Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Corsair h115i Exhaust Fans
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Corsair h115i Exhaust Fans

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
Just purchased the Corsair Hydro Series H115i and I want it to exhaust air from my case, is this the correct or recommended setup for the fans? Also looking to replace the stock fans with something better but with a red theme. Would the Corsair SP 120s be a solid choice? And is 120 the right size or should I be looking for 140s? Any fan recommendations with a red theme would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.
post #2 of 8
You do not want to push hot case air through the rad, set it as an intake.
Corsair sp 120s are a bad choice and will not fit your cooler.
You should be looking at 140mm fans. EK Vardars, NB eLoops, and a few others are far superior to corsair stuff.
Send that cooler back and get a better cooling solution while you're at it.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
6700K delid and reseal 4.93ghz Asus Maximus VIII Formula Nvidia Titan X Pascal Nvidia Titan X Pascal 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
32gb TZ DDR4 3200 @ 3618mhz 15-15-15-35-2 Samsung SM951 m.2 SSD Samsung 850 Evo SSD Samsung 850 Evo SSD 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 pro Dell U3415w Asus PB278 Corsair K70 RGB mechanical w/brown switches 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA Supernova P2 1200w Caselabs Mercury s8 Logitech G502 RGB Schiit audio Modi 2 DAC 
AudioAudioOther
Schiit audio Magni 2 amp Sennheiser HD600 headphones Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 pro 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
6700K delid and reseal 4.93ghz Asus Maximus VIII Formula Nvidia Titan X Pascal Nvidia Titan X Pascal 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
32gb TZ DDR4 3200 @ 3618mhz 15-15-15-35-2 Samsung SM951 m.2 SSD Samsung 850 Evo SSD Samsung 850 Evo SSD 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 pro Dell U3415w Asus PB278 Corsair K70 RGB mechanical w/brown switches 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA Supernova P2 1200w Caselabs Mercury s8 Logitech G502 RGB Schiit audio Modi 2 DAC 
AudioAudioOther
Schiit audio Magni 2 amp Sennheiser HD600 headphones Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctaylor88 View Post

Just purchased the Corsair Hydro Series H115i and I want it to exhaust air from my case, is this the correct or recommended setup for the fans?

Yes, this is the correct setup for a CLC provided you have at least average airflow in your case. With even moderate airflow, in case temps should only be several degrees higher than ambient and will not affect your CPU temps to a great extent.

However, using the rad fans as intakes essentially turns the PC into a convection oven, and the temps of all of your other components will suffer. You would essentially be blowing warm air into the case at a far higher rate than it can be easily exhausted, so you would see rises most notably in GPU and VRM temps. The longer you use the PC, the higher in case temps would be, causing component temps to continually rise.

So, while you can get a couple of degrees better on CPU temps under load by running the fans as intake, it is an incredibly myopic approach to cooling when other components are air cooled. Your temps will be far better as a whole with the rad fans as exhaust - your GPU will thank you for it.

And on the subject of fans.....you do realize that you can buy a Swiftech H240-X2 for less than what you would wind up spending in an H115i and a pair of decent fans.......
Edited by ciarlatano - 6/3/16 at 9:51am
post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post

Yes, this is the correct setup for a CLC provided you have at least average airflow in your case. With even moderate airflow, in case temps should only be several degrees higher than ambient and will not affect your CPU temps to a great extent.

However, using the rad fans as intakes essentially turns the PC into a convection oven, and the temps of all of your other components will suffer. You would essentially be blowing warm air into the case at a far higher rate than it can be easily exhausted, so you would see rises most notably in GPU and VRM temps. The longer you use the PC, the higher in case temps would be, causing component temps to continually rise.

So, while you can get a couple of degrees better on CPU temps under load by running the fans as intake, it is an incredibly myopic approach to cooling when other components are air cooled. Your temps will be far better as a whole with the rad fans as exhaust - your GPU will thank you for it.

And on the subject of fans.....you do realize that you can buy a Swiftech H240-X2 for less than what you would wind up spending in an H115i and a pair of decent fans.......

No I don't realize at all "that you can buy a Swiftech H240-X2 for less than what you would wind up spending in an H115i and a pair of decent fans" because Swiftech h240-x2 goes for like $170+++ on Amazon. Their website is pretty obsolete, I even tried calling Swiftech twice yesterday during business hours, straight to maching. Terrible customer service IMO, could they have been busy? Sure but... lost a sale more than likely. Anyways where would you suggest purchasing the Swiftech H240-X2?
post #5 of 8
I don't believe there is an authorized Swiftech dealer on Amazon, so you have a markup there. Performance PCs is the largest Swiftech (and specialty liquid cooling as a whole) distributor in the US. They have it in stock for regular retail of $149 - http://www.performance-pcs.com/complete-kits/swiftech-h240-x2-aio-cpu-liquid-cooling-kit.html

As far as contacting Swiftech directly at the moment, realize that they are a small manufacturer and that most of their sales staff is currently at Computex. Their product support staff is in house there for RMAs and owner support. Not sure what to say regarding you not liking their web site design....
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post

I don't believe there is an authorized Swiftech dealer on Amazon, so you have a markup there. Performance PCs is the largest Swiftech (and specialty liquid cooling as a whole) distributor in the US. They have it in stock for regular retail of $149 - http://www.performance-pcs.com/complete-kits/swiftech-h240-x2-aio-cpu-liquid-cooling-kit.html

As far as contacting Swiftech directly at the moment, realize that they are a small manufacturer and that most of their sales staff is currently at Computex. Their product support staff is in house there for RMAs and owner support. Not sure what to say regarding you not liking their web site design....

Thanks for the link is that $149 out the door or before shipping/tax/other fee? I'm looking at $167 shipped off of Swiftechs website which is quite a bit more than the Corsair h115i at $119 shipped and to my door in two days.

So lets say I get the Swiftech x2... doesn't this thing come with its own PWM splitter? How will this interact with a case like the NZXT H440 that already has its own fan splitter. Its an extra layer of confusion to me, I'm sure its simple in the end but I haven't done a build in five years...
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctaylor88 View Post

Thanks for the link is that $149 out the door or before shipping/tax/other fee? I'm looking at $167 shipped off of Swiftechs website which is quite a bit more than the Corsair h115i at $119 shipped and to my door in two days.

So lets say I get the Swiftech x2... doesn't this thing come with its own PWM splitter? How will this interact with a case like the NZXT H440 that already has its own fan splitter. Its an extra layer of confusion to me, I'm sure its simple in the end but I haven't done a build in five years...

You have also stated you wanted to upgrade fans on the H115i. Good fans are going to run $18-25 each, and actually aren't going to do much of anything other than add to your expense and give you a placebo effect (subject for another thread that has been covered way too many times). That puts the two at almost exactly the same price. So, it basically becomes a question similar to "should I get the Lamborghini or Honda Accord for the same price if the Accord comes with yellow racing stickers and 18 inch rims?". If you don't see the inherent difference in performance, noise and quality between the Swiftech and Corsair pieces.....

The PWM splitter and case fan hub have no interaction. It couldn't be easier to set up.
post #8 of 8
also that h440 if unmodded is going to keep temps higher anyway. it has bad characteristics for water cooling. this is also not an opinion. its been proven over and over. if youre serious about going liquid cooling, buy a case designed for water cooling not silence.
w00t
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
ph2 x20be asus m4a785-m sapphire vapor-x 4850  geil black dragon 1066 5-5-5-15-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd  asus dvd multi-write arctic cooling freezer 64 pro win 7 ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung 42" lcd logitech wireless antec basic 500watt old dell crap 
MouseAudio
logitech wireless pioneer 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
w00t
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
ph2 x20be asus m4a785-m sapphire vapor-x 4850  geil black dragon 1066 5-5-5-15-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd  asus dvd multi-write arctic cooling freezer 64 pro win 7 ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung 42" lcd logitech wireless antec basic 500watt old dell crap 
MouseAudio
logitech wireless pioneer 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Corsair h115i Exhaust Fans