Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [eTeknix] AMD Confirms $229 MSRP for RX480 8GB
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[eTeknix] AMD Confirms $229 MSRP for RX480 8GB - Page 34

post #331 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevChelios View Post

launch date was 27-th as set by Nvidia, not when the reviews were published (17-th)

early reviews is just a bonus for the customers

You watch/read the review --> You like it --> Order immediately --> The next day (or two) you have the card in your PC
THAT is a bonus!
post #332 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H5OH View Post

You watch/read the review --> You like it --> Order immediately --> The next day (or two) you have the card in your PC
THAT is a bonus!
no, I do more research then that before I buy a GPU

time to think and decide as well ask some questions or opinions from reviewers is a nice bonus


Quote:
Are any 1080's or 1070's available now? NOPE
will AIB 480s be available on June 29-th ? nope

and yes AIB 1080s or 1070s are available now, you just need to hunt for them smile.gif
The Green Beast
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770K @ 4500 Mhz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
SSD Crucial M550 500GB SSD Samsung 850 Evo 1TB HDD Seagate 7200rpm 3TB Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; Xilence X5 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Acer Predator XB271HU 27" IPS Gsync 1440p 165Hz CM Storm QuickFire XT Cherry Red 800W modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Define R4 Black Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum SteelSeries QcK+ 4mm SK Gaming Realtek On-board 
  hide details  
Reply
The Green Beast
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770K @ 4500 Mhz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
SSD Crucial M550 500GB SSD Samsung 850 Evo 1TB HDD Seagate 7200rpm 3TB Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; Xilence X5 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Acer Predator XB271HU 27" IPS Gsync 1440p 165Hz CM Storm QuickFire XT Cherry Red 800W modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Define R4 Black Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum SteelSeries QcK+ 4mm SK Gaming Realtek On-board 
  hide details  
Reply
post #333 of 503
The hype train for the RX 480 is very much alive right now.

The way I look at it (if the proposed leaks are true), the RX 480 is roughly equal to that of a GTX 980. Now, keep in mind that GTX 980 SLI is roughly equal to a 1080. So a 1080 is roughly 70-80% faster than an RX 480.

Now keep in mind that the GTX 1070 is roughly 15-20% slower than the 1080. So that means the GTX 1070 is something like 50% faster than the RX 480, and that's before you overclock either card. I know there are some of you that want the RX 480 to hit GTX 1070 levels of performance, but it's just not going to. It's virtually impossible at this point.

Now there is one area where the RX 480 has nailed Nvidia to the wall: value. Since the RX 480 8GB @ $230 is far cheaper than the GTX 1070 @ $400+, suddenly that 50% lead in performance doesn't make a whole lot of sense... unless you're in my shoes where I have a high resolution 3440x1440 monitor that NEEDS the GTX 1070's power to run newer games at higher settings.

The takeaway from this is that the RX 480 is going to be an excellent card for what it is... but it's not going to be the 2nd coming of Christ like many of you are treating it to be.
Everest - Intel
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4790k Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 16GB (2x8) Patriot Viper 1866Mhz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 3TB, WD 500GB HDD, WD 640GB HD Samsung 850 EVO 512GB Samsung DVD-Burner Corsair H110 w/ Dual Aerocool DS 140mm fans 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro Dell S2716DG (1440p, 144hz Gsync) AOC U3477 PQU (3440x1440 IPS) Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Evga SuperNOVA 750 G2 NZXT Phantom 530 Black Logitech G502 Proteus Core Corsair MM400 
AudioAudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC/AMP Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones HyperX Cloud Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
Everest - Intel
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4790k Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 16GB (2x8) Patriot Viper 1866Mhz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 3TB, WD 500GB HDD, WD 640GB HD Samsung 850 EVO 512GB Samsung DVD-Burner Corsair H110 w/ Dual Aerocool DS 140mm fans 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro Dell S2716DG (1440p, 144hz Gsync) AOC U3477 PQU (3440x1440 IPS) Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Evga SuperNOVA 750 G2 NZXT Phantom 530 Black Logitech G502 Proteus Core Corsair MM400 
AudioAudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC/AMP Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones HyperX Cloud Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
post #334 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightDee8D View Post

GG 3.5/4 thumb.gif

Hey! It's still technically 4gb of memory. It was a misunderstanding between the marketing and tech department. Plus, you don't need the additional 500megs of memory anyways. It's not like the 970 is VR ready or anything.

And I mean, the RX 480 is just such a dumb card in the first place. I mean, the fact that the chief engineer named it after himself (Raja Xtreme) should tell you a lot.
post #335 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShillChelios View Post

Hey! It's still technically 4gb of memory. It was a misunderstanding between the marketing and tech department. Plus, you don't need the additional 500megs of memory anyways. It's not like the 970 is VR ready or anything.

And I mean, the RX 480 is just such a dumb card in the first place. I mean, the fact that the chief engineer named it after himself (Raja Xtreme) should tell you a lot.

i agree . redface.gif
post #336 of 503
What do you guys think? Is the extra 4GB worth it for $30 more? I was hoping it would be $220 but I guess they didn't want to cannibalize the 4GB sales.

thanks.png
post #337 of 503
Techfrag says 8000 units in North America ready for launch

http://techfrag.com/2016/06/23/amd-rx-480-in-large-supplies/
post #338 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by sianturisian View Post

What do you guys think? Is the extra 4GB worth it for $30 more? I was hoping it would be $220 but I guess they didn't want to cannibalize the 4GB sales.

thanks.png

I guess so, according to raja this gpu is designed for next 2-3 years, and that extra vram will let you use hyper uber whatever texture settings. iit will also help with resale value.
post #339 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pistol View Post

The hype train for the RX 480 is very much alive right now.

The way I look at it (if the proposed leaks are true), the RX 480 is roughly equal to that of a GTX 980. Now, keep in mind that GTX 980 SLI is roughly equal to a 1080. So a 1080 is roughly 70-80% faster than an RX 480.

Now keep in mind that the GTX 1070 is roughly 15-20% slower than the 1080. So that means the GTX 1070 is something like 50% faster than the RX 480, and that's before you overclock either card. I know there are some of you that want the RX 480 to hit GTX 1070 levels of performance, but it's just not going to. It's virtually impossible at this point.

Now there is one area where the RX 480 has nailed Nvidia to the wall: value. Since the RX 480 8GB @ $230 is far cheaper than the GTX 1070 @ $400+, suddenly that 50% lead in performance doesn't make a whole lot of sense... unless you're in my shoes where I have a high resolution 3440x1440 monitor that NEEDS the GTX 1070's power to run newer games at higher settings.

The takeaway from this is that the RX 480 is going to be an excellent card for what it is... but it's not going to be the 2nd coming of Christ like many of you are treating it to be.

WTH? How could it be 70-80% faster than a single card if two cards match it in crossfire? Are you trying to justify your 1070 purchase?

If two 480s match a 1080 in crossfire providing it was 100% scaling that would mean the 1080 was 50% faster than a single 480.


My brain is not functioning this morning... nothing to see here... time to get some caffeine.
Edited by nagle3092 - 6/23/16 at 11:12am
 
Media Server
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 4770K MSI Z97S Krait XFX RX 480 Black Edition XFX RX 480 Black Edition 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill Trident X 2666mhz Intel 530 Sandisk Extreme Pro LG WH14NS40 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG WH16NS40 Noctua NH-D14 Win 10 64-Bit BenQ XL2730Z 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G710+ Seasonic Platinum 1000w Fractal Design R5 Zowie FK1+ 
Mouse PadOtherOther
XTrac Ripper XXL  4 x Vardar F-4 120mm (2x NH-D14, 2x Bottom Intake) 3 x Vardar F-3 140mm Intake (two front, one side) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Celeron J1800 QNAP Proprietary  Intel HD Graphics Crucial 8GB Kit 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4TB Western Digital Red Pro 4TB Western Digital Red Pro 4TB Western Digital Red Pro 4TB Western Digital Red Pro 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Stock Embedded Linux External, 96 W, 100-240 V TS-451 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Media Server
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 4770K MSI Z97S Krait XFX RX 480 Black Edition XFX RX 480 Black Edition 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill Trident X 2666mhz Intel 530 Sandisk Extreme Pro LG WH14NS40 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG WH16NS40 Noctua NH-D14 Win 10 64-Bit BenQ XL2730Z 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G710+ Seasonic Platinum 1000w Fractal Design R5 Zowie FK1+ 
Mouse PadOtherOther
XTrac Ripper XXL  4 x Vardar F-4 120mm (2x NH-D14, 2x Bottom Intake) 3 x Vardar F-3 140mm Intake (two front, one side) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Celeron J1800 QNAP Proprietary  Intel HD Graphics Crucial 8GB Kit 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4TB Western Digital Red Pro 4TB Western Digital Red Pro 4TB Western Digital Red Pro 4TB Western Digital Red Pro 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Stock Embedded Linux External, 96 W, 100-240 V TS-451 
  hide details  
Reply
post #340 of 503
This thread has taken a turn. Can I play too?

I really like AMD and want them to succeed, that's why I go into every thread vaguely related to any product they make and talk about how they are doomed and no one in their right minds should buy their products.
Because I Can
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 MSI 7870 TFIII (1245/1450) 16GB G-Skill 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
64GB Samsung 830 1TB WD Blue ASUS DVD+RW Corsair H60 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate 23" WS + 19" Seasonic X-750 CM Elite 430 
Audio
Logitech Z523 
  hide details  
Reply
Because I Can
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 MSI 7870 TFIII (1245/1450) 16GB G-Skill 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
64GB Samsung 830 1TB WD Blue ASUS DVD+RW Corsair H60 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate 23" WS + 19" Seasonic X-750 CM Elite 430 
Audio
Logitech Z523 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [eTeknix] AMD Confirms $229 MSRP for RX480 8GB