Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › "General - Non gaming" Cheap PC Build
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"General - Non gaming" Cheap PC Build - Page 2

post #11 of 27
You have an unused Pentium G2030. That should be fine for the intended use and you don't need a GPU at all. I've built HTPCs and Office PCs that run off of Intel graphics with no problem at all. You just have to find a socket 1155 MoBo to pair it with. Unfortunately this is an older generation CPU and vendors such as NewEgg don't have a great selection of 1155 MoBos. You don't say what size build you are looking for (ATX or mITX). My preference for these types of units is m-ITX as you can keep things small. Don't know much about the PSU you have other than it's old. You should upgrade the PSU and without a GPU you don't need anything more powerful than a 300-350 W PSU. The Crucial SSD you have should be fine and get a 500GB HDD for storage. Memory is cheap these days and you can put 8GB in if you want (my HTPC builds all run fine with 4GB).

It looks like all you really need is a MoBo, updated memory, a new PSU and an appropriate sized case.
Photo Editing PC
(11 items)
 
HTPC
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4790k  ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 ASUS GTX 960 2GB STRIX 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256 GB Samsung 850 PRO WD 2TB Caviar Black Noctua NH U12S Win8.1 
MonitorPowerCase
NEC MultiSynch P232W SeaSonic G 650 Fractal Design Define R5 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel i3-3225 Gigabyte H77N-WiFi 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 1600 120 GB Samsung EVO 840 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1TB WD Blue LG Blue Ray DVD Reader Noctua NH-L9i Win7 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech K-400 Seasonic G360 Fractal Designs Core 500 mITX  
  hide details  
Reply
Photo Editing PC
(11 items)
 
HTPC
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4790k  ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 ASUS GTX 960 2GB STRIX 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256 GB Samsung 850 PRO WD 2TB Caviar Black Noctua NH U12S Win8.1 
MonitorPowerCase
NEC MultiSynch P232W SeaSonic G 650 Fractal Design Define R5 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel i3-3225 Gigabyte H77N-WiFi 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 1600 120 GB Samsung EVO 840 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1TB WD Blue LG Blue Ray DVD Reader Noctua NH-L9i Win7 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech K-400 Seasonic G360 Fractal Designs Core 500 mITX  
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan G View Post

You have an unused Pentium G2030. That should be fine for the intended use and you don't need a GPU at all. I've built HTPCs and Office PCs that run off of Intel graphics with no problem at all. You just have to find a socket 1155 MoBo to pair it with. Unfortunately this is an older generation CPU and vendors such as NewEgg don't have a great selection of 1155 MoBos. You don't say what size build you are looking for (ATX or mITX). My preference for these types of units is m-ITX as you can keep things small. Don't know much about the PSU you have other than it's old. You should upgrade the PSU and without a GPU you don't need anything more powerful than a 300-350 W PSU. The Crucial SSD you have should be fine and get a 500GB HDD for storage. Memory is cheap these days and you can put 8GB in if you want (my HTPC builds all run fine with 4GB).

It looks like all you really need is a MoBo, updated memory, a new PSU and an appropriate sized case.

I missed where he stated he has that Pentium. Good call - I agree with what you're saying here.
post #13 of 27
Thread Starter 
Hi guys. I spoke with my parents and they claim they don't want to go too cheap. Yet I don't want to build them "too much computer" They insisted on a $500-$600 budget.

With that being said I came up with this. And yes I was thinking about going with a micro ATX for this build.

CPU
Intel Core i3-6100 - $124.99

MOBO
GIGABYTE GA-H110M-A $55.99

RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 $57.99

CASE
Cooler Master N200 - $49.99

PSU
Thermaltake TR2 Series 500W $59.99

BLU-RAY
LG Electronics 14x SATA Blu-ray Internal Rewriter $51.99

Total: $400 or so

I left out the SSD because, well I have no clue on this. Also I can always use the spare pentium and m4 in another system. They apparently want all new.

Any ideas on an SSD? I'm thinking any more CPU would be a waste for them.

EDIT:
I was thinking about going with a Samsung 950 pro 256gb 184.99

MOBO:
GIGABYTE GA-B150M-D3H 74.99

With these changes I'm looking at this:

CPU
Intel Core i3-6100 - $124.99

MOBO
GIGABYTE GA-B150M-D3H 74.99

RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 $57.99

SSD
Samsung 950 pro 256gb 184.99

CASE
Cooler Master N200 - $49.99

PSU
Thermaltake TR2 Series 500W $59.99

BLU-RAY
LG Electronics 14x SATA Blu-ray Internal Rewriter $51.99

Total: $600 or so

With some shopping around I should be able to save a few bucks. I might also cut back to 8GB ram. What about the PSU? 500W a bit much for this build?
Edited by orlywutlol - 6/13/16 at 11:52pm
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k @ 4.6ghz Asus P8P67 Pro EVGA SC GTX 570 G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 8GB [2 x 4GB] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Crucial M4 128gb, x2 WD6400AAKS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Samsung SyncMaster T240 Silverstone DA800 800w 
Case
Lian Li PC-A70B 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k @ 4.6ghz Asus P8P67 Pro EVGA SC GTX 570 G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 8GB [2 x 4GB] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Crucial M4 128gb, x2 WD6400AAKS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Samsung SyncMaster T240 Silverstone DA800 800w 
Case
Lian Li PC-A70B 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 27
The new Corsair CX is both better and cheaper then the Thermaltake TR-2 you picked
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139146&cm_re=Corsair_CX-_-17-139-146-_-Product

And no the new CX has NOTHING to do with the old CX at all other then the name
The new CX are DC-DC units which means at long last there is a sub $50 PSU that is not group regulated
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone EMP Roccat Sense Metor Sennheiser HD 598 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Onkyo TX NR646  Dali Opticon Vokal x2 Dali Opticon 2 x2 Dali Opticon 1 
AudioOtherOther
Dali E12 F Subwoofer CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone EMP Roccat Sense Metor Sennheiser HD 598 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Onkyo TX NR646  Dali Opticon Vokal x2 Dali Opticon 2 x2 Dali Opticon 1 
AudioOtherOther
Dali E12 F Subwoofer CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 27
If your parents want you to 'over build' a system for them that's fine. As I noted in an earlier post, you don't need anything above a Pentium with integrated graphics for this system. An i3 is not going to run any faster for word processing or net browsing. 16 GB of RAM is also way too much unless they are doing Photoshop or some other RAM hungry application. 8 GB is more than enough here. Why buy a Samsung PRO SSD? You can get a 500 GB EVO for $25 less according to NewEgg's current price. You don't indicate whether they need any more storage than just the SSD. If you are only going to have the one drive, then go up to 500GB.

Personally, I would rather save the $100 and take your folks out for a nice dinner than to build a PC that they cannot take full advantage of but that's just my opinion.
Photo Editing PC
(11 items)
 
HTPC
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4790k  ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 ASUS GTX 960 2GB STRIX 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256 GB Samsung 850 PRO WD 2TB Caviar Black Noctua NH U12S Win8.1 
MonitorPowerCase
NEC MultiSynch P232W SeaSonic G 650 Fractal Design Define R5 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel i3-3225 Gigabyte H77N-WiFi 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 1600 120 GB Samsung EVO 840 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1TB WD Blue LG Blue Ray DVD Reader Noctua NH-L9i Win7 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech K-400 Seasonic G360 Fractal Designs Core 500 mITX  
  hide details  
Reply
Photo Editing PC
(11 items)
 
HTPC
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4790k  ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 ASUS GTX 960 2GB STRIX 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256 GB Samsung 850 PRO WD 2TB Caviar Black Noctua NH U12S Win8.1 
MonitorPowerCase
NEC MultiSynch P232W SeaSonic G 650 Fractal Design Define R5 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel i3-3225 Gigabyte H77N-WiFi 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 1600 120 GB Samsung EVO 840 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1TB WD Blue LG Blue Ray DVD Reader Noctua NH-L9i Win7 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech K-400 Seasonic G360 Fractal Designs Core 500 mITX  
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

The new Corsair CX is both better and cheaper then the Thermaltake TR-2 you picked
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139146&cm_re=Corsair_CX-_-17-139-146-_-Product

And no the new CX has NOTHING to do with the old CX at all other then the name
The new CX are DC-DC units which means at long last there is a sub $50 PSU that is not group regulated

Good to know. I was going off my recollection that some of the cheaper Corsair PSU's weren't all that good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan G View Post

If your parents want you to 'over build' a system for them that's fine. As I noted in an earlier post, you don't need anything above a Pentium with integrated graphics for this system. An i3 is not going to run any faster for word processing or net browsing. 16 GB of RAM is also way too much unless they are doing Photoshop or some other RAM hungry application. 8 GB is more than enough here. Why buy a Samsung PRO SSD? You can get a 500 GB EVO for $25 less according to NewEgg's current price. You don't indicate whether they need any more storage than just the SSD. If you are only going to have the one drive, then go up to 500GB.

Personally, I would rather save the $100 and take your folks out for a nice dinner than to build a PC that they cannot take full advantage of but that's just my opinion.

Totally agree with you Alan. 16GB is just too much for that kind of usage. I have two machines that basically surf and use Office. At 4GB I would occasionally start paging to the hard drive but at 8GB I've never come close to using it all. If the machine in question were for Photoshop/Premier/etc then sure but not for surfing and word processing.

To put it in perspective, I have an old desktop that I use to surf and occasionally use Office 365.

CPU: i3 540
RAM: 8GB Cheapo Crucial
Mobo: EVGA H55

This machine is about 6 years old but is still perfectly capable of providing a reasonable experience for those tasks.

For the SSD I could go either way. The PRO is longer-lasting and comes with double the warranty (10-years). Downside is the $/GB is double that of an EVO. I'm stuck on that one. Just don't buy the PRO thinking it's going to be dramatically faster. In benchmarks sire but not day-to-day, seat-of-your-pants.

OP - do your parents have a digital camera? I'm tempted to recommend you add an external backup solution to your budget. My parents have a digital camera and insist on either keeping everything on the SD card (risky) or dumping it to an ancient Dell Inspiron (VERY risky).
Edited by MNiceGuy - 6/14/16 at 7:39am
post #17 of 27
Everyone is gonna hate me.............what about a mac mini?

Before everyone goes nuclear, hear me out.

For 600 bucks you can get an i5 that essentially equates to an i3, 8GBs of ram and a TB of storage.

You can take your SSD, put it in a SSD enclosure to USB 3.0 and then install OSX on that and use the TB for nothing more than a back up OS drive and storage.

For 80 bucks more, you can get apple care.


It really is a good little machine for a fairly decent price if you price. But it is still a good amount more than a PC you can build yourself. But here is the difference. If you have an issue with the machine at any point, you can simply drop the darn thing off at any best buy or apple store.

All you have to worry about is data back ups and what not.

You do not have to sit there and deal with being tech support to your parents. Plus they get a machine that is reliable and they get the peace of mind to be able to rely on someone else if you are not around or able to help.

For the extra 200 bucks, you are basically buying yourself a decent amount of freedom.
Yin&Yang
(19 items)
 
Soon
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4820K Gigabyte X79 UP4 GTX 660 (waiting for new AMD cards) Samsung green  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Adata SP900  Seagate 2TB hard drive (the power of 1 edition)  Custom WC Loop Linux (various versions) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster T240HD Coolermaster XT Green switches XFX 1000w Corsair 800D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Naga Epic 2014 edition Razer Vespula Stax Lambda Nova Classic Custom DIY DAC 
AudioAudioOther
300b PP monoblocks Snell J3 NZXT Hue 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz 8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz EVGA X99 SR?  AMD 390x 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
AMD 390x 128 GB ECC DDR4  1TB PCI-e SSD Custom WC Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Linux 16:10 Samsung PLS 4K monitor Corsair RGB keyboard with custom cherry MX supe... EVGA 1600 watt titanium  
CaseMouseAudio
Caselabs Magnum STH10 DIY my own mouse Snell J 3 
  hide details  
Reply
Yin&Yang
(19 items)
 
Soon
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4820K Gigabyte X79 UP4 GTX 660 (waiting for new AMD cards) Samsung green  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Adata SP900  Seagate 2TB hard drive (the power of 1 edition)  Custom WC Loop Linux (various versions) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster T240HD Coolermaster XT Green switches XFX 1000w Corsair 800D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Naga Epic 2014 edition Razer Vespula Stax Lambda Nova Classic Custom DIY DAC 
AudioAudioOther
300b PP monoblocks Snell J3 NZXT Hue 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz 8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz EVGA X99 SR?  AMD 390x 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
AMD 390x 128 GB ECC DDR4  1TB PCI-e SSD Custom WC Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Linux 16:10 Samsung PLS 4K monitor Corsair RGB keyboard with custom cherry MX supe... EVGA 1600 watt titanium  
CaseMouseAudio
Caselabs Magnum STH10 DIY my own mouse Snell J 3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel View Post

Everyone is gonna hate me.............what about a mac mini?

Before everyone goes nuclear, hear me out.

For 600 bucks you can get an i5 that essentially equates to an i3, 8GBs of ram and a TB of storage.

You can take your SSD, put it in a SSD enclosure to USB 3.0 and then install OSX on that and use the TB for nothing more than a back up OS drive and storage.

For 80 bucks more, you can get apple care.


It really is a good little machine for a fairly decent price if you price. But it is still a good amount more than a PC you can build yourself. But here is the difference. If you have an issue with the machine at any point, you can simply drop the darn thing off at any best buy or apple store.

All you have to worry about is data back ups and what not.

You do not have to sit there and deal with being tech support to your parents. Plus they get a machine that is reliable and they get the peace of mind to be able to rely on someone else if you are not around or able to help.

For the extra 200 bucks, you are basically buying yourself a decent amount of freedom.

When I first saw your suggestion I choked on my lunch a little. After reading your argument though I think you have a good case for this specific need. Apple gets a bad rap on OCN but that's expected given the nature of this site. In the normal world, they are high-quality machines that are, in my opinion, more user friendly than a PC. Basically out-sourcing the support isn't a bad idea either.
post #19 of 27
Thread Starter 
Well I decided to make a few changes.. again.

Pentium G4400
8GB ram
EVO 850 (250gb version)
1 TB WD Blue HDD
Also went with the PSU that MNiceGuy suggested

With those changes the price came back down to $462 and some change. (Not including shipping)

My parents do have a digital camera. They are just starting to figure out how to use it and save photos and videos. So its a matter of time before their storage needs balloons. I decided against the external enclosure because I know how my dad is and would prefer not to worry about plugging in a hard drive to use it.

As far as the mac goes.. my dad would be lost using a mac. tongue.gif
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k @ 4.6ghz Asus P8P67 Pro EVGA SC GTX 570 G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 8GB [2 x 4GB] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Crucial M4 128gb, x2 WD6400AAKS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Samsung SyncMaster T240 Silverstone DA800 800w 
Case
Lian Li PC-A70B 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k @ 4.6ghz Asus P8P67 Pro EVGA SC GTX 570 G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 8GB [2 x 4GB] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Crucial M4 128gb, x2 WD6400AAKS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Samsung SyncMaster T240 Silverstone DA800 800w 
Case
Lian Li PC-A70B 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 27
I'd be hesitant to build a brand new machine for someone in 2016 that's only a dual core. Yes the IPC of the pentiums blow away the APU's but I've been building with A8-7600's for a while and they fly with an SSD.
I have Ryzen!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 5 1600 3.7GHz 1.3v MSI B350M Mortar Arctic Asus Strix RX470 4GB Corsair Vengance LPX 3200 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 520 240GB Transcend 480GB Wraith Spire Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell UltraSharp U2412M CM Quick Fire (Brown Switches) Rosewill Valens 500W Gold Corsiar Carbide Air 240 
Mouse
Zowie 
  hide details  
Reply
I have Ryzen!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 5 1600 3.7GHz 1.3v MSI B350M Mortar Arctic Asus Strix RX470 4GB Corsair Vengance LPX 3200 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 520 240GB Transcend 480GB Wraith Spire Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell UltraSharp U2412M CM Quick Fire (Brown Switches) Rosewill Valens 500W Gold Corsiar Carbide Air 240 
Mouse
Zowie 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › "General - Non gaming" Cheap PC Build