Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [RT] AMD FX-6350 Versus Intel Core i3-6100 Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[RT] AMD FX-6350 Versus Intel Core i3-6100 Review - Page 11

post #101 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcn77 View Post

You mean TechSpot?

No. Definitely Tech Report. Wasson is the only person I can think of that was showing the data this way for the first time.

http://techreport.com/review/23246/inside-the-second-gaming-performance-with-today-cpus

Granted, it's old data and done through FRAPS, but it's a very neat way of showing how the CPUs respond over a given set of games.
post #102 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by CataclysmZA View Post

No. Definitely Tech Report. Wasson is the only person I can think of that was showing the data this way for the first time.

http://techreport.com/review/23246/inside-the-second-gaming-performance-with-today-cpus

Granted, it's old data and done through FRAPS, but it's a very neat way of showing how the CPUs respond over a given set of games.

i like techreport's way of reviewing, its much easier to understand how said rigs would perform in actual.

as for why vishera/bulldozer was underperforming, i take it they weren't OCed, although this is quite an idiotic reasoning.
its pretty apparent that single-thread performance still matters a lot even on multi-threaded games, as all games still relies on one primary thread.


the reasoning is pretty simple, say you have a group of engineers (cores) that are working to construct a building.
obviously that group of engineer would have a leader, someone who manages the whole thing as to make it work out right.
if that lead engineer was as slow as a snail, then wouldn't the construction be riddled with halting and delayed phases?
with such slow leadership, it wouldn't matter if you had 10 or more engineers, the construction would still be slowed down.
Edited by epic1337 - 6/19/16 at 5:04pm
post #103 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithh View Post

4x MSAA, max settings, unknown resolution to get the GPU load burning at full load is a cheap trick to make AMD equal to Intel. I mean you can't expect to see a difference between AMD & Intel when the GPU is the limitation - how long will it take before people understand this?
Also this thread is about a review.

Funny since the benchmark that I posted shows DX 11 and DX 12 results for Ashes of the Singularity.
IF DX 12 results is the same on both processors it would indicate CPU limiting performance is eliminated why using DX 12.
Since DX 11 results would indicate at CPU limiting GPU performance or CPU bottleneck while DX 12 results are a GPU bottleneck.

I know that two processors and a four different numbers in a row can be confusing to some. Hence we have pictures.


4k is in dark blue
1440p is solid blue
1080p is light blue

4xMSAA [DX 11 = Direct X 11 and DX 12 = Direct X 12]
AotS = Ashes of the Singularity


If you need more help I have Faith[h] somebody in this thread can explain things to you.







My post that you quoted was in response to what Derp [post #25]

"DX12 can't save Vishera. Nobody should be purchasing AM3 or a Vishera chip at this point. Putting the bottleneck on the GPU and attempting to use that data to compare processor performance is extremely dishonest."


In which he posted a picture of AoTS [Ashes of the Singularity] result of DX11 and DX12.

I can pickup locally a FX-8320e with ASROCK Fatal1ty 990FX Killer AM3+ Motherboard and a free $60 game for $135 AR + tax. $60 for a EVGA 16GB DDR3-2400 kit. Then spend the rest of GPU.Not everybody has access to this deal but talking about buying a dual core and being future proof is just silly. No such thing as future proof in computer.
AR 5650
(12 items)
 
AK 8320e
(12 items)
 
AR 1151
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core Supermicro C7Z170-M LGA 1151 mATX MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X 4GB Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Model TDRED4... 
CoolingPowerCase
Scythe Fuma (SCFM-1000) Twin Tower EVGA 750 GQ, 80+ GOLD 750W, Semi Modular RAIJINTEK STYX Gold, Alu Micro-ATX Case 
  hide details  
Reply
AR 5650
(12 items)
 
AK 8320e
(12 items)
 
AR 1151
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core Supermicro C7Z170-M LGA 1151 mATX MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X 4GB Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Model TDRED4... 
CoolingPowerCase
Scythe Fuma (SCFM-1000) Twin Tower EVGA 750 GQ, 80+ GOLD 750W, Semi Modular RAIJINTEK STYX Gold, Alu Micro-ATX Case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #104 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by CataclysmZA View Post

No. Definitely Tech Report. Wasson is the only person I can think of that was showing the data this way for the first time.

http://techreport.com/review/23246/inside-the-second-gaming-performance-with-today-cpus

Granted, it's old data and done through FRAPS, but it's a very neat way of showing how the CPUs respond over a given set of games.
Mr. Wasson has taken the Red and I believe with good reason. TechReport's benchmarks never distinguished between cpu, ram and especially the all new Directx 12 trends. The narrative had moved on from the archaic benchmarks conducted in the name of performance by that point. I consider TechSpot the spiritual successor to TechReport for these reasons.
The Machine
(14 items)
 
Nexus 7 2013
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10 6800K Asus F2A85-V MSI 6870 Hawx, VTX3D 5770, AMD HD6950(RIP), Sap... G.skill Ripjaws PC12800 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 7200.5 1TB NEC 3540 Dvd-Rom Windows 7 x32 Ultimate Samsung P2350 23" 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic s12-600w CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Logitech G600 Auzen X-Fi Raider 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Quad Krait 300 at 1.5Ghz Qualcomm APQ8064-1AA SOC Adreno 320 at 400mhz 2GB DDR3L-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB Internal NAND Android 5.0 7" 1920X1200 103% sRGB & 572 cd/m2 LTPS IPS Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard 
PowerAudio
3950mAh/15.01mAh Battery Stereo Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
The Machine
(14 items)
 
Nexus 7 2013
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10 6800K Asus F2A85-V MSI 6870 Hawx, VTX3D 5770, AMD HD6950(RIP), Sap... G.skill Ripjaws PC12800 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 7200.5 1TB NEC 3540 Dvd-Rom Windows 7 x32 Ultimate Samsung P2350 23" 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic s12-600w CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Logitech G600 Auzen X-Fi Raider 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Quad Krait 300 at 1.5Ghz Qualcomm APQ8064-1AA SOC Adreno 320 at 400mhz 2GB DDR3L-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB Internal NAND Android 5.0 7" 1920X1200 103% sRGB & 572 cd/m2 LTPS IPS Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard 
PowerAudio
3950mAh/15.01mAh Battery Stereo Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #105 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcn77 View Post

So, does it matter whether it runs 60Hz, or 200Hz? Most monitors are 60 anyway. Continue obfuscating the solution some more, please.

Because a lot of older games do use the single thread power and need it, and because future titles need more cpu power. Meeting the minimum bar of "just barely enough" is not a smart buy.

All DX12 / Vulkan do is make better use of the cpu. That doesn't suddenly and magically make the cpu performance differences irrelevant it just means we will need even faster gpu's to reallly tell them apart. Now again, looking at the current market and the fact that I still play tons of very cpu intensive games (as do others) I think it's ridiculous to just bank on dx12/vulkan to save a cpu.

When I bought my 8120 back in 2011 I was banking on more multithreaded games to come... welp they are finally here, 5 years later and it's still slower than most quads. My 8350 nor my 9590 changed this. It was years of sitting on wasted potential. Unfortunately the platform itself is now too old to consider and it's a shame because the FX-8's can finally stretch their legs slightly now.
Edited by SoloCamo - 6/19/16 at 8:29pm
The Struggle (4k)
(20 items)
 
File Server
(12 items)
 
Lenovo G50-45
(6 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMOS
Athlon II X2 250u Nvidia 6150SE  2gb DDR3 1066mhz Windows 10 Home 64 bit 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
AMD A8-6410 AMD R5 Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR3L 1866 CAS10 Crucial BX100 250gb 
Optical DriveOS
DVD Windows 10 Home 
  hide details  
Reply
The Struggle (4k)
(20 items)
 
File Server
(12 items)
 
Lenovo G50-45
(6 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMOS
Athlon II X2 250u Nvidia 6150SE  2gb DDR3 1066mhz Windows 10 Home 64 bit 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
AMD A8-6410 AMD R5 Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR3L 1866 CAS10 Crucial BX100 250gb 
Optical DriveOS
DVD Windows 10 Home 
  hide details  
Reply
post #106 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloCamo View Post

Because a lot of older games do use the single thread power and need it, and because future titles need more cpu power. Meeting the minimum bar of "just barely enough" is not a smart buy.

All DX12 / Vulkan do is make better use of the cpu. That doesn't suddenly and magically make the cpu performance differences irrelevant it just means we will need even faster gpu's to reallly tell them apart. Now again, looking at the current market and the fact that I still play tons of very cpu intensive games (as do others) I think it's ridiculous to just bank on dx12/vulkan to save a cpu.

When I bought my 8120 back in 2011 I was banking on more multithreaded games to come... welp they are finally here, 5 years later and it's still slower than most quads. My 8350 nor my 9590 changed this. It was years of sitting on wasted potential. Unfortunately the platform itself is now too old to consider and it's a shame because the FX-8's can finally stretch their legs slightly now.
Well, you aren't helping yourself moving the goalpost along the way. Skylake i3's have equivalent FPU execution resources compared to FX 8000's, thus bear equal weight in the benchmarks. Its single threaded performance is just as consequential as its newer architecture. You cannot just expect FX to hold up against years of continued progress; however if it still hold up to par now, it stands the test of time, imho.
Cool-running efficiency just cannot be replaced in any other way than a more advanced node that incorporates finfets which themselves have progressed a lot in Skylake over Haswell through use of less transistor gates for the same function(2;3), afaik. This challenge isn't favouring AMD in anyway when all the cards are stacked in favour of the newer generation of cpus - quite frankly the most realistic favourable outcome would be a tie - FX'es are missing key components next to Skylake. Even in the most ideal setting, FX would use more power to perform the same function, however that could be mitigated by using quality components that come standard in the Wraith cooler package and a high end motherboard.
The Machine
(14 items)
 
Nexus 7 2013
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10 6800K Asus F2A85-V MSI 6870 Hawx, VTX3D 5770, AMD HD6950(RIP), Sap... G.skill Ripjaws PC12800 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 7200.5 1TB NEC 3540 Dvd-Rom Windows 7 x32 Ultimate Samsung P2350 23" 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic s12-600w CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Logitech G600 Auzen X-Fi Raider 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Quad Krait 300 at 1.5Ghz Qualcomm APQ8064-1AA SOC Adreno 320 at 400mhz 2GB DDR3L-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB Internal NAND Android 5.0 7" 1920X1200 103% sRGB & 572 cd/m2 LTPS IPS Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard 
PowerAudio
3950mAh/15.01mAh Battery Stereo Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
The Machine
(14 items)
 
Nexus 7 2013
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10 6800K Asus F2A85-V MSI 6870 Hawx, VTX3D 5770, AMD HD6950(RIP), Sap... G.skill Ripjaws PC12800 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 7200.5 1TB NEC 3540 Dvd-Rom Windows 7 x32 Ultimate Samsung P2350 23" 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic s12-600w CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Logitech G600 Auzen X-Fi Raider 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Quad Krait 300 at 1.5Ghz Qualcomm APQ8064-1AA SOC Adreno 320 at 400mhz 2GB DDR3L-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB Internal NAND Android 5.0 7" 1920X1200 103% sRGB & 572 cd/m2 LTPS IPS Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard 
PowerAudio
3950mAh/15.01mAh Battery Stereo Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #107 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcn77 View Post

So, does it matter whether it runs 60Hz, or 200Hz? Most monitors are 60 anyway. Continue obfuscating the solution some more, please.

The better question is if AMD's current line up matters or not and the answer they don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuchler View Post

Funny since the benchmark that I posted shows DX 11 and DX 12 results for Ashes of the Singularity.
IF DX 12 results is the same on both processors it would indicate CPU limiting performance is eliminated why using DX 12.
Since DX 11 results would indicate at CPU limiting GPU performance or CPU bottleneck while DX 12 results are a GPU bottleneck.

You fail to understand that the CPU bottleneck isn't lifted. Sure it got on par with Intel using DX12 - but the only reason why is because the GPU usage capped due to using 4x MSAA and max settings to the point the CPU is no longer a factor anymore. Using max settings and 4x msaa will always raise the GPU load regardless of how your cpu performs. Add another 980 and you'll see a huge difference between AMD & Intel again because like I said the CPU bottleneck hasn't been lifted.

(Here it's clear the CPU bottlenecking is so obvious)
http://www.pureoverclock.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/AshesOftheSingularity-Bench.png

I mean, you can keep trying but you'll never prove DX12 is Vishera's saviour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuchler View Post

I can pickup locally a FX-8320e with ASROCK Fatal1ty 990FX Killer AM3+ Motherboard and a free $60 game for $135 AR + tax. $60 for a EVGA 16GB DDR3-2400 kit. Then spend the rest of GPU.Not everybody has access to this deal but talking about buying a dual core and being future proof is just silly. No such thing as future proof in computer.

And soon a Zen upgrade to admit the 200$ purchase was a waste, right? It's so wrong to buy AMD right now, why would you? Zen is coming in like what 6 months orso?
post #108 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuchler View Post

No such thing as future proof in computer.

That's a lie. "16gb ram is overkill, let alone 2400mhz" is what I was told - yea, I'd say it's aged nicely.

Those on an overclocked Q6600 are certainly better off and sill have a viable cpu to this day compared to the C2D users, not a powerhouse but plenty usable even for current games.

Same argument can be saide for those who said 8 cores/threads are a waste. i7's and FX-8's have certainly aged better. Another example, how are those on 2gb GTX680's doing compared to 3gb 7970's?
Edited by SoloCamo - 6/20/16 at 9:34am
The Struggle (4k)
(20 items)
 
File Server
(12 items)
 
Lenovo G50-45
(6 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMOS
Athlon II X2 250u Nvidia 6150SE  2gb DDR3 1066mhz Windows 10 Home 64 bit 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
AMD A8-6410 AMD R5 Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR3L 1866 CAS10 Crucial BX100 250gb 
Optical DriveOS
DVD Windows 10 Home 
  hide details  
Reply
The Struggle (4k)
(20 items)
 
File Server
(12 items)
 
Lenovo G50-45
(6 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMOS
Athlon II X2 250u Nvidia 6150SE  2gb DDR3 1066mhz Windows 10 Home 64 bit 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
AMD A8-6410 AMD R5 Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR3L 1866 CAS10 Crucial BX100 250gb 
Optical DriveOS
DVD Windows 10 Home 
  hide details  
Reply
post #109 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithh View Post


(Here it's clear the CPU bottlenecking is so obvious)
http://www.pureoverclock.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/AshesOftheSingularity-Bench.png
The missing link is that this, so called, Dx12 test is merely a proof of concept. It doesn't come with AVX or XOP that benefit the architectures currently sought after, in essence it works best on cpus so relegated(SSE2) that they aren't even included for consideration in this title.
The Machine
(14 items)
 
Nexus 7 2013
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10 6800K Asus F2A85-V MSI 6870 Hawx, VTX3D 5770, AMD HD6950(RIP), Sap... G.skill Ripjaws PC12800 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 7200.5 1TB NEC 3540 Dvd-Rom Windows 7 x32 Ultimate Samsung P2350 23" 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic s12-600w CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Logitech G600 Auzen X-Fi Raider 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Quad Krait 300 at 1.5Ghz Qualcomm APQ8064-1AA SOC Adreno 320 at 400mhz 2GB DDR3L-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB Internal NAND Android 5.0 7" 1920X1200 103% sRGB & 572 cd/m2 LTPS IPS Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard 
PowerAudio
3950mAh/15.01mAh Battery Stereo Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
The Machine
(14 items)
 
Nexus 7 2013
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10 6800K Asus F2A85-V MSI 6870 Hawx, VTX3D 5770, AMD HD6950(RIP), Sap... G.skill Ripjaws PC12800 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 7200.5 1TB NEC 3540 Dvd-Rom Windows 7 x32 Ultimate Samsung P2350 23" 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic s12-600w CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Logitech G600 Auzen X-Fi Raider 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Quad Krait 300 at 1.5Ghz Qualcomm APQ8064-1AA SOC Adreno 320 at 400mhz 2GB DDR3L-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB Internal NAND Android 5.0 7" 1920X1200 103% sRGB & 572 cd/m2 LTPS IPS Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard 
PowerAudio
3950mAh/15.01mAh Battery Stereo Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #110 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithh View Post

The better question is if AMD's current line up matters or not and the answer they don't.
You fail to understand that the CPU bottleneck isn't lifted. Sure it got on par with Intel using DX12 - but the only reason why is because the GPU usage capped due to using 4x MSAA and max settings to the point the CPU is no longer a factor anymore. Using max settings and 4x msaa will always raise the GPU load regardless of how your cpu performs. Add another 980 and you'll see a huge difference between AMD & Intel again because like I said the CPU bottleneck hasn't been lifted.

(Here it's clear the CPU bottlenecking is so obvious)
http://www.pureoverclock.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/AshesOftheSingularity-Bench.png



I mean, you can keep trying but you'll never prove DX12 is Vishera's saviour.
And soon a Zen upgrade to admit the 200$ purchase was a waste, right? It's so wrong to buy AMD right now, why would you? Zen is coming in like what 6 months orso?


Alpha build benchmark you linked to (you forgot to link to website)


nice Pre-Beta Build AotS [purOC 08/2015] thumb.gif



Beta 2 add performance and stability. Why not link to a Beta 2 or even better a Final Retail version benchmark of AotS result to illustrate your point.


SO you think 1080p low graphic detail setting (DX11 : 24.8 fps | DX 12 : 34.4 fps) on old Alpha version is easier then Retail version 1440p on Crazy at 42 fps.
Clearly one of us fails to understand what a CPU bottleneck. When the FX-8370 has the sameperformance as i7-6700K under DX 12 at 4k,1440p and 1080p on Retail version of a title is is GPU limited.


Async Compute is automatic disabled when AotS detects a nVidia card. Since it give negative performance due to Software compute queue instead of Hardware.

Lets just make up stuff, since you seem like you might be good at it, fictional D3D11 can talk to the CPU with one or two cores max. Let say totally fictional new version D3D12
adds a feature that lets it talk to beyond two cores. Why not say even six cores of your CPU at the same time. Would that eliminate a CPU bottleneck ?





So if Zen is a success people buying a 8 core (4M/8T) wasted their money while a dual core intel build will be future proof because they will be able to purchase a $200- $350 quad core.

Intel has separated their high performance desktop series from mainstream for the last 7 generations. But even if they would make a 6 or 8 core LGA 1151 would you trust your $50 motherboard to handle it. Budget Future Proof PC [BFPPC] are called consoles. You should look into it.
AR 5650
(12 items)
 
AK 8320e
(12 items)
 
AR 1151
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core Supermicro C7Z170-M LGA 1151 mATX MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X 4GB Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Model TDRED4... 
CoolingPowerCase
Scythe Fuma (SCFM-1000) Twin Tower EVGA 750 GQ, 80+ GOLD 750W, Semi Modular RAIJINTEK STYX Gold, Alu Micro-ATX Case 
  hide details  
Reply
AR 5650
(12 items)
 
AK 8320e
(12 items)
 
AR 1151
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core Supermicro C7Z170-M LGA 1151 mATX MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X 4GB Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Model TDRED4... 
CoolingPowerCase
Scythe Fuma (SCFM-1000) Twin Tower EVGA 750 GQ, 80+ GOLD 750W, Semi Modular RAIJINTEK STYX Gold, Alu Micro-ATX Case 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [RT] AMD FX-6350 Versus Intel Core i3-6100 Review