Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › 980 Ti Classified vs. 1080 FE
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

980 Ti Classified vs. 1080 FE - Page 2

Poll Results: Which card would you keep?

Poll expired: Jun 5, 2016  
  • 25% (5)
    EVGA 980 Ti Classified
  • 75% (15)
    EVGA 1080 Founder's Edition
20 Total Votes  
post #11 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrossewacker View Post

I'd return that Classified. Buying it now is kind of stupid considering the typical price drop that comes after the new gen comes.

This exact statement, 1million percent.
post #12 of 34
If it were me, I would try to return both cards and then buy an evga 1080 FE and use the step-up program to upgrade to a 1080 FTW or Classified when they become available.
Skylake 2016
(13 items)
 
Gaming/HTPC
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz  Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming  Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming  
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200mhz 16GBx2 Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2x Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB Raid0 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
WD Blue 2TB Noctua NH-D15 Dell U3415w EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k Asus P8Z68-M Pro Asus Strix GTX 970 G.Skill Sniper DDR3 2400 8GBx2 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 Seagate 1.5TB Lite-On iHAS424 Phanteks PH-TC12DX  
PowerCase
Corsair CX600 Rosewill Future ATX 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake 2016
(13 items)
 
Gaming/HTPC
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz  Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming  Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming  
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200mhz 16GBx2 Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2x Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB Raid0 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
WD Blue 2TB Noctua NH-D15 Dell U3415w EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k Asus P8Z68-M Pro Asus Strix GTX 970 G.Skill Sniper DDR3 2400 8GBx2 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 Seagate 1.5TB Lite-On iHAS424 Phanteks PH-TC12DX  
PowerCase
Corsair CX600 Rosewill Future ATX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 34
Im convinced that you could squeeze more performance out of a highly overclocked 980ti classified

BUT

As others have said the price drop on previous gen cards is going to come hard and fast. Smartest option would be to keep the FE 1080 to hold you over until the 1080ti is released.
post #14 of 34
Synopsis

Subject: MNiceGuy
Action: Buying a video card
Options: 1) 980 ti Classified ($670) 2) GTX 1080 FE ($699)

If option 3 was to buy a used 980 ti for $350, Pick 3. Otherwise pick 2 -- good match for your 1440p UW, longer life, 180W TDP vs 275W, VR. There is no reason to buy a 980 TI at retail pricing now. It's beat in all aspects.
post #15 of 34
Thread Starter 
Thanks everyone so far for the honestly and good feedback.

Obviously my timing on the 980 Ti purchase was awful. Leading up to this scenario I had been busy with the birth of my daughter, a job change, and some other time-consuming interests. As a result, gaming took the back burner for quite a while.

Recently as things began to calm down I decided to try and get back into some gaming. After much back and forth, I picked up the X34 and immediately fell in love with it. It's really hard to game on anything else once you've had some time with ultrawide, G-Sync goodness (which is why I suspect consumers have been so tolerant of the shoddy QA but I digress).. The problem came when both games I really had my heart set on playing, Doom and Arkham Knight, did and still do no support SLI. It can be forced in Doom without too many side effects but Arkham is a total mess. A single 780 Ti just couldn't cut it at the X34's resolution so I decided I had to do something.

I've been using SLI since the 8800 GTX days in both desktops and laptops and while overall my experiences have been good, those times where it's not so good have been increasingly difficult for me. Since there were single cards on or about to be on the market that could drive my new resolution respectably, it seemed the best option for me was to go for a 980 Ti or 1080.

I knew 1080 was around the corner but I wanted an immediate solution and I (correctly) suspected the launch inventory was going to be very low. I simply wasn't willing to wait any longer, after going to the trouble of making the screen upgrade, for a 1080 to become available to me. I found an open-box Classified for a very fair price and just decided to go for it. Coming across the 1080 in the wild has thrown a small wrench in my plan and hence this thread.

TL;DR I didn't think I would be able to source a 1080 for a while, got impatient, and picked up a 980 Ti instead.
post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNiceGuy View Post

Thanks everyone so far for the honestly and good feedback.

Obviously my timing on the 980 Ti purchase was awful. Leading up to this scenario I had been busy with the birth of my daughter, a job change, and some other time-consuming interests. As a result, gaming took the back burner for quite a while.

Recently as things began to calm down I decided to try and get back into some gaming. After much back and forth, I picked up the X34 and immediately fell in love with it. It's really hard to game on anything else once you've had some time with ultrawide, G-Sync goodness (which is why I suspect consumers have been so tolerant of the shoddy QA but I digress).. The problem came when both games I really had my heart set on playing, Doom and Arkham Knight, did and still do no support SLI. It can be forced in Doom without too many side effects but Arkham is a total mess. A single 780 Ti just couldn't cut it at the X34's resolution so I decided I had to do something.

I've been using SLI since the 8800 GTX days in both desktops and laptops and while overall my experiences have been good, those times where it's not so good have been increasingly difficult for me. Since there were single cards on or about to be on the market that could drive my new resolution respectably, it seemed the best option for me was to go for a 980 Ti or 1080.

I knew 1080 was around the corner but I wanted an immediate solution and I (correctly) suspected the launch inventory was going to be very low. I simply wasn't willing to wait any longer, after going to the trouble of making the screen upgrade, for a 1080 to become available to me. I found an open-box Classified for a very fair price and just decided to go for it. Coming across the 1080 in the wild has thrown a small wrench in my plan and hence this thread.

TL;DR I didn't think I would be able to source a 1080 for a while, got impatient, and picked up a 980 Ti instead.


I do not think it was a bad idea. but with some other Ti going for $520~ new that would of been better than $700 Ti at Launch with FEs being same cost. I had same dilemma and ended up grabbing a second Ti... Saving my $400+ in pocket from going Ti instead of 1080 FE for the new Ti cards or Titans/Vega when its out.
Calico
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
5820K ASRock X99X Fatal1ty Killer MSI 980 Ti OC MSI 980 Ti OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Geil EVO Potenza Cyclone SSD Toshiba X300 5TB MSI EK 980ti 6G Full coverage Block 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
MSI EK 980ti 6G Full coverage Block Magicool extreme slim 360MM Rad Alphacool XT45 240MM Rad Alphacool Eisfach 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Swiftech Apogee HD 11x SuperFlower SF-102 Turbo Fans Windows 10 Pro Yamakasi Catleap Multi 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Yamakasi Jupiter Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 Superflower Leadex Platinum 1200w Phanteks Enthoo Primo 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech G700s Dollar Mousepad Logitech Z623 Superflower SF-609 Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
Calico
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
5820K ASRock X99X Fatal1ty Killer MSI 980 Ti OC MSI 980 Ti OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Geil EVO Potenza Cyclone SSD Toshiba X300 5TB MSI EK 980ti 6G Full coverage Block 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
MSI EK 980ti 6G Full coverage Block Magicool extreme slim 360MM Rad Alphacool XT45 240MM Rad Alphacool Eisfach 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Swiftech Apogee HD 11x SuperFlower SF-102 Turbo Fans Windows 10 Pro Yamakasi Catleap Multi 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Yamakasi Jupiter Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 Superflower Leadex Platinum 1200w Phanteks Enthoo Primo 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech G700s Dollar Mousepad Logitech Z623 Superflower SF-609 Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 34
1080 FE.
post #18 of 34
Keep both. Make living room SteamMachine and use the 980 for that.
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider7656 View Post

If it were me, I would try to return both cards and then buy an evga 1080 FE and use the step-up program to upgrade to a 1080 FTW or Classified when they become available.

You can't step-up to a FTW or Classified, X80 cards available as Step-up targets are generally Reference cards or base ACX cards or very rarely a SC card.

The official EVGA line, under Terms and Conditions
Quote:
EVGA will only release reference versions of its products, NVIDIA reference spec and clock, to the Step-Up program.

What the OP could do is to step-up the 980Ti Classified to a 1080 FE, as both cost about the same so nothing more than shipping needs to be paid. But 1080 SLI is overkill for his current monitor.
Edited by sherlock - 6/2/16 at 1:20pm
Skylake 1080 FTW
(18 items)
 
XPS 15
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K  ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger EVGA 1080 FTW TridentZ DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung SM951 128GB Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB Muskin Reactor 1TB Seagate Baracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 HDD 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Baracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 HDD Corsair H110i GT Windows 10 Pro  Acer XB321HK 32" 4K G-sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 Rapid Fire EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 NZXT H440 Black Logitech G900  
Mouse PadOther
Razer Vespula CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD - PFC Sinewave UPS Syst... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-7700HQ 2.8Ghz(3.8Ghz Turbo) Dell XPS 15-9560 Nvidia GTX 1050 8GB DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
256GB PCIE SSD Windows 10 Pro 15.6" 1080p 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake 1080 FTW
(18 items)
 
XPS 15
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K  ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger EVGA 1080 FTW TridentZ DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung SM951 128GB Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB Muskin Reactor 1TB Seagate Baracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 HDD 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Baracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 HDD Corsair H110i GT Windows 10 Pro  Acer XB321HK 32" 4K G-sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 Rapid Fire EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 NZXT H440 Black Logitech G900  
Mouse PadOther
Razer Vespula CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD - PFC Sinewave UPS Syst... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-7700HQ 2.8Ghz(3.8Ghz Turbo) Dell XPS 15-9560 Nvidia GTX 1050 8GB DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
256GB PCIE SSD Windows 10 Pro 15.6" 1080p 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock View Post

What the OP could do is to step-up the 980Ti Classified to a 1080 FE, as both cost about the same so nothing more than shipping needs to be paid. But 1080 SLI is overkill for his current monitor.

I already have an EVGA 1080 FE in-hand so all it would be is a matter of returning the Classified for a full refund.

The results are quite clear. Thanks again for those that voted and offered their wisdom on this. Looks like I'll be bolting in a 1080 later tonight thumb.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › 980 Ti Classified vs. 1080 FE