Originally Posted by Haruna
Mobile cpus are really slow compared to desktop ones. Even an i7 is slow to save power.
You'll need to find one with a desktop cpu, which can be very expensive too.
Why not build an itx system? Some cases even attach to the back of a monitor.
You are among one of the biggest and most ignorant type of people that plague this subforum. They did NOT ask you for your opinion on a SFF computer. They asked for a laptop. Also, mobile CPUs are not "slow" compared to desktop models. The only
difference between the two parts are simply raw clock speed. Furthermore, if you can honestly point out the difference between a 6700K at 4GHz and a 6820HK at 4GHz, then please tell me I'm crazy for believing that mobile CPUs are anywhere near desktop parts.
Originally Posted by Vigil
Ah, so the budget is no longer $1000?
Assuming it is, I put together two potential 1k builds:
i5 6600k: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/2T9hM8
Xeon (seeing as a quad core might be better for some of the games you mentioned): http://pcpartpicker.com/list/BR8WZ8
- I'd wait for the RX480 to be released (which, if rumours are true, should be selling for ~$220).
- I preferentially selected well-known outlets (such as Amazon and Newegg. I didn't know if you had a Microcenter nearby).
- The PSU is overkill, but well regarded and selling for a decent price.
- I'm sure you can find a cheaper case, motherboard, RAM etc. I just chose brands I've had good experiences with and items that seem well reviewed.
- You could easily create a sub $800 build by downgrading the GPU and CPU.
What's wrong with you!? Seriously? He's asking the laptop users about laptops, stop trying to convert him to desktops, he isn't asking you. It's rude.
That being said, my personal recommendation is to wait for Polaris and Pascal mobile to hit and then make your purchase. That way you get the most for your dollar. I'm not sure when such things will officially release, but so far, you'll be getting at least GTX 960 performance with the entry-level ranges like the 1060M if you can believe that.Edited by Imglidinhere - 6/21/16 at 7:40pm