Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [WCCF] AMD RX 480 Can Hit 1.5Ghz+, New Overclocking Tool With Voltage Control Coming
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[WCCF] AMD RX 480 Can Hit 1.5Ghz+, New Overclocking Tool With Voltage Control Coming - Page 229  

post #2281 of 2870
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevChelios View Post

Furies are a joke, Fury X literally beats stock 980Ti in only 2 games - Hitman and AotS, in the rest its on par or a bit worse .. and OC vs OC the 980Ti buries it

they're even more of a joke now when they're NOT getting the price cuts the 980Ti is after Pascal is out .. I mean Im looking right now @ local shops and seeing new Fury X for 690EUR .. new 980Tis for ~480+ EUR .. I bought my G1 1080 for 697 EUR .. that Fury X has the worst p/p ever, excluding maybe the $1000 Titans rolleyes.gif
if they are willing to turn down the settings to High/Medium from max in future more demanding games (especially after Neo and Scorpio roll out and up the requirements shoot up for everything), then sure biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolerk52 View Post

I have to question Fury X's longevity having 4GB of VRAM. I'd rather it had GDDR5 tbh.


On the contrary, my Fury X performed amazingly well at 4K resolutions. It trades blows with the 980 ti depending on the game, but often wins at 4K. I am not so sure I understand why people bash HBM. It is an amazing memory architecture. The Fury/Nano series actually gets better in performance with higher resolutions... with a 4GB limit.

The only real problem with it is manufacturing the actual die is much more expensive due to additional, non-traditional steps with an interposer. It's why the Nano was so much more expensive than hoped for, initially.
post #2282 of 2870
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman View Post


On the contrary, my Fury X performed amazingly well at 4K resolutions. It trades blows with the 980 ti depending on the game, but often wins at 4K. I am not so sure I understand why people bash HBM. It is an amazing memory architecture. The Fury/Nano series actually gets better in performance with higher resolutions... with a 4GB limit.

The only real problem with it is manufacturing the actual die is much more expensive due to additional, non-traditional steps with an interposer. It's why the Nano was so much more expensive than hoped for, initially.
Performance scaling with resolution is a GCN thing, not HBM. Hawaii behaves like that too.
post #2283 of 2870
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolerk52 View Post

I have to question Fury X's longevity having 4GB of VRAM. I'd rather it had GDDR5 tbh.

You would usually only need more than 4GB for 4k textures, which you don't need @1440p, and Flurry isn't a 4k card. And I think Sapphire Fury Nitro is a beast.
post #2284 of 2870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha-Nocri View Post

You would usually only need more than 4GB for 4k textures, which you don't need @1440p, and Flurry isn't a 4k card. And I think Sapphire Fury Nitro is a beast.
For now.
Years down the line, 1080p will need 6GB easily.
post #2285 of 2870
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolerk52 View Post

For now.
Years down the line, 1080p will need 6GB easily.

Years down the line you turn down your graphics options instead of trying to play a game at MAX on an old GPU.
μRyzen
(12 items)
 
Mini Box
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R5 1400 MSI B350M Gaming Pro Zotac GTX 670 4GB G.SKILL FORTIS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
WD Green 3tb Wraith Stealth Windows 10 Debian 8.7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
ViewSonic VX-2257-8 Chinese backlit mechanical Kingwin 850w Chinese laser optical 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5350 Asus AM1I-A EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC 2x4GB DDR 3 1333 
  hide details  
μRyzen
(12 items)
 
Mini Box
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R5 1400 MSI B350M Gaming Pro Zotac GTX 670 4GB G.SKILL FORTIS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
WD Green 3tb Wraith Stealth Windows 10 Debian 8.7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
ViewSonic VX-2257-8 Chinese backlit mechanical Kingwin 850w Chinese laser optical 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5350 Asus AM1I-A EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC 2x4GB DDR 3 1333 
  hide details  
post #2286 of 2870
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolerk52 View Post

Performance scaling with resolution is a GCN thing, not HBM. Hawaii behaves like that too.

You're wrong, man. Explain why the Fury line is not bottlenecked at all by 4GB?This is not to mention the performance enabled due to the efficiency improvements of HBM with TDP constraints and 3500+ shaders. Yes GCN scales well, but it is very clearly not bottlenecked by 4GB of HBM.
post #2287 of 2870
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman View Post

You're wrong, man. Explain why the Fury line is not bottlenecked at all by 4GB?This is not to mention the performance enabled due to the efficiency improvements of HBM with TDP constraints and 3500+ shaders. Yes GCN scales well, but it is very clearly not bottlenecked by 4GB of HBM.

It is. Minimum FPS are pretty bad in instances where the 980 Ti does better.

It just does not have enough memory for the time it launched. If it launched about a year earlier, we would not be debating if 4gb was enough or not.
μRyzen
(12 items)
 
Mini Box
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R5 1400 MSI B350M Gaming Pro Zotac GTX 670 4GB G.SKILL FORTIS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
WD Green 3tb Wraith Stealth Windows 10 Debian 8.7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
ViewSonic VX-2257-8 Chinese backlit mechanical Kingwin 850w Chinese laser optical 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5350 Asus AM1I-A EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC 2x4GB DDR 3 1333 
  hide details  
μRyzen
(12 items)
 
Mini Box
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R5 1400 MSI B350M Gaming Pro Zotac GTX 670 4GB G.SKILL FORTIS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
WD Green 3tb Wraith Stealth Windows 10 Debian 8.7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
ViewSonic VX-2257-8 Chinese backlit mechanical Kingwin 850w Chinese laser optical 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5350 Asus AM1I-A EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC 2x4GB DDR 3 1333 
  hide details  
post #2288 of 2870
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarathKasun View Post

It is. Minimum FPS are pretty bad in instances where the 980 Ti does better.

It just does not have enough memory for the time it launched. If it launched about a year earlier, we would not be debating if 4gb was enough or not.

I'm sorry. You're wrong.









Even in BF4 it is consistently 4-5 frames slower in min and avg FPS.



On the contrary, again - having owned a Fury X it was actually one of the smoothest 4K experiences I have had.

Edit: Wrong image.
post #2289 of 2870
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopper View Post

Nvidia cant beat amd fury line.
Imagine a die shrink and 2ghz and your still failing at it?

the 480 aimed at low end users that can start to use the dx12 for gaming at a pricepoint never before seen.

I hope you're kidding. Cherry picking one benchmark to prove your point is just low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waitng4realGPU View Post

People said DX12 was not relevant for many years, now the same people a few months later tell others not to buy second hand 980ti's because DX12 is better on Pascal.

It's confusing.
Yet owners of the Fury X will be happily gaming for years as drivers improve and DX12 becomes the norm.

It's unfortunate Fury / Fury X owners still suffer from desktop artifact. We're already seeing the Fury X 4GB VRAM becoming a issue in games like Mirrors Edge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman View Post

I'm sorry. You're wrong.









Even in BF4 it is consistently 4-5 frames slower in min and avg FPS.



On the contrary, again - having owned a Fury X it was actually one of the smoothest 4K experiences I have had.

Edit: Wrong image.

Comparing a 980Ti Stock vs a Fury X stock. rolleyes.gif
^_^
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2600K ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 Gigabyte Windforce 7970 OC Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
Noctua D14 Asus VG248QE Corsair TX 750 V2 Corsair 650D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
G400, MX518, G500, G5, IMO 1.1, IME 3.0, Deatha... fUnC 1030, QCK+, QCK Heavy, PureTrak Talent Whi... X-Fi Titanium HD Sennheiser HD555 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2.4GHz Intel HD 4000 8GB 256GB SSD 
Monitor
2880 x 1800 Retina 
  hide details  
^_^
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2600K ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 Gigabyte Windforce 7970 OC Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
Noctua D14 Asus VG248QE Corsair TX 750 V2 Corsair 650D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
G400, MX518, G500, G5, IMO 1.1, IME 3.0, Deatha... fUnC 1030, QCK+, QCK Heavy, PureTrak Talent Whi... X-Fi Titanium HD Sennheiser HD555 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2.4GHz Intel HD 4000 8GB 256GB SSD 
Monitor
2880 x 1800 Retina 
  hide details  
post #2290 of 2870
Heh, fake hypers showing up already.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [WCCF] AMD RX 480 Can Hit 1.5Ghz+, New Overclocking Tool With Voltage Control Coming