Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [PcPer] GeForce GTX 1080 and 1070 3-Way and 4-Way SLI will not be enabled for games
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[PcPer] GeForce GTX 1080 and 1070 3-Way and 4-Way SLI will not be enabled for games - Page 16

post #151 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joa3d43 View Post

...after all is said and done though with this NVidia Pascal SLI++ situation, you should have no problem selling some of the GTX 1080s as most retailers still struggle to keep them in stock right now (and / or charge a premium at secondary outlets). Also, not to sound like a heretic, but what about a nice VR set ?

True... I'm probably going to wait for the 1080 Classy to get it for my 2nd rig. I wonder if the new Titan (pascal) will be released this year? Is that going to be limited to 2-Way SLI also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopicClocker View Post

Wow, that's one heck of a Super Computer you have there!

About running 4K on all games maxed out, does your definition of "maxed out" include anti-aliasing as-well? I've noticed that some people consider max settings as highest graphical settings in the game without Anti-Aliasing, and other people include Anti-Aliasing as a part of it, even if that consists of something like 8x MSAA.

I presume you don't mean with that level of MSAA as that is sure to be an incredible resource consumer.

The potential loss of 3 and 4 way SLI for games is quite a big one, I've never run those kind of SLI setups and I don't think I intend to in the near future as the scaling above 2 cards isn't too great but I've seen setups with 3-4 GPUs do some impressive things.

I feel NVIDIA has been quite shady about 3 and 4 way SLI with Pascal, first the special key thing and now it's allegedly not enabled for games.
Yeah I have to agree.

First, thanks.

Secondly, "maxing out" generally means every setting OTHER than AA/SSAA is maxed out. However, I did many benchmarks w/ 4-Way SLI and 4K Surround and 5K (5K is 70% more pixels than 4K btw).

Here's a 4-Way SLI + 5K review:
There is a thread on OCN where I showed 4K Surround benchmarks w/ the OG Titans in 4-Way SLI (also Titan Blacks).

On many of the titles, I have some form of AA turned on even at 5K - however, certain games will crash because at 5K, with AA, even 12GB of VRAM is inadequate (like 8x MSAA for instance).
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjdubb View Post

Your monitors are way ahead of gpu power right now. We all know that 4 way sli would have only netted you another 10fps tops, no reason to pretend that it would have scaled perfectly.

I had 4K Surround (3x 4K monitors) in 2014 when I had OG Titans & Titan Blacks (which were much weaker than Titan X) and I was able to play many games (but had to turn down settings due to inadequate VRAM - OG/Titan Black had only 6GB of VRAM per GPU).

5K works beautifully with most games. If the drivers are updated (as of a few months ago they were), games in 5K maxed out worked really well.

Some samples:










... and many more games scale really well with 4-Way SLI at high resolutions.

I've had 4-Way SLI since early 2011 (580 Classified) on every GPU released since then by Nvidia and ultra-high resolution setups (3x 30" monitors, 4K Surround, 5K) and the scaling really shines at high resolutions. This has been stated many times by me (and others) on this forum (and others). Not sure why this canard keeps getting repeated ad nauseam. Scaling with multiple GPUs is never perfect; but it sure as hell is pretty damn good in most cases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagget3450 View Post

This a shame, i was seriously eyeballing 1080's 4k+ fps and benches. I was hoping for gains here as a high res user myself. These types of data points are almost impossible to get anywhere. +rep for sharing, as a 4 way user(CF). Many people here love to talk down multi gpu and high resolutions. The fact that most people are running 1440p or lower, and single gpus is one thing. The contempt they post against people who do extreme setups is really sad. The fact remains simple if there are no strides made on the enthusiasts levels then they are getting the same treatment as well. I like to tweak and tinker with my setups, i like pushing the envelope and trying unconventional routes on PC gaming. PC gaming is becoming a shadow of consoles as from every angle were being reduced to simple hardware.

I really don't see why nvidia cannot still allow 4 way sli in the nvpanel and just not support it. I mean at least give people a chance to use it and tweak it themselves with nvidia inspector and the like. In the end it's really disheartening to see more features removed from PC gaming.

Exactly! thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagget3450 View Post

People need to understand you don't need 3x 4k monitors for 4k surround at least for AMD. I suspect its also possible in nvidias DSR as well. I can run triple 4k eyefinity on my 3x1080p monitors. Yeah its downsampling technically but it still looks way better than 3x1080p. The point is for testing at least its possible without spending big bucks on 4k panels. So you could spend on gpu horsepower and skimp on monitors for a short term. Its simple stuff really gpu power is needed in sli/cf or multi gpu through dx12/vulkan until we get single gpus powerful enough. Reducing SLI is one step of moving away instead of progressing.

Ugh...please NEVER talk about downsampling etc. when referring to high resolution; DSR/SSAA whatever is NOT the same thing as having a high resolution display. 4K does NOT mean '4K w/ DSR or supersampling.'

4K Surround (3x 4K monitors) + 4-Way SLI GTX-Titan / GTX-Titan Black is the way to go! wink.gif
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6950X @ 4.30GHz ASUS Rampage V Extreme GTX TITAN Xp (2017) [4-way SLI] 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Pro (256GB) Samsung 840 EVO (1TB) Pioneer BD-203 NZXT Kraken X60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Pro (x64) Dell UP3218K - 8K Monitor Razer Blackwidow Chroma Corsair AX1500i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Cosmos II Razer Mamba Chroma [16,000 DPI] Razer Manticor Sennheiser HD800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3970X @ 4.80Ghz ASRock Extreme11 GTX-1080 Ti FE [4-Way SLI] Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133Mhz (32GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO (250GB) WD Caviar Black (2TB) ASUS DVD Burner NZXT Kraken X62 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Pro Dell UP3017Q 4K OLED Razer Blackwidow Ultimate EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Air 540 Razer Death Adder 2013 SteelSeries QcK Altec Lansing 2.1 | Sennheiser PC-350 
Audio
AKG K712 Pro + AudioEngine D1 DAC 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6950X @ 4.30GHz ASUS Rampage V Extreme GTX TITAN Xp (2017) [4-way SLI] 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Pro (256GB) Samsung 840 EVO (1TB) Pioneer BD-203 NZXT Kraken X60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Pro (x64) Dell UP3218K - 8K Monitor Razer Blackwidow Chroma Corsair AX1500i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Cosmos II Razer Mamba Chroma [16,000 DPI] Razer Manticor Sennheiser HD800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3970X @ 4.80Ghz ASRock Extreme11 GTX-1080 Ti FE [4-Way SLI] Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133Mhz (32GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO (250GB) WD Caviar Black (2TB) ASUS DVD Burner NZXT Kraken X62 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Pro Dell UP3017Q 4K OLED Razer Blackwidow Ultimate EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Air 540 Razer Death Adder 2013 SteelSeries QcK Altec Lansing 2.1 | Sennheiser PC-350 
Audio
AKG K712 Pro + AudioEngine D1 DAC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #152 of 193
Very nice post Baasha. Thank you for sharing your insight on 4-way. I certainly stand corrected on a few thoughts I had on the topic.
post #153 of 193
Quote:
Baasha

... and many more games scale really well with 4-Way SLI at high resolutions.

I've had 4-Way SLI since early 2011 (580 Classified) on every GPU released since then by Nvidia and ultra-high resolution setups (3x 30" monitors, 4K Surround, 5K) and the scaling really shines at high resolutions. This has been stated many times by me (and others) on this forum (and others). Not sure why this canard keeps getting repeated ad nauseam. Scaling with multiple GPUs is never perfect; but it sure as hell is pretty damn good in most cases.

those games don't scale well above 2 cards
that performance is almost the same as with 2 and its true years ago the support was much better and worth doing it for many games but not anymore
also that performance is terrible at 30fps or some light games at 60fps, the game is not optimized to run those settings.
its like applying tons of filters and exaggerating the shaders on skyrim.
i would just stick with 4k and having much better performance cos going to extremes with tiny quality improvements but at huge cost its not worth, not for me.
btw i don't like this ether, nvidia is going backwards with or without dev support..
Edited by jmcosta - 6/13/16 at 1:49am
post #154 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhill2029 View Post

Nvidia and Intel alike are now milking enthusiasts of their hard earn coin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master__Shake View Post

bolded and quoted for truth.


Were you guys born yesterday? Nvidia, Intel, AMD, MSI, EVGA, ASUS, Gigabyte, Corsair and any other company that sells a product is attempting to get your money. Believe it or not, they are trying to get as much of it as possible. I understand this may come as a shock to you but ALL industries are up to the same thing. It is so common that they even came up with a word for it, Commerce.
Computer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 Nvidia GTX 1080ti FE (EK block) CORSAIR Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo Mushkin Reactor Custom Loop Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Ben Q BL3201PT Logitech G110 EVGA 1300w Thermatake Core P5 
MouseAudio
LOGITECH G502 PROTEUS CORE Corsair 2100 
  hide details  
Reply
Computer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 Nvidia GTX 1080ti FE (EK block) CORSAIR Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo Mushkin Reactor Custom Loop Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Ben Q BL3201PT Logitech G110 EVGA 1300w Thermatake Core P5 
MouseAudio
LOGITECH G502 PROTEUS CORE Corsair 2100 
  hide details  
Reply
post #155 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baasha View Post


Ugh...please NEVER talk about downsampling etc. when referring to high resolution; DSR/SSAA whatever is NOT the same thing as having a high resolution display. 4K does NOT mean '4K w/ DSR or supersampling.'


I can't speak for Nvidia on DSR, however VSR from AMD is very representative of actual performance. I think you are looking at it from a quality of display fidelity angle. I never said a 1080p with 4k VSR would look like a 4k native, it does however look better than 1080p on a 1080p panel. If you want to test actual 4k(in this case or 1440p etc.) performance before upgrading the monitor it is a perfect way to do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB5AJHM-piM
post #156 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjdubb View Post


Were you guys born yesterday? Nvidia, Intel, AMD, MSI, EVGA, ASUS, Gigabyte, Corsair and any other company that sells a product is attempting to get your money. Believe it or not, they are trying to get as much of it as possible. I understand this may come as a shock to you but ALL industries are up to the same thing. It is so common that they even came up with a word for it, Commerce.

Thank you. You made my morning thumbsupsmiley.png
post #157 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagget3450 View Post

I can't speak for Nvidia on DSR, however VSR from AMD is very representative of actual performance. I think you are looking at it from a quality of display fidelity angle. I never said a 1080p with 4k VSR would look like a 4k native, it does however look better than 1080p on a 1080p panel. If you want to test actual 4k(in this case or 1440p etc.) performance before upgrading the monitor it is a perfect way to do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB5AJHM-piM
You were talking about 4k surround vs downsampled to 1080p. That can have an impact on smoothness even if the framerates are identical, because the frame needs to be transferred to the card attached to the monitor. Avoiding that PCIe transfer is the whole point of the new SLI bridge, though I haven't seen any hard data on how Crossfire compares to SLI at those super high resolutions.
1
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.6 Gigabyte x58a ud3r Gigabyte GV-R6870C-1GD Mushkin Redline 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorKeyboard
2x 1TB Spinpoint samsung dvd burner Samsung p2370 + Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB WASD keyboards v1 semi custom w/ cherry browns 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec CP-850 Antec P183 CM Storm Spawn 
  hide details  
Reply
1
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.6 Gigabyte x58a ud3r Gigabyte GV-R6870C-1GD Mushkin Redline 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorKeyboard
2x 1TB Spinpoint samsung dvd burner Samsung p2370 + Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB WASD keyboards v1 semi custom w/ cherry browns 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec CP-850 Antec P183 CM Storm Spawn 
  hide details  
Reply
post #158 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranquilTempest View Post

You were talking about 4k surround vs downsampled to 1080p. That can have an impact on smoothness even if the framerates are identical, because the frame needs to be transferred to the card attached to the monitor. Avoiding that PCIe transfer is the whole point of the new SLI bridge, though I haven't seen any hard data on how Crossfire compares to SLI at those super high resolutions.

Sounds like maybe this is more of an Nvidia issue since AMD doesn't use a bridge anymore(more bandwidth over pcie). However irrelevant it is i did some quick testing to compare 4k Eyefinity(11520x2160) vs 4k vsr eyefinity@5760x1080
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Tomb Raider(only game i had on a whim installed and lacking in new games esp with in game benchmark.)
Ultra setting(Ultimate enables tressfx wich appears to be buggy at extreme reolutions for AMD atm in this game.)
System stayed same except for resolutions as noted @panels. (old platform x5650@4.2ghz - ddr3 1066 ECC - quadfire FuryX)
4k Eyefinity true resolution: 11520x2160@panels
(fairly certain furyx CF is not optimal due to older platform in these tests even at this high resolution due to driver overhead)
Run1: 77.3fps Avg - 64fps Min - 86fps Max
Run2: 76.7fps Avg - 62.1fps Min - 86fps Max
Run3: 77.1fps Avg - 63.9fps Min - 86fps Max
Screenshots: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


4k Eyefinity(11520x2160) with VSR resolution 5760x1080@panels
Run1: 75.5fps Avg - 64fps Min - 84ps Max
Run2: 75.5fps Avg - 62.1fps Min - 84fps Max
Run3: 76.2fps Avg - 64fps Min - 84fps Max
Screenshots: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)




Super close so i think its a good representation of performance.

Smoothness is subjective to many things and mainly the "User" so i cannot help there.

I'll also refrain from talking more about AMD's solutions(CF,XDMA,BRIDGELESS) since this is an SLI thread. My apologies in advance for any it may bother.
post #159 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagget3450 View Post

Sounds like maybe this is more of an Nvidia issue since AMD doesn't use a bridge anymore(more bandwidth over pcie). However irrelevant it is i did some quick testing to compare 4k Eyefinity(11520x2160) vs 4k vsr eyefinity@5760x1080
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Tomb Raider(only game i had on a whim installed and lacking in new games esp with in game benchmark.)
Ultra setting(Ultimate enables tressfx wich appears to be buggy at extreme reolutions for AMD atm in this game.)
System stayed same except for resolutions as noted @panels. (old platform x5650@4.2ghz - ddr3 1066 ECC - quadfire FuryX)
4k Eyefinity true resolution: 11520x2160@panels
(fairly certain furyx CF is not optimal due to older platform in these tests even at this high resolution due to driver overhead)
Run1: 77.3fps Avg - 64fps Min - 86fps Max
Run2: 76.7fps Avg - 62.1fps Min - 86fps Max
Run3: 77.1fps Avg - 63.9fps Min - 86fps Max
Screenshots: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


4k Eyefinity(11520x2160) with VSR resolution 5760x1080@panels
Run1: 75.5fps Avg - 64fps Min - 84ps Max
Run2: 75.5fps Avg - 62.1fps Min - 84fps Max
Run3: 76.2fps Avg - 64fps Min - 84fps Max
Screenshots: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)




Super close so i think its a good representation of performance.

Smoothness is subjective to many things and mainly the "User" so i cannot help there.

I'll also refrain from talking more about AMD's solutions(CF,XDMA,BRIDGELESS) since this is an SLI thread. My apologies in advance for any it may bother.
You aren't paying attention. It's not a framerate or scaling issue, it's about the time the completed frame takes to make it to the monitor from the card its attached to vs the other cards. If there is a difference, you aren't going to see it without FCAT, or at least a large number of latency measurements. If it takes 10ms for a 3x4k frame to start scanning out after it finishes rendering on a second graphics card, your 100fps is going to look a lot like 50fps.
Edited by TranquilTempest - 6/13/16 at 8:53pm
1
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.6 Gigabyte x58a ud3r Gigabyte GV-R6870C-1GD Mushkin Redline 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorKeyboard
2x 1TB Spinpoint samsung dvd burner Samsung p2370 + Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB WASD keyboards v1 semi custom w/ cherry browns 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec CP-850 Antec P183 CM Storm Spawn 
  hide details  
Reply
1
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.6 Gigabyte x58a ud3r Gigabyte GV-R6870C-1GD Mushkin Redline 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorKeyboard
2x 1TB Spinpoint samsung dvd burner Samsung p2370 + Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB WASD keyboards v1 semi custom w/ cherry browns 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec CP-850 Antec P183 CM Storm Spawn 
  hide details  
Reply
post #160 of 193
nvm:o
Edited by fewness - 6/13/16 at 9:49pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [PcPer] GeForce GTX 1080 and 1070 3-Way and 4-Way SLI will not be enabled for games