Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [OverclockersClub]Overclock showdown: GTX 980Ti vs GTX 1070 vs GTX 1080
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[OverclockersClub]Overclock showdown: GTX 980Ti vs GTX 1070 vs GTX 1080 - Page 16

post #151 of 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosshatch3D View Post


I can step-up from the EVGA 980TI FTW to the FTW 1080 , It's not a TI version but I wonder if I would lose anything, or gain anything at all?

-Jason

 

How were you able to step up to the FTW edition? The highest end one you can step up to currently is the regular ACX3.0 cooler using the reference board.

post #152 of 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by duganator View Post

Aren't the boost clocks in the 1700s? How is being able to get the card over 2000 not overclocking headroom?

It is all about percentages:

GTX 980Ti overclock 26%: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_980_Ti/34.html
GTX 1080 overclock 11%: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080/30.html
Super P's rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x ASUS X99-A II Asus GTX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
MyDigitalSSD BPX NVMe Samsung 850 EVO Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB External DVDRW 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK-XLC Predator 240 Swiftech 240mm Radiator Windows 10 Samsung 40" 4K - UN40KU6290 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G710+ EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 Fractal Design Define S G700s 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Vipamz Extended XXXL Asus U7 M-Audio AV40 Sennheiser HD 439 
  hide details  
Reply
Super P's rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x ASUS X99-A II Asus GTX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
MyDigitalSSD BPX NVMe Samsung 850 EVO Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB External DVDRW 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK-XLC Predator 240 Swiftech 240mm Radiator Windows 10 Samsung 40" 4K - UN40KU6290 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G710+ EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 Fractal Design Define S G700s 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Vipamz Extended XXXL Asus U7 M-Audio AV40 Sennheiser HD 439 
  hide details  
Reply
post #153 of 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaesthetic View Post

How were you able to step up to the FTW edition? The highest end one you can step up to currently is the regular ACX3.0 cooler using the reference board.

I made a mistake and made the correction in the other thread.

I wonder if I got the regular 3.0 ACX, if I would see any improvement at all over my 980TI FTW?

You are right.

-Jason
post #154 of 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by criminal View Post

It is all about percentages:

GTX 980Ti overclock 26%: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_980_Ti/34.html
GTX 1080 overclock 11%: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080/30.html

Maybe it's not a bad thing, could be that overclocking became a little too easy and we need to get back to the days of twisting every knob and sliding every dial just to scratch out double digit mhz. Squeezing out a %10 overclock on a chip that most can only get %8 out of can be more satisfying that getting a %50 overclock out of a chip that everyone gets %50 out of. Also, the constant reboots from PITA overclocking is nice reminder of how smart it was to ditch mechanical drives for SSD's.

Then again, the set it and forget it Maxwell overclocking is very convenient.
Computer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 Nvidia GTX 1080ti FE (EK block) CORSAIR Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo Mushkin Reactor Custom Loop Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Ben Q BL3201PT Logitech G110 EVGA 1300w Thermatake Core P5 
MouseAudio
LOGITECH G502 PROTEUS CORE Corsair 2100 
  hide details  
Reply
Computer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 Nvidia GTX 1080ti FE (EK block) CORSAIR Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo Mushkin Reactor Custom Loop Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Ben Q BL3201PT Logitech G110 EVGA 1300w Thermatake Core P5 
MouseAudio
LOGITECH G502 PROTEUS CORE Corsair 2100 
  hide details  
Reply
post #155 of 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjdubb View Post

Maybe it's not a bad thing, could be that overclocking became a little too easy and we need to get back to the days of twisting every knob and sliding every dial just to scratch out double digit mhz. Squeezing out a %10 overclock on a chip that most can only get %8 out of can be more satisfying that getting a %50 overclock out of a chip that everyone gets %50 out of. Also, the constant reboots from PITA overclocking is nice reminder of how smart it was to ditch mechanical drives for SSD's.

Then again, the set it and forget it Maxwell overclocking is very convenient.

I like that statement.

-Jason
post #156 of 389
Not gonna lie, this being the week before the launch of the 1070, I was hoping we'd get more info on the cards like we did 2 weeks ago with the 1080.
post #157 of 389
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimlock View Post

Not gonna lie, this being the week before the launch of the 1070, I was hoping we'd get more info on the cards like we did 2 weeks ago with the 1080.

What more info do you need?
post #158 of 389
If I'm reading it correctly, they are measuring two different things. In the 980ti one the oc is based on the base clock to give you 26% increase, while in the 1080s case they are measuring the max boost clock vs max oc to give them 11%
Quote:
Originally Posted by criminal View Post

It is all about percentages:

GTX 980Ti overclock 26%: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_980_Ti/34.html
GTX 1080 overclock 11%: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080/30.html
post #159 of 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeakStuff View Post

What more info do you need?

Benchs, comparisons to the 1080. The same stuff we got when the NDA lifted on the 1080. OC performance.
post #160 of 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by duganator View Post

If I'm reading it correctly, they are measuring two different things. In the 980ti one the oc is based on the base clock to give you 26% increase, while in the 1080s case they are measuring the max boost clock vs max oc to give them 11%

So if we do the math ourselves and take the base clock for each compared to the max clock for each, we are looking at a 32% overclock on the 1080 and a 44% overclock on the 980Ti. Still 12% difference.
Super P's rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x ASUS X99-A II Asus GTX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
MyDigitalSSD BPX NVMe Samsung 850 EVO Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB External DVDRW 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK-XLC Predator 240 Swiftech 240mm Radiator Windows 10 Samsung 40" 4K - UN40KU6290 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G710+ EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 Fractal Design Define S G700s 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Vipamz Extended XXXL Asus U7 M-Audio AV40 Sennheiser HD 439 
  hide details  
Reply
Super P's rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x ASUS X99-A II Asus GTX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
MyDigitalSSD BPX NVMe Samsung 850 EVO Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB External DVDRW 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK-XLC Predator 240 Swiftech 240mm Radiator Windows 10 Samsung 40" 4K - UN40KU6290 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G710+ EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 Fractal Design Define S G700s 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Vipamz Extended XXXL Asus U7 M-Audio AV40 Sennheiser HD 439 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [OverclockersClub]Overclock showdown: GTX 980Ti vs GTX 1070 vs GTX 1080