Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › BSOD and Instability in modest 4.5ghz OC 6700k Clock Watchdog Timeout
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BSOD and Instability in modest 4.5ghz OC 6700k Clock Watchdog Timeout - Page 3

post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralODLee View Post

So I've done a lot of reading since yesterday and I've come to question harsh stress testing for PCs that will be used for mostly gaming and no processing of video or images.

Also, the benefit of pushing for 4.6ghz seems silly since I have to reach high voltages to get there (1.42v.... .02 of that comes from vBoost and a level 6 LLC). That is what it required for me to almost erase the vDroop.

Unless there are other settings that I can learn about that will help me stabilize, I will just keep it at a modest and safe 4.5.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tried overclocking the CPU and I found that it wasn't really worth it if you are gaming. Only gained 2-5 FPS at 4.6. The most FPS gains you will get in overclocking is overclocking the GPU instead. It is much easier to do as well.
1st ever build
(13 items)
 
2nd Build
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3770k ASUS Max V Extreme EVGA Titan Corsair Dominator 16GB 1633 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMonitor
Intel SSD Cosair H100i Win 7 Pro ASUS VG248qe 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K90 Corsair AX850 Phantom 630 Corsair M60 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4970k gene vii 750 ti corsair dom 
Optical DriveCase
intel 730 350d 
  hide details  
Reply
1st ever build
(13 items)
 
2nd Build
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3770k ASUS Max V Extreme EVGA Titan Corsair Dominator 16GB 1633 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMonitor
Intel SSD Cosair H100i Win 7 Pro ASUS VG248qe 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K90 Corsair AX850 Phantom 630 Corsair M60 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4970k gene vii 750 ti corsair dom 
Optical DriveCase
intel 730 350d 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiLd FyeR View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralODLee View Post

So I've done a lot of reading since yesterday and I've come to question harsh stress testing for PCs that will be used for mostly gaming and no processing of video or images.

Also, the benefit of pushing for 4.6ghz seems silly since I have to reach high voltages to get there (1.42v.... .02 of that comes from vBoost and a level 6 LLC). That is what it required for me to almost erase the vDroop.

Unless there are other settings that I can learn about that will help me stabilize, I will just keep it at a modest and safe 4.5.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tried overclocking the CPU and I found that it wasn't really worth it if you are gaming. Only gained 2-5 FPS at 4.6. The most FPS gains you will get in overclocking is overclocking the GPU instead. It is much easier to do as well.

I agree... Haha. I just overclocked my MSI GTX 970 and it was a breeze. It is maxed out with super cool temps. Too bad they set the power limit max to 110%. That ends up being the limiting factor on this GPU.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #23 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiLd FyeR View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralODLee View Post

So I've done a lot of reading since yesterday and I've come to question harsh stress testing for PCs that will be used for mostly gaming and no processing of video or images.

Also, the benefit of pushing for 4.6ghz seems silly since I have to reach high voltages to get there (1.42v.... .02 of that comes from vBoost and a level 6 LLC). That is what it required for me to almost erase the vDroop.

Unless there are other settings that I can learn about that will help me stabilize, I will just keep it at a modest and safe 4.5.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tried overclocking the CPU and I found that it wasn't really worth it if you are gaming. Only gained 2-5 FPS at 4.6. The most FPS gains you will get in overclocking is overclocking the GPU instead. It is much easier to do as well.

Now I have to read up on memory.... Should I just base clock it and run XMP? I have trident Z 3200mhz (2x16) but it is only running at 2133mhz now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralODLee View Post

Now I have to read up on memory.... Should I just base clock it and run XMP? I have trident Z 3200mhz (2x16) but it is only running at 2133mhz now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Memory speed, you can either do XMP or manually change it to the rated speed.
Edited by WiLd FyeR - 6/17/16 at 6:54am
1st ever build
(13 items)
 
2nd Build
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3770k ASUS Max V Extreme EVGA Titan Corsair Dominator 16GB 1633 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMonitor
Intel SSD Cosair H100i Win 7 Pro ASUS VG248qe 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K90 Corsair AX850 Phantom 630 Corsair M60 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4970k gene vii 750 ti corsair dom 
Optical DriveCase
intel 730 350d 
  hide details  
Reply
1st ever build
(13 items)
 
2nd Build
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3770k ASUS Max V Extreme EVGA Titan Corsair Dominator 16GB 1633 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMonitor
Intel SSD Cosair H100i Win 7 Pro ASUS VG248qe 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K90 Corsair AX850 Phantom 630 Corsair M60 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4970k gene vii 750 ti corsair dom 
Optical DriveCase
intel 730 350d 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiLd FyeR View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralODLee View Post

Now I have to read up on memory.... Should I just base clock it and run XMP? I have trident Z 3200mhz (2x16) but it is only running at 2133mhz now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Memory speed, you can either do XMP or manually change it to the rated speed.

Will switching my XMP on now, after I have a stable OC, potentially destabilize my OC?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralODLee View Post

Will switching my XMP on now, after I have a stable OC, potentially destabilize my OC?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It can be possible that it'll affect you OC. CPU OC'ing can be sensitive.
1st ever build
(13 items)
 
2nd Build
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3770k ASUS Max V Extreme EVGA Titan Corsair Dominator 16GB 1633 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMonitor
Intel SSD Cosair H100i Win 7 Pro ASUS VG248qe 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K90 Corsair AX850 Phantom 630 Corsair M60 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4970k gene vii 750 ti corsair dom 
Optical DriveCase
intel 730 350d 
  hide details  
Reply
1st ever build
(13 items)
 
2nd Build
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3770k ASUS Max V Extreme EVGA Titan Corsair Dominator 16GB 1633 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMonitor
Intel SSD Cosair H100i Win 7 Pro ASUS VG248qe 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K90 Corsair AX850 Phantom 630 Corsair M60 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4970k gene vii 750 ti corsair dom 
Optical DriveCase
intel 730 350d 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › BSOD and Instability in modest 4.5ghz OC 6700k Clock Watchdog Timeout