Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Mice › Let's Compile all 3360/3366 and their release dates for everyone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Let's Compile all 3360/3366 and their release dates for everyone - Page 41

post #401 of 740
DM1 has been a better product than anything Steelseries has released in ages.

Evolve or get outpaced by competition!
post #402 of 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsx3 View Post

Kinda wish that steelseries would challenge patent infringement for us sales. Might not be worth it, but I would enjoy them scaring these newer copy cat brands.

Moulds have a limited exclusivity timeframe. Perhaps the time has come and SS lost exclusivity to that shape.
In case you were wondering this is how it waorks. Peripheral company A approaches chinease factory B. A says we want a mouse, B gives them different shapes and different internal components to choose from. Based on agreement between A and B there are several scenarios.

A pays B for the shape and manufacuring but shape is not exclusive
A pays B significantly more and the shape becomes exclusive to company A. B cannot sell it or use it anywhere else. Length of exclusivity can vary.

Second - Sensei clones(or actually Xai clones) can argue that they have differences in their design (side buttons are of different shape, dpi button is different, lack of side buttons on the right and so on,

Ofcourse it could be the case that SS designed their shape in house and then didnt need to pay anyone for the shape but, I cant say for sure as at Xais release SS only had 1 mouse to their name - the ikari. And I dont know if that was a bought shell or a inhouse design.

Mind you inhouse development and only a few companies do it (Logitech and Razer come to mind). And speaking of Razer - their imperator shape has been copied by a few companies including finalmouse.
CoRE
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core I7 860 ASUS P7P55 LX Gigabyte 770GTX Kingston Value Ram 8gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Agility 2 120gb NEC Win7 Ultimate x64 Asus 27" vk 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steelseries 7G Corsair 800w CoolerMaster Cosmos Logitech G303 
Mouse Pad
Puretrak Talent / Corepad eYEPAD 
  hide details  
Reply
CoRE
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core I7 860 ASUS P7P55 LX Gigabyte 770GTX Kingston Value Ram 8gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Agility 2 120gb NEC Win7 Ultimate x64 Asus 27" vk 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steelseries 7G Corsair 800w CoolerMaster Cosmos Logitech G303 
Mouse Pad
Puretrak Talent / Corepad eYEPAD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #403 of 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2shellbonus View Post

Moulds have a limited exclusivity timeframe. Perhaps the time has come and SS lost exclusivity to that shape.
In case you were wondering this is how it waorks. Peripheral company A approaches chinease factory B. A says we want a mouse, B gives them different shapes and different internal components to choose from. Based on agreement between A and B there are several scenarios.

A pays B for the shape and manufacuring but shape is not exclusive
A pays B significantly more and the shape becomes exclusive to company A. B cannot sell it or use it anywhere else. Length of exclusivity can vary.

Second - Sensei clones(or actually Xai clones) can argue that they have differences in their design (side buttons are of different shape, dpi button is different, lack of side buttons on the right and so on,

Ofcourse it could be the case that SS designed their shape in house and then didnt need to pay anyone for the shape but, I cant say for sure as at Xais release SS only had 1 mouse to their name - the ikari. And I dont know if that was a bought shell or a inhouse design.

Mind you inhouse development and only a few companies do it (Logitech and Razer come to mind). And speaking of Razer - their imperator shape has been copied by a few companies including finalmouse.

It's not about the mold (they could just copy that or "acquire" a discarded old one and refurbish it) but they have patented designs/trademarks/...
I only know the German law for this, but if you have a registered design it is protected for 25 years.
Fast enough
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600k ASUS Z170 Pro Palit GeForce GTX 980 Ti 16 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung Spinpoint F1 Samsung Spinpoint F1 Samsung SSD 750 EVO Alpenföhn Groß Clock'ner 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Windows 7 x64 BenQ XL2411 Lioncast LK20 Sharkoon Rebel9 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G Pro Zowie G-SR Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-Express 
  hide details  
Reply
Fast enough
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600k ASUS Z170 Pro Palit GeForce GTX 980 Ti 16 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung Spinpoint F1 Samsung Spinpoint F1 Samsung SSD 750 EVO Alpenföhn Groß Clock'ner 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Windows 7 x64 BenQ XL2411 Lioncast LK20 Sharkoon Rebel9 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G Pro Zowie G-SR Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-Express 
  hide details  
Reply
post #404 of 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ino. View Post

It's not about the mold (they could just copy that or "acquire" a discarded old one and refurbish it) but they have patented designs/trademarks/...
I only know the German law for this, but if you have a registered design it is protected for 25 years.

It depends who 'owns' the shape. Its not a given fact that Steelseries owns it. It could easily be that LeehowChoo Child labor factory owns the design and Steelseries entered a 10 year exclusivity licence agreement where only their brand could use that specific design and shape.

But, even if SS owns the right to the sensei shape, DM and others can argue we have made this and this different and its a totally diferent product. And after that if it goes to court its Samsung vs Apple all over again. Can a customer be confused etc.
CoRE
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core I7 860 ASUS P7P55 LX Gigabyte 770GTX Kingston Value Ram 8gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Agility 2 120gb NEC Win7 Ultimate x64 Asus 27" vk 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steelseries 7G Corsair 800w CoolerMaster Cosmos Logitech G303 
Mouse Pad
Puretrak Talent / Corepad eYEPAD 
  hide details  
Reply
CoRE
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core I7 860 ASUS P7P55 LX Gigabyte 770GTX Kingston Value Ram 8gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Agility 2 120gb NEC Win7 Ultimate x64 Asus 27" vk 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steelseries 7G Corsair 800w CoolerMaster Cosmos Logitech G303 
Mouse Pad
Puretrak Talent / Corepad eYEPAD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #405 of 740
It's a 14 year US patent (filed in 2009); thought you're correct about minor changes. Granted it's fairly obvious to anyone interested in gaming mice lol

Ikari is an ODM shape bought and purchased, but the Xai was designed in conjunction with steelseries at the same factory. (Yes "steelseries" currently owns the US patent, though there is also potential legal disruption amongst individual inventors themselves; 3 being listed.).
post #406 of 740
i wonder if they're knowingly risking it or if they're clueless
post #407 of 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucake View Post

i wonder if they're knowingly risking it or if they're clueless

The companies that 'clone' the mouse approach the factory and they are provided a portfolio of shapes. Depending on agreement I beilive if there was a court ruling - the brand could shift the blame to the factory. And since the factory is in china its pretty much GG for anyone outside it to do anything.
CoRE
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core I7 860 ASUS P7P55 LX Gigabyte 770GTX Kingston Value Ram 8gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Agility 2 120gb NEC Win7 Ultimate x64 Asus 27" vk 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steelseries 7G Corsair 800w CoolerMaster Cosmos Logitech G303 
Mouse Pad
Puretrak Talent / Corepad eYEPAD 
  hide details  
Reply
CoRE
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core I7 860 ASUS P7P55 LX Gigabyte 770GTX Kingston Value Ram 8gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Agility 2 120gb NEC Win7 Ultimate x64 Asus 27" vk 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steelseries 7G Corsair 800w CoolerMaster Cosmos Logitech G303 
Mouse Pad
Puretrak Talent / Corepad eYEPAD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #408 of 740
yeah, that makes sense. cheers
post #409 of 740
Some internal pics of the Havit HV-MS735 for those interested. I didn't dissect it too much, as I would like to use it. (Probably wont open it again). Please excuse the suboptimal phone camera smile.gif
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Mouse feet are thin and flexible, was easy to remove, and later reapply.



According to Havit support; 14 grams.

"D2FC-7N(10M)(OF)"





"PMW3360DM-T2QU"

"HOLTEK HT68F6(/8)- 560"

Couldn't get a good look at the scrollwheel without tearing it apart. Unable to ID the other buttons as well.
post #410 of 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaug View Post

Some internal pics of the Havit HV-MS735 for those interested.

Nice!

I see they repurposed a Togran DM60 shell.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mice
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Mice › Let's Compile all 3360/3366 and their release dates for everyone