Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [Newsweek] Microsoft’s ‘malware-like’ Windows 10 automatic upgrades cost anti-poaching nonprofit thousands, group says
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Newsweek] Microsoft’s ‘malware-like’ Windows 10 automatic upgrades cost anti-poaching nonprofit thousands, group says - Page 10

post #91 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarathKasun View Post

I need to remember that if I ever work for the local FD. "We put our lives on the line, we cant be asked to do proper IT to maintain our first response software and hardware."

They have an IT consultant and a Law consultant, no reason this could not have been fixed.

Dude seriously, if you are so smart, go and do their IT work for them.

Then you won't have to complain about their incompetence, since it would be you doing that work.
post #92 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAmCodeMonkey View Post

Dude seriously, if you are so smart, go and do their IT work for them.

Dude, seriously, don't excuse somebody's mistake because you hate MS. This should reflect badly on him, just like it would on me or anyone else.
μRyzen
(12 items)
 
Mini Box
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R5 1400 MSI B350M Gaming Pro Zotac GTX 670 4GB G.SKILL FORTIS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
WD Green 3tb Wraith Stealth Windows 10 Debian 8.7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
ViewSonic VX-2257-8 Chinese backlit mechanical Kingwin 850w Chinese laser optical 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5350 Asus AM1I-A EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC 2x4GB DDR 3 1333 
  hide details  
Reply
μRyzen
(12 items)
 
Mini Box
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R5 1400 MSI B350M Gaming Pro Zotac GTX 670 4GB G.SKILL FORTIS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
WD Green 3tb Wraith Stealth Windows 10 Debian 8.7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
ViewSonic VX-2257-8 Chinese backlit mechanical Kingwin 850w Chinese laser optical 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5350 Asus AM1I-A EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC 2x4GB DDR 3 1333 
  hide details  
Reply
post #93 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarathKasun View Post

because you hate MS

This is called confirming your own biases without even realizing it. Congratulations.

I have never said that I "hate" Microsoft, did I? You simply assumed such because I have a differing opinion than you.

Go ahead and keep putting words into peoples mouths to suit your own narrative. I won't stop you.
post #94 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAmCodeMonkey View Post

This is called confirming your own biases without even realizing it. Congratulations.

I have never said that I "hate" Microsoft, did I? You simply assumed such because I have a differing opinion than you.

Go ahead and keep putting words into peoples mouths to suit your own narrative. I won't stop you.

Yes, but you are the one that is transferring the blame to MS for bad IT management. If you work IT it is your job to stay on top of this stuff.

You confirm your disdain with this transference, or your ignorance. Take your pick.
By all means, continue virtue signalling.
Edited by KarathKasun - 6/7/16 at 11:29pm
μRyzen
(12 items)
 
Mini Box
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R5 1400 MSI B350M Gaming Pro Zotac GTX 670 4GB G.SKILL FORTIS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
WD Green 3tb Wraith Stealth Windows 10 Debian 8.7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
ViewSonic VX-2257-8 Chinese backlit mechanical Kingwin 850w Chinese laser optical 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5350 Asus AM1I-A EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC 2x4GB DDR 3 1333 
  hide details  
Reply
μRyzen
(12 items)
 
Mini Box
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R5 1400 MSI B350M Gaming Pro Zotac GTX 670 4GB G.SKILL FORTIS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
WD Green 3tb Wraith Stealth Windows 10 Debian 8.7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
ViewSonic VX-2257-8 Chinese backlit mechanical Kingwin 850w Chinese laser optical 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5350 Asus AM1I-A EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC 2x4GB DDR 3 1333 
  hide details  
Reply
post #95 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarathKasun View Post

I need to remember that if I ever work for the local FD. "We put our lives on the line, we cant be asked to do proper IT to maintain our first response software and hardware."

They have an IT staff member and a Law consultant, no reason this could not have been fixed.

"Constantin Hofstetter, Honorary Member, IT."
By all means, continue virtue signalling

Theres a big difference to working in the city vs working in the wild. As for their IT consultant, whats your point?

Having myself set (before using gpedit) windows update to not update automatically multiple times, windows went and reset itself to auto updates, but this also means I need to manually update windows defender and any other security updates that get released for windows. So, as an "makeshift" IT consultant, you're left with a choice:

  • Fully turn off windows updates, trust your users and hope nothing goes wrong
  • leave them on and receive updates to keep you system secure.

The guy is a pilot first and IT by requirement. Outside of seemingly not being a qualified IT consultant, the second paragraph i quoted would have been outside of his control. That X is no different to the fake flashing Download button on file hosting sites.
Quote:
according to Brian, the Chinko Project’s part-time pilot and makeshift IT expert
Quote:
Sharing a screen shot of Microsoft’s alert on upgrading to Windows 10, Brian noted that only the vigilant and tech-savvy will know to click on the tiny “here” button to cancel the upgrade. “Most will click the X [to exit out of the alert], and local villagers trained to use the software on these PCs have no clue,” he says.



As for virtue signalling..
How cute, seems you've learned a new phrase recently without actual knowing what it means and rather than look it up, you got trigger happy and thought you had a legit reason to use it.

The issue is that MS is forcing people who dont know any better to upgrade. When you have people using pc's who arent IT specialists, the only time someone should have to be careful when using their/a pc, is with dodgy websites and links. The fact that MS are using the tact they have been goes to show just how little they care for the end user.

But hey, keep shilling for that MS if that helps you sleep.
Edited by LoLomgbbq - 6/8/16 at 12:58am
post #96 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoLomgbbq View Post

Theres a big difference to working in the city vs working in the wild. As for their IT consultant, whats your point?

Having myself set (before using gpedit) windows update to not update automatically multiple times, windows went and reset itself to auto updates, but this also means I need to manually update windows defender and any other security updates that get released for windows. So, as an "makeshift" IT consultant, you're left with a choice:

  • Fully turn off windows updates, trust your users and hope nothing goes wrong
  • leave them on and receive updates to keep you system secure.

The guy is a pilot first and IT by requirement. Outside of seemingly not being a qualified IT consultant, the second paragraph i quoted would have been outside of his control. That X is no different to the fake flashing Download button on file hosting sites.

As for virtue signalling..
How cute, seems you've learned a new phrase recently without actual knowing what it means and rather than look it up, you got trigger happy and thought you had a legit reason to use it.

The issue is that MS is forcing people who dont know any better to upgrade. When you have people using pc's who arent IT specialists, the only time someone should have to be careful when using their/a pc, is with dodgy websites and links. The fact that MS are using the tact they have been goes to show just how little they care for the end user.

But hey, keep shilling for that MS if that helps you sleep.

Virtue signaling, "Saying you love or hate something to show off what a virtuous person you are, instead of actually trying to fix the problem."

None of the MS "hate" crowd has put forth a viable solution despite saying how terrible MS is and that the users are idiots and can't be educated or prevented from making those decisions. Disabling auto-updates by itself is the easiest way to fix their problem, with the slight increase in security risk. The "proper" solution is to move to an easy to use Linux distribution or disable updates and employ a better network. Honestly, they could have even used one of the GWX killing scripts or apps.

None of these things take an IT specialist, it just takes some quality time doing your research. Its called being an educated consumer rather than a willfully ignorant putz. You would not be defending a for profit company if they mismanaged their network, so stop defending the same situation because you like the victims cause.

"(Brian asked that his last name not be used for personal reasons because he has such a dangerous job. He also asked if Newsweek could share the Chinko Project’s Indiegogo campaign to raise $50,000 to repair a damaged plane and to rent another plane.)"

Such dumb, his profile is on the organizations site...
Brian Gershon
Staff
Pilot / Honarary IT staff

Yep, totally no ulterior motive.
Edited by KarathKasun - 6/8/16 at 3:03am
μRyzen
(12 items)
 
Mini Box
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R5 1400 MSI B350M Gaming Pro Zotac GTX 670 4GB G.SKILL FORTIS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
WD Green 3tb Wraith Stealth Windows 10 Debian 8.7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
ViewSonic VX-2257-8 Chinese backlit mechanical Kingwin 850w Chinese laser optical 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5350 Asus AM1I-A EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC 2x4GB DDR 3 1333 
  hide details  
Reply
μRyzen
(12 items)
 
Mini Box
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R5 1400 MSI B350M Gaming Pro Zotac GTX 670 4GB G.SKILL FORTIS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
WD Green 3tb Wraith Stealth Windows 10 Debian 8.7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
ViewSonic VX-2257-8 Chinese backlit mechanical Kingwin 850w Chinese laser optical 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5350 Asus AM1I-A EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC 2x4GB DDR 3 1333 
  hide details  
Reply
post #97 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickyvida View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Dizzle View Post

It's sensationalism - and most people here ate it all up, lol.

You call your privacy being taken away sensationalism. No better than a drone. Lol.

One day it'll come to bite you in the arse full circle.

Love your enthusiasm BUT be very careful about biting someone on the arse because you haven't seen mine yet and that I guarantee will shock you into a coma.

Be aware about making statements like that here on OCN because you might get someone on your doorstep one night insisting upon you doing it to them devil-smiley-019.gif .
post #98 of 161
LOL.... DUMMIES!

"We pay by the MB for our internet..... Lets just leave automatic updates on!!"
Choreboy
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8300 Gigabyte GA-990FX-Gaming Asus 780 Poseidon 4x4GB Dominator Platinum  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
250GB Samsung 850 Evo  Yup. Silverstone Heligon SST-HE01 Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell 1680x1050 22" Rosewill Hive550 CM 690 V1 
  hide details  
Reply
Choreboy
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8300 Gigabyte GA-990FX-Gaming Asus 780 Poseidon 4x4GB Dominator Platinum  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
250GB Samsung 850 Evo  Yup. Silverstone Heligon SST-HE01 Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell 1680x1050 22" Rosewill Hive550 CM 690 V1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #99 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by umeng2002 View Post

All these Microsoft shills in this thread are incredible.

It's absolutely disgraceful how MS is using malware (UI confusion) tactics to trick people into upgrading to W10.

Mark my words, in a year or two, Windows is going ad-supported... that can't be blocked or uninstalled.

That or subscription based... like $10 a month with forced "cloud" services.

Adds will definitely happen

But I think the real goal of Microsoft will be to make win32 obsolete and switch as much software as possible into uwp which they fully control. Then they will make sure that you can only get those UWP apps from their store.
post #100 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerVI View Post


You're free to use whatever OS or device you want. Feel free to do so at anytime.

please tell that to phone manufacturers, i want android on an ifone or AOSP on samsung without voiding warranty
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [Newsweek] Microsoft’s ‘malware-like’ Windows 10 automatic upgrades cost anti-poaching nonprofit thousands, group says