz Asus Zenith Extreme EVGA 1080 FTW G.Skill Trident RGB 32gb 3200mhz 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Raid 0 Kingston Hyper X SSD LG 34" UWHD EVGA 1600W G2 W100 
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #885 of 9395
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjdubb View Post

It's not throttling in the traditional meaning. GPU boost varies based on how much headroom there is. As your temps rise the headroom shrinks and so does the amount of boost.

It appears for Pascal this first "step" is 48*c, then 54*c... so on and so forth

It has become so common to use the word throttling but unfortunately it confuses new Nvidia owners. Those of us that have been around this block a few times understand the difference, but for someone coming from an AMD card "throttling" has a whole different meaning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfyre View Post

No you misunderstood that post. The throttling that happens is only to the BOOST speeds. Not to the base speeds. The minimum you will get is the base speeds advertised on the website of each manufacturer. That's regardless of temperature I believe. Trust me, I went crazy and tested, I put fan speed on 0% and got my card to around 90 degrees celsius. It won't throttle below advertised base speeds, in fact it maintained speeds around 1900MHz (which is boost). But if you overclock past that, then it's different. It throttles at certain junctures. Which is still very stupid, because the card is more than capable at holding those speeds and decent temperatures. Which is why we were annoyed a few pages back.
Thanks for the clarification.
I am less worried about this now.
The main problem for me is that i have an itx case (elite 130), and i am still deciding if i should stick to intel stock cooler and replace my blower 660ti to a blower 1070, or if i should watercool the cpu and get an open air cooler 1070, i don't know if an open air will make a big difference in case temperature if cpu is watercooled, maybe to motherboard and ram. What do you guys think?
post #886 of 9395
so why would these companies make cards that the boost starts getting lower around
50c and higher??? every game will make cards run hot,

so you need liquid cooling or have pc in cold room..

Doesn't make sense to limit speed at so low temps...
post #887 of 9395
don't feel so bad guys. the 1080s are in the same boat right now. i built these two systems at work this week, and one system can only get 2113mhz, and the other 2088mhz. AND they're watercooled. both identical systems with SLI 1080s.

Narada
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1920X @4.1ghz Asus Zenith Extreme EVGA 1080 FTW G.Skill Trident RGB 32gb 3200mhz 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Raid 0 Kingston Hyper X SSD LG 34" UWHD EVGA 1600W G2 W100 
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Narada
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1920X @4.1ghz Asus Zenith Extreme EVGA 1080 FTW G.Skill Trident RGB 32gb 3200mhz 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Raid 0 Kingston Hyper X SSD LG 34" UWHD EVGA 1600W G2 W100 
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #888 of 9395
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisshort117 View Post

don't feel so bad guys. the 1080s are in the same boat right now. i built these two systems at work this week, and one system can only get 2113mhz, and the other 2088mhz. AND they're watercooled. both identical systems with SLI 1080s.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Just wanted to say, those look beautiful. Nice builds. Wish my computer looked half as decent, haha.

thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
post #889 of 9395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenc View Post

so why would these companies make cards that the boost starts getting lower around
50c and higher??? every game will make cards run hot,

so you need liquid cooling or have pc in cold room..

Doesn't make sense to limit speed at so low temps...

Using watercooling and keeping the ambient temps as low as possible have been key ingredients to achieving maximum overclocks for many years. The lower the temps the greater chance you have of getting higher clock speeds, if this wasn't true then LN2 and phase change would be a waste of time.
Computer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 Nvidia GTX 1080ti FE (EK block) CORSAIR Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo Mushkin Reactor Custom Loop Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Ben Q BL3201PT Logitech G110 EVGA 1300w Thermatake Core P5 
MouseAudio
LOGITECH G502 PROTEUS CORE Corsair 2100 
  hide details  
Reply
Computer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 Nvidia GTX 1080ti FE (EK block) CORSAIR Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo Mushkin Reactor Custom Loop Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Ben Q BL3201PT Logitech G110 EVGA 1300w Thermatake Core P5 
MouseAudio
LOGITECH G502 PROTEUS CORE Corsair 2100 
  hide details  
Reply
post #890 of 9395
The Zotac won't fit in my case. Its between the G1 and Strix. I'm leaning towards Strix because I have an Asus board. I only have 2 DP monitors, but the loss of a 3rd DP on the Strix has be a smidge nervous for future options.

If the display supports it, will the 1070 output 4K 60Hz over HDMI?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › [Official] NVIDIA GTX 1070 Owner's Club