Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [VC] RX 480 allegedly legit 3DMark scores
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[VC] RX 480 allegedly legit 3DMark scores - Page 21

post #201 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serios View Post

If you say so, you are clearly very well informed.
You clearly don't want AMD to succeed, you are even bother by the idea that this would be possible.
I clearly dont want AMD to succeed because I pay attention to what AMD has been doing for the past three years? Ok then.

I am simply going off of what AMD has done in the past. The 300 series came out with the rebrands (AFTER a three month delay by the by), then a month later we got furyx (and que massive supply issues) and then three months AFTER that we got the one other new GPU in the 300 series lineup, the 380x. at launch, the 300 series was only rebrands, and the new chips came out 1-3 months after the main lineup. AMD has already set precedence of doing this kind of thing.

So tell me, what are the chances of AMD doing that again? I am going off of past performance here. Like I said, I want AMD to succeed, but given the corporate culture has not changed since the 300 series, I am cynical that AMD will deliver in mobile, at least on time. If AMD waits 1-3 months after the 400 mobile launch to actually deliver polaris, nvidia may have countered with the 1060m by then. and the 1070m and 1080m will most certainly be here by then. If those beat mobile polaris to notebooks, AMD will suffer. Again. Just like the m295x.

Desktop is a bit of a different story, since they dont seem to have any re-badges on the desktop yet. But mobile is already looking to be a repeat of the 300 series. That does not mean I want AMD to fail, I am just set my expectations very low after AMD screwed up again and again, every time promising to change. Just like a certain developer from england, who crafts quite a fable every time a new game of his comes out.
Edited by GamerusMaximus - 6/15/16 at 8:54am
Frankenstein
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k @4.2 GHz 1.015v Frankensteined asus p8z77 v pro XFX RX 480 GTR Black Edition 16GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
1TB mushkin reactor ancient CM 212+ windows 10 pro 64 1kw rosewill quark platinum  
Case
corsair 230t 
  hide details  
Reply
Frankenstein
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k @4.2 GHz 1.015v Frankensteined asus p8z77 v pro XFX RX 480 GTR Black Edition 16GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
1TB mushkin reactor ancient CM 212+ windows 10 pro 64 1kw rosewill quark platinum  
Case
corsair 230t 
  hide details  
Reply
post #202 of 375
Again whit the useless explanations nobody cares about.
Polaris 11 GPUs will be available on 29 this month for 79 euros in Germany it seems so I don't see the delivering problem you are taking about, not to mention the fact that you basically mentioned APUs and big GPUs dies which are clearly not the same thing we are taking about here.
Polaris 11 is a small GPU for most part design for mobile, yields should not be a problem.
post #203 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerusMaximus View Post

I clearly dont want AMD to succeed because I pay attention to what AMD has been doing for the past three years? Ok then.

I am simply going off of what AMD has done in the past. The 300 series came out with the rebrands, then a month later we got furyx (and que massive supply issues) and then three months AFTER that we got the one other new GPU in the 300 series lineup, the 380x. at launch, the 300 series was only rebrands, and the new chips came out 1-3 months after the main lineup. AMD has already set precedence of doing this kind of thing.

Nvidia is doing the same thing with it's 1080/1070 cards. Seems it's the trend to release things early so people know about them, way before they have ample supplies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerusMaximus View Post

So tell me, what are the chances of AMD doing that again? I am going off of past performance here. Like I said, I want AMD to succeed, but given the corporate culture has not changed since the 300 series, I am cynical that AMD will deliver in mobile, at least on time. If AMD waits 1-3 months after the 400 mobile launch to actually deliver polaris, nvidia may have countered with the 1060m by then. and the 1070m and 1080m will most certainly be here by then. If those beat mobile polaris to notebooks, AMD will suffer. Again. Just like the m295x.

You're making many assumptions, supply assumptions (of which Nvidia are doing themselves)

Assumptions of the corporate culture of AMD, yet Lisa Su's leadership won't make things happen instantly.

It won't be the end of the world if the 1060m is out first, AMD is playing the catch up game and also the long game with their new architecture and console deals.

People like you expect things to happen in an instant and have a mind that you allow to be clouded in doubt instead of just seeing how it pans out. Things can change.

Supply issues might not be a problem this time around. They may deliver Zen enthusiast and APUs on time, but you've all but convinced yourself they won't.

AMD was also successful at many points in time, but you concentrate on every negative possible, I feel sorry for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerusMaximus View Post

Desktop is a bit of a different story, since they dont seem to have any re-badges on the desktop yet. But mobile is already looking to be a repeat of the 300 series. That does not mean I want AMD to fail, I am just set my expectations very low after AMD screwed up again and again, every time promising to change. Just like a certain developer from england, who crafts quite a fable every time a new game of his comes out.

As I've stated their new architecture can't magically be in every product line instantly, you are an armchair expert who knows little about realistic production times and product development.

They are not choosing to screw up anything by rebranding mobile sector GPUs it's all they can physically do right now.

As I've said they are playing the long game it's impossible to catch up instantly but they have done the groundwork now to do well over the next few years.

Your negativity is obvious that's why the other member of OCN called you out. You have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to AMD.
Edited by Waitng4realGPU - 6/15/16 at 9:12am
post #204 of 375
After 300 series launched, AMD did reorganize graphics into Radeon Technologies Group, with Raja Koduri leading.
post #205 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waitng4realGPU View Post

Nvidia is doing the same thing with it's 1080/1070 cards. Seems it's the trend to release things early so people know about them, way before they have ample supplies.
You're making many assumptions, supply assumptions (of which Nvidia are doing themselves)

Assumptions of the corporate culture of AMD, yet Lisa Su's leadership won't make things happen instantly.

It won't be the end of the world if the 1060m is out first, AMD is playing the catch up game and also the long game with their new architecture and console deals.

People like you expect things to happen in an instant and have a mind that you allow to be clouded in doubt instead of just seeing how it pans out. Things can change.

Supply issues might not be a problem this time around. They may deliver Zen enthusiast and APUs on time, but you've all but convinced yourself they won't.

AMD was also successful at many points in time, but you concentrate on every negative possible, I feel sorry for you.


They are not screwing up anything by rebranding mobile sector GPUs it's all they can physically do right now, as I've said they are playing the long game it's impossible to catch up instantly but they have done the groundwork now to do well over the next few years.

Your negativity is obvious that's why the other member of OCN called you out. You have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to AMD.
Yeah, me, the one who said that he'd love to buy a pair of 480s and crossfire them, has something against AMD. Right. I have nothing against AMD, I have bought their products before, and promoted them against intel/nvidia when they were doing well. I am just being realistic. We've seen AMD screw up time and time again. As you said, lisa su cant change everything immediately, so why should we assume AMD magically got their act together for polaris? You are assuming that a lot has changed at AMD, while simultaneously putting me down for thinking that change should have happened by now.


I remember how excited people got by bulldozer, abbut the 300 series, and the massive let down that followed. Yes, the 200 series was pretty good, and yes the 290/290x were amazing. But the 300 series was a massive let down.

I assume that zen wont be on time because either A.) AMD's product was on time and dissapointed, or B.) AMD's product was months late, almost a year late for low wattage kaveri, which hurt AMD badly. This has described every CPU AMD has made since late 2011, when bulldozer came out. Everyone here seems to assume none of this will happen again, which would take a major culture shift at AMD to achieve, which as you said, takes time.
Quote:
As I've stated their new architecture can't magically be in every product line instantly, you are an armchair expert who knows little about realistic production times and product development.
Yeah, thats why nvidia has everything from the 950m to the 970m as Kepler, with only the 980m being maxwell. Oh wait, no, they are all maxwell. The 950m, 960m, 965m, 970m, and 980m. Even the 930 and 940m are maxwell. Only the 920m and below are older gens. But AMD is putting the mid range (950-960m level chips) out as old gens, and only the higher end (970m to 980m) level are getting polaris, unless they changed their minds and didnt tell anyone. Clearly, it is possible to do more then just the top line of chips, because nvidia has done it, and intel, excluding the broadwell chips, has done it. AMD did it with the 7000 series. Yet AMD cant do it now? I am being critical here, because AMD cannot survive on just a few GPUs and a bunch of rebrands. They proved that, with the 300 series that was dominated by nvidia and saw AMD drop to historic lows for market share.

If AMD wants to come out and prove themselves, release polaris and give us actual competition, I will be very happy. But until AMD actually does that, I will continue to be cynical, because they have let us down time and time again, and I simply dont see that changing anytime soon.
Edited by GamerusMaximus - 6/15/16 at 9:26am
Frankenstein
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k @4.2 GHz 1.015v Frankensteined asus p8z77 v pro XFX RX 480 GTR Black Edition 16GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
1TB mushkin reactor ancient CM 212+ windows 10 pro 64 1kw rosewill quark platinum  
Case
corsair 230t 
  hide details  
Reply
Frankenstein
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k @4.2 GHz 1.015v Frankensteined asus p8z77 v pro XFX RX 480 GTR Black Edition 16GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
1TB mushkin reactor ancient CM 212+ windows 10 pro 64 1kw rosewill quark platinum  
Case
corsair 230t 
  hide details  
Reply
post #206 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerusMaximus View Post


As you said, lisa su cant change everything immediately, so why should we assume AMD magically got their act together for polaris? You are assuming that a lot has changed at AMD, while simultaneously putting me down for thinking that change should have happened by now.

You should look over this article: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9612/amd-reorganizes-graphics-division-radeon-whole-once-more-led-by-raja-koduri

I think RTG qualifies as changing corporate culture, removing all graphics divisions into one big solid unit reporting to Koduri who reports to Lisa Su. Perhaps Polaris is the beginning of the results of change.
post #207 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerusMaximus View Post

Yeah, me, the one who said that he'd love to buy a pair of 480s and crossfire them, has something against AMD. Right. I have nothing against AMD, I have bought their products before, and promoted them against intel/nvidia when they were doing well. I am just being realistic. We've seen AMD screw up time and time again. As you said, lisa su cant change everything immediately, so why should we assume AMD magically got their act together for polaris? You are assuming that a lot has changed at AMD, while simultaneously putting me down for thinking that change should have happened by now.


I remember how excited people got by bulldozer, abbut the 300 series, and the massive let down that followed. Yes, the 200 series was pretty good, and yes the 290/290x were amazing. But the 300 series was a massive let down.

I assume that zen wont be on time because either A.) AMD's product was on time and dissapointed, or B.) AMD's product was months late, almost a year late for low wattage kaveri, which hurt AMD badly. This has described every CPU AMD has made since late 2011, when bulldozer came out. Everyone here seems to assume none of this will happen again, which would take a major culture shift at AMD to achieve, which as you said, takes time.
Yeah, thats why nvidia has everything from the 950m to the 970m as Kepler, with only the 980m being maxwell. Oh wait, no, they are all maxwell. The 950m, 960m, 965m, 970m, and 980m. Even the 930 and 940m are maxwell. Only the 920m and below are older gens. But AMD is putting the mid range (950-960m level chips) out as old gens, and only the higher end (970m to 980m) level are getting polaris, unless they changed their minds and didnt tell anyone. Clearly, it is possible to do more then just the top line of chips. I am being critical here, because AMD cannot survive on just a few GPUs and a bunch of rebrands. They proved that, with the 300 series that was dominated by nvidia and saw AMD drop to historic lows for market share.

I'm hoping that a lot has changed with AMD, and signs are pointing to that being a reality.

In 2012 they hired Jim Keller. They now have an alleged competitor to intel chips finally.

They completely overhauled their cpu design. That is something to be optimistic about, dwelling on release times being maybe 3-6 months later than stated is not going to make or break a great cpu architecture.

You're so worried about it being on time that you are ignoring anything positive. This is called being pessimistic.

Bulldozer and the 300 series was a letdown. The new architecture is not the 300 series, Zen is not bulldozer.

They haven't even released these products yet and you are assuming the worst, whilst ignoring positives, it is that simple.

They have the consoles, and therefore the architecture driving those consoles. With DX12 they no longer have the overhead problem plaguing them, This will help them make a bit of a comeback over the next few years.

AMD are releasing what they can when they can, according to their plan of regaining marketshare and profit. They do not have the production levels yet, or the power like Nvidia does to suddenly break the game open with an instant comeback and a whole line of new products.

You are expecting way too much, and you are expecting failure.
post #208 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLAWNOOB View Post

Pretty sure the intel insider sticker still sells.
ya and average joe layman wouldn't notice if there was no intel inside sticker
Summit Ridge
(16 items)
 
ASUS R510DP
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1600X ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 PNY GTX 1050 2GB 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200 CL16 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Plextor M6S Plus 256GB SSD Toshiba X300 6TB Toshiba X300 6TB Toshiba 2TB 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Deepcool BETA 400 ST Windows 8.1 Pro x64 HP S2031 20" Samsung SyncMaster 932BW 19" 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic S12G 750w Lian Li full tower Logitech MX310 SteelSeries 4HD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10-5750m 3.5Ghz ASUStek A75M FCH HD 8650G + HD 8670M dual graphics 2x4GB Samsung 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi 250GB HDD (SSD died) Panasonic CD/DVD Xubuntu linux 16.04 LTS 15.6" 1920x1080 
  hide details  
Reply
Summit Ridge
(16 items)
 
ASUS R510DP
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1600X ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 PNY GTX 1050 2GB 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200 CL16 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Plextor M6S Plus 256GB SSD Toshiba X300 6TB Toshiba X300 6TB Toshiba 2TB 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Deepcool BETA 400 ST Windows 8.1 Pro x64 HP S2031 20" Samsung SyncMaster 932BW 19" 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic S12G 750w Lian Li full tower Logitech MX310 SteelSeries 4HD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10-5750m 3.5Ghz ASUStek A75M FCH HD 8650G + HD 8670M dual graphics 2x4GB Samsung 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi 250GB HDD (SSD died) Panasonic CD/DVD Xubuntu linux 16.04 LTS 15.6" 1920x1080 
  hide details  
Reply
post #209 of 375
What performance jump should one see if upgrading from a 270X to a RX480?
Stryker
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8320 Gigabyte DS3P GTX970 G1 HyperX Fury 1866MHz 2x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
1TB Drive 850 Evo 250GB Kingston V300 120GB Wdrive DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Nepton 240M Windows 8.1 LG 22EA53 Logitech G105 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Thermaltake SE 630W Cooler Master Storm Stryker CM Sentinel Advance 2 Cooler Master ControlRX 
Audio
XWave 5.1 100W 
  hide details  
Reply
Stryker
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8320 Gigabyte DS3P GTX970 G1 HyperX Fury 1866MHz 2x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
1TB Drive 850 Evo 250GB Kingston V300 120GB Wdrive DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Nepton 240M Windows 8.1 LG 22EA53 Logitech G105 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Thermaltake SE 630W Cooler Master Storm Stryker CM Sentinel Advance 2 Cooler Master ControlRX 
Audio
XWave 5.1 100W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #210 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancykiller65 View Post

You should look over this article: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9612/amd-reorganizes-graphics-division-radeon-whole-once-more-led-by-raja-koduri

I think RTG qualifies as changing corporate culture, removing all graphics divisions into one big solid unit reporting to Koduri who reports to Lisa Su. Perhaps Polaris is the beginning of the results of change.

Nevermind, we are already seeing improvements from RTG, http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-Crimson-Edition-drivers-continue-quality-improvement

Past six months, we're getting a lot more drivers, being pushed out faster than before.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [VC] RX 480 allegedly legit 3DMark scores