Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Guru3D] GeForce GTX 1080 2-way SLI (preliminary review)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Guru3D] GeForce GTX 1080 2-way SLI (preliminary review) - Page 5

post #41 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaesthetic View Post

I'd spend the extra $300 for the 1080 over the two 480s in XFire because XFire and SLI have been the most miserable experiences of my PC gaming life. They both are a complete headache to use. I don't have enough time in my life to troubleshoot why dual GPUs aren't working in the game I'm playing. I have more important things to do, and when I want to relax, I just want to be able to fire something up and have some fun.

Dual RX 480s over a single card solution is in my personal opinion just stupid. And I laugh when AMD and Nvidia market their cards in a way that dual GPUs are god's gift to mankind. Because it just sucks to use. Ughh I could rant forever on this topic.

Sorry to hear you had such a terrible experience , I personally haven't had much trouble with CFX and SLI over the years of using these setups , my last setup SLI 780ti's was very positive , worst case id have to wait a week for a SLI profile..

I'd def buy a SLI/CFX setup again but 1080 isn't enough to make me buy, il wait till Vega and Titan/1080ti release
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post

I don't understand the connection between the 970 and the 1080. Didn't the 970 was in terms of performance/price right were it supposed to be? it was a great 1080p performer, and it was not marketed as a 4K beast where it had the actual issues with the extra 0.5GB of memory.

Also 400$ for 480s with 4GB each? Why buy in 2016 a 4GB card? That 4GB is going to hinder the 480s at high resolution, which will make it useless, and you will not get the performance of the 1080s. We have already seen that on the fury x with HBM, so you want that with GDDR5?

That slide people keep referring to from AMD, stating higher performance than the 1080 at AOTS, was only run at 1080p, and for that, you don't need a 1080 or even a 480 CFX, or 8xmsaa, and you can run the game for 380$ with the 1070, 20$ less without any stuttering issues of CFX scaling issues, or heat issues, etc etc.

So comparing that, 480s 4GB in CFX vs the 1080, on just one game which favours AMD, and saying this is a fact for every game at every setting, is so freaking ridiculous, its getting embarrassing to read on OCN doh.gif

There is a 8GB 480 I'm assuming for $250 if the 199 4GB is not enough for your liking..
Devil's Lair
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K Asus Maximus VII Hero MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
240GB M.2 Kingston HyperX Predator 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SilverStone Tundra TD03-E Windows 10 Home 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2913WM Corsair K65 EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2  SilverStone Raven RV05 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Steelseries Rival  Steelseries Qck+ Corsair SP2500 
  hide details  
Reply
Devil's Lair
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K Asus Maximus VII Hero MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
240GB M.2 Kingston HyperX Predator 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SilverStone Tundra TD03-E Windows 10 Home 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2913WM Corsair K65 EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2  SilverStone Raven RV05 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Steelseries Rival  Steelseries Qck+ Corsair SP2500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post


I'm not understanding the disappointment with Pascal. What am I missing?

1080 completely destroys previous generation cards in ways I haven't seen in a long time, and it's not even the Ti version. At 1440p and even 4k it absolutely CHOMPS up those frames.



If people's disappointment is with the pricing, then I totally understand - but the pricing situation is purely because AMD hasn't stepped up (yet), and for no other reason.

From a pure graphics horsepower perspective this architecture is crazy powerful, and 1080 Ti is going to be even crazier.

Well,to me, the 1080's pricing competition is the 980Ti. You can get one brand new for $500,maybe even less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaesthetic View Post

I'd spend the extra $300 for the 1080 over the two 480s in XFire because XFire and SLI have been the most miserable experiences of my PC gaming life. They both are a complete headache to use. I don't have enough time in my life to troubleshoot why dual GPUs aren't working in the game I'm playing. I have more important things to do, and when I want to relax, I just want to be able to fire something up and have some fun.

Dual RX 480s over a single card solution is in my personal opinion just stupid. And I laugh when AMD and Nvidia market their cards in a way that dual GPUs are god's gift to mankind. Because it just sucks to use. Ughh I could rant forever on this topic.
While that is somewhat true,you have to acknowledge AMD has made good strides on the tech side and future of mGPU in DX12/Mantle. I just can't see multi-core not happening.Just a matter of how long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voice View Post

Honestly why do you care? This guy was probably just asked to spit out this article out as part of his job so he did it. They put this big preface on the intro the article to make sure no one gets the wrong idea and you still call it biased ?

And even if it is who cares? You're getting worked up over nothing. Just wait for the other benchmarks to come out from sites you trust.

I wouldn't if everyone got the same treatment.
Amelia
(13 items)
 
Professional
(13 items)
 
RCPC#1
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1100t MSI 890FX GD65 MSI Radeon HD5670 GSkill RipjawsX DDR3 PC3 12800 2x4GB CL8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 1TB SATA III Samsung BD Zalman 9900MAX Windows 7 64 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC 22" LED Logitech Kingwin Lazer Platinum 500w Fractal Design R3 
Other
Samsung 470 SSD 128GB 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 960T Asus M4A88T-VEVO Asus Strix R7 370 SuperTalent Perfomance 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
GSkill Snipers Monster Daytona Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7,200 RPM 16Mb cache Memorex DVD/RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H60 Windows 8N IBM 9494 19" LCD IBM 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair GS500 In Win H-Frame Wolfking OCZ Behemoth 
Audio
JBL Creature 
  hide details  
Reply
Amelia
(13 items)
 
Professional
(13 items)
 
RCPC#1
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1100t MSI 890FX GD65 MSI Radeon HD5670 GSkill RipjawsX DDR3 PC3 12800 2x4GB CL8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 1TB SATA III Samsung BD Zalman 9900MAX Windows 7 64 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC 22" LED Logitech Kingwin Lazer Platinum 500w Fractal Design R3 
Other
Samsung 470 SSD 128GB 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 960T Asus M4A88T-VEVO Asus Strix R7 370 SuperTalent Perfomance 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
GSkill Snipers Monster Daytona Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7,200 RPM 16Mb cache Memorex DVD/RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H60 Windows 8N IBM 9494 19" LCD IBM 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair GS500 In Win H-Frame Wolfking OCZ Behemoth 
Audio
JBL Creature 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post


I'm not understanding the disappointment with Pascal. What am I missing?

1080 completely destroys previous generation cards in ways I haven't seen in a long time, and it's not even the Ti version. At 1440p and even 4k it absolutely CHOMPS up those frames.



If people's disappointment is with the pricing, then I totally understand - but the pricing situation is purely because AMD hasn't stepped up (yet), and for no other reason.

From a pure graphics horsepower perspective this architecture is crazy powerful, and 1080 Ti is going to be even crazier.
Lol that bench is rubbish. I got a pair of 980's OC'd and get nowhere near 73fps on average in TW3 at 1440p/max settings. I need to OC my 4790K and memory and I get around 61fps most of the time and in very demanding scenes I can drop to as low as 45-50.
HKiNg 2.0
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790K Z97 Sabretooth Mark 2 PNY GTX 1080 Ti Founder's Edition Kingston HyperX Beast 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung EVO 850 500GB Kingston Digital 480GB Western Digital Black Caviar 500GB Seagate Backup Plus 3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Evo 850 500 GB PNY CS1311 960GB Corsair H60i Windows 10 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HM 850 Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Cougar 700M Gaming Mouse Turtle Beach Earforce Bravo  
AudioAudio
Logitech X-230 ASUS Xonar U5 
  hide details  
Reply
HKiNg 2.0
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790K Z97 Sabretooth Mark 2 PNY GTX 1080 Ti Founder's Edition Kingston HyperX Beast 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung EVO 850 500GB Kingston Digital 480GB Western Digital Black Caviar 500GB Seagate Backup Plus 3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Evo 850 500 GB PNY CS1311 960GB Corsair H60i Windows 10 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HM 850 Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Cougar 700M Gaming Mouse Turtle Beach Earforce Bravo  
AudioAudio
Logitech X-230 ASUS Xonar U5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post

I don't understand the connection between the 970 and the 1080. Didn't the 970 was in terms of performance/price right were it supposed to be? it was a great 1080p performer, and it was not marketed as a 4K beast where it had the actual issues with the extra 0.5GB of memory.

Also 400$ for 480s with 4GB each? Why buy in 2016 a 4GB card? That 4GB is going to hinder the 480s at high resolution, which will make it useless, and you will not get the performance of the 1080s. We have already seen that on the fury x with HBM, so you want that with GDDR5?

That slide people keep referring to from AMD, stating higher performance than the 1080 at AOTS, was only run at 1080p, and for that, you don't need a 1080 or even a 480 CFX, or 8xmsaa, and you can run the game for 380$ with the 1070, 20$ less without any stuttering issues of CFX scaling issues, or heat issues, etc etc.

So comparing that, 480s 4GB in CFX vs the 1080, on just one game which favours AMD, and saying this is a fact for every game at every setting, is so freaking ridiculous, its getting embarrassing to read on OCN doh.gif
I thought the 480s had 8gb of memory. Or at least an 8 gig version.
post #45 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaesthetic View Post

I'd spend the extra $300 for the 1080 over the two 480s in XFire because XFire and SLI have been the most miserable experiences of my PC gaming life. They both are a complete headache to use. I don't have enough time in my life to troubleshoot why dual GPUs aren't working in the game I'm playing. I have more important things to do, and when I want to relax, I just want to be able to fire something up and have some fun.

Dual RX 480s over a single card solution is in my personal opinion just stupid. And I laugh when AMD and Nvidia market their cards in a way that dual GPUs are god's gift to mankind. Because it just sucks to use. Ughh I could rant forever on this topic.

I actually agree with you on this subject. Dual cards are the pits and would never be a consideration for me over a single, more powerful card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake87 View Post

I thought the 480s had 8gb of memory. Or at least an 8 gig version.

The $199 card is 4GB.
Edited by criminal - 6/7/16 at 6:58am
Super P's rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x ASUS X99-A II Asus GTX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
MyDigitalSSD BPX NVMe Samsung 850 EVO Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB External DVDRW 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK-XLC Predator 240 Swiftech 240mm Radiator Windows 10 Samsung 40" 4K - UN40KU6290 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G710+ EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 Fractal Design Define S G700s 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Vipamz Extended XXXL Asus U7 M-Audio AV40 Sennheiser HD 439 
  hide details  
Reply
Super P's rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x ASUS X99-A II Asus GTX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
MyDigitalSSD BPX NVMe Samsung 850 EVO Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB External DVDRW 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK-XLC Predator 240 Swiftech 240mm Radiator Windows 10 Samsung 40" 4K - UN40KU6290 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G710+ EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 Fractal Design Define S G700s 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Vipamz Extended XXXL Asus U7 M-Audio AV40 Sennheiser HD 439 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qu1ckset View Post

There is a 8GB 480 I'm assuming for $250 if the 199 4GB is not enough for your liking..

I'm just saying that all of the comparisons here are baseless, since everyone seems to be comparing a 400$ setup to a 700$ card, both meant for different applications.
The 480s they are comparing won't rival the 1080 at 4K at 400$, and the 480s 8GB are pricier, and we don't know how they will react at 4K, or what will be their price. So its all irrelevant in terms of arguments.

And even comparing the 480s 8GB to a 1080 will be irrelevant.
Mainly because they are based on a single game, and not even on their own performance.
How will they react to CFX issues we have seen in DX12 games? How will they react to nvidia sponsored games vs the 1080?

Until the card is actually out and performance is actually relevant, than that argument has any merit to it. Until than, just speculations upon speculations, and that never ends up good.
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake87 View Post

I thought the 480s had 8gb of memory. Or at least an 8 gig version.

They said it will, but not at 200$, so we don't know if it will be 50$ or 100$ difference.
We also have no idea how it will be at 4K, where the 1080 is aimed at, or even at VR (where AMD are aiming at).

Its like comparing a 125cc scooter vs a M3.
Yes at heavy traffic in the city the 125cc makes more sense. But it doesn't mean that that fact makes it the best tool to everything like some people here say.
Once you put them both at the highway without traffic, things become much different aren't they?
Two 480s 8GB might be a 250cc scooter instead of 125cc, or a 1L supersport bike, but we don't know at all.
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juub View Post

Lol that bench is rubbish. I got a pair of 980's OC'd and get nowhere near 73fps on average in TW3 at 1440p/max settings. I need to OC my 4790K and memory and I get around 61fps most of the time and in very demanding scenes I can drop to as low as 45-50.

So what if you can't get 73fps? Who cares what you personally get?
Buy a 5960X, more memory, OC both, and you might get 73fps.
The fact that you hadn't, doesn't make its rubbish. Only you for cheaping out on components does it?
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post

So what if you can't get 73fps? Who cares what you personally get?
Buy a 5960X, more memory, OC both, and you might get 73fps.
The fact that you hadn't, doesn't make its rubbish. Only you for cheaping out on components does it?
this.

I don't get why people come to OVERCLOCK.NET and not OVERCLOCK their gear.
Aurora III
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 4770k GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD4H LGA 1150 Asus GTX 1080 FE Nvidia GTX 1080 FE 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
GSKILL Sniper 32gb 2400mhz Samsung 850 OS Samsung 850 Seagate 7200rpm 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Blue 7200rpm Asus Cheap Optical Drive Corsair H110 Win 10 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung 7000 40" 4k Qnix QX 2710 2560x1440p 96hz Logitech g710+ Kingwin Lazer 850w Platinum 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Razer Naga Epic Xtrac Ripper XXL Denon receiver, pol ts200s bookshelf, ts1000 sub. 
  hide details  
Reply
Aurora III
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 4770k GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD4H LGA 1150 Asus GTX 1080 FE Nvidia GTX 1080 FE 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
GSKILL Sniper 32gb 2400mhz Samsung 850 OS Samsung 850 Seagate 7200rpm 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Blue 7200rpm Asus Cheap Optical Drive Corsair H110 Win 10 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung 7000 40" 4k Qnix QX 2710 2560x1440p 96hz Logitech g710+ Kingwin Lazer 850w Platinum 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Razer Naga Epic Xtrac Ripper XXL Denon receiver, pol ts200s bookshelf, ts1000 sub. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post

So what if you can't get 73fps? Who cares what you personally get?
Buy a 5960X, more memory, OC both, and you might get 73fps.
The fact that you hadn't, doesn't make its rubbish. Only you for cheaping out on components does it?
I got 16GB of RAM at 2400Mhz and a 4790K OC'd to 4.5Ghz and my GPU's are a pair of 980's SC with a 100/325 on top that put them at 1356/1915. rolleyes.gif

Also lol. A 4790K with an H60i, 16GB of HyperX Beast at 2400Mhz, a Gold Certified 850W Corsair PSU and a pair of 980 SC is cheaping out on components? I heard everything.

I still get nowhere near 73fps on average I know a 5960X won't make a iota of difference because TW3 doesn't come close to pushing my CPU to the max.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidelite10 View Post

this.

I don't get why people come to OVERCLOCK.NET and not OVERCLOCK their gear.
Never said I didn't overclock.

The run was probably inside a cave or house where your fps on average is much higher. Go outside in a forest and start fighting and watch it drop. 73fps with a pair of 980's at max settings and 1440p is literally impossible unless you got a set of cards that OC to like 40% above the average.
Edited by Juub - 6/7/16 at 7:36am
HKiNg 2.0
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790K Z97 Sabretooth Mark 2 PNY GTX 1080 Ti Founder's Edition Kingston HyperX Beast 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung EVO 850 500GB Kingston Digital 480GB Western Digital Black Caviar 500GB Seagate Backup Plus 3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Evo 850 500 GB PNY CS1311 960GB Corsair H60i Windows 10 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HM 850 Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Cougar 700M Gaming Mouse Turtle Beach Earforce Bravo  
AudioAudio
Logitech X-230 ASUS Xonar U5 
  hide details  
Reply
HKiNg 2.0
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790K Z97 Sabretooth Mark 2 PNY GTX 1080 Ti Founder's Edition Kingston HyperX Beast 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung EVO 850 500GB Kingston Digital 480GB Western Digital Black Caviar 500GB Seagate Backup Plus 3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Evo 850 500 GB PNY CS1311 960GB Corsair H60i Windows 10 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HM 850 Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Cougar 700M Gaming Mouse Turtle Beach Earforce Bravo  
AudioAudio
Logitech X-230 ASUS Xonar U5 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Guru3D] GeForce GTX 1080 2-way SLI (preliminary review)