Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Broadwell-E thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Broadwell-E thread - Page 157

post #1561 of 7252
Quote:
Originally Posted by sblantipodi View Post

what are the main difference in overclocking between Haswell-E and Broadwell-E?
Is there someone who owned both CPUs and can list the differences?

Do broadwell-e need less voltage? Is it hotter than Haswell-E?

1. more voltage: yes, particularly when you consider absolute GHz you will obtain for any given voltage

2. hotter: no, particularly per core and particularly when you consider the above. A 1.35V HWE would generally be harder to cool than a 1.35V BWE

main difference is narrower range of OC until you get to ludicrous voltages that you should not be using for 24/7.
post #1562 of 7252
Quote:
Originally Posted by sblantipodi View Post

Is there someone who owned both CPUs and can list the differences?

Hello

I have both and yes I could but ....
post #1563 of 7252
Quote:
Originally Posted by cekim View Post

1. more voltage: yes, particularly when you consider absolute GHz you will obtain for any given voltage

2. hotter: no, particularly per core and particularly when you consider the above. A 1.35V HWE would generally be harder to cool than a 1.35V BWE

main difference is narrower range of OC until you get to ludicrous voltages that you should not be using for 24/7.

Cache overclock on BWE seems to be also much more difficutl than with HWE
My war machine
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL Core i7-5930K @ Core=4,6GHz / Cache=4,3GHz ASUS X99-Deluxe II (BIOS 1401) GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC 11G @ Co... G.SKILL Trident Z DDR4-3200 32GB=8GBx4 CL14 @ 3... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
SSD SAMSUNG 850 PRO 1TB (System) HDD WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Blue 1TB SATA3-600 6... LG BH16NS40 NOCTUA NH-D15 with 2 fans NOCTUA NF-A15 PWM pu... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
MICROSOFT Windows 10 Professional 64-bit ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q LOGITECH G810 Orion Spectrum COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M2 1000W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
ANTEC Nine Hundred Two V3 (Opened side panel) LOGITECH G402 Hyperion Fury RAZER Goliathus Control (Small) SOUND CARD REALTEK ALC1150 on-board 
AudioAudioOtherOther
SPEAKERS CREATIVE Inspire T6160 HEADSET ACER Predator Gaming WEBCAM LOGITECH C170 PRINTER EPSON DX8450 
Other
FTTH INTERNET CONNECTION : 300Mbps DL / 110Mbps UL 
  hide details  
Reply
My war machine
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL Core i7-5930K @ Core=4,6GHz / Cache=4,3GHz ASUS X99-Deluxe II (BIOS 1401) GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC 11G @ Co... G.SKILL Trident Z DDR4-3200 32GB=8GBx4 CL14 @ 3... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
SSD SAMSUNG 850 PRO 1TB (System) HDD WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Blue 1TB SATA3-600 6... LG BH16NS40 NOCTUA NH-D15 with 2 fans NOCTUA NF-A15 PWM pu... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
MICROSOFT Windows 10 Professional 64-bit ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q LOGITECH G810 Orion Spectrum COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M2 1000W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
ANTEC Nine Hundred Two V3 (Opened side panel) LOGITECH G402 Hyperion Fury RAZER Goliathus Control (Small) SOUND CARD REALTEK ALC1150 on-board 
AudioAudioOtherOther
SPEAKERS CREATIVE Inspire T6160 HEADSET ACER Predator Gaming WEBCAM LOGITECH C170 PRINTER EPSON DX8450 
Other
FTTH INTERNET CONNECTION : 300Mbps DL / 110Mbps UL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1564 of 7252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praz View Post

Hello

I have both and yes I could but ....


Cue droll dull posts about how disappointing an upgrade it is, and how nobody is answering the misguided questions. Finally, followed by several months of sporadic posts telling other users not to bother.

People have been shot for less.
post #1565 of 7252
So it has been several weeks since I posted a photo of my Deluxe II and 6850k. Over the weeks, I have changed the board for an MSI Gaming Pro Carbon, and have had 3 different gtx 1080's. I have finally settled on an EVGA FTW. I switched from the Deluxe II board to the MSI because the lighting on the Deluxe II was faulty among many other quirks and issues.

I just began overclocking tonight and I am seeing just about what everyone else is reporting. I hit 4.3ghz without much effort, but I have been unable to get a stable 4.4ghz as of yet. I feel like when I have more time to mess with it, I could probably achieve 4.4ghz, but it is very hard to make time to dial it in and I also don't want to cook this chip with a ton of voltage since it is the most expensive CPU I have ever owned.

At 4.3ghz, I am able to achieve 1322 in Cinebench R15. I've been letting AIDA64 run for a little over an hour now, and so far everything has been stable. I will probably run a longer stability test once I settle on voltages. Right now I am at 1.300, but I think with a little tweaking I can get it under 1.3.

Overall, unlike many, I am very happy with my chip. With that being said, this is my first X99 build, so I have a feeling I would be a bit more let down if I had come from a 5930k. I realize I am taking a VERY slight performance hit in gaming, coming from a 6700k (4.7ghz), but it is worth it to me.

Just wanted to stop by and share my experience thus far.
post #1566 of 7252
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan13 View Post

I switched from the Deluxe II board to the MSI because the lighting on the Deluxe II was faulty among many other quirks and issues.
.

Care to expand on this?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6900k Asus x99 Deluxe II NVidia 980 Ti G-Skill F4-3200C14Q-64GTZSW 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Samsung Evo 950 PRO m.2 Corsair h100i v2 CLC  EVGA 220-G2-0750-XR NZXT s340 white 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6900k Asus x99 Deluxe II NVidia 980 Ti G-Skill F4-3200C14Q-64GTZSW 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Samsung Evo 950 PRO m.2 Corsair h100i v2 CLC  EVGA 220-G2-0750-XR NZXT s340 white 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1567 of 7252
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibraslap View Post

Care to expand on this?

So the issues I had with the Deluxe II started with hangs on boot. At first I wrote it off as needing to update the BIOS. I then updated the BIOS and installed all of the necessary drivers, which did not help.

The boot issues were very odd. Sometimes it wouldn't boot at all and hang on a blank screen (error light on the board pointed to my video card being the problem). Sometimes it would boot, but it would take over a minute to do so. Sometimes it would boot loop, and finally, sometimes it would boot all the way to the Windows login screen and then reboot before I could enter my password. I did try reseating the video card as well as moving the RAM around and neither helped. I also tried updating the BIOS again which did not help.

I then started messing with the RGB lighting, and the PCH would not change color no matter what I did. It was stuck at the default color which meant it was kind of pointless to have RGB at all since the default color was red. Sometimes the PCIe slots would also not respond to the changes I made inside the Aura software. Also, I didn't realize this before I bought the board, but the lighting stays on even when the computer is off. The only way to turn the lighting off was to flip the switch on my power supply. The issue with that is the motherboard would not save your color selections after turning off the power supply. Incredibly frustrating when this board cost over $400.

I contacted Asus support and explained my issues and what I had already tried to do to remedy the problems I was having. They sent back a message asking me to try what I just told them I had. They weren't asking me to try it AGAIN- their response read as though they had not even read what I told them about my troubleshooting. Upon explaining to them I had already done what they suggested multiple times, they replied with a link to a BIOS to download and asked that I try that. Upon opening the link, it wasn't even the correct BIOS for my board!

At that point, I just gave up and sent the board back for a refund. It's a shame because it was a very feature rich board with tons of accessories. I wish I could have gotten the issues fixed, but after they suggested I update the BIOS with a BIOS from a different board, I lost it. I thought to myself that even if I RMA this board and get a functional one, do I want to have a $400+ motherboard that comes with some of the worst support I had ever encountered.

I ordered the Gaming Pro Carbon, and it has run flawlessly from day one.
post #1568 of 7252
Thread Starter 
I decided to settle with 4.3 ghz / 1.278v. I upped the cache to 3.5ghz. The ~200 points for 3dmark and 30-40 points on cinebench is not worth the amount of time, energy, and volts to stabilize 4.4. ... at least until I get a second radiator. biggrin.gif

Now to wait for my step up 1080 to get off queue. wink.gif
My latest Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 AsRock X370 TaiChi EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0 G.Skill 32MB 3200mhz DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung EVO 500GB SSD Samsung EVO Pro 512MB M2 Drive XSPC Raystorm Pro AlphaCool ST30 360 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair SP120 x6 push/pull Windows 10 Acer Predator X34 Corsair K70 RGB 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX1200 Inwin 909 Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Corsair MM300 
  hide details  
Reply
My latest Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 AsRock X370 TaiChi EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0 G.Skill 32MB 3200mhz DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung EVO 500GB SSD Samsung EVO Pro 512MB M2 Drive XSPC Raystorm Pro AlphaCool ST30 360 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair SP120 x6 push/pull Windows 10 Acer Predator X34 Corsair K70 RGB 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX1200 Inwin 909 Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Corsair MM300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1569 of 7252
Quote:
Originally Posted by cekim View Post

1. more voltage: yes, particularly when you consider absolute GHz you will obtain for any given voltage

2. hotter: no, particularly per core and particularly when you consider the above. A 1.35V HWE would generally be harder to cool than a 1.35V BWE

main difference is narrower range of OC until you get to ludicrous voltages that you should not be using for 24/7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRABibus View Post

Cache overclock on BWE seems to be also much more difficutl than with HWE

Thank you guys
DeskStar
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5930K Asus X99 Deluxe EVGA GTX980 Ti SC+ ACX2.0+ SLI 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2800@2666MHz 15-15-... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 512GB Samsung 850 EVO 1TB Western Digital Black 2TB Corsair Force GT 240GB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Plextor PX-B320SA Blu-ray Corsair H80i AIO Windows 10, CentOS 7 EIZO S2433W 24.1" 1920x1200 60Hz 
PowerCaseOtherOther
Corsair AX860i Lian-li PC7FNWX Gigabit Internet Cyberpower Smart UPS PR1500ELCD 1500VA/1350W Si... 
  hide details  
Reply
DeskStar
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5930K Asus X99 Deluxe EVGA GTX980 Ti SC+ ACX2.0+ SLI 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2800@2666MHz 15-15-... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 512GB Samsung 850 EVO 1TB Western Digital Black 2TB Corsair Force GT 240GB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Plextor PX-B320SA Blu-ray Corsair H80i AIO Windows 10, CentOS 7 EIZO S2433W 24.1" 1920x1200 60Hz 
PowerCaseOtherOther
Corsair AX860i Lian-li PC7FNWX Gigabit Internet Cyberpower Smart UPS PR1500ELCD 1500VA/1350W Si... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1570 of 7252
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan13 View Post

So the issues I had with the Deluxe II started with hangs on boot. At first I wrote it off as needing to update the BIOS. I then updated the BIOS and installed all of the necessary drivers, which did not help.

The boot issues were very odd. Sometimes it wouldn't boot at all and hang on a blank screen (error light on the board pointed to my video card being the problem). Sometimes it would boot, but it would take over a minute to do so. Sometimes it would boot loop, and finally, sometimes it would boot all the way to the Windows login screen and then reboot before I could enter my password. I did try reseating the video card as well as moving the RAM around and neither helped. I also tried updating the BIOS again which did not help.

I then started messing with the RGB lighting, and the PCH would not change color no matter what I did. It was stuck at the default color which meant it was kind of pointless to have RGB at all since the default color was red. Sometimes the PCIe slots would also not respond to the changes I made inside the Aura software. Also, I didn't realize this before I bought the board, but the lighting stays on even when the computer is off. The only way to turn the lighting off was to flip the switch on my power supply. The issue with that is the motherboard would not save your color selections after turning off the power supply. Incredibly frustrating when this board cost over $400.

I contacted Asus support and explained my issues and what I had already tried to do to remedy the problems I was having. They sent back a message asking me to try what I just told them I had. They weren't asking me to try it AGAIN- their response read as though they had not even read what I told them about my troubleshooting. Upon explaining to them I had already done what they suggested multiple times, they replied with a link to a BIOS to download and asked that I try that. Upon opening the link, it wasn't even the correct BIOS for my board!

At that point, I just gave up and sent the board back for a refund. It's a shame because it was a very feature rich board with tons of accessories. I wish I could have gotten the issues fixed, but after they suggested I update the BIOS with a BIOS from a different board, I lost it. I thought to myself that even if I RMA this board and get a functional one, do I want to have a $400+ motherboard that comes with some of the worst support I had ever encountered.

I ordered the Gaming Pro Carbon, and it has run flawlessly from day one.

I'm glad i never have these strange problem, guess I'm just really lucky...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Broadwell-E thread