Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [TFT Central] Asus Prototype - The First 4K 144Hz Monitor with DP 1.3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[TFT Central] Asus Prototype - The First 4K 144Hz Monitor with DP 1.3 - Page 10

post #91 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by littledonny View Post

Swapping states adds no motion information if the color information of the pixel doesn't change, which it won't until the GPU feeds the monitor a new frame.

Input lag may decrease, but motion clarity will not increase.

Swapping states really fast is what reduce motion blur, it doesn't really add more information to the signal that's being provided to the monitor from the GPU, but it dramatically decrease the motion blur introduced by a moving imagen because of how fast the monitor is refreshing its pixels, even at lower FPS.
post #92 of 151
@BradleyW

That doesn't sound right to me. You're right that motion clarity is a result of how fast pixels can change from one color to another, but it is largely dependent on the pixel response time on whether or not a 144hz capable monitor will perform better than a 60hz monitor.

If a 60 and 144hz monitor have the exact same pixel response time throughout the 0-255 color spectrum up to 60hz, then both will have the same blur characteristics, given equal frame times and no strobing being used.

If a 60hz and 144hz monitor are showing 60fps at their native refresh rate and both have the same response times, then motion clarity will look the same, given equal frame times and lack of strobing.

However, high refresh rate monitors are much more forgiving with frame time latency due to the fact that there are more ms intervals that 144hz can play with than 60hz can. This will help you get smaller tearing/partial frames and less delay/lag with wonky frame times. In that sense, yes, high refresh rate monitors are smoother than 60hz.

Reaponse times determine whether or not you can actually see the extra frames produced on a higher refresh rate monitor. I think you need something like 16.67ms response time for a 60hz monitor and half that for 120hz (or at least quarter for strobed 120hz to account for the black frames that are inserted). If the panel cannot at least meet those response time requirements, then the extra frame generated do not contribute to motion clarity.

It does seem that on some monitors that higher refresh rates do lower input lag slightly, which is nice.
post #93 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargonplay View Post

Swapping states really fast is what reduce motion blur, it doesn't really add more information to the signal that's being provided to the monitor from the GPU, but it dramatically decrease the motion blur introduced by a moving imagen because of how fast the monitor is refreshing its pixels, even at lower FPS.

Swapping states really fast can cause motion blur if the panel can't refresh fast enough to keep up. That doesn't change the fact that motion clarity also depends on frame rate, and is proportional to the lowest of the two.
Overkill
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5820k @ 4.625Ghz ASUS Rampage V Extreme GTX 1080 Ti 32GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3200Mhz CL14 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Intel 750 400GB Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB WD Black 4TB 7200RPM 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM Corsair H80i GT Windows 10 Professional Acer Predator X34 3440x1440 100hz IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer BlackWidow Chroma Corsair RM1000i SilverStone RV02 Razer DeathAdder 3G 
AudioAudioAudio
TEAC HA-501 HRT Music Streamer II+ DAC Sennheiser HD650 
  hide details  
Reply
Overkill
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5820k @ 4.625Ghz ASUS Rampage V Extreme GTX 1080 Ti 32GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3200Mhz CL14 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Intel 750 400GB Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB WD Black 4TB 7200RPM 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM Corsair H80i GT Windows 10 Professional Acer Predator X34 3440x1440 100hz IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer BlackWidow Chroma Corsair RM1000i SilverStone RV02 Razer DeathAdder 3G 
AudioAudioAudio
TEAC HA-501 HRT Music Streamer II+ DAC Sennheiser HD650 
  hide details  
Reply
post #94 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by airisom2 View Post

@BradleyW

That doesn't sound right to me. You're right that motion clarity is a result of how fast pixels can change from one color to another, but it is largely dependent on the pixel response time on whether or not a 144hz capable monitor will perform better than a 60hz monitor.

If a 60 and 144hz monitor have the exact same pixel response time throughout the 0-255 color spectrum up to 60hz, then both will have the same blur characteristics, given equal frame times and no strobing being used.

If a 60hz and 144hz monitor are showing 60fps at their native refresh rate and both have the same response times, then motion clarity will look the same, given equal frame times and lack of strobing.

However, high refresh rate monitors are much more forgiving with frame time latency due to the fact that there are more ms intervals that 144hz can play with than 60hz can. This will help you get smaller tearing/partial frames and less delay/lag with wonky frame times. In that sense, yes, high refresh rate monitors are smoother than 60hz.

Reaponse times determine whether or not you can actually see the extra frames produced on a higher refresh rate monitor. I think you need something like 16.67ms response time for a 60hz monitor and half that for 120hz (or at least quarter for strobed 120hz to account for the black frames that are inserted). If the panel cannot at least meet those response time requirements, then the extra frame generated do not contribute to motion clarity.

It does seem that on some monitors that higher refresh rates do lower input lag slightly, which is nice.

This explains it better than I could.
Overkill
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5820k @ 4.625Ghz ASUS Rampage V Extreme GTX 1080 Ti 32GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3200Mhz CL14 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Intel 750 400GB Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB WD Black 4TB 7200RPM 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM Corsair H80i GT Windows 10 Professional Acer Predator X34 3440x1440 100hz IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer BlackWidow Chroma Corsair RM1000i SilverStone RV02 Razer DeathAdder 3G 
AudioAudioAudio
TEAC HA-501 HRT Music Streamer II+ DAC Sennheiser HD650 
  hide details  
Reply
Overkill
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5820k @ 4.625Ghz ASUS Rampage V Extreme GTX 1080 Ti 32GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3200Mhz CL14 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Intel 750 400GB Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB WD Black 4TB 7200RPM 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM Corsair H80i GT Windows 10 Professional Acer Predator X34 3440x1440 100hz IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer BlackWidow Chroma Corsair RM1000i SilverStone RV02 Razer DeathAdder 3G 
AudioAudioAudio
TEAC HA-501 HRT Music Streamer II+ DAC Sennheiser HD650 
  hide details  
Reply
post #95 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post

Do you own a 144 Hz panel?
Not only is this ad hominem, it's an ironic amount of condescension for someone with a monitor with very little motion clarity for dark shades.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6700k 4.5 GHz 1.3v Asus Z170i MSI 980Ti 1490/7760 MHz G.skill DDR4 8 GB x2 3733 MHz 15-15-15-35-1 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB Crucial M4 256 GB NH-C14S Windows 10 Student 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
TBD Cooler Master Quick Fire TK Corsair SF600 Fractal Core 500 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Zowie EC2-A Zowie G TF-X Fiio E17 v1 Sennheiser HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6700k 4.5 GHz 1.3v Asus Z170i MSI 980Ti 1490/7760 MHz G.skill DDR4 8 GB x2 3733 MHz 15-15-15-35-1 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB Crucial M4 256 GB NH-C14S Windows 10 Student 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
TBD Cooler Master Quick Fire TK Corsair SF600 Fractal Core 500 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Zowie EC2-A Zowie G TF-X Fiio E17 v1 Sennheiser HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #96 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinkadink View Post

If it ain't OLED then it ain't worth it tongue.gif


that's true, at least for me... i have an acer xb270hu currently, it's much better than the TN before, and i'll keep it until oled becomes affordable... i guess 4k ips with ulmb and vrr will be available sooner, but it's the same tech, only more demanding.
post #97 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post

Not only is this ad hominem, it's an ironic amount of condescension for someone with a monitor with very little motion clarity for dark shades.

Well I own a small number of different screens including super fast TN's, and my question is valid.

Problem?
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #98 of 151
HDR 144hz 4k, yes thank you
Thyslexia
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1600 ga B350 gaming 3 Nitro sapphire 390 16gb corsair lpx 2933mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
samsung 850 pro  sony water w10 64bit Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
acer xg270hu 1440p 144hz! steelseries 6gv2 Corsair 750w Cm 840 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
corsair deathadder (G400 cable went bad) sennheiser HD 600 asus essence stx 
  hide details  
Reply
Thyslexia
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1600 ga B350 gaming 3 Nitro sapphire 390 16gb corsair lpx 2933mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
samsung 850 pro  sony water w10 64bit Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
acer xg270hu 1440p 144hz! steelseries 6gv2 Corsair 750w Cm 840 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
corsair deathadder (G400 cable went bad) sennheiser HD 600 asus essence stx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #99 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post

Problem?
None. Just pointing out the rhetorical flaws in your misinformed arguments.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6700k 4.5 GHz 1.3v Asus Z170i MSI 980Ti 1490/7760 MHz G.skill DDR4 8 GB x2 3733 MHz 15-15-15-35-1 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB Crucial M4 256 GB NH-C14S Windows 10 Student 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
TBD Cooler Master Quick Fire TK Corsair SF600 Fractal Core 500 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Zowie EC2-A Zowie G TF-X Fiio E17 v1 Sennheiser HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6700k 4.5 GHz 1.3v Asus Z170i MSI 980Ti 1490/7760 MHz G.skill DDR4 8 GB x2 3733 MHz 15-15-15-35-1 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB Crucial M4 256 GB NH-C14S Windows 10 Student 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
TBD Cooler Master Quick Fire TK Corsair SF600 Fractal Core 500 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Zowie EC2-A Zowie G TF-X Fiio E17 v1 Sennheiser HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #100 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post

None. Just pointing out the rhetorical flaws in your misinformed arguments.

lachen.gif
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [TFT Central] Asus Prototype - The First 4K 144Hz Monitor with DP 1.3